Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS and Infiniti G37 Convertible comparo

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-09, 07:15 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus IS and Infiniti G37 Convertible comparo

Double-Date Droptops: Four Seats, Hold the Baggage

The Lexus IS and the Infiniti G37.
Article Tools Sponsored By
By LAWRENCE ULRICH
Published: August 21, 2009

A FOUR-SEAT convertible cannot quite match the romance of a true roadster — think Grace Kelly and Cary Grant rubbing elbows in a Sunbeam Alpine in “To Catch a Thief.” (Grace even did the driving, something you’ll never, ever see in a Michael Bay movie.)

The Lexus IS retractable hardtop comes with either a 2.5- or 3.5-liter V-6 engine. Some 13 electric motors lower the aluminum roof in a flash. More Photos »

But since most people don’t get to zip along the French Riviera in Technicolor — or enjoy the income of a jewel thief — a four-seat convertible is the real-world compromise. See, honey, there is room for a car seat.

These double-date convertibles include relatively inexpensive cars with little pretense of sportiness; a U.V.-enabling roof is often their sole personality trait. (The Toyota Camry Solara and Chrysler Sebring come to mind.)

At the other end are droptops that go totally over the top, like the Bentley Continental GTC and the Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupé.

In the middle stand four-place convertibles like the 2009 Infiniti G37 and 2010 Lexus IS, which strive to offer a bit of everything — looks and luxury, windblown performance and modest practicality — for less money than the cheapest Porsche. Both the G37 and IS have retracting metal roofs, and both descend from sport sedans, though Infiniti also offers a coupe that’s the direct basis of this convertible.

If the dilettante Sebring scores a 1 on the serious-convertible spectrum, and a Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder is a perfect 10, give the Lexus a solid 6 and the Infiniti a 7. Unsurprisingly, the Infiniti is more frolicsome while the Lexus presses its brand advantages in luxury and refinement, including a roof that works faster and smoother. But both cars come with compromises, especially the meager top-down trunk space that can leave owners literally holding the bag.

The Infiniti and Lexus look smartly built and presentable. But honestly, neither seems born to be a convertible.

As with most folding hardtops, making room to store those Rube Goldberg roofs requires a long rear deck that messes with the visual proportions of the underlying coupe. Throw in tall beltlines — the line that runs below the side windows — and both cars look handsome from some angles but doughy from others, in that soup-dumpling manner common to Asian coupes.

While the Infiniti manages to look reasonably pert from behind, the Lexus has a wicked case of Solara butt. But if the Lexus is no swan, dropping the roof does make it less of a waddling goose. Viewed in convertible profile, that big deck suddenly looks imposing, and the Lexus’s crouched stance and short front overhang come into focus.

Inside, the cars fuss over front-seat occupants, comforting them in supportive seats (Infiniti’s are sharper looking and better-bolstered), surrounding them with symphonic sound and amusing them with lots of buttons to play with. Deduct points for Infiniti’s dash-mounted control system, an ergonomic bomb with a rotary ****, a touch screen and too many redundant switches.

For those relegated to the rear of either car, one-touch buttons slide and pivot the front seats for easier entry and exit. Yet these cars are essentially 2-plus-2s. The Infiniti, for example, loses roughly three inches of legroom and more than six inches of hip and shoulder room compared with the G37 coupe. Tall adults barely fit unless the people up front slide their seats forward to share the space.

Both cars have features that are not found on their donor models. For the Infiniti, an optional Bose Open Air audio system adds useful speakers in the front headrests, along with noise cancellation and automatic equalization changes for crisper sound when the top is down. No question, the Infiniti’s audio system was superior when contending with a stiff breeze.

The G37’s climate system adjusts temperature and fan speed based on roof position, ambient temperature and vehicle speed. The IS makes its adjustments depending on the outside temperature, the vehicle’s speed, the roof’s position and the sunlight in the cabin.

