Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 11:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

By CL and non-CL general interest, a Review of the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid.

http://www.ford.com/vehicles/vehicle...on-hybrid-2010

In a Nutshell: Superb gas mileage, one of Ford's best new products yet........and possibly a sign of the future.

(Sorry, this was the best shot of the open trunk I could find)

Ford introduced the mid-sized Fusion/Mercury Milan/Lincoln Zephyr triplets (the Zephyr is now the MKZ) in the fall of 2005, as 2006 models, to have a new mid-sized series to bridge the gap between the small Focus and the larger Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego (since renamed the Taurus/Sable). The old mid-size Taurus/Sable line had been discontinued, as had the old mid-size Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique series, and Ford needed a new mid-size line to replace them, as the new Five Hundred/Montego were now considered full-size cars (Ford renamed them to Taurus/Sable, but they are not to be confused with the old Taurus/Sable lines. The Fusion/Milan/Zephyr triplets tested out well, made Consumer Reports' Recommended list, and soon developed a reputation for well-above-average build quality and reliability, most unusual for first-year, American-designed cars (though the new Chevy Malibu, also an impressive design, also did fairly well in the reliabilty department). At first, the Fusion/Milan/Zepyhr (MKZ) were offered with the choice of 4 or V6 engines (V6 only for the MKZ) and FWD only, though AWD versions (with the V6) were later offered.

It is not surprising that these cars have developed a good reputation for quality. Ford's new corporate leadership, unlike that of GM and Chrysler, has not only managed to keep the company away from the auction block, bankrupcy, and Government bailout money, but appears to be serious about catching up to the Japanese in vehicle quality. Consumer Reports now rates almost all Ford products, with a few truck-based exceptions, as average or better in reliability....far more so than with GM or Chrysler, though some GM designs have shown quality improvement as well.

For 2009, the Fusion line is offered in 3 conventional gas-engine lines.....the S, SE, and SEL (the new Hybrid is considered a 2010 model). As before, two gas engines are offered....a 2.3L, 160 HP four and a 3.0L, 221 HP V6. Three transmissions are offered...a 5-speed manual, 5-speed automatic, and 6-speed automatic. FWD is offered with the Four, and FWD/AWD with the V6 (the Four is not considered powerful enough for the extra weight/drag of AWD). The Hybrid comes with a special, Ford-designed, Atkinson-Cycle, gas 2.5L in-line four with 156 HP and a 106 HP permanent-magnet electric motor of Toyota design (as with the Escape hybrid, Ford and Toyota worked jointly on the Fusion's Hybrid powertrain). Only four-door sedans are offered in the American market; no other body styles (though I wish that Ford would do a raised, wagon version the compete with Subaru wagons).

Though, of course, it has negative features just like any other car, I was, overall, quite pleased with the new 2010 Fusion Hybrid. Despite a few flimsy-feeling switches and snaps inside, it is apparant that this was NOT a car that was just thrown together carelessly on the assembly line, with little inspection, and then pushed right out the front door to the dealerships. This car showed a number of signs of quality in its materials, solidness, and assembly precision. I know that this will sound like heresy to many of you Toyota/Lexus fans in the forum, but, IMO, the new Fusion trumps the Camry, quality-wise, in several areas, particularly in door solidness and interior trim/hardware (go see the car for yourself if you doubt this). This, of course, is the result, not only of Ford's efforts to improve quality, but also the fact that Toyota has significantly cheapened new Camrys compared to their predecessors, using flimsier materials. The new Camry still has its traditional butter-smooth, refined drivetrain and a slightly better paint job than the Fusion, but, otherwise, the Fusion, IMO, generally outdoes it. Both the Camry and Fusion, of course, have excellent Hybrid drivetrains (the Fusion's, of course, is partly Toyota-sourced)...more on that later.

