Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Panamera shatters CTS-V record at the Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 09:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Porsche Panamera shatters CTS-V record at the Nurburgring

Porsche's intense rivalry with Nissan over Nurburgring lap times may have cooled off in recent months, but a new rivalry appears to be in the works, this time with Cadillac and the CTS-V. A report emerging from Germany today has the Panamera Turbo lapping the Nurburgring in 7:56 minutes - just over 3 seconds faster than the American uber-sedan.

It would also mean taking the mantle as fastest lap time for a production sedan, since the CTS-V holds that title now. Porsche hasn't confirmed the time reported by Sport Auto, nor has it released its own times for the car, so it will remain to be seen if this is the final word.

Still, the possibility of the next round of super-sedans taking the title from the current $59,995 Cadillac CTS-V by mere seconds goes to show just how far Cadillac has pushed the performance-per-dollar value equation, especially considering the Panamera Turbo, at $132,600, is the least expensive of the super-sedan set, which also includes the Aston Martin Rapide and Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT S.

On the other hand, lap times at the Nurburgring, while a good measure of real-world performance, aren't the end-all, be-all many manufacturers would have you believe. Variables such as tire type, driver ability, season, temperature, traffic and more can all affect lap times, and in the end, very few if any of the production cars that guard their 'Ring times closely will see actual track use, making the debate academic at best.
Attached Thumbnails Porsche Panamera shatters CTS-V record at the Nurburgring-2010_porsche_panamera_shanghai_main630-0419.jpg  
Old 07-10-09, 09:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am not a fan of the panamera , but I will give it respect. I guess it really is a 4 door 911
Old 07-11-09, 07:38 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ring times are becoming a ridiculous fad.

i have no respect for Nissan lapping the ring 1232134 times just to shave a few seconds.
After that much practice, anyone can shave 4 seconds by luck.

it's like a ***** pump. pump a little more, and you might eek out an extra 1mm.
what does that say about you though?
Old 07-11-09, 07:40 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Because everyday drivers are going to be racing to the grocery store using the Nurburgring as a standard of speed. What happened to just saying, "Yeah the car is fast.". Done.
Old 07-11-09, 07:52 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"lap times at the Nurburgring, while a good measure of real-world performance, aren't the end-all, be-all Variables such as tire type, driver ability, season, temperature, traffic and more can all affect lap times"

That's all that needs to be said, right there.

Last edited by IS350jet; 07-11-09 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-11-09, 07:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

It's good for marketing and that's about it.

Although when you're paying big bucks for a car I guess it's good to know what you're getting for your mney.
Old 07-11-09, 09:32 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Too bad the Panamera costs 2x what the CTS-V does, and looks like a hearse that King Kong sat on.

I think the CTS-V could get it's time down a few more seconds because as the article states, there are too many variables to have any of these be close to scientific or definite.
Old 07-11-09, 11:33 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Too bad the Panamera looks like a hearse
ha.

good descript
Old 07-11-09, 12:15 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take the 3 second slower CTS-V and keep the 76 grand in my pocket along with the lack of concern over exotic car repair bills for my exotic car.
Old 07-11-09, 02:11 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
I'll take the 3 second slower CTS-V and keep the 76 grand in my pocket along with the lack of concern over exotic car repair bills for my exotic car.
The difference is over $100K up here.

Bang for the buck, the CTS-V is still the best deal for a super sedan out there. But money not being a consideration, the Panamera Turbo and M5 will still be the choice of many.
Old 07-11-09, 02:22 PM
LexFather

How many times have I said the "Ring" has ruined cars. Its a giant ***** measuring contest ate up by internet Neanderthals who don't even know where the Green Hell is.

To me both companies did it wrong anyway. Hey you want to prove a point, put 4 people in the car with luggage THEN tell me the time. Now thats something to brag about. I mean goodness here are cars with SPACE and the PACE of coupes but they are driving them with one driver?

Put some people in there!!

I'm a Porsche nut but I can't get a rise out the Panamera. Its ungainly to look at, period. What happened to the JOY of looking at a car? Then we get the price. As stated, we are talking about nearly twice the price base over a CTS-V for 3 damn seconds.

Are you serious? Caddy has NOTHING to be ashamed about here. A Porsche is SUPPOSED to beat a Caddy. For Caddy to even be mentioned here is a testament in itself.

