Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

DAWG choice... the Z06 wins!! BIG thanks to many here on CL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 12:29 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great choice. The C6 Z06 is a proven warrior
Old 03-18-09, 01:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

shweeeeeeeet! maybe i missed it, but when do you pick it up????
Old 03-18-09, 02:18 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

need some more pictures other than the one in your sig.
Old 03-18-09, 03:21 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

No pics....no believe!

I've always wondered when I might be satisfied with the performance of a car and not have to look further. This is one car that would be hard to grow tired of. You can blow off anything and everything that you'll ever see on the road in any and all performance categories - straight line, high speed, handling, raw power, reliability, mileage.....it's a modern day classic and one for the ages.

The next step up from this car (other than the ZR-1) would be at least half a million to a million dollars away.
Old 03-18-09, 03:28 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
shweeeeeeeet! maybe i missed it, but when do you pick it up????
Shooting for March 25th...

Originally Posted by blacksc400
need some more pictures other than the one in your sig.
As soon as she's home... count on it!!

Originally Posted by rosskoss
No pics....no believe!

I've always wondered when I might be satisfied with the performance of a car and not have to look further. This is one car that would be hard to grow tired of. You can blow off anything and everything that you'll ever see on the road in any and all performance categories - straight line, high speed, handling, raw power, reliability, mileage.....it's a modern day classic and one for the ages.

The next step up from this car (other than the ZR-1) would be at least half a million to a million dollars away.
Agreed... the S5, Porsche, IS-F, M5... I still loved the ride of the Z06 and NONE of them gets me going like when I look at that car!!

Good thing I have 2 cops that live 2 doors down... and I know the chief of police !!
Old 03-18-09, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Not really. There's the Dodge Viper around 80-90K, but, admittedly, it is poorly-built, grossly uncomfortable, and a very risky buy, reliability-wise. But, with that huge 8.0L V10, it is a torque monster.
Old 03-18-09, 04:03 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not really. There's the Dodge Viper around 80-90K, but, admittedly, it is poorly-built, grossly uncomfortable, and a very risky buy, reliability-wise. But, with that huge 8.0L V10, it is a torque monster.
A Viper, lol. Not really a step-up by modern automotive standards.
Old 03-18-09, 04:10 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Maybe poorly built...but I didn't find it too uncomfortable and where's the reliability information from? Hopefully not CR?

The Viper is a performance monster up there with the best. In ACR trim, almost NOTHING comes close. And I'm no fan of the car at all. But I know what it's capable of.
Old 03-18-09, 04:11 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Maybe if we said $200K and up... btw, a buddy in ATL had a Viper... guess what he drives now?
Old 03-18-09, 04:54 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm so jealous of you dude...the C6 Z is my dream car right now...congrats on an awesome purchase
Old 03-18-09, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe poorly built...but I didn't find it too uncomfortable and where's the reliability information from? Hopefully not CR?
No. CR does not have enough reliability data on Vipers....they don't sell enough. One of my friends, however, has had two of them (I helped him make the deal on the first one. He was part of an exotic-rental car company at the time). They were simply awful....complete disasters from Day One. One of them had the doors re-hung, and both of them had serious head-gasket problems every time thewe was some water on the roads.....the car sat so low that cold water would splash onto the hot engine block and warp the cylinder heads, necessitating replacement and gaskets. They were both replaced several times, under warranty. The Dodge service people admitted it was an extremely poor design. His company (and him) finally ended up dumpling them on the used-car market.....at a big loss, to just get rid of them quickly.

As far as the comfort issue, not only was there the usual problems associated with the ride and seating position of a car that sits an inch off the ground, but, in the Viper's case, the side-mounted hot exhaust pipes could do a number on your legs if you weren't careful getting and out.

No, there are reasons why the Corvette trumps the Viper in sales.

The Viper is a performance monster up there with the best. In ACR trim, almost NOTHING comes close. And I'm no fan of the car at all. But I know what it's capable of.
Yes, like I said in my former post, it IS a torque monster. Its throttle response is more-or-less equal to upper-line Mercedes AMG products, and actually outruns some of them.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IS-SV, I mentioned the Viper as a "step-up" from the Corvette, not for LOL purposes (and certainly not because of build quality), but simply because of power and price. And that, of course, does not include the $100,000 + Corvette ZR-1....on paper, it already trumps the Viper, IMO, though I admit I have not actually driven a ZR-1, so I can't say that from experience.
Old 03-18-09, 06:38 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

No. CR does not have enough reliability data on Vipers....they don't sell enough. One of my friends, however, has had two of them (I helped him make the deal on the first one. He was part of an exotic-rental car company at the time). They were simply awful....complete disasters from Day One. One of them had the doors re-hung, and both of them had serious head-gasket problems every time thewe was some water on the roads.....the car sat so low that cold water would splash onto the hot engine block and warp the cylinder heads, necessitating replacement and gaskets. They were both replaced several times, under warranty. The Dodge service people admitted it was an extremely poor design. His company (and him) finally ended up dumpling them on the used-car market.....at a big loss, to just get rid of them quickly.
Cool. Even though this is just anecdotal evidence, I would take this over consumer reports reliability "data".

IS-SV, I mentioned the Viper as a "step-up" from the Corvette, not for LOL purposes (and certainly not because of build quality), but simply because of power and price. And that, of course, does not include the $100,000 + Corvette ZR-1....on paper, it already trumps the Viper, IMO, though I admit I have not actually driven a ZR-1, so I can't say that from experience.
As far as pure performance is concerned, the Viper ACR will trump almost everything on the road.....maybe even the ZR-1.
Old 03-18-09, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

As far as pure performance is concerned, the Viper ACR will trump almost everything on the road.....maybe even the ZR-1.

Is the ACR sold for street use, though, like the ZR-1 is? My understanding is that the ACR is pretty much a racing car, and is not street-legal in some places.
Old 03-18-09, 06:54 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I dunno...but OP, what is your payment going to be or is there even one?

either way...I love those cars...congrats!
Old 03-18-09, 07:03 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

The American Club Racing (ACR) model was introduced in 1999. This model featured suspension and engine enhancements focused on maximizing performance in road racing and autocross environments. Horsepower was (by way of K&N air filters and smooth intake tubes) bumped to 460 hp (343 kW) in these models, while torque went to 500 lb·ft (678 N·m). Weight was reduced by over 50 pounds (23 kg) by stripping the interior and removing other non essential items such as the fog lamps. The new stiffer, adjustable suspension removed another 14 pounds (6.4 kg) Along with engine and handling mods, these models are distinguished by an "ACR" badge, along with 20 spoke BBS wheels.

A new ACR was added to the Viper line up after the 2008 model year. Its upgrades are more drastic than the original, including street legal racing tires, two piece brake rotors, adjustable suspension, and significant aerodynamic revision. No engine modifications were made, so figures remain at 600 hp (448 kW) and 560 lb·ft (760 N·m) as in the base car. The ACR gives an advantage of being street legal. The Vipers ACR is built along side the standard SRT-10 at the Conner Avenue plant in Detroit.
The ACR is very close to the regular Viper which is a blistering car that very few people will come anywhere even close to pushing near its limits. Not very refined and takes a brute force approach......but the limits are waaaay out there.

Quick Reply: DAWG choice... the Z06 wins!! BIG thanks to many here on CL!!!