Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What overlaps and what's different between the Prius and Camry Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 01:51 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
They also ride the lane divider, so that I can't split lanes with my motorcycle, even though they're not that wide...
That sounds about right. I'm sure there's no feeling quite like being on a bike and approaching someone whose head is not positioned to see daylight because it's up an orifice.
Old 04-13-09, 10:26 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Prius=Ugg on wheels, but gets crazy MPG. I was able to pull off 70mpg instantaneous MPG while going 75.

I say that is because I think the Toyota designers had a pair of Ugg boots on the drafter's table when they penned the NHW20s on paper.
Old 04-13-09, 10:49 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
If you were hybrid shopping and limited to these two cars, what would be your thought process for choosing one?

It seems to me that even though they look very different and are rarely mentioned in the same breath, they do overlap quite a bit from a functional standpoint.

Which would you choose and why?
Prius:
  • Hatchback flexibility
  • High tech toys
  • Latest hybrid system
  • Better mpg

Camry:
  • Normal looking
  • It's a Camry... one that all owners have come to know and love
  • Drives normally
  • Outfitted like a regular Camry with Camry Options
  • Quieter
  • Much better JBL audio system
  • Sedan-look
  • More powerful
  • Doesn't scream "look at me, I'm a hybrid"

I'd choose the Prius for the mpg, hatchback flexibility and the high tech toys.
Old 04-14-09, 07:25 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Volt is a nice looking vehicle.
Old 04-14-09, 08:56 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Prius:
  • Hatchback flexibility
  • High tech toys
  • Latest hybrid system
  • Better mpg

Camry:
  • Normal looking
  • Drives normally
  • Quieter
  • Sedan-look
  • More powerful

I'd choose the Prius for the mpg, hatchback flexibility and the high tech toys.
I agree on your points of comparison, but prefer the Camry for the reasons listed.
Old 04-14-09, 09:36 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Camry:
  • Normal looking
  • Drives normally
  • Quieter
  • Sedan-look
  • More powerful
Points 1, 7, and 9 are basically identical.
Point 2 is definitely valid.
Point 3.. does it? I've read it's still very obviously a hybrid when you drive it... doesn't drive like a normal camry at all.
Point 4 is valid but kinda wraps up into point 2 in a way.
Point 5... is it really quieter than the 2010? I have my doubts.
Point 6... I guess... I dunno... we haven't heard the JBL system in the 2010 Prius though. I haven't heard it in the old one either. My parents have a Camry with the JBL system in it and I was not impressed at all. Our 4runner's JBL system is just a tad better but still not great.
Point 8... yes definitely more powerful.
Old 04-14-09, 09:38 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
The Volt is a nice looking vehicle.
I much prefer the look of the Volt to the Prius, and I much prefer its concept of being a pure EV with only a generator to support the electric function.

However it doesn't look like it's going to be out anytime soon, and it appears even after tax credits it'll be over 30 grand. Maybe that 30 grand gets you a nearly fully loaded car with standard nav and such? If so then I'd say that's reasonable. But if that's just a base car with no options then it's outta my league.
Old 04-14-09, 09:50 AM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though im not a "hatch-man", i'd ultimately choose the prius over the camry. The reason for that is because of the huge amount of MPG the prius gets over the camry.

Question: Are both the prius and camry hybrid priced relatively the same?
Old 04-14-09, 09:10 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree on your points of comparison, but prefer the Camry for the reasons listed.
mmm indeed. That's why the Camry Hybrid is the best selling hybrid in Canada and not the Prius.