I chose to review a Fusion Hybrid for several reasons, despite the fact that it is a rather hard-to-get model right now. First, there seems to be a lot of CL interest in it, although I did not get any direct review requests. Second, the vehicles that I DO have review requests for have still not arrived in area dealerships except for the new Camaro, and new Camaros are all pre-sold and not available for test-drives (yet). There is also a lot of interest in the new Fusion Hybrid in the general auto press. And, like it or not, we could (?) be looking here at one of the bedrock cars of the near-future. The Obama Administration, just a few days ago, announced new CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) for the 2016 model year just 6 years away (less than that, from an auto-design standpoint, as it often takes several years to design and perfect new vehicles. Obama announced a 36-MPG average-fleet-economy standard for the future, and Congress, for the most part, seems to be going along with it, though it could be modified a little. But, given the Fusion's superb 41 MPG city and 36 Highway ratings, which is astounding for a car this size and weight (far more than any other mid-side car in the American market), we have what appears to be a new state-of-the-art for this class. No, it can't match the 51 MPG City rating of the new Toyota Prius, but the Prius doesn't have this size, weight, or (presumably) comfort. And, with 39 MPG combined, the new Fusion Hybrid easily meets the new 36-MPG CAFE demand that the Government is determined to shove down our throats.

I also had a rather pleasant review in some other ways, too. First, it was a gorgeous day...mild, sunny, and dry. The owner of the Ford shop I went to today was a former Lexus salesman in the past. In fact, he was the same sales rep I had bought my yellow Lexus IS300 from, years ago. His late father had owned a different branch of the same Ford dealership. As I had not seen him in several years, before the review, I went into his office, and we talked over some old times. He knew I was car-saavy, and was interested in my opinion of today's Lexus and Ford products. I told him I had joined CL several years ago and also had a Subaru. He was more than glad to let me take a new Fusion Hybrid out for a spin. By sheer luck, he had an unsold one there, a black one (and unsold hybrids can sometimes be hard to find, as gas prices, and demand for hybrids, are going up again). It didn't stay unsold long, though. As soon as I got back to the dealership with it after the review and test-drive, someone else was waiting with a salesman for a test-drive, so I gave him the key and a brief description of the way it drove. That person took it out, came back, and bought it, right on the spot (I didn't ask how much he paid, but, with the demand for hybrids even in a recession, it was likely at or close to list). And, guess what? I knew THAT salesman, too. A former co-worker of mine, with my help, had bought an F-150 Ford truck from him.

OK, so much for rehashing old times. On with the review.

Model Reviewed: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Base Price: $27,270

Options:

Selection 3 (502) Package: $3945

All-Weather Floor Mats: $75

Destination/Freight: $725

List Price as Reviewed: $32,015

Drivetrain: FWD, 2.5L Atkinson-cycle, in-line 4, 156 HP *, Torque 136 ft-lbs.*, Permanent-magnet Electric motor, 106 HP*, Torque 136 ft-lbs.*, 191 HP combined, CVT (Continuously-Variable Transmission).

*Ford does not publish the separate HP/Torque/@ RPM figures for the gas/electric motors on their website (at least I couldn't find it). They just give a 191 HP figure combined, with no torque or RPM figures. I obtained some of that from other auto websites, but still couldn't get the RPM-peak
power figures. Electric motors, though, theoretically, give maximum torque at 0 RPM, and it lessens as motor speed increases. Also, to get the "combined"
power figure of the two, it is not just a straight addition of the HP/torque figures of the two motors. Hybrids don't work that way, due to a number of
physical and electronic factors.

EPA Mileage Rating: 41 City, 36 Highway, 39 Combined.

Exterior Color: Tuxedo Black Clearcoat Metallic.

Interior: Black Leather with patterned Metallic trim.

PLUSSES:

Superb gas mileage for a car this size.

700 mile range possible between fill-ups.

Extremely low emissions.

Eligible for a $1700 Federal tax credit, as of this date.
(It was $3400, and is gradually being phased down)

Reasonably-priced for a Hybrid this size.

Good reliability history...one of the best for an American nameplate.

Widespread dealer network for service and repairs.

Ford not likely to go bankrupt like GM or Chrysler.

Up to 47 MPH speed possible in pure-electric mode.

Fairly good (but tight) underhood layout and insulation pad.

Good ride comfort.

Good noise isolation except for some exhaust noise from gas engine.

Nice brake-pedal feel by Hybrid standards.

Solid exterior sheet metal.

Solid-closing doors.

Excellent paint job.

Nicely done exterior chrome and hardware (though some find the grille a little garish)

Generally good dash/door panel materials and hardware.

Nicely-done, efficient trunk hinges.

well-finished cargo area.

Easy-to-use, capless, gas-filler pipe.

