Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fight a ticket in MA, WIN, yet you still have to pay a $25 fee.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 10:49 AM
LexFather

Thumbs down Fight a ticket in MA, WIN, yet you still have to pay a $25 fee.

http://www.telegram.com/article/2009...907020697/1116

Jeffrey McCob went to Gardner District Court this week with a $100 ticket hanging over his head. A month earlier, he had been pulled over on Route 2 for obstructing an emergency vehicle.

After making his case to Clerk Magistrate Whitney J. Brown, the Leominster resident was found not responsible and the ticket was dismissed. By challenging the ticket, Mr. McCob lost a couple of hours in travel and court time. It was certainly preferable, however, to paying the $100 and related insurance surcharges.

“If these types of tickets only came with a fine, maybe I'd have let it go,” Mr. McCob said. “But you're paying a lot more than the fine.”

Armed with the knowledge that more than 250,000 tickets for civil motor vehicle infractions were challenged in the state last fiscal year, legislators have voted to charge drivers $25 for such hearings. The budget Gov. Deval L. Patrick signed into law this week includes the change, which took effect yesterday, according to Trial Court spokeswoman Joan Kenney.

So, if Mr. McCob got pulled over today, with the same outcome after a clerk hearing, he'd still be out $25.

Local drivers who contested tickets at Gardner District Court, however, said the fine wouldn't deter them from fighting tickets. Paying $25 to potentially get out of hundreds of dollars in fines and surcharges is worth it, they say.

“I'd still be here,” Mr. McCob said after his hearing. “That wouldn't change my decision.”

State Sen. Stephen M. Brewer, D-Barre, was a member of the conference committee that discussed attaching a cost to clerk hearings. Legislators estimate the change will yield $5 million this fiscal year in revenue, all of which will be returned to the court system's budget.

By law, drivers who receive tickets for civil motor vehicle infractions are entitled to a hearing with a clerk magistrate. Until this fiscal year, which started Wednesday, there has been no cost to drivers who want to plead their case in front of a clerk, though it does cost $20 for drivers who lose the clerk hearing and want a second appeal with a judge.

With trial courts collectively taking an $18 million hit this year, Mr. Brewer said, “This provides a measure of restoration.”

“Is it fun? Is it something I'm happy about? Heck no,” Mr. Brewer said. “But there's a mountain of things we're not happy about because of the hand we were dealt.”

None of the area drivers interviewed was aware of the impending change. Gardner resident Linda LaFreniere, who got a speeding ticket in Westminster recently, believes it's wrong.

“You have to pay for the right to appeal? Forget it; that's not right,” she said while awaiting her hearing with the clerk. “Why should I have to pay to contest something I feel is wrong to begin with?”

Barbie Holman of Hampton Falls, N.H., was pulled over on Route 2 in May, after failing to move to the left lane while a police car was in the breakdown lane. Her ticket was dismissed after she told the clerk she was unaware of the relatively new requirement for vehicles to move as far away as possible from parked emergency vehicles.

She said people who win their appeal should not have to pay the $25 fine.

“If you're found not at fault, you should be cleared of all of it,” Ms. Holman said. “If that's not the case, then it seems police could be pulling people over for all sorts of things.”

Old 07-07-09, 04:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Sounds like another shake down for the impoverished. Imagine you can't afford the $25 or the hundreds of dollars in fines and you've been wrongly accused. Amazing.
Old 07-07-09, 04:49 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder how that number of 250,000 challenged tickets stacks up to other states.
Old 07-07-09, 05:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

govt can charge fees for anything it wants. gotta love it.
Old 07-07-09, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

They don't call the state Taxachusetts for nothing. Remember, this is the state that gave us the Kennedys and John Kerry.
Old 07-07-09, 07:27 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does that mean if you lose do you still have to pay the $25?
Old 07-08-09, 03:25 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Does that mean if you lose do you still have to pay the $25?
an extra 25 to rub salt into you wounded face.
Old 07-08-09, 05:00 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f=ma
an extra 25 to rub salt into you wounded face.
Oh... I forgot, the government can have their cake AND eat it...
Old 07-08-09, 11:32 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's gotta be somethin unconstitutional about that. That gives the goverment in MA the authority to issue $25 tickets for anything they choose. If anything, the government should PAY you $25 for issuing you a ticket that is dismissed!

This really irks the anarchist in me!
Old 07-09-09, 12:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bruce van
There's gotta be somethin unconstitutional about that. That gives the goverment in MA the authority to issue $25 tickets for anything they choose. If anything, the government should PAY you $25 for issuing you a ticket that is dismissed!

This really irks the anarchist in me!
Exactly. What irks me more is LEADERS came up with this idea, to blatantly screw over the innocent!!

Whats worse what if you CAN'T PAY THE $25??? What if someone is dead broke, went to court, case was dismissed and they still have to pay $25?

WTF?

Old 07-09-09, 09:57 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, if it bothers you guys vote your local elected leaders out by using this point. That way the power really is in the hands of the people!