Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help with Lexus Re-spray DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-09, 03:06 AM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car will be black
Minor panel work on front fender needed
Was hoping to go Matt Black
What type of spray gun should I get? I have a compressor already.
Old 04-03-09, 02:31 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend PPG paint If you got the cash you can get a boutique paint like House of Kolors but PPG seems pretty good, stay away from DUPONT's cheapest paint line, I had to sell my 350Z because that paint was so crappy and to fix it would have cost $2000.
Old 04-03-09, 04:09 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Oh ok fair enough. Are any of these paints found on Ebay.com? How much would I need to spray half the car black? A gallon?
Old 04-06-09, 02:27 AM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

So since this whole project is getting closer, I'm trying to find a good paint provider, and that is hard too. Prices are hard to find most of all, but what exactly I should use is most important.
Here is a link to what I have been looking at, but prices unknown!! Pain in the *** really.
http://chemspec.co.za/metalux_range#a6
Which products would best suite a respray from the bare metal upwards?
Old 04-06-09, 11:37 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

yikes you aren't in the US, I don't know where you can buy it, I buy mine at Tri City Paint in San Diego, any decent paint shop can answer all your questions.
Old 04-06-09, 05:15 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toy4two
yikes you aren't in the US, I don't know where you can buy it, I buy mine at Tri City Paint in San Diego, any decent paint shop can answer all your questions.
Do you think it would be cheaper to go to an automotive spray place and ask them for the paints? I might keep trying to find some online providers.
Old 04-06-09, 06:55 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Parker Gen
Do you think it would be cheaper to go to an automotive spray place and ask them for the paints? I might keep trying to find some online providers.
australia doesn't have paint supply shops?

no way...
Old 04-07-09, 12:00 AM
Stokdgs
Driver

There has to be automotive paint supply stores, that is where all the body shops order their paint and supplies from. Find one close by and ask them to help you. It might be cheaper than going through a body shop, not sure though..
They will have all the supplies you need, primer, sanding paper, the right masking tape and paper, sanding blocks, guide coat spray cans, Prep-sol, respirator, filters for it spray guns, hoses, , everything you need. If at all possible, tell them you want a factory pack paint if you are going to repaint the original color. They can also probably mix the color you want out of a few different brands.. You need funnel filters to pour your primer, and paint through before it gets into the gun, so you dont clog it..
Did you find a place to do this work yet??

DanF
Old 04-07-09, 03:29 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stokdgs
There has to be automotive paint supply stores, that is where all the body shops order their paint and supplies from. Find one close by and ask them to help you. It might be cheaper than going through a body shop, not sure though..
They will have all the supplies you need, primer, sanding paper, the right masking tape and paper, sanding blocks, guide coat spray cans, Prep-sol, respirator, filters for it spray guns, hoses, , everything you need. If at all possible, tell them you want a factory pack paint if you are going to repaint the original color. They can also probably mix the color you want out of a few different brands.. You need funnel filters to pour your primer, and paint through before it gets into the gun, so you dont clog it..
Did you find a place to do this work yet??

DanF
Pretty set for the place to do the job. Just overlooking a few things atm with that.

Found a supplier... www.houseofkolor.com.au but these are just the first I found that have decent information on the job, along with some online calculator which is suppose to figure out what products are needed for the type of paint and colour that you select. Only thing is, the selection only allowed for large or medium sized car, and I'm only doing half the car (giving some of my work away now ), so the price looks too extreme for just the paint products to me. Especially when I only need maybe half that amount, not even.

BC25 Black
Bare Metal Respray for Medium Car

The products for your paint job are shown below:

Part Description Size Avail Unit Price Qty Subtotal
1. KP2CFAG KWIKURE EPOXY PRIMER KP2CFA 3.8 litre A$221.73
2. KP2CFBG KWIKURE EPOXY PRIMER KP2CFB 3.8 litre A$195.76
3. BC25 Black - Shimrin Solid Kolor Base945 ml A$102.42
x7 $716.94
4. UFC35G POLYURETHANE FLO-KLEAR UFC-35 3.8 litre A $351.15
5. KU151Q SLOW EXEMPT CATALYST KU-151 945 ml B $124.55
x2 $249.10
6. RU311G MEDIUM REDUCER RU-311 3.8 litre A$95.74
x4 $382.96
Total (excluding shipping & handling): $2,117.64
Shipping & handling (to Australian destinations): $0.00
Total, including shipping & handling to Australian destinations: $2,117.64

If I reduce this total by a third, it should be more reasonable to quantity I need. Volume wise.

$2117.64/3= $705.88

Looks better IMO. But still too much! I'm a budget type of person, I believe there's always a cheaper way, and maybe I could take these estimates, and have another paint shop compete with it. $500 will make me happy.

Are all the above products required? Parts 1, 5 and 6 hmmm, how important are they when there is already a primer and clear coat, especially when it's going black and not pearl.
Old 04-08-09, 09:47 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Anyway, a bit of an update here. I am also custom building the body from the front end, maybe some skirts if I feel like it. Here is some shots of the body work in progress, lots more work is needed to have it looking clean and neat, but not to worry in time...

Old 04-09-09, 03:21 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

House of Kolor is the most expensive paint you can get, if you step down to PPG's medium line you will save at least 1/3 of that.
Old 04-10-09, 12:04 AM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toy4two
House of Kolor is the most expensive paint you can get, if you step down to PPG's medium line you will save at least 1/3 of that.
Thanks man, I'll look into it.