While the Infiniti’s roof opens or closes in about 28 seconds, the Lexus is quicker and smarter on the draw. Operated by 13 electric motors and 33 sensors, with no hydraulics, this is the fastest three-piece top in the West, opening or closing in 20 seconds. For smoothness and quiet, the IS’s roof slows down near the end of its travel in both directions; the G37’s roof made an annoying wallop as it settled in. And while the IS automatically lifts the side windows after the roof swings shut, the G37 makes you operate the windows separately.

I got caught in rainstorms in both vehicles, and discovered that the Infiniti’s top also makes a surprising racket when it’s being pelted, like a Caribbean house with a tin roof. Beneath the Lexus’s aluminum top, all I could hear were drops on the windshield.

Lifting the Infiniti’s enormous trunk lid feels like curling a bowling ball. Lexus’s lid is large Lexus’s lid is large but more wieldy.

With roofs down, you can pack up your troubles, but not much else, in the scanty trunks. Lowering the IS’s top cuts cargo space by more than 75 percent, to 2.4 cubic feet from 10.8. The G37 coupe’s 10.3 cubic-foot compartment shrinks to 2 cubic feet once the roof is folded into the trunk.

I’ve groused before about these trendy origami hardtops, and the Lexus and Infiniti take storage to new lows: neither trunk can accommodate even one wheeled carry-on bag when the sun is warming the cabin. A small backpack, rollerblades, a sport jacket and a takeout container nearly filled the Lexus’s space.

For comparison, a far shrimpier softtop, the Mini Cooper convertible, offers three times as much top-down space as the Infiniti. And thanks to its ingenious roof design, the BMW 3 Series hardtop convertible carves out 7.4 cubic feet of trunk when the roof is down, more than triple the space of the IS and G37.

The upside is that, compared with two-seat roadsters, a traveling couple can at least pile the back seat with luggage. Once those bags are secured, the cars can quickly focus the driver on the road ahead, rather than on the gear behind.

It’s here that the Infiniti distinguishes itself, with performance only slightly muted from the Bimmer-buzzing heights of the G37 sedan and coupe. The 3.7-liter V-6 (325 horsepower and 267 pound-feet of torque) sounds a frisky note in the cabin, and drives the G37 from a standstill to 60 miles an hour in 5.5 seconds, according to Car and Driver magazine. A 7-speed automatic model, starting at $44,715, features both optional magnesium paddle shifters and a smartly aggressive sport-automatic mode that matches revs on downshifts.

For just $50 more, the G37 6 MT ($44,765) adds a 6-speed stick shift and features including 19-inch cast aluminum wheels, quicker steering, stronger brakes with four-piston front calipers (a must for enthusiasts), sportier seats and aluminum pedals.

Those features are all available in a sport package with the automatic transmission. The automatic G37 that I tested ran to $50,965 without the sport package but with luxuries like a navigation system, intelligent cruise control and seats that can be heated and cooled.

The G37 felt well-buttressed to ward off the tremors that can plague a convertible, but the strength comes at the cost of extra weight. At 4,100 pounds, the G convertible is nearly 450 pounds heavier than the coupe. The Lexus weighs up to 3,900 pounds, about 350 more than the IS sedan. As with the Infiniti, the IS droptop moves with a bit less urgency than its fixed-roof sibling.

The IS 350C can be hustled quite quickly — Lexus says it is capable of 5.8 seconds to 60 m.p.h. — but it feels more ambivalent about that part of its mission. “Hey, I thought this was a nice sundown cruise,” the Lexus seems to say.

The IS demands more concentration at speed, with overassisted steering and softer suspenders that have the Lexus tiptoeing through turns that the Infiniti dispatches with ease. One clue to that mellower mindset is this: the powerful IS 350C — with 306 horses and 277 pound-feet of torque — offers only a 6-speed automatic transmission. That model is priced squarely atop the Infiniti, at $44,815.

