Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What car would you choose if you had to??
95-98 Nissan 240sx
15.22%
MKIII Toyota Supra N/A
23.91%
94-00 3rd Gen Acura Integra
26.09%
91-96 Toyota MR2 N/A
34.78%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Time for another "Beater" - I would like your input please (Poll Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-09, 11:35 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
true that, gas mileage is all that... I perfer Honda Prelude over Interga for it's size.
And displacement.
Old 06-01-09, 07:40 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SC400Dude
Nice thought...however, I hardly drive spirited...I've never owned a vehicle with over 250HP...LoL. I'm real gentle on the driving, trust me. I've been driving for well over 12 years without a single infraction *knocks on wood*. I would probably benefit most with the MR2 or 240...realistically.

I like the CRX's, but I've driven one and it's not what I'm looking for...same goes to a Civic Hatch. I'm looking to spend anywhere from $3,500-$5,000. I honestly don't like the Mini or the Scion...I'm hard to please

The 4-door Integra would be nice, but you do make a valid point. Thieves target these cars like if there were no tomorrow. I'm afraid of getting into an Integra because it may feel like I'm still driving my Civic...LoL
I've always been a Toyota fan to be quite honest. I got that Civic for free a year ago. I'm just spoiled that I have a car just for commuting to and from work. I've just grown a little tired of it over the past few weeks knowing that my brother would benefit from this car more than I have.

Thanks for your suggestions though 1Sick...your words are always valuable.

Thanks. What about the old gen Celicas then? not sure the internal name but the one with the flip up lights (turbo avail) or the quad headlight one?

Old 06-01-09, 07:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for the Integra. The Supra is not that durable or economical.
Old 06-01-09, 01:55 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

How about a vw jetta or old audi 90.being a bit optimistic here, but my vote went to the integra. We had one back in the day, and it was a beast
Old 06-01-09, 02:00 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks. What about the old gen Celicas then? not sure the internal name but the one with the flip up lights (turbo avail) or the quad headlight one?
The one with the pop-up headlights are the early 90's model...they came out with a Turbo All-Trac model that's pretty rare. I'll check em out...
Old 06-02-09, 12:26 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

If you want something more enjoyable to drive, reliable, gets good gas mileage, then the MR2 seems to be the best choice. They have the camry 5sfe motor and gets good gas mileage. Believe it or not, the 5sfe block can hold more power than the 3sgte, so these are very tough motors if you are looking for reliability. Most people with mr2 na averages high twenties to low thirties mpg. I average 25-27 mpg with my 91 mr2 turbo and 30-33 with my 85' mr2 na.

I use to have an 94 integra and not so fun to drive when compare to the mr2. On top of that, car thieves like to target the integra so it can get scary parking your car outside. I had my fair share of vandalism while owning the integra although it looks amazing with the jdm front end.

The mkIII supra is a heavy car and would be similar to your SC300 as far as gas mileage and performance(stock). My brother has one and it feels just like the SC300, except the SC has a better looking interior IMO.

I've never driven a 240sx, but ever since the drifting scene went on the rise, I've been seeing them everywhere lately.

The only two bad things about the mr2 is that you can only have one passenger with you legally(my bro somehow fitted four in his mr2 on a 2-3 hour trip one time). Also, since the motor is in the back, it can be more of a hassle to work on( a lot worse for the turbo model).

I'd say drive all four cars and see what fits your needs. Like yourself, I want something fun, reliable, and good on gas to drive. Whatever you decide, let us know and post some pix!
Old 06-02-09, 03:04 AM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The NA mkIII Supra is useless; don't waste your time. Of the cars listed I voted Integra but theft might be an issue.

As previously mentioned a Prelude would be a good choice.

For under 5k you could find an old ES300 or even a clean ES250. While I have no personal expirience with either of those cars I imagine they would be fairly fuel efficient. Actually, as I think about it, you could have your choice of Acuras. Legend, Vigor, CL, TL whatever. In fact the 99 and 2000 TLs can be had for around 5k and I can get over 32mpg on the highway. Just make sure you get one with a good transmission.

The ST16X (86-89) and ST18X (90-93) both featured pop-up lights and both had Alltrac versions (turbo 4wd). I will own an celica alltrac as they are wonderful cars but reliable they are not. If you can find one they have usually been beaten to oblivion. A 5s-fe (the 2.2l camry motor) is pretty durable and if you found a ST184 that would be a good choice too.

