Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

National Geographic Documentary: The Science of Motorcycle Crashes

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 07:41 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default National Geographic Documentary: The Science of Motorcycle Crashes

National Geographic Channel looks at the technologies used to avoid (and survive) motorcycle crashes

Although its considered by many as the worse-case scenario for riders, there are technologies and a science to the dreaded motorcycle crash.

Tonight (9/17/09) on the National Geographic Channel takes an extraordinary behind-the-scenes look at the new technologies being used to avoid motorcycle crashes and prevent injuries or even death when a racer or rider does go down.

The film captures stunning action photography of world-class test riders Vito Guareschi (Alpinestars, Nolan, and Ducati) and Umberto Rumiano (MV Agusta) in action during what are normally closed test sessions of new riding gear and motorcycles.

Its produced by Cry Havoc Productions, an award-winning documentary film company specializing in Moto-related films, Motorcycle Crash Tech includes exclusive interviews with racer Neil Hodgson and the legendary Giacomo Agostini.

Brembo factory riders are also filmed testing the company's newest brakes on twisting Italian mountain roads and performing incredible braking tests on Brembo's private test track.

With rare access to the R & D facilities and research departments at Alpinestars, Brembo, Nolan, and MV Agusta, the film chronicles the very latest technologies being used in motorcycle riding gear, boots, helmets, brakes, and the bikes themselves to make racing and riding safer.

For those who can't wait until the documentary airs at 9pm, there are photos and videos on the National Geographic Channel's website.

National Geographic webpage for Motorcycle Documentary

and

Video of how an Alpinestar Motorcycle Suit is made

Old 09-17-09, 08:38 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I rarely make plans to watch tv but I will be watching this.
Old 09-17-09, 08:43 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the last 4 years, I have wrecked about 8 times at the track. One time my speed was around 90 MPH when I low-sided. Thanks to the protective gear and the technologies that goes into it, I have walked away from all crashes without any major injury.

I am very interested in watching this program.
Thanks for the post.