Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tough (and scary) talk from Akio Toyoda

Old 10-04-09, 04:06 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Way to try to bait people...no one said that report was false, what happened was you were corrected on Accounting methods in that thread.

The CEO is acknoledging what we already know. Just as we already knew BMW has lost millions even longer as their leases killed them (and continue to do so).

Don't be surprised if Toyota buys BMW. They have the cash to do so.
This was no bait.. But what I posted sure did bite you huh?

I don't work for BMW & their money troubles has no bearing on my finances. Its Sunday.. Just browsing the net & emails.. Do what you do...
Old 10-04-09, 04:08 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Ford managed to survive virtually unhindered, I'm fairly certain that Toyota can as well.
Old 10-04-09, 04:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
This was no bait.. But what I posted sure did bite you huh?

I don't work for BMW & their money troubles has no bearing on my finances. Its Sunday.. Just browsing the net & emails.. Do what you do...
No, your post was something out of C&D...

Originally Posted by FisforFast
If Ford managed to survive virtually unhindered, I'm fairly certain that Toyota can as well.
He's warning them that they got complacent.....he's also probably pissed they didn't see the economic crisis coming so they ramped UP when they should have ramped DOWN.

Old 10-04-09, 04:13 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

He's warning them that they got complacent.....he's also probably pissed they didn't see the economic crisis coming so they ramped UP when they should have ramped DOWN.
I personally believe they saw it coming but assumed that they would be relatively unaffected by it and thus did not plan accordingly for it.
Old 10-04-09, 11:50 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Way to try to bait people...no one said that report was false, what happened was you were corrected on Accounting methods in that thread.

The CEO is acknoledging what we already know. Just as we already knew BMW has lost millions even longer as their leases killed them (and continue to do so).

Don't be surprised if Toyota buys BMW. They have the cash to do so.
Toyota definitely has the cash. As of March 31, 2009 Toyota had over $25 Billion in cash and Cash Equivalents alone.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=TM&annual

And yes, if Toyota wanted to purchase BMW it is possible...
Old 10-05-09, 06:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I agree with you. However, the point of my post was more to do with the relationship between rapid growth and poor customer service, not product. We all know Toyota builds superior products but I don't agree that Toyota's drop in customer base has anything to do with the size of the company. Like you said, it's product, I simply added poor customer service at the dealer level. It's certainly not, as Toyota claims, because they're too big.
I disagree, I think Toyota's demise has to do with their drop in quality and their cost of production. Too much cost cutting will come back and bite you in the ares sooner or later.

Originally Posted by Trexus
Toyota definitely has the cash. As of March 31, 2009 Toyota had over $25 Billion in cash and Cash Equivalents alone.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=TM&annual

And yes, if Toyota wanted to purchase BMW it is possible...
25 Billion is not a lot of money when you are as big as Toyota. Thinking back to 2008, GM were losing 16 Billion a quarter.

Last edited by The G Man; 10-05-09 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-05-09, 06:33 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
I disagree, I think Toyota's demise has to do with their drop in quality and their cost of production. Too much cost cutting will come back and bite you in the ares sooner or later.
Hahahahaha .... Troll.
Old 10-05-09, 06:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Hahahahaha .... Troll.
Mr F, I think you can put down that Toyota Kool Aid now, you are cut off
Old 10-05-09, 07:26 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

25 Billion is not a lot of money when you are as big as Toyota. Thinking back to 2008, GM were losing 16 Billion a quarter.
That is 25 Billion in liquid assets ALONE. Tell me, what other automaker in the world today has 25 Billion just in cash or liquid assets ?

Look at Toyota's NET assets, they are over 100 BILLION.

Toyota is not GM. The management differences, if you actually knew a bit about both companies and how they run, are night and day. Toyota won't make the same mistakes that GM did. Toyota did take a wrong turn over these past few years, but now they have a member of the Toyoda family running the company and he is steering the corporate ship back on course, away from the iceberg. GM hit the iceberg years ago, and their Titanic ship was slowly sinking until they hit bankruptcy this year.
Old 10-05-09, 07:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota has plenty of cash. Balance sheet looks much stronger than Ford's, considered to be the best of the Big 3.
Old 10-05-09, 07:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Toyota won't make the same mistakes that GM did. Toyota did take a wrong turn over these past few years, but now they have a member of the Toyoda family running the company and he is steering the corporate ship back on course, away from the iceberg. GM hit the iceberg years ago, and their Titanic ship was slowly sinking until they hit bankruptcy this year.
That I will agree with you, Toyota will the make the same mistake as others have. If there is one thing Toyota is good at, it is learning from someone else's mistakes.
Old 10-05-09, 09:11 AM
Trexus

Dude, one really has to learn how to read a Balance sheet. First as TRDFantasy pointed out Toyota's Total Current Assets are well over $115 Billion, Total Assets are over $295 Billion. Do you even know how much Toyota is worth? That's right about $117 Billion dollars. I could go on further but I'm sure that would bore you...
Old 10-05-09, 10:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Dude, one really has to learn how to read a Balance sheet. First as TRDFantasy pointed out Toyota's Total Current Assets are well over $115 Billion, Total Assets are over $295 Billion. Do you even know how much Toyota is worth? That's right about $117 Billion dollars. I could go on further but I'm sure that would bore you...
And how long will you think 117 Billion will last if they lose 17 Billion a quarter like GM did. Let me do the math for you, less than 2 years.
Old 10-05-09, 10:26 AM
Trexus

And how long will you think 117 Billion will last if they lose 17 Billion a quarter like GM did. Let me do the math for you, less than 2 years.
Toyota isn't losing $17 Billion a quarter like GM did. So Toyota will be around for a very long time...GM should have died back in December 2008...
Old 10-05-09, 10:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota isn't losing $17 Billion a quarter like GM did. So Toyota will be around for a very long time...GM should have died back in December 2008...
All I saying is that it is possible. A 100 billion dollar asset can vanish just like that, GM is living prove. So to say that the Toyota's president is creating too much of a sense of urgency is untrue. When you are playing with tens of billions of dollars a year, two or three big mistakes can sink the whole company.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tough (and scary) talk from Akio Toyoda