Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trio of cars make a clean sweep of autopacific’s 2009 awards

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 10:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Trio of cars make a clean sweep of autopacific’s 2009 awards

TRIO OF CARS MAKE A CLEAN SWEEP OF AUTOPACIFIC’S 2009 AWARDS

Luxury and Economy Cars Stand Out in Data from 32,000 Consumers

TUSTIN, Calif. (September 1, 2009) – Three cars stand above the crowd of 2009 model year vehicles, as judged by owners participating in research firm AutoPacific's annual survey. Of the vehicles that earned honors in AutoPacific's 2009 awards, only the Lexus LS, Lexus ES and Honda Fit topped their segments in each contest: the Vehicle Satisfaction Award, the Ideal Vehicle Award, the Motorist Choice Award (presented jointly with IntelliChoice.com) and Owner Recommendations.

Data collected by AutoPacific from more than 32,000 new vehicle owners rated 2009 vehicles on 48 vehicle attributes related to satisfaction, value, comfort, styling, size, performance, reliability, fuel economy and more. The winning vehicles best met their owner's expectations.

“Winning one award is quite an achievement, and proof an automaker is able to meet its customers’ needs,” said George Peterson, President of AutoPacific. “But winning all four honors in a single year shows that Lexus and Honda are able to provide what their customers want in a reliable, satisfying vehicle; a single car owners are proud to recommend to their friends and family.”

The 2009 Lexus LS is no stranger to AutoPacific accolades, having won Vehicle Satisfaction Award (VSA) honors nine times before in the Premium Luxury Car segment. LS owners cite its dependability, quality, safety, performance and reliability, while enjoying a brand known for its upscale image and reputation. “Lexus comes through by consistently placing the ownership experience at the top of the priority list,” said Peterson.

Lexus also enjoyed an AutoPacific grand slam with the Lexus ES, which swept the Luxury Mid-size Car segment. The ES's combination of luxury features, ride quality and reputation for safety and reliability resonates with its owners. “Lexus owners are very satisfied with their vehicles, and it’s clear Lexus designs and builds vehicles finely tuned to its target buyers,” said Peterson. “Lexus’ performance, luxury, safety and dependability truly match its cars’ reputation.”

Redesigned for the 2009 model year, the Honda Fit dominated the Economy Car segment, torching the competition with top scores for reliability, dependability and value for the money. Owners also cited the Fit's clever interior, which features an easy-to-read instrument panel, excellent visibility, changeable seating, storage compartments and ease of getting in and out of the car. “Honda’s reputation drew people to the Fit, and the product won them over,” said Peterson. “Good things – in this case reliability, value and quality – come through in this small package from Honda.”

“Car buyers take many factors into consideration – styling, safety features, dependability, fuel economy and more,” says George Peterson, president of AutoPacific. “AutoPacific award winners deliver the most of what consumers are really looking for in their vehicles.”

About AutoPacific

AutoPacific is a future-oriented automotive marketing research and product-consulting firm. Every year AutoPacific publishes a wide variety of syndicated studies on the automotive industry. The firm, founded in 1986, also conducts extensive proprietary research and consulting for auto manufacturers, distributors, marketers and suppliers worldwide. Company headquarters and its state-of-the-art automotive research facility are in Tustin, California, with an affiliate office in the Detroit area.
via theautochannel.com
Old 09-01-09, 11:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Congrats to the LS and ES. Maybe not the most exciting categories, but they're areas that promote repeat purchases which all manufacturers covet.
Old 09-01-09, 11:34 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I never understood the appeal of the ES. Maybe when I turn 60 I will understand.
Old 09-01-09, 12:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
I never understood the appeal of the ES. Maybe when I turn 60 I will understand.
If don't have to be 60 to enjoy great fit and finish, great looks and great quality in a comfortable interior with a large trunk.

I guess people need to be douches to understand a G35/G37?

Old 09-01-09, 12:25 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Congrats to the LS/ES/Fit! Trifecta!
Old 09-01-09, 12:31 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its okay if you don't. Cuz they apparently are really well off without your ES ownership experience lol
Old 09-01-09, 12:36 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If don't have to be 60 to enjoy great fit and finish, great looks and great quality in a comfortable interior with a large trunk.

I guess people need to be douches to understand a G35/G37?
Who pissed in your cereal this morning? Oh sorry, I'm not supposed to say anything bad about any Lexus since it's a Lexus forum.

I drove an ES on a couple of occasions, and it's similar to be injected with Novocain then driving an isolation chamber on wheels.
Old 09-01-09, 12:39 PM
LexFather

Who pissed in your cereal this morning? Oh sorry, I'm not supposed to say anything bad about any Lexus since it's a Lexus forum.

I drove an ES on a couple of occasions, and it's similar to be injected with Novocain then driving an isolation chamber on wheels.
You kid at ES, I kid at G35/37 You stereotyped, I stereotyped. Its not fun when the shoe is on the other foot is it.

You do realize a lot of people want the "Novocaine". Hell the ES outsells the G35/37 every month. Not everyone is a boy racer or wants a car that vibrates like a 3 years old. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 09-01-09, 12:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicely done by Lexus, not sure how much these awards mean to most.
Old 09-01-09, 01:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

You're probably not too far off in your assessment.

With cars like the ES and RX Lexus has those target consumers nailed.
Old 09-01-09, 02:04 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The ES is serene - the cabin is dead quiet and the ride is silky. I don't like the dash of the new ES though, the center stack is odd and out of place.
Old 09-01-09, 02:21 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What? so you can take a jab at older people and we cant return the favor??
Old 09-01-09, 02:33 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the ES by any means but I'm having a hard time understanding how somebody with a 2007 RX350 in their signature can talk down about people who like the ES350. They share the same platform, powertrain, and many other components. The RX drives so similarly to the ES that I can't even understand how you could say the above with a straight face.
Old 09-01-09, 02:39 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I've always liked the styling of the ES. Unfortunately, it doesn't get it's share of respect from many so-called auto enthusiasts.

Car reviews these days have columns for horsepower, torque, 0-60 times, but they never talk about comfort, quietness, and the "smooth" ride. There are so many qualitative elements to a car that enthusiasts commonly overlook. Obviously, people who buy the ES are satisfied with these elements.

I remember watching TV in the late 80's and they would review cars where they have a decible meter to measure interior road noise. Whatever happened to this?
Old 09-01-09, 02:42 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

I used to say similar things, too, when I was 20. I'm 46 now and we just got rid of our IS350. Although hot rod blood still runs in my veins, and I do miss the power of the IS350, we needed something larger, and more comfortable. The IS was a great car but I won't miss the horrible road noise and stiff ride. So what did we get? I'm almost embarrassed to say but we got a 2009 ES350. It is, as you say, boring as hell. Numb. Unresponsive steering. But man, is it nice. Quiet as hell. Comfortable. Serene. It coddles in complete and total luxury, which, at my age, can enjoy. Things just change when you get older. I don't feel bad about it.

Quick Reply: Trio of cars make a clean sweep of autopacific’s 2009 awards