Fairly nice seat leather.

Generally OK legroom, front and rear.

Nice interior chrome and patterned-metallic dash trim.

Solid, nicely-designed power seat/window/mirror controls.

Slick, well-done stereo controls.

Nice stereo sound.

Nice, fore-aft shift gate for transmission.

Nice, pleasant sun-visor materials and headliner.

MINUSES:

Somewhat limited availability

May be hard to bargain on or deal.

Somewhat quirky CVT characteristics.

Adequate, but not strong acceleration.

Questionable (?) gas-engine warmup cycle.

Fairly slow steering response.

Marked body roll.

Only 6 rather dull paint colors for the Hybrid version.

No beige/wood-trim interior option like on other Fusions; only black or gray with metallic trim.

Underhood prop-rod instead of struts.

Overly-large, unnecessary plastic engine cover hampers access.

No lock for gas-filler system.

Rigidly-mounted, non-folding, side-mirror housings.

Front/rear lower bodywork hangs lower than necessary.

Somewhat hard-to-clean alloy wheels.

Bright, multi-colored, circus-like instruments and center-screen.

Small coolant-temperature gauge for gas engine hard to read.

Rather flat, non-supporting seat cushions.

No push-button engine start like other hybrids.

Munchkin rear-seat headroom like on past Fusions.

Flimsy overhead dome light switches and center-console-compartment snap-lock.

Hybrid battery pack, in the rear, prevents rear-seat folding and hampers some trunk space.

EXTERIOR:

Walking up to it, the exterior styling of the new 2010 Fusion Hybrid looks pretty much like that of previous Fusions, with some small differences in the front and rear end styling, headlights, and taillights. It maintains the same, rather conservative, basic 3-box shape, though the rear roofline and D-pillars curve down somewhat and impact on rear seat headroom.....more on that later. The paint job is excellent.....both Ford and GM, unlike Chrysler, have made enormous progress in the quality of their recent paint jobs. Unfortunately, according to the website, only exterior six colors are offered on the Hybrid...all of them, apparantly, from the city morgue. The sheet steel on the outside, though, seems strong and sturdy.....noticeably better than some Ford products of the past, though the old Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique also had strong sheet metal. The two rear doors close with a snap-like "thunk" reminiscent of Mercedes and BMW products of the 1980's....the two front doors, slightly less so, but still solid. The exterior hardware, likewise, is solid and well-done, though Ford skimped a little on the two outside mirrors by rigidly-mounting them and not providing hinges for folding. The Hybrid model, for some odd reason, has lower-body skirts on both the front and rear ends, but does not have any on the sides....this gives both the front and rear underhangings a slightly droop-look (I don't see the need for lower-body skirts to start with). The alloy wheels on the Hybrid are nice-looking, but have a lot of spokes and slits....that tends to make cleaning them rather difficult. The exterior chrome is slick and well-done, with a smooth, faultless, mirror-like surface, but opinions in the auto press seem to be divided over whether the large, heavily bar-chromed grille is too garish or not. Count me in with the ones who like it.....along with the general rather conservative extrior looks in general.

UNDERHOOD:

Raise the solid, well-constructed hood, and you are greeted with a nice, thick, insulation pad underneath and a not-so-nice, cheap, manual prop-rod instead of struts (maybe that cheap rod, like the non-folding mirrors and non-locking gas filler, helped keep Ford out of bankrupcy like GM/Chrysler). Underneath, the basic layout with the 2.5L gas-engine four-cylinder and the permanent-magnet, Toyota-designed, electric motor, is OK but a little tight. A very large (and, IMO, unnecessary) silver plastic engine cover hampers access to most of the features on top of the gas engine. A small, flip-up circular panel in the bigger cover gains access to the engine-oil dipstick. Some features in front of the gas engine are accessible, but a little tight. The battery, on the right. is exposed and easily accessible, with no annoying cover on it....ditto for some reservoirs on the left. The electric motor, like on many hybrids, is rather hard to reach, but rarely needs to be reached anyway, because of its relative simplicity, comparative lack of moving parts or service needs, and reliability.