My 2 cents, I'd get a CTS-V and a used 911 Turbo 996 for the price of a Panamera.

Old 07-11-09, 02:30 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
To me both companies did it wrong anyway. Hey you want to prove a point, put 4 people in the car with luggage THEN tell me the time. Now thats something to brag about. I mean goodness here are cars with SPACE and the PACE of coupes but they are driving them with one driver?

Put some people in there!!
Well, it'd probably be funny... something like you see on top gear. Say four 300 pound guys (you know they'd make them American guys, too since they like to talk about us being fat) and their baggage for the weekend, too. I can attest personally to how badly my 06 Audi A4 was affected when I had myself and my three (all under 200 lb) friends + hiking gear for a weekend. Hell I ended up with a flat tire... I'm pretty sure from being overloaded (no nail or tear in sight).

But with that said, in real life nobody who a responsible head on their shoulders races all out or even drives aggressively with a full load of people in their car. Heck if they've got a load of people and luggage they'll probably be doing mostly interstate driving anyway. 99% of the hard driving I've done in my 335i has been with just me in the car since I don't want to put anyone else at risk. The other 1% has had one other person who was egging me on with a quick drive around some back roads near my house. And then of course with the auto-crossing I've done they don't allow you to have a passenger unless you're either a beginning and have an instructor with you, or you're riding with an instructor to learn... and it's a limit of two people total.

Are you serious? Caddy has NOTHING to be ashamed about here. A Porsche is SUPPOSED to beat a Caddy. For Caddy to even be mentioned here is a testament in itself.

My 2 cents, I'd get a CTS-V and a used 911 Turbo 996 for the price of a Panamera.
I agree completely. It's a shame Chevrolet doesn't get more credit than they do for how dominant the Z06 and ZR1 are out there. There are hardly any production/factory stock vehicles out there that will come close to them on a road course (or in straight line for that matter), and the ones that will are usually some multiple of price higher than they are.

The GT-R is the first and only vehicle that's really broken that trend, and even it is still more expensive than the Z06 and slower than the ZR1.
Old 07-11-09, 02:35 PM
LexFather

^^ Agreed. I would imagine the Panamera owner has a 911 or Cayman etc to track...not to take the Panamera...

CTS-V, ZR1, GT-R are segment busters and you REALLY have to question why their competition costs so much more.

Old 07-11-09, 07:17 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx

Aside from how way overpriced it is there is really nothing exotic about the Panamera. It is basically a front engine rwd/awd v8 4 door sedan/wagon/hatchback. There are lots of rwd v8 sedans and wagons and they are not considered exotic, most are just not nearly as overpriced as the Panamera. I really don't see anything about it that warrants such a ridiculously high price but since it is a Porsche people will overpay just for the badge. I too would take a CTS-V over the hideous looking Panamera. It is a shame the exterior is such a failure because the Panamera has one of the nicest most cutting edge interiors and probably drives very nice for its size.
Old 07-11-09, 07:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
Aside from how way overpriced it is there is really nothing exotic about the Panamera. It is basically a front engine rwd/awd v8 4 door sedan/wagon/hatchback. There are lots of rwd v8 sedans and wagons and they are not considered exotic, most are just not nearly as overpriced as the Panamera. I really don't see anything about it that warrants such a ridiculously high price but since it is a Porsche people will overpay just for the badge. I too would take a CTS-V over the hideous looking Panamera. It is a shame the exterior is such a failure because the Panamera has one of the nicest most cutting edge interiors and probably drives very nice for its size.
I wouldn't got that far. In Excellence, Car, EVO etc they have gone in depth in the cars engineering and its clear that Porsche (while making it ugly) ENGINEERED the vehicle. While its still heavy there are some pretty neat weight saving techniques involved. Is it worth the price to us? Not really but some will feel its well worth it.

The CTS-V just makes anything seem overpriced from the M3/IS-F etc to the M5/E63, etc even cars like the LS, S, 7 etc (though not direct competition).

The CTS is is a sporty sedan that was turned into a sporty sedan monster. The Panamera is a sports car that happens to have 4 doors.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-11-09 at 07:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche Panamera shatters CTS-V record at the Nurburgring