The IS 250C gets by with 204 horsepower and a rather tepid 185 pound-feet of torque. This version does offer a 6-speed manual to squeeze the most out of the 2.5-liter V-6, and sneaks in at $39,365.

The IS 350C’s 3.5-liter engine is smoother than the Infiniti’s 3.7 but can’t match it in brute force or high-revving fun; the tachometer’s red line — the maximum recommended engine speed — is 6,500 r.p.m., compared with the G37’s lofty 7,600 r.p.m. Yet I still enjoyed a fine day in the Lexus on a five-hour sun-baked excursion along the Hudson River.

Buyers who want more sinew can add a range of Lexus F-Sport accessories — forged alloy wheels, upgraded brakes, sport suspension and more — but those items quickly jack up the price.

Ultimately, the Infiniti’s sharper looks and sharpened performance would make it my personal choice. Yet I’ll admit that many people who gravitate to convertibles are more concerned with SPFs than r.p.m.’s. It was Lexus that kicked off the hardtop convertible trend with the 2002 SC 430; the brand’s fans now have a relatively affordable and practical alternative to the two-seat $70,000 SC.

And with the recession laying waste to sports car sales, sporty-with-a-y models like the Infiniti and Lexus should be easier to justify parking in the driveway. If you wave to your laid-off neighbor from a new Porsche, you might find another kind of automotive statement keyed into your paint in the morning.

INSIDE TRACK: ’Scuse me while I kiss the sky.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/23/au...AUTO.html?_r=3

Last edited by speedflex; 08-26-09 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-26-09, 08:46 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The G37 kills the IS in a beauty contest. Well written review.
Old 08-26-09, 10:21 AM
LexFather

Good article and I can see how he came to that conclusion but 50k for a G37? No way in hell.
This though sounds like the best deal of the century

For just $50 more, the G37 6 MT ($44,765) adds a 6-speed stick shift and features including 19-inch cast aluminum wheels, quicker steering, stronger brakes with four-piston front calipers (a must for enthusiasts), sportier seats and aluminum pedals.

Old 08-26-09, 11:21 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Nice review. I've seen a few G37's out on the road. Very pretty convertible. However as soon as it went over the rumble strips at the toll booth the trunk lid started shaking and popped open. lol. They might need to work on that.
Old 08-26-09, 12:06 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

i like the g37 but the picture above makes it seem very unattractive
Old 08-26-09, 05:19 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

No side by side picture? Also they should have included BMW 335i convertible also, three very hot retractable hardtop convertible based on their sports coupe/sedan siblings. When the top is down, I think all three look very good. But when the top is up, 3-series convertible > G37 convertible > IS-C, just my opinion.
Old 08-26-09, 05:54 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
No side by side picture? Also they should have included BMW 335i convertible also, three very hot retractable hardtop convertible based on their sports coupe/sedan siblings. When the top is down, I think all three look very good. But when the top is up, 3-series convertible > G37 convertible > IS-C, just my opinion.

I also agree with this.

To be brutally honest I'm just not a convertible type of guy. The only convertibles that really excite me are the higher end ones - the SL 63 AMGs, BMW 6 series convertibles, lexus SC is nice as well
Old 08-26-09, 06:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I was very disappointed with the IS-C. Its interior materials are terrible and feel like rubber. And when the roof is retracted, the panels that cover the rear deck area are a clustermess with a bunch of huge gaps. Just a terrible execution with obvious signs of cost cutting, which unfortunately is becoming more and more commond in latest Lexus models.
Old 08-26-09, 06:17 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

as usual, infiniti beats the lexus in sport, lexus wins in refinement.
Old 08-26-09, 06:32 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know I really just hate how the IS C looks from the back. Somehow through the magic of photoshop they managed to find the PERFECT and probably ONLY angle where the IS C looks acceptable.