INTERIOR:

The interior is generally pleasant and well-done, though it does have a few quirks and faults. Chief among these faults, IMO, is the clearly inadquate headroom in the back for tall adults.....odd, since the rear roofline does curve down, but not severely. It may (?) be due to the design and mounting of the rear seats themselves. The Fusion/Milan/MKZ triplets are not alone with that rear-headroom fault, BTW...we see the same thing on their GM competition, the Chevy Malibu and Saturn Aura. The switches for the overhead dome lights feel flimsy and cheap...as does the plastic snap-lock for the lift-up center armrest. The hybrid dash gauges and center-dash screen are, IMO, too garish, circus-like, and overdone, and the small temperature gauge for the coolant is hard to read. I did like the conventional, backlit, analog speedometer, though....too many hybrids use small digital ones (more on the gauges, below, in the ON THE ROAD section). I also disliked the fact that Ford won't offer the beige/wood-trim interiors on the Hybrid like it does on the other Fusion models.....the Hybrid only gets a gray or black interior with metallic trim.

I liked the rest of the interior, though.....I couldn't find much else to complain about. Though I missed the wood-trim, the patterned-grain silver/gray metallic dash trim looked nice......it wouldn't be out of place in a BMW. The four-spoke steering wheel (with manual tilt/telescope feature) wasn't my favorite design (I generally prefer three spokes), but generally felt good, had nice silver-finish spokes, and the leather stiching/wrapping felt good. The semi-soft, patterned upper-dash trim looked and felt like something out of a far more expensive car. The glove-box lock snapped shut with a strength that felt like it would hold a tank....this is a weak point for many cars nowadays. The headliner and sun visors also had a plush, nice feel.......also a growing weak point in many cars today. The controls/buttons had a durable, well-finished look and feel to them, and the stereo controls were generally easy to use......though the readout was up in the NAV screen. The stereo sound itself was good, but not up to Lexus levels....and I had a real treat to listen to today (Iggy Pop and the Stooges, the original Kings of Punk-Rock). I played a couple of their tunes I hadn't heard in awhile.

The black, stitched, leather on the front seats generally looked and felt nice (better, in fact, then the far more expensive "Leatherette" on some upmarket German vehicles), but the rather flat front seat cushions did lack some support.....not enough for a complaint. Headroom up front was OK.....much better than in the rear, provided you lowered the seat cushions enough for you to fit under the sunroof housing. Legroom was generally OK, front and rear. The rear seats don't fold down or have a pass-through, but that is a result of the hybrid battery pack blocking some trunk space...more on that below. The CVT transmission shifter had a nice fore/aft motion, with no annoying zig-zags. Visibility out the rear and around the D-pillars was generally good. The door panel trim, with chrome door handles/locks and durable-feling materials, was also well-done. All in all, a pretty good job inside......though the non-hybrid Fusions, of course, have digfferent, less-garish instruments.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Raise the solid, sturdy trunk lid, and the well-done, scissors-type trunk hinges allow it to go all the way up to and slightly past vertical, clearing the heads of tall people. Inside, the trunk compartment is generally well-finished with a nice grade of dark gray carpet on both the trunk floor and the walls. Underneath the trunk floor, in the usual place, instead of a real spare tire, is a cheaper temporary one.....something else that may have prevented Ford from following GM and Chrysler into bankrupcy. The cargo area itself, due to the car's somewhat squarish, conservative rear-end styling, is rairly roomy in width and height, but the big, bulky, Hybrid battery pack, just behind the rear seat, cuts into the length of the usable cargo area. The battery pack also, of course, prevents the rear seats from folding down and adding to cargo room. That is not necessarily cost-cutting on Ford's part, though....those are just some of the compromises that one has to make with current-technology, lithium-ion battery packs (future packs may be smaller and more efficiently-sized). Fortunately, the Fusion is a big enough car that the battery packs, though still fairly close to the fuel tank, are far enough forward that a major rear-end impact does not seem to be of great concern. That is something that has concerned me with smaller Toyota and Honda hybrids for years.........the closeness of the battery packs to both the rear end and the fuel tank. In a major rear-end impact, sparks from a ruptured battery pack and gas leaking from a ruptured tank don't make for a very healthy combination. I don't know of any actual fires or explosions resulting from that, but it is just a disturbing thought.

