Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Happy 20th Birthday Lexus!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-09, 12:51 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
The LS was made as a Lexus and rebadged as a Toyota not the other way around...
My mistake, thanks for pointing that out. The Lexus LS400 was re-badge in the home market and named Toyota Celsior. Either way, the V8 LS was largely responsible for the success of the Lexus brand.
Old 09-02-09, 11:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

happy birthday Lexus!!!! I am amazed hat this company has dominated the luxury market in less than 20 years. Very commendable and even more impressive
Old 09-03-09, 01:11 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy Birthday Lexus! i wish i could toast to this but im deployed
Old 11-26-09, 11:29 PM
LexFather

Quite a few 2010 releases!

Old 11-26-09, 11:39 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lexus is now, as of November 2009, 20 years and 3 months...the LFA was released in October, even closely coinciding with the 20 year mark. There have been quiet celebrations, and I didn't see any print or television marketing around the topic...perhaps @ 25 years? Or perhaps Lexus needs not remind others of its age; several articles I've read have said something to the effect of, "It's hard to imagine, but Lexus is only 20 years old..." or "it seems like Lexus has been around for a lot longer" etc. In any case, recently Lexus Global manager Toshio Furutani gave interviews at a UAE event, noting that Lexus has been consistently #1 or #2 in sales in the Gulf region.

http://www.ameinfo.com/216510.html

Lexus celebrates twenty years of excellence with top ten position in UAE
United Arab Emirates: Wednesday, November 18 - 2009 at 12:0

Mr Furutani concluded, "Lexus has come a long way in 20 years, but the next 10 are even more exciting and important for us. From a product point of view, we will expand our offerings into new segments and introduce exciting new derivatives of existing models, especially aiming to attract young affluent buyers. With every new Lexus, we aim to inject aspects of a more enjoyable or fun to drive feeling as well as more leading edge solutions, like the Lexus Hybrid Drive. Our aim is to be able to rollout new models, but also new technologies, across more markets faster than in the past. In particular, we look forward to the GCC becoming one of our fastest and most important markets in the near future."

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....69952/1089/rss

Lexus ‘resets its compass’ to cope with new global economic realities
Georgia Lewis

Toshio Furutani, the senior managing director of Global Lexus, says the brand’s concept first came about in North America in the early 1980s. “Lexus was initially developed after learning that many of our existing Toyota customers were looking for a luxury car with the quality and reliability of Toyota,” says Furutani. “After studying the luxury car offerings at the time, we felt there was a unique, unmet need ... that we could fill, and this became Lexus.

“Generally, we are most often compared to and shopped against BMW, Audi and Mercedes-Benz.”

The brand philosophy sets Lexus apart from other premium badges, according to Furutani. “Basically we are developing Lexus to be the benchmark of what we call ‘Progressive Luxury’, which is a type of luxury that doesn’t stand still or rely on heritage to define it’s products and services,” he says.

“We follow a philosophy called the ‘Yet Philosophy’ – this is the idea of pursuing uncompromising solutions by combining seemingly incompatible ideas, such as high performance yet highly efficient. Another example is high function yet very easy to use.”

Multiple awards and technical innovations are seen by Furutani as the biggest achievements for Lexus over the past 20 years. He says these include customer service awards, creating the luxury crossover segment with the RX300 in 1998, the introduction of a hybrid luxury vehicle with the RX450h in 2005 and subsequent hybrids since then, as well as Pre-Crash Safety technology and the world’s first eight-speed automatic transmission in the LS460.

Furutani describes the global economic downturn as “a turning point for Lexus.”

“This is an opportunity to quickly reset our compass to align with the rapidly changing luxury market,” he says. The company will focus on advances in safety and convenience as well as further development of “environmentally responsible solutions.”

At the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show, Lexus launched the LF-Ch hybrid, the LS600h hybrid, a revised IS, GS and LS. At the Dubai Motor Show this year, Lexus will also show a race car version of their Supercar LF-A concept.

Furutani is quick to emphasise that a less robust economic climate is no excuse for complacency. “During tougher business climates, we reconfirm our core values and not reduce our standards,’ he says. “So, while we may reduce our marketing spend and business expenses, we don’t cut corners in product quality or customer care.”

Since the downturn, Furutani says the US market is gaining momentum and Canada is ahead of its 2008 sales already.

In the GCC, Furutani says the region continues as one of Lexus’s strongest market shares, and sales have kept pace with the global average “consistently posting number one or number two in luxury sales.”

“We look forward to great opportunities to grow our Lexus business in the GCC, based on our customer and dealer feedback.

“In our second largest market, China, we have started to see a very strong rebound and in fact we expect them to post strong gains for the remainder of the year,” he adds.

Progressive, environmentally friendly luxury is the mantra that Furutani hopes will carry Lexus forward. “Our investment in hybrid technology will continue to be a strong example of this idea and we also have plans to expand our line-up with new luxury concepts and very unique derivatives of existing models,” he says.
Old 11-27-09, 08:59 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Quite a few 2010 releases!
Yeah tell me about it. It's been a super busy October and November!