Look at it close up in person, it looks like a bloated whale. The rear of the IS C has no resemblance whatsoever to the rear of the IS. They may as well have called it the LS C because the rear lights look a lot more like the LS rear lights (although they look infinitely more elegant/classy on the LS)
Old 08-26-09, 06:34 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by carLx
You know I really just hate how the IS C looks from the back. Somehow through the magic of photoshop they managed to find the PERFECT and probably ONLY angle where the IS C looks acceptable.

Look at it close up in person, it looks like a bloated whale. The rear of the IS C has no resemblance whatsoever to the rear of the IS. They may as well have called it the LS C because the rear lights look a lot more like the LS rear lights (although they look infinitely more elegant/classy on the LS)
yeah, the overhang on the ISc is downright nasty.
Old 08-26-09, 09:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by carLx

And you missed the entire part of WHY the IS rear is like that. Its for function, something the G37c lacks. The IS rear is 2 inches longer in the rear to fit golf clubs. I've checked it out and they do indeed fit. Yeah its not as good looking but its FUNCTIONAL.

I have to admit I'm lost at people glamorizing the looks of the G37c but it looks nothing more than a giant SC 430, a car that has gotten bashed left and right for whatever reason.

Does the G37C look better? Yes, as it looks like a restyled SC 430. Is the IS more useful. Yes, thus the bigger rear end.

I LIKE BIG BUTTS AND I CANNOT LIE!!!!

Old 08-26-09, 09:05 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And you missed the entire part of WHY the IS rear is like that. Its for function, something the G37c lacks. The IS rear is 2 inches longer in the rear to fit golf clubs. I've checked it out and they do indeed fit. Yeah its not as good looking but its FUNCTIONAL.

I have to admit I'm lost at people glamorizing the looks of the G37c but it looks nothing more than a giant SC 430, a car that has gotten bashed left and right for whatever reason.

Does the G37C look better? Yes, as it looks like a restyled SC 430. Is the IS more useful. Yes, thus the bigger rear end.

I LIKE BIG BUTTS AND I CANNOT LIE!!!!
Don't forget that the IS-C has a temporary spare, and the G37 has a can of Fix-a-Flat (I'm not kidding...).
Old 08-26-09, 09:09 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shyguy16
as usual, infiniti beats the lexus in sport, lexus wins in refinement.
It's a similar case as the GS vs. M; that being said, the IS vs. G has merits for both in performance, as others will attest.
The Automobile mag convert comparo was apt, the IS has the most refined and luxurious interior of the bunch; I've sat inside the new IS C and it has a quality interior, very comfortable, similar nice materials as the regular IS. Definitely more comfortable back seat than others.

While the Infiniti’s roof opens or closes in about 28 seconds, the Lexus is quicker and smarter on the draw. Operated by 13 electric motors and 33 sensors, with no hydraulics, this is the fastest three-piece top in the West, opening or closing in 20 seconds. For smoothness and quiet, the IS’s roof slows down near the end of its travel in both directions; the G37’s roof made an annoying wallop as it settled in. And while the IS automatically lifts the side windows after the roof swings shut, the G37 makes you operate the windows separately.

I got caught in rainstorms in both vehicles, and discovered that the Infiniti’s top also makes a surprising racket when it’s being pelted, like a Caribbean house with a tin roof. Beneath the Lexus’s aluminum top, all I could hear were drops on the windshield.

Lifting the Infiniti’s enormous trunk lid feels like curling a bowling ball. Lexus’s lid is large Lexus’s lid is large but more wieldy.
And done in-house, the IS-C folding top mechanism and design is best in class.
Old 08-26-09, 10:58 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I would take the G37 just based on looks.......BMW did a much better job in engineering and executing the e93, that would be my choice by far.

Why Lexus has no IS coupe is still confusing

Also u would think Lexus would be a pro at this considering SC430 was a pioneer in hardtop convertibles. I think the SC is much better executed and it came out 10 yrs ago.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 08-26-09 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS and Infiniti G37 Convertible comparo