ON THE ROAD:

There is no engine START/STOP button like on most hybrids. Insert the conventional key into the conventional, side-column-mounted switch, turn it, and, instead of the familiar whirr of the starter and the purr of a gas- engine idle, you are rewarded with.......total silence, and all-electric operation. The battery pack turns on the dash lights, gauges, controls, and the other electrical things needed for basic operation. After a couple of seconds, when the electrical system is powered up, a gaudy, multi-colored, circus-like cluster of gauges with a conventional analog speedometer appears. When the green-leaf/Hybrid light in the lower-right corner of the gauge panel flashes on, the car is ready to go....on electric power alone. Bring the shift lever back into "D", release the console-mounted hand brake, and off you go....in almost total silence, on battery/electric power. As speed builds, you hear a little tire, wind and transmission noise, but virtually nothing from the electric motor. The power/torque level from the electric motor is OK for most stop-and-go normal driving, without the gas engine cutting in much.....one reason why the 41 MPG city rating is so high. The bright-color gauges on the dash will show you the battery charge state, the gas MPG, and how much electricity you are using. The gas engine, in my case, did not start at all until I had driven some 3-4 miles....how long it takes, of course, will depend on a number of factors and drain on the electrics. Under ideal circumstances, light load, and a full charge, the electric motor can power the car up to a speed of some 47 MPH without the gas engine at all. This brings up a couple of interesting questions I asked the Ford people there, and none of them seemed to know the answers. First, how is the gas engine is supposed to warm up normally to operating temperature (195-200 degrees) with only the electrics operating, and, Second, when the car is up to speed, if, all of a sudden, when the cold gas engine comes on to boost the electric, it just instantly fires up to the same speed the electric motor is running....that, of course, would hard on a cold engine without oil pressure. I assume that Ford (and possibly Toyota) engineers have addressed those 2 problems, but I don't know how. When the gas engine does comes on, it does so seamlessly, without the small jerk you sometimes feel in Honda-designed hybrids, which are generally less-sophisticated than Toyota-designed ones. An even more gaudy, circus-like video-sceen in the center of the dash, like on the Toyota Prius, shows you which motors are providing power.....gas, electric, or both. That center-dash screen also doubles, depending on mode, as a stereo display, NAV unit, some climate-control figures, and a reverse-TV screen for the back up camera in cars, like mine, that have the option.

Together, per Ford specs, the gas and electric motors combined produce 191 HP.....Ford doesn't say at what RPM or torque equivalent, or how they calculate the 191 HP. It is not simply the addition of the two motors combined, but determined by other factors....the engineers would have to explain it. That is generally enough for normal driving, but it's clear this is not a muscle-car by any means. The gas engine and exhaust produce a fair amount of noise under harder acceleration...not an excessive amount, but not Lexus-quiet either. A built-in feature in the car's electronics not only monitors the gas/electric motor functions, but monitors your driving habits, and, unless you floor it or place the engine under a load , automatically adjusts everything for maximum MPG, so it is likely that, driven sensibly, the average driver will often get better than either the published EPA city or highway MPG.

The CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) does not surge or have a rubbery-banding-feel like Honda CVT's (and I generally liked the straight fore-aft shifter motion without those annoying zig-zags), but, neverthess, is not without some quirks. A slight vibration and grinding feel is sometimes felt momentarily on start-up from rest, then it immediately smooths out. Acceleration, whether with the gas or electric motor, produces a small initial surge in engine RPM, followed by the response. This was most noticible through the speedometer, as I could not find a noticeable analog or digital tachometer for the gas engine....maybe (?) it was buried down in with some of the many digital read-outs. Though previous Fusions, as I stated above, have been quite reliable, time will tell if this new CVT is also reliable.....Ford, apparantly, did not have good luck wth the previous CVTs in the AWD versions of the Five Hundered/Montego, and replaced them with conventional automatics. The CVT is artificially separated into two driving ranges, "D" for Drive, and "L", for Low. There are no spearate manual sport-shift gates or shift paddles for the two ranges...you simply bump the lever forward one notch or back.

