Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Suzuki Kizashi (Sport added from NY Auto Show)

Old 03-31-10, 05:08 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the TV commercials, I wasn't very excited about this car. Then I saw one sitting in a Toyota dealership parking lot of all places. It made me walk over to it and take a look at it. Quite striking in person, I would say. The only negative thing I had to say was that I didn't like the mesh of the front grill.
Old 04-01-10, 04:27 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

I never understood dual exhaust pipes on a 4 cylinder car.
Old 04-01-10, 11:16 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I never understood dual exhaust pipes on a 4 cylinder car.
Hehe........but adding more exhaust pipes adds 10 more hp to you car

Anyways
I like it (esp. the sport version). I hope they bring this to Asia-Pacific
Old 04-02-10, 08:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Motorweek said those dual exhaust things are cosmetic only.
The car has a single exhaust. Kind of lame IMO.
Old 04-02-10, 09:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Motorweek said those dual exhaust things are cosmetic only.
The car has a single exhaust. Kind of lame IMO.
One false tip (that's unusual and lame)? Or a single exhaust off of a single manifold (one muffler, one resonator, one converter) branching into twin outlets which is very common?
Old 04-02-10, 09:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
One false tip (that's unusual and lame)? Or a single exhaust off of a single manifold (one muffler, one resonator, one converter) branching into twin outlets which is very common?
Don't know for sure. Here is the quote from their road test:

"Around back, wraparound taillights tastefully echo the headlights, and frame a tall trunk lid that doubles as a mild spoiler. These great-looking chrome outlets look like exhausts, but they're just for show."
Old 04-02-10, 09:29 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Don't know for sure. Here is the quote from their road test:

"Around back, wraparound taillights tastefully echo the headlights, and frame a tall trunk lid that doubles as a mild spoiler. These great-looking chrome outlets look like exhausts, but they're just for show."
I guess we will have to peak under the rear bumper. Maybe both outlets are fake and just a single unfinished tip outlet is hidden behind the bumper. They look cool, which is the desired effect.
Old 04-02-10, 09:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I guess we will have to peak under the rear bumper. Maybe both outlets are fake and just a single unfinished tip outlet is hidden behind the bumper. They look cool, which is the desired effect.
The single tip was my thought too, but just speculation on my part. Don't know if I'll actually make it to a Suzuki dealer to look but will keep an eye out for one on the street.

Around here, where it gets really cold, it would look wierd to see exhaust coming out from someplace under the bumper and not from the chrome tips.
Old 04-03-10, 10:39 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

The Kizashi is a great car. Silly haters not giving it its due.

It has better driving dynamics than any other FWD sedan in the US market, especially in its price range.

The Sport package gives it a nice look and will improve its already great handling.

It would definitely be at the top of my list along with the new Optima if I was shopping for a sedan in the $20K range.

Old 04-03-10, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

One more classic example of cost-cutting. The single/dual-split branch system is common because it is a cheap way of doing a "sporty" dual-rear-outlet while only having to use one catalytic converter instead of two. Catalysts, of course, are expensive because they use platinum pellets....one reason why they are often stolen. Two mufflers, of course, are still used in the back, but a muffler costs a lot less, on average, than a converter.

A true dual system, of course, will have two completely independent pipes, mufflers (and converters) from the exhaust manifolds to the tail outlets.
Old 04-03-10, 11:13 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

The conversation regarding the mufflers is ridiculous. Who cares?

Are there ANY mid-size FWD $20K family sedans that have a true dual exhaust? NO.

They wanted the car to look upscale. That touch helps it. Most people aren't going to stoop down and inspect the design/construction of it. Most people are also idiots. 80% of BMW 1-Series owners believe their cars are FWD. Nice job.

Threads like this turn my stomach a bit. Really, what do you people want from a $20K FWD mainstream sedan? Yes, I too would prefer to see it (and most other cars) with a twin-tip single muffler like the I4 Mazda6 and some BMWs, rather than a fake dual exhaust.
Old 04-03-10, 01:49 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say, having sat in this car at the Chicago Auto Show, its interior had absolutely awesome material quality for its price range, probably best in class--and better even than some entry-level luxury cars well above its price range.
Old 04-03-10, 02:20 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by C. McHale
I have to say, having sat in this car at the Chicago Auto Show, its interior had absolutely awesome material quality for its price range, probably best in class--and better even than some entry-level luxury cars well above its price range.
Yup, this is the general consensus. Build and material quality on par with vehicles like the TSX, while being more fun-to-drive than the TSX or anything else in the FWD sedan category.

The only people who are criticizing this car are ignorant fools who haven't seen one, let alone sat in one or driven one! It CANNOT be faulted in its price range/category, no matter which of its competitors you put it up against...Mazda6, Accord, Camry, Jetta, Altima, or even the TSX or base FWD A4!
Old 04-03-10, 02:32 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Just a little discussion of the rear set up. No ones hating on the car itself. In fact nothing's been said one way or another about the quality, handling etc. I'm sure it's a decent car. It's good looking too.
Old 04-03-10, 02:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One more classic example of cost-cutting. The single/dual-split branch system is common because it is a cheap way of doing a "sporty" dual-rear-outlet while only having to use one catalytic converter instead of two. Catalysts, of course, are expensive because they use platinum pellets....one reason why they are often stolen. Two mufflers, of course, are still used in the back, but a muffler costs a lot less, on average, than a converter.

A true dual system, of course, will have two completely independent pipes, mufflers (and converters) from the exhaust manifolds to the tail outlets.
Yes, but a true dual exhaust system on a 4 cylinder (with dual converters) makes little sense. So a single/dual-split branch system is expected on a 4 banger at least.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Suzuki Kizashi (Sport added from NY Auto Show)