Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Suzuki, Mitsubishi Urged to ‘Forget America’ as Sales Slump

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 10:12 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is where the end of Mitsubishi began.

In the United States, Mitsubishi had created a popular "0, 0, 0" credit program: zero money down, zero payments for one year, and zero interest for one year. This offer attracted young buyers; 16.4 percent of American buyers of Mitsubishi vehicles in 2003 were under 25 years old. Disaster threatened to overwhelm Mitsubishi's American operations when buyers, especially young ones, defaulted on these generous loans. This meant not only that Mitsubishi had received no money for a year on cars that it had sold, but also that it had a host of used vehicles that were not worth the cost of manufacturing them.
What were they thinking?
Old 07-12-10, 10:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Infra
Here is where the end of Mitsubishi began.

What were they thinking?
Its a desperation tactic to sell cars. GM/Ford did it and we saw what happened. Toyota is using it now I think and so is Acura.

Not good. It kills your resale value for used cars since the new cars are cheaper. It also means you are selling on price, not product and people that pay on price are much more likely to leave your brand for another based on price.

I TRIED to find a Kizashi manual, I can't find one. There were only 4 I think on the lot.

Old 07-12-10, 10:39 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

it's such a simple concept, such a simple disparity yet huge companies with so called huge talent just don't get it.

it all comes down to design, starts with design and finishes with design.

u figure price, quality and warranty would play a big factor but it doesn't. look at benz and bmw, high cost, low warranty, low re-sale, but they still sell like hot cakes.

and to add, a great design is useless if the head decision maker cannot identify it.
Old 07-12-10, 10:41 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

how is toyota and acura using same tactic, they are offering 0 apr on a few of their models but that's about it.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its a desperation tactic to sell cars. GM/Ford did it and we saw what happened. Toyota is using it now I think and so is Acura.

Not good. It kills your resale value for used cars since the new cars are cheaper. It also means you are selling on price, not product and people that pay on price are much more likely to leave your brand for another based on price.

I TRIED to find a Kizashi manual, I can't find one. There were only 4 I think on the lot.
Old 07-12-10, 10:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mikemareen
how is toyota and acura using same tactic, they are offering 0 apr on a few of their models but that's about it.
Acura has 0 everything right now and did so in June
http://www.acura.com/tools/shopping/currentoffers.aspx

, down etc..sign and drive....Toyota dealerships are throwing money at customers. I've had some good discussions with dealers there and for Lexus about tactics to keep customers buying Toyotas (recall mess)

Last edited by LexFather; 07-12-10 at 11:06 AM.

Old 07-12-10, 11:08 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Two weeks ago I stopped by the nearby Suzuki dealership to look at the Kizashi. The dealership had closed and had moved into the neighboring Ford store. They had only two K's on the lot. The the dealership is now a Ford, Lincoln, Mercury (for now) and Suzuki store. Seems like it will be lost there.
Old 07-12-10, 11:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.acura.com/tools/shopping/currentoffers.aspx

, down etc..sign and drive....Toyota dealerships are throwing money at customers. I've had some good discussions with dealers there and for Lexus about tactics to keep customers buying Toyotas (recall mess)
True.
Invoice and under for '11 Camry's and 0%.Two friends,two relatives and me have bought a Camry in the past 4-5 weeks.

The Kizashi didn't get a good review in one of the big 3 car magazines recently.
Old 07-12-10, 02:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree the tactic is risky, but it doesn't have to be.....simply restrict it to those with decent credit ratings. When you tempt people on poor credit (and risky finances) with 0/0/0 terms, of course you are going to get more "sales"......and more defaults.
Old 07-12-10, 02:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The Kizashi didn't get a good review in one of the big 3 car magazines recently.
It gets mixed reviews, depending on what publication/review/magazine you are reading. I reviewed one myself last winter and was generally impressed with it.....it is a nice, rather, small car, though marketed as a mid-size. And it has better fit/finish than any American-market Suzuki I've seen to date.
Old 07-12-10, 02:34 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It gets mixed reviews, depending on what publication/review/magazine you are reading. I reviewed one myself last winter and was generally impressed with it.....it is a nice, rather, small car, though marketed as a mid-size. And it has better fit/finish than any American-market Suzuki I've seen to date.
Interesting,Mike.
Resale may be bad,though.
Old 07-12-10, 03:51 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

No, I get that. But Mitsubishi did no payments for a year. It's not even close to the same as just 0 down 0% APR - especially when so many of the buyers paid $0, and then defaulted immediately.

0% APR just shifts the cost to future years as you expect your increase in sales to make up for it. Typically it works out alright to get through a slow period as long as things "recover".

Assuming a company sells its cars for a 10% ROR. Giving 0% on what would otherwise be a 4% loan for 60 months on a $50,000 car only costs $1,049 a year, $5,249 total, or a NPV10 of $3,980.

Considering your cost is spread out over the life of the loan, that's pretty cheap if you can get people to pay close to MSRP rather than the typical close-to-invoice price.

Last edited by Infra; 07-12-10 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-12-10, 04:42 PM
daelo74
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember back in the early 90's when eclipses, diamantes, galants and 3000gts were everywhere. They had style and a cheap price, now they all look like crap.
Old 07-12-10, 07:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Infra
No, I get that. But Mitsubishi did no payments for a year. It's not even close to the same as just 0 down 0% APR - especially when so many of the buyers paid $0, and then defaulted immediately.

0% APR just shifts the cost to future years as you expect your increase in sales to make up for it. Typically it works out alright to get through a slow period as long as things "recover".

Assuming a company sells its cars for a 10% ROR. Giving 0% on what would otherwise be a 4% loan for 60 months on a $50,000 car only costs $1,049 a year, $5,249 total, or a NPV10 of $3,980.

Considering your cost is spread out over the life of the loan, that's pretty cheap if you can get people to pay close to MSRP rather than the typical close-to-invoice price.
Oh don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I reviewed the Galant and Outlander and they were some of the worst new vehicles I had driven. I could not believe they were NEW vehicles

Old 07-12-10, 08:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

maybe if they used the 4B11 motor in all of their products the cars would attract more people
Old 07-13-10, 09:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Interesting,Mike.
Resale may be bad,though.
Agreed. Though that might change, I wouldn't bet, at this point, on Kizashis having the popularity and resale value of a silver Camry or Accord.

Quick Reply: Suzuki, Mitsubishi Urged to ‘Forget America’ as Sales Slump