Points 1, 7, and 9 are basically identical.
Point 2 is definitely valid.
Point 3.. does it? I've read it's still very obviously a hybrid when you drive it... doesn't drive like a normal camry at all.
Point 4 is valid but kinda wraps up into point 2 in a way.
Point 5... is it really quieter than the 2010? I have my doubts.
Point 6... I guess... I dunno... we haven't heard the JBL system in the 2010 Prius though. I haven't heard it in the old one either. My parents have a Camry with the JBL system in it and I was not impressed at all. Our 4runner's JBL system is just a tad better but still not great.
Point 8... yes definitely more powerful.
But it doesn't scream hybrid. Sure you get an mpg gauge and blue rings and a screen that says "EXCELLENT" when you get > 36mpg for that trip but you don't have to flick a joystick, the steering feels like a Camry and not a GT Logitech wheel and the interior looks like a Camry. It isn't styled any different.

A Camry will always be quieter than the Prius. I can't see them adding that much insulation to the Prius because it adds weight. The Camry Hybrid has an acoustic windshield and rear wheel well insulation so that's two things that the Prius doesn't have with regards to sound insulation.

Which year does your parents have? I found our 2002 Camry XLE JBL's system to be superior to our 05 Prius. The 04-05 Prius JBL is decent but nothing fancy (Esp. coming from the 02 Camry). I heard the 06+ has been improved but I can't say since I haven't heard it. I thought the 07+ Camry's JBL is pretty darn good for what it's worth.

Originally Posted by P Weezy
Even though im not a "hatch-man", i'd ultimately choose the prius over the camry. The reason for that is because of the huge amount of MPG the prius gets over the camry.

Question: Are both the prius and camry hybrid priced relatively the same?
The Prius starts at a lower price but the Camry Hybrid is pretty well equipped. They'll top out around the $30k mark (The 2010 might go past it since it has a number of Lexus features like water repellent glass, radar cruise, PCS, LKA)
Old 04-14-09, 10:32 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will today's crash test report about small cars turn buyers to the Camry Hybrid? Hmm...probably not drastically.

Anyone have any ideas as to why didn't they test hybrids like the Prius and Insight against the Camry and Accord? The hybrids are basically equivalent to economy hatchbacks with a fancier powertrain. The new Prius does weigh a lot more, though.

Wonder how the new Prius feels going down the highway at 70, compared to the Camry Hybrid.

Last edited by superchan7; 04-14-09 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-15-09, 02:35 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

I love the Camry Hybrid clear tails. My friends mother has a pearl white Camry hybrid fully loaded and loves it better than any other car she ever owned (Mercedes, Lexus, Volvo).
Old 04-18-09, 07:58 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by superchan7
Will today's crash test report about small cars turn buyers to the Camry Hybrid? Hmm...probably not drastically.

Anyone have any ideas as to why didn't they test hybrids like the Prius and Insight against the Camry and Accord? The hybrids are basically equivalent to economy hatchbacks with a fancier powertrain. The new Prius does weigh a lot more, though.

Wonder how the new Prius feels going down the highway at 70, compared to the Camry Hybrid.
Because they're not that small. The smart, Yaris and Fit are much smaller than the Prius and Insight.

Ok but the TCH will be quieter and less susceptible to wind. Hopefully the 2010 with the wider 215/45R17 tyres will address that issue.
Old 04-18-09, 09:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Brian231
I love the Camry Hybrid clear tails. My friends mother has a pearl white Camry hybrid fully loaded and loves it better than any other car she ever owned (Mercedes, Lexus, Volvo).
It was on my list of cars. I like the Camry hybrid a lot.

Old 04-19-09, 01:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

So it seems aside from looks, the Camry Hybrid doesn't have much of a reason to even exist with the Prius out... especially the 2010.
and the lexus hs250 even less.
Old 04-19-09, 01:17 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Anyone that does a lot of interstate driving will understand why the Camry hybrid exists in addition to the Prius. The Prius is fine for a city/commuter car, but an 8 hour trip at freeway speeds would drive you nuts. It is not quiet at highway speeds and the ride is not that good. The Camry hybrid on the Interstate is as nice a ride as the Lexus ES350. Different cars for different applications. I'm hoping the HS250 will have the highway ride and noise control of the Camry with near Prius fuel mileage.
Steve

Quick Reply: What overlaps and what's different between the Prius and Camry Hybrid?