Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just saw the new Genesis Coupe at the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-09, 05:41 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
As far as the Genesis, they called last night,offered it to me for $29,300 (sticker was $30,100 I think). BUT it is not the 3.8 TRACK, so it doesn't have a 6-sd, upgraded stereo or upgraded suspension. I'm trying to work time in for a test drive, but I'd get the Track version. They hope to have the 2.0T by month's end.

Stay tuned, my "soap opera" contnues...
that's ridiculous to charge that much. $30K??? It's not worth that much. no thank you

only a few hundred under sticker? do they think people are lining up for this crap?

it would be funny to see a few dealers put a markup on this
Old 03-05-09, 05:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

When I pulled my dn payment back, I ALMOST bought an M3 in Metallic Gray that was INCREDIBLE, but passion of the moment and my desire to **** the Audi Manager off to walk next door and buy the BMW was replaced by common sense... but I LOVE that car, with the wheels it was one of the prettiest cars I've ever seen... also $74K sticker, a TAD higher than the S5 or IS-F
My opinion, Russ (and I've said this before on CAR CHAT, in numerous posts), is that the M3 is overpriced compared to the 335i. The twin-turbo 335i not only pulls marginally more torque than the M3 (305 to 295, though lagging some in high-end HP, 414 to 305), but has just as good road manners in everyday driving and is noticeably smoother than the M3 on rough pavement, even with the Sport package. The 335 also pulls max power at much lower RPMs than the M3. The last M3 I reviewed, last April, listed for some 63K and had two major build-quality defects. The 335i I reviewed listed for 47K, had no assembly problems, and was, IMO, a more pleasant car for everyday street driving, although the M3 would probably beat it on a track.....it was clearly more tossable than the 335 in high-speed cornering.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-05-09 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-05-09, 06:12 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
that's ridiculous to charge that much. $30K??? It's not worth that much. no thank you

only a few hundred under sticker? do they think people are lining up for this crap?

it would be funny to see a few dealers put a markup on this

dude, it just came out. yes there are impatient people who are paying over msrp for this right now mostly from gencoupe forum. and it's not a crap.
Old 03-05-09, 06:15 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

and 30k is a bargain on this thing. it looks like a 35k car easily and similarly equipped g37 will run you 41k
Old 03-05-09, 06:56 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My opinion, Russ (and I've said this before on CAR CHAT, in numerous posts), is that the M3 is overpriced compared to the 335i. The twin-turbo 335i not only pulls marginally more torque than the M3 (305 to 295, though lagging some in high-end HP, 414 to 305), but has just as good road manners in everyday driving and is noticeably smoother than the M3 on rough pavement, even with the Sport package. The 335 also pulls max power at much lower RPMs than the M3. The last M3 I reviewed, last April, listed for some 63K and had two major build-quality defects. The 335i I reviewed listed for 47K, had no assembly problems, and was, IMO, a more pleasant car for everyday street driving, although the M3 would probably beat it on a track.....it was clearly more tossable than the 335 in high-speed cornering.

I agree 100% with ya Mike, the 335xi was and (after the S5 debacle) is a viable contender again along with the 535xi... and X5... the Audi A5 just can't run with the BMWs, the S5 could...
Old 03-05-09, 06:59 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joe80
and 30k is a bargain on this thing. it looks like a 35k car easily and similarly equipped g37 will run you 41k
You are correct... and I STRONGLY disagree with Inside Line opinion or poor interior quality.... I thought it was fine, although not quite with the regular Genesis sedan for some reason, don't ask why, just my feeling...

This is defintely a competitor to the G37 Coupe without question and for $30K I'd take it over the G, but the 3.8 Track version. For AWD, Genesis coupe loses, no AWD version available...

From my second "home", NADA (They would make $1300 on this):
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2dr Cpe 3.8 Auto Grand Touring
PRICE SUMMARY
Invoice MSRP

BASE PRICE

$27,220 $29,000

DESTINATION CHARGE

$750 $750

OPTIONS

$100 $125

TOTAL

$28,070 $29,875

Last edited by rdgdawg; 03-05-09 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-05-09, 08:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Genesis looks better than the feminine G37
Old 03-05-09, 09:04 AM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

I saw the Genesis Coupe with my friends the other day in Garden Grove. The car is amazing in person. I love how the rear seats stand a little higher so that passengers in the back can see.

The dealer had a 4k markup on it.
Old 03-05-09, 10:03 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

When I pulled my dn payment back, I ALMOST bought an M3 in Metallic Gray that was INCREDIBLE, but passion of the moment and my desire to **** the Audi Manager off to walk next door and buy the BMW was replaced by common sense... but I LOVE that car, with the wheels it was one of the prettiest cars I've ever seen... also $74K sticker, a TAD higher than the S5 or IS-F
That would've been hilarious if you bought the M and drove back to the Audi dealership in it! But seriously... you have the money, so I say get the best car possible. If you settle for something less, you are likely to regret it. Just imagine rolling in your gen coupe and seeing a M3/F/S5 pass you by. Are you saying that you wouldn't have ANY buyer's remorse? he he. Just look at all those 335 guys ending up taking a huge loss and trading in for an M3. They settled, and that's what happens. You might be cool with it at first, but once the newness is gone, that feeling is gonna creep in. I agree with mmarshall that the 335 is a better value, but m3 is still the better car, hands down. Get my drift?
Old 03-05-09, 10:41 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think you're gong to end up better off without the Audi... at least with a hyundai you can spend time actually driving it and not taking into the shop for repair after repair....
plus the genesis does look wicked. i'd break my neck more for one of those than the Audi. of course i see those Audi's every day at work so i'm jaded.
Old 03-05-09, 11:05 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

I actually liked the interior. it's not a luxury car for sure, but it doesn't look like a 20k car either. layout was good and silver plastic really wasn't that bad at all. but i bet it will even better if the silver was brushed aluminum or paint it black. the brown leather seat was great, lighting looked good, and overall it was solid through out. wish it had a little bit more headroom for the back seat, but it's a coupe, so i can't complain.
Old 03-05-09, 11:12 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by primecut
That would've been hilarious if you bought the M and drove back to the Audi dealership in it! But seriously... you have the money, so I say get the best car possible. If you settle for something less, you are likely to regret it. Just imagine rolling in your gen coupe and seeing a M3/F/S5 pass you by. Are you saying that you wouldn't have ANY buyer's remorse? he he. Just look at all those 335 guys ending up taking a huge loss and trading in for an M3. They settled, and that's what happens. You might be cool with it at first, but once the newness is gone, that feeling is gonna creep in. I agree with mmarshall that the 335 is a better value, but m3 is still the better car, hands down. Get my drift?
Yep, I'm with ya... and agreed with poster on Audi sitting much more in shop than the Hyundai. I'm "re-strategizing"....
Old 03-05-09, 11:19 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by meowCat
C'mon.... test drive the GeneCoupe and let us know your experience. Hurry up. What u waiting for...

c'mon get movin'...
LOL... couldn't make it today, two con calls buried me on way by, so... maybe next week... but I told them to call when they get a 3.8 6-sp Track... or a 2.0T... now THOSE I will drive!!!!!
Old 03-05-09, 06:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Guys......I've just posted a full-length review in CAR CHAT.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...3-8-track.html
Old 03-06-09, 09:23 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

To the OP, have you driven a 370Z with the track package yet? It's about the same cost. Overall I'm very happy with mine.

Quick Reply: Just saw the new Genesis Coupe at the dealer