The problem with the MR2 for a beater is its best feature, mid-engined. Labor and parts are always more expensive. Plus, if you wanted something cheap, slow, good MPG, small, reliable, and fun...buy a miata. They are a dime a dozen down in California.

Last edited by 94lex83457; 06-02-09 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-02-09, 08:26 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
If you want something more enjoyable to drive, reliable, gets good gas mileage, then the MR2 seems to be the best choice. They have the camry 5sfe motor and gets good gas mileage. Believe it or not, the 5sfe block can hold more power than the 3sgte, so these are very tough motors if you are looking for reliability. Most people with mr2 na averages high twenties to low thirties mpg. I average 25-27 mpg with my 91 mr2 turbo and 30-33 with my 85' mr2 na.

I use to have an 94 integra and not so fun to drive when compare to the mr2. On top of that, car thieves like to target the integra so it can get scary parking your car outside. I had my fair share of vandalism while owning the integra although it looks amazing with the jdm front end.

The mkIII supra is a heavy car and would be similar to your SC300 as far as gas mileage and performance(stock). My brother has one and it feels just like the SC300, except the SC has a better looking interior IMO.

I've never driven a 240sx, but ever since the drifting scene went on the rise, I've been seeing them everywhere lately.

The only two bad things about the mr2 is that you can only have one passenger with you legally(my bro somehow fitted four in his mr2 on a 2-3 hour trip one time). Also, since the motor is in the back, it can be more of a hassle to work on( a lot worse for the turbo model).

I'd say drive all four cars and see what fits your needs. Like yourself, I want something fun, reliable, and good on gas to drive. Whatever you decide, let us know and post some pix!

Originally Posted by 94lex83457
The NA mkIII Supra is useless; don't waste your time. Of the cars listed I voted Integra but theft might be an issue.

As previously mentioned a Prelude would be a good choice.

For under 5k you could find an old ES300 or even a clean ES250. While I have no personal expirience with either of those cars I imagine they would be fairly fuel efficient. Actually, as I think about it, you could have your choice of Acuras. Legend, Vigor, CL, TL whatever. In fact the 99 and 2000 TLs can be had for around 5k and I can get over 32mpg on the highway. Just make sure you get one with a good transmission.

The ST16X (86-89) and ST18X (90-93) both featured pop-up lights and both had Alltrac versions (turbo 4wd). I will own an celica alltrac as they are wonderful cars but reliable they are not. If you can find one they have usually been beaten to oblivion. A 5s-fe (the 2.2l camry motor) is pretty durable and if you found a ST184 that would be a good choice too.

The problem with the MR2 for a beater is its best feature, mid-engined. Labor and parts are always more expensive. Plus, if you wanted something cheap, slow, good MPG, small, reliable, and fun...buy a miata. They are a dime a dozen down in California.

Thanks for your input fellas...

The more and more I think about it, the Supra is not a good choice for me. And right now...I think the N/A MR2 is getting the edge...I don't mind the servicing on the mid-mounted engine. I have a tech here that made his living on these cars in the 90's.

The only thing I don't like about the 240 is the fact that everybody associates this car with drifting...it bugs me. It's widely used in this scene and I don't want to be labeled as a "drifter".
Old 06-02-09, 08:28 AM
ViniZaoD
Rookie

Go for the MR2. They're fun and zippy and as reliable as my old camry.
Old 06-02-09, 08:39 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

MR2 all the way.
Old 06-02-09, 09:56 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

mr2 is great, but at that age your back is going to be killing you working on it. Service rates are about double on that car. I had 2 of them. Find one that already has the timing belt, water pump, and clutch done, everything else you can fix yourself reasonably, but those could cost more than the car to do.
Old 06-03-09, 12:21 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

If you get the chance to drive a stock n/a mr2(in good condition), I'm sure it will put a smile on your face. It's not all that quick in straight line performance, but it handles like it's on rail. With some suspension work and a better wheels/tires combo, the car will be a totally different beast. These are the first upgrades to both of my MR2's.

The MR2 n/a is more reliable than the turbo model so it's not like the car will be sitting in the shop ten times a year, unless you decide to do some serious power upgrades or if the car was in poor condition to start with.

There are some guys with n/a MR2's that track their car regularly even though they have well over 200k on the motor and tranny. At the end, it all comes down to how well you keep up with maintenance.

The more desirable years for the mr2's are the 93+. They have a better suspension sitting a little lower with bigger and better looking wheels(15's vs 14's). They are, however, are more costly though.