The chassis, suspension, and tires are calibrated pretty much the way I like them.....a little on the soft side. This means generally good ride comfort over bumps, though it is not a mush-mobile by any means. But steering response is a little on the slow side, and there is marked, noticeable body roll with sharp steering inputs. The power-steering pump, of course, is electric, and gives fair-to-good steering feel...OK, but not BMW-telepathic by a long shot. Road noise, with the somewhat low-rolling-resistance tires, is well-controlled, as is wind noise from the effective weatherstripping and solidly-constructed doors. Brakes, using the reverse-regenerating braking system common to hybrids, were not only smooth and effective, with almost immediate and sponge-free operation, but also did not have any of the wierd pedal sensations that some other hybrid brakes do. Nor did the brake pedal, in its placement/location, cause any hang-up problems with my big size-15 shoes going from gas to brake pedals.

THE VERDICT:

Though I don't usually follow the whims and rantings of the regular auto press (usually prefering to come up with my own conclusions), this time, after reviewing and driving the car, it appears that the auto press is right. Ford (with maybe some help from Toyota)**, seems to have come up with a winner, at least if you define a winner as a well-built four-door sedan with superb gas mileage, very low emissions, a solid reliability record, adquate (though not strong) engine power, reasonably good (but not sporty) road manners, and a general overall feeling of competence. In overall quality, it meets the superb Accord in some areas (not in others), and beats the Camry in the areas of interior solidness and hardware. The Accord once offered a hybrid, but its gas mileage was not much different from the regular version, and that's why it didn't succeed. The Camry does offer a hybrid, but its gas mileage, though good, doesn't match the Fusion's.

Of course, the Fusion Hybrid, like any car, is not perfect, and has minuses......I haven't seen a perfect car yet. The rear headroom is clearly inadequate for tall adults. Both the gas and electric motors could have better access for service and repairs. The battery pack limits cargo room and accessability some. Ford penny-pinched with some things like the temporary spare tire, hood prop, non-locking gas cap, non-folding outside mirrors, and some cheap interior switches/snaps. There should also be more exterior/ interior color/trim choices for the Hybrid. And, though the Fusion, according to Consumer Reports, perhaps leads all American-designed cars in reliability, the new, somewhat quirky, and unproven CVT transmission is a cause for concern (Ford backs it with a 5/60 drivetrain warranty, which is OK, but not up to GM or Chrysler powertrain-warranty levels).

But, for the money, what Ford is asking for it, this car, IMO, is hard to beat, if that is the type of vehicle you are looking for. I will be eager to compare it to the new 2010 Toyota Prius....I plan to review a new Prius whenever it gets to my local area here (the Toyota people say next month). The Prius will have Toyota's state-of-the-art hybrid components, and will outdo the Fusion in mileage, but probably not offer the Fusion's size or comfort. I've never liked the way that the Prius does its center-stack gauges, dash, and ontrols, either. Another car that it will be interesting to compare the Fusion Hybrid to is the new Lexus HS250 hybrid, though the HS250 will be slightly smaller and probably cost more. The existing, mid-size Chevy Malibu and Saturn Aura Hybrids compare favorably with the Fusion in some areas (especially inside), but offer a far less-sophisticated hybrid system and lower gas mileage. And, of course, Saturn's future as a division is in strong doubt, and GM, just yesterday, filed for bankrupcy....we'll have to see what comes out of the new reorganization.

** After I posted this review, several CL posters, using various sources, pointed out that the Ford-Toyota relationship designing the hybrid powertrain may not be exactly as I described it. The real nature of that relationship seems to be somewhat confusing, so I'll post this footnote and leave it at that).

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-02-09 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-02-09, 12:00 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This looks like a great car, but the price is rather steep. Its quite a bit more than Camry hybrid. From the photos and your review it seems that it is defenately superior to Camry hybrid in every possible way, but good luck convincing American consumers to spend more on American car than on an import.
Old 06-02-09, 12:08 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

great review as usual!

nice car, but for $32K I'd get a loaded Prius
Old 06-02-09, 12:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
great review as usual!
Thanks.

nice car, but for $32K I'd get a loaded Prius
Yes, the Prius is a great car, and extremely well-built, if you can live with its geekiness and unconventional controls. I find both a little too strong for my tastes. I'll reserve judgement on the new one, of course, until I've seen and driven it (should be about a month, now)....but it will not likely offer the Fusion's comfort.
Old 06-02-09, 12:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
This looks like a great car, but the price is rather steep. Its quite a bit more than Camry hybrid. From the photos and your review it seems that it is defenately superior to Camry hybrid in every possible way, but good luck convincing American consumers to spend more on American car than on an import.
The Fusion Hybrid's pricing structure is actully pretty close to the Camry Hybrid's. But, for the money, the Fusion, IMO, beats it is several areas...most notably interior material quality. The Camry, however, does have a reliable, superbly-engineered drivetrain, more headroom in the rear set, and a marginally better paint job. The Fusion's weak point, besides the cramped rear headroom, seems to be the new and unproven CVT.

