Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW debuts Golf R20 @ Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 04:50 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Nice car, surprising that nobody has yet to call this bland and unoriginal as people tend to do with most Toyota/Lexus products .

Not a big fan of the center exhausts, they look awkward. Otherwise an elegant hatch with some aggression to it.
Seriously, it never did anything for me. Take a box, drop it, add Audi wheels, add a bodykit and an exhaust like it has 500hp. Its the same formula but its no 911.

Maybe I'm missing something......but I've never been a fan of boxes outside the old Volvo 850R

Old 09-15-09, 05:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks good, nice car for the youngsters, it looks like a new mini cooper without the silver hat.
Old 09-15-09, 09:41 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks smoking. Indeed an attractive vehicle from VAG
Old 09-15-09, 09:46 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
Needs more VR6
VW/Audi dropped the vr6 because it didnt meat emissions standards sigh.. If this is going to be priced under 30k preferably in 25k it would sell like hot cakes.
Old 09-15-09, 11:11 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Nice car, surprising that nobody has yet to call this bland and unoriginal as people tend to do with most Toyota/Lexus products .
Well, that comment usually has to do with the driving experience (IS, IS-F notwithstanding) and less so with the styling. Golfs Rs have traditionally been pocket rockets.
Old 09-15-09, 11:45 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I love it! My dream car!
Old 09-15-09, 01:40 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bad co
VW/Audi dropped the vr6 because it didnt meat emissions standards sigh.. If this is going to be priced under 30k preferably in 25k it would sell like hot cakes.
I'm gonna miss that signature sound of a VR6 smashing past now - it was a delightful feral shriek...
Old 09-15-09, 02:47 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Looks good...
Old 09-15-09, 03:09 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Seriously, it never did anything for me. Take a box, drop it, add Audi wheels, add a bodykit and an exhaust like it has 500hp. Its the same formula but its no 911.

Maybe I'm missing something......but I've never been a fan of boxes outside the old Volvo 850R
Agreed. The cars have been good cars, but never really excited me. I never found the GTI or any R VWs to be very appealing personally, mainly due to the styling.

Originally Posted by speedflex
Well, that comment usually has to do with the driving experience (IS, IS-F notwithstanding) and less so with the styling. Golfs Rs have traditionally been pocket rockets.
For most recent examples, look at the LF-Ch/CT thread, or even to a smaller extent the LF-A threads. Some people call the LF-Ch plain and very boring style-wise, yet cars like this VW are not?

In the LF-A threads people have even called the LF-A design boring, which is ironic since the production car has not been unveiled yet.

It's as if some enthusiasts are psychologically predisposed to criticize the styling of a new Lexus model, even before it's unveiled.
Old 09-15-09, 03:17 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

This is a neat looking little car. Clean and purposeful but I agree. There are far more exciting looking small hatches on the planet. The new Audi A-1 being just one of them. Heck, even the European Ford Focus RS looks hotter.
Old 09-15-09, 07:31 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Looks like the other one and Audi wants its wheels back
and its engine

but I think it looks hot.........................as long as its priced right it'll be a hit.
Old 09-15-09, 08:33 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

its going to be one overpriced hot hatch vs Ford's offerings
Old 09-16-09, 10:02 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can it exceed 500 units/month in sales in the US....
Old 10-07-09, 11:27 AM
LexFather

http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-v...r-for-u-s.html

Report: VW confirms hotter GTI-R for U.S.
10/07/2009, 12:18 PMBy Drew Johnson
Volkswagen has confirmed that a version of its Golf R hot hatch – first displayed at last month’s Frankfurt Motor Show – will be sold in the United States. Filling the void left by the departure of the R32, the Golf R will be known as the GTI-R in the U.S.

Like the show car, the U.S. version of the Golf GTI-R will be powered by a 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder. Despite being down two-cylinders from the previous R32, the GTI-R will generate 265 horsepower, making it the most-powerful production Golf to date. Power will be sent to all four wheels.

GTI-R buyers will have the option of a conventional manual transmission or VW’s popular DSG semi-automatic unit. Swapping your own cogs will result in a 0-60 run of 5.7 seconds while the DSG gearbox drops that figure to just 5.5 seconds. Top speed will be electronically limited to 155mph. Fuel economy is still rather good for that kind of performance, netting a 27.6 mpg average.

Look for the GTI-R to hit U.S. VW dealerships sometime next year with a slight premium over the standard GTI model."

Old 10-07-09, 12:38 PM
JessePS

yum!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: VW debuts Golf R20 @ Frankfurt