Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Study shows Hybrids are not as economical or cheap to repair as we first thought

Old 07-18-09, 11:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Study shows Hybrids are not as economical or cheap to repair as we first thought

Conventional wisdom is that hybrid vehicles reduce our dependence on foreign oil and emit fewer environment hurting CO2 emissions. When comparing a hybrid to a conventional gasoline-powered model on a mile-by-mile basis, there's some logic to this argument provided the pricing disparity between the two models isn't too broad. However, a new study by Quality Planning shows that hybrid owners drive much more than non-hybrid owners, potentially negating the benefits of the added battery pack and electric motor.

Quality Planning studied nearly 360,000 vehicles throughout 2007 and 2008 to analyze driving habits, and some of the study's findings are pretty surprising. According to the survey, hybrid and non-hybrid drivers have statistically similar commutes, but hybrid owners drive their vehicles 25% more (2,000 miles) in non-commuting scenarios.

Dr. Raj Bhat, president of Quality Planning, thinks part of the reason for these findings has something to do with the fact that high mileage drivers are typically more interested in hybrids than infrequent drivers.
"What we don't know is whether owning a hybrid vehicle encourages people to drive more miles each day or take more pleasure trips. High-mileage drivers appear to be attracted to these vehicles, so insurers should take steps to verify the intended use of hybrids and validate actual miles driven wherever possible."
The study also shows that hybrid owners are significantly more likely to receive traffic tickets. According to the survey, Toyota Prius owners received .38 tickets per 100,000 miles driven, versus a non-hybrid average of .23 tickets per 100,000 miles. That's a 65% differential. One possible explanation for the ticket disparity has to do with where hybrid owners live. Quality Planning found that hybrid owners are more likely to live in an urban setting, where tickets are more frequently issued.

If you really want a hybrid and you don't want to hear any more bad news, you should stop reading. QP also found that repair costs are significantly higher for hybrid owners. The Ford Escape Hybrid, for example, costs 31% more to repair than the gasoline-only model, while repairing the Toyota Highlander Hybrid will reportedly add 45% more cost. A recent report by IntelliChoice that found that, in the long-term, hybrids and diesels are actually cheaper than gasoline-only vehicles.

The text below illustrates how much on a per dollar basis hybrid repair costs for collision and comprehensive coverage versus one dollar for a non-hybrid. The disparity is shrinking every year, but according to QP, hybrids still cost more to fix. Hit the jump to view the Quality Planning press release.
Attached Thumbnails Study shows Hybrids are not as economical or cheap to repair as we first thought-insight_review000_opt.jpg  
Old 07-19-09, 12:42 AM
LexFather

Thanks for all the news can u also provide the links to the sources.

As for this well you can't bunch all hybrids together. For instance I didn't buy my car soley for MPG or to save the environment. The speed and rarity appealed to me as well as the usual Lexus qualities.

The article also fails to mention tax credits.

Funny but I never felt the need to defend my purchase. Its not for everyone, its the first of its kind, not everyone gets it. Also you can buy used parts and Toyota has been very good at absorbing some battery replacement costs (which is actually rare)

I do

Old 07-19-09, 09:13 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why they would be surprised that hybrid owners generally drive more. That is one of the primary reasons for buying a high mpg car is the freedom to drive more with much less gas expense.

Who do you think is going to drive the most, a Hummer driver, or a Prius driver? Hmm, tough one.

What is one of the reasons I own a Yaris? It travels 600+ miles a week!

If I drove an 18 mpg vehicle, I sure as hell wouldn't.

People by high efficiency vehicles for reasons other than "saving the planet" which these cars really don't change anyway. That is a very uncommon reason regardless of what the media might tell you. People buy these cars for more freedom to go further and more often.
Old 07-19-09, 09:45 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Not only do hybrid owners drive more, but most of the time when I see a prius owner, and yes this is true from my personal experience, they are always speeding like a bat out of hell. I guess they assume if they get 50-60mpg that they can afford to lose a couple mpg and still be better than everyone else.
Old 07-19-09, 12:42 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i knew they cost more to maintain but not that much more!
but i guess if you factor in the $ saved by the better MPG and the tax breaks it might just equal out in the end....?
Old 07-19-09, 12:48 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Not only do hybrid owners drive more, but most of the time when I see a prius owner, and yes this is true from my personal experience, they are always speeding like a bat out of hell. I guess they assume if they get 50-60mpg that they can afford to lose a couple mpg and still be better than everyone else.
I have seen similar things in traffic in the Phoenix area. Prius or Insight drivers who drive much faster than others, but I have also seen the hypermiler style drivers, which is just as annoying (if not more). I love it when I see one get pulled over for speeding and simply driving in the HOV lane. The law here is very clear - you have to have a special plate to drive by yourself in them, and they've already reached the limit. I'd be willing to bet DPS or Tempe popo's only pull them over if they're speeding, which just compounds the problem for them. HOV = $619 fine. Speeding is on top of that - but to do defensive driving you have to pick your poison since you can only negate one! Either way, they're getting points.

Best license plate frame I've heard about - "Keep driving your hybrid, my V8 needs the gas!"

Big Mack
Old 07-19-09, 01:04 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

who ever thought hybrids were cheaper to repair?
Old 07-19-09, 01:07 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's all about supporting the manufacturing of hybrids and finally going electric of course it will cost more in the beginning.
Old 07-19-09, 06:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks for all the news can u also provide the links to the sources.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/16/s...iven-more-cos/