And, as to the question of whether it will appeal to American consumers or not, Ford dealers have a hard time keeping Fusion Hybrids in stock, as I explained in the review. The very car I reviewed and drove didn't last another hour....the guy right behind me on the test-drive bought it and took it home that day.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-02-09 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-02-09, 12:33 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford and Toyota did not work together on this powertrain. It is Ford's second generation system. The first system used in the Escape was of Ford's own design as well, but was accomplished by a patent swap between the two companies.
Old 06-02-09, 12:37 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

Thanks for the review mmarshall

The new Fusion in general should be a hit. IMO the exterior styling is great and the interior stacks up well with the competition. Add in Ford's Sync system (I've only played with it for a little bit) and a nice range of engine choices and you have all the necessities for a solid car
Old 06-02-09, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
Ford and Toyota did not work together on this powertrain. It is Ford's second generation system. The first system used in the Escape was of Ford's own design as well, but was accomplished by a patent swap between the two companies.
Yes, it is Ford's second-generation system, but the first system (in the Escape/Mariner) used Ford engines with Toyota electric motors/battery packs under license. That is also true of the second-generation system as well, according to the Ford service people. As to your point, perhaps I could have used a better term than "working together", although that is the term that the Ford people used as well. The main point, though, was that Toyota has to design and build Hybrid units that are compatable with.....and fit......Ford engines. The 2.5L Four used in the Fusion Hybrid is a non-conventional design as well, using the Atkinson Cycle....few gas engines today have that.
Old 06-02-09, 12:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Thanks for the review mmarshall
Sure....anytime. I was lucky to get this one. It was a pleasant experience, for a number of reasons.

The new Fusion in general should be a hit. IMO the exterior styling is great and the interior stacks up well with the competition. Add in Ford's Sync system (I've only played with it for a little bit) and a nice range of engine choices and you have all the necessities for a solid car
I didn't see the Sync option listed on this car, even with the Level 3, 502A upmarket package ($3945). You probably know a lot more about it and how to use it than I do.....I'm not a high-tech junkie, and perfer simpler electronic systems and controls. It seems to be popular with young people, though.

I'd like to see Lincoln do a version of this car with really plush trim, although the power level might be a little low for what Lincoln owners generally expect. It might (?), though, compete with the upcoming Lexus HS250.
Old 06-02-09, 12:51 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

I did a quick look on the specs of the Fusion and Sync comes standard with the SEL, Sport, and Hybrid trims. They're optional on the SE trim.
Old 06-02-09, 01:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
I did a quick look on the specs of the Fusion and Sync comes standard with the SEL, Sport, and Hybrid trims. They're optional on the SE trim.
Thanks, Allen. I didn't see it on my car's sticker, but it really didn't matter....I didn't get into that stuff much on the review. The thing that I was trying to evaluate the most was how the hybrid system worked and the two engines interacted with each other. That took up probably half of my time on the actual road part of the review.

Usually, when I want music, I don't bother with that kind of Sync-stuff. I just pop in a CD or cassette tape (though some cars don't have cassette players any more) and crank up my Heavy Metal and Rock. I also check out the stereo for just plain normal radio reception.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-02-09 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-02-09, 02:22 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, it is Ford's second-generation system, but the first system (in the Escape/Mariner) used Ford engines with Toyota electric motors/battery packs under license. That is also true of the second-generation system as well, according to the Ford service people. As to your point, perhaps I could have used a better term than "working together", although that is the term that the Ford people used as well. The main point, though, was that Toyota has to design and build Hybrid units that are compatable with.....and fit......Ford engines. The 2.5L Four used in the Fusion Hybrid is a non-conventional design as well, using the Atkinson Cycle....few gas engines today have that.
mmarshall,

I find it inaccurate to say Ford used Toyota's batteries and motors under license. I'm citing this from Wikipedia.

"The Escape Hybrid uses technology similar to that used in Toyota's Prius. Ford engineers realized their technology may conflict with patents held by Toyota, which led to a 2004 patent-sharing accord between the companies, licensing Ford's use of some of Toyota's hybrid technology[9] in exchange for Toyota's use of some of Ford's diesel and direct-injection engine technology.[10] Ford maintains that Ford received no technical assistance from Toyota in developing the hybrid powertrain, but that some hybrid engine technologies developed by Ford independently were found to be similar to technologies previously patented by Toyota, so licenses were obtained."

Also for 2010, Ford has refreshed the entire Fusion line-up. There's a new trim, the 2010 Fusion Sport using the 3.5 V6. The SEL now has a 3.0 V6 option putting out 240 hp instead of 221. The old 2.3 I4 has been completely dumped and the old 5 speeds manual and auto are out too. Base Fusions have the new 2.5 I4 with 175 hp as compared to the 160 with the 2.3. Fusions have a 6 speed manual, 6 speed auto, or 6 speed selectshift auto.

Outside of that, I found your review balanced, informative, and always a good read.
Old 06-02-09, 02:53 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

I'll reserve judgement on the new one, of course, until I've seen and driven it (should be about a month, now)....but it will not likely offer the Fusion's comfort.
I know you've not test driven the new Prius yet, so obviously you can't judge...but I went with my father (he wants a new car) to test drive the 2010 Prius and I'll just say this: the comfort surprised me. Way better than the outgoing Prius model. I'll dare even say the (leather) seats matched or exceeded those on my ES330 for comfort, at least for the time we drove it.

Rear-seat headroom also did not appear to be a problem, though that's partly due to the Prius' bulbous design.
Old 06-02-09, 02:55 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Thanks, Allen. I didn't see it on my car's sticker, but it really didn't matter....I didn't get into that stuff much on the review. The thing that I was trying to evaluate the most was how the hybrid system worked and the two engines interacted with each other. That took up probably half of my time on the actual road part of the review.

Usually, when I want music, I don't bother with that kind of Sync-stuff. I just pop in a CD or cassette tape (though some cars don't have cassette players any more) and crank up my Heavy Metal and Rock. I also check out the stereo for just plain normal radio reception.
Not a problem mmarshall. The way the car drives is much more important than the various gadgets that it holds
Old 06-02-09, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
mmarshall,

I find it inaccurate to say Ford used Toyota's batteries and motors under license. I'm citing this from Wikipedia.

"The Escape Hybrid uses technology similar to that used in Toyota's Prius. Ford engineers realized their technology may conflict with patents held by Toyota, which led to a 2004 patent-sharing accord between the companies, licensing Ford's use of some of Toyota's hybrid technology[9] in exchange for Toyota's use of some of Ford's diesel and direct-injection engine technology.[10] Ford maintains that Ford received no technical assistance from Toyota in developing the hybrid powertrain, but that some hybrid engine technologies developed by Ford independently were found to be similar to technologies previously patented by Toyota, so licenses were obtained."

Also for 2010, Ford has refreshed the entire Fusion line-up. There's a new trim, the 2010 Fusion Sport using the 3.5 V6. The SEL now has a 3.0 V6 option putting out 240 hp instead of 221. The old 2.3 I4 has been completely dumped and the old 5 speeds manual and auto are out too. Base Fusions have the new 2.5 I4 with 175 hp as compared to the 160 with the 2.3. Fusions have a 6 speed manual, 6 speed auto, or 6 speed selectshift auto.

Outside of that, I found your review balanced, informative, and always a good read.
Thanks. No problem. If you find any errors on my part, feel free to point them out. I don't claim to have perfect reviews.

I agree that the Ford-Toyota relationship on the 2010 Hybrid system is confusing. The dealer service people say one thing; Ford reps say another, the auto press says another, several CL posters also seem to have diverging views, and Wikepedia says yet another. Ford and Toyota do have a several-year history of colloborating on hybrid powertrains, but if that isn't really the case with the Fusion, then, fine. What's important, though, is the car itself....that's what I tried to focus on.

I didn't really go into the 2010 Fusion line much, outside the Hybrid, though I know there are some minor styling changes....and the Fusion Sport you mention.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-02-09 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid