Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pontiac G8 GXP test drive and review

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09, 11:54 AM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pontiac G8 GXP test drive and review

Before buying my F I was strongly considering the G8 GXP. I realize that most of you would never cross shop a car like this with the F, but for me I'm always looking for a good value. Also, as a small business owner I try not to drive anything too flashy because i don't want my customers or employees thinking that I'm doing too well.

A local dealer called me when they got their first GXPs in. The car I drove was "loaded" including the 6 speed manual. I use the term loaded loosely because for a domestic sedan that stickers for north of $40k the car was missing a lot of things I've come to expect in this price bracket. The GXP has no HIDs, memory seats or nav option just to name a few. Also, the seats are power except for the seat backs which adjust with a **** like VW uses which I found very hard to get to. However, the worst interior feature of this car is the steering wheel. I'm pretty sure they used a 2x4 as the bench mark when they designed the thing. I couldn't find a comfortable place anywhere to hold on to the steering wheel.

Moving to the outside of the car I was a bit more pleased. I have to admit that I find the G8 styling attractive. I could do without some of the fake scoops and such, but for the most part I think it a handsome and aggressive looking sedan. The GXP wheels are nicely styled, but I would prefer a finish other than highly polished. I'm sure they will look like crap after a few stops with the factory Brembos. THe paint was typical GM which is not very good, but on par with most other manufactures these days.

Now on to the important part, driving the thing. Keep in mind the GXP is fitted with a 415 hp version of the LS3 small block. My expectations were high, and to be honest I was a little disappointed.

Acceleration was strong, but lacked the urgency of the F. When the exhaust started singing I expected the speedo needle to move just a bit faster. Granted the car I was driving had all of 6 miles on it so I'm sure it would have gotten better with some miles. The LS3 was smooth and had plenty of torque to make passing a simple matter of pushing the gas to the floor. If the need to shift did arise the 6 speed had fairly short throws and felt precise. My only real complaint with the driveline is the clutch. I know this sounds strange, but it was too light. The clutch also lacked feedback so I had a hard time feeling the it engage.

My biggest complaint about the GXP, besides the horrific steering wheel, was the car's stability at speed. At lower speeds the car felt nicely balanced and controlled body roll fairly well considering the 4000 lbs curb weight and fairly comfortable ride. Once I got the G8 up to highway speeds things went down hill. The steering became very light and the front end felt very disconnected. This was all happening at around 70 mph so I was really scared to push it much faster. Part of the problem might have been over inflated tires. Dealers are bad about putting max pressure in tires instead of the manufacturer recommended pressure.

I really wanted to like this car. It seemed on paper to be the kind of car I have been wanting from an American (via Austrailia) car company for some time. The problem was the very nice small block Chevy engine just couldn't make up for all the little things the car just didn't do right. Had the handling been better, the steering wheel normal and the price closer to $30k I might have bought the car. As it is I'm afraid Pontiac is going to have trouble moving these cars without big incentives.

I would recommend that you respect the GXPs on the street. The LS3 aftermarket is significant. I know that G8 GT owners are getting an extra 40 hp from basic bolt-ons, so I would imagine the GXP guys will be able to do the same.
Old 02-25-09, 12:31 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shouldn't this be moved
Old 02-25-09, 12:42 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 8speed
shouldn't this be moved
Did I make a newbie error?

Mods, please move this to the right forum. My apologies.
Old 02-25-09, 12:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8speed
shouldn't this be moved
Don't understand, why?
Old 02-25-09, 12:54 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

so did you end up getting an is-f? or are gona get it? i always liked the corvette engine, but most of the cars that they end up putting besides the corvette drive weird. They just seem not connected to the road. Audi does that job really well
Originally Posted by Cabinetman
Before buying my F I was strongly considering the G8 GXP. I realize that most of you would never cross shop a car like this with the F, but for me I'm always looking for a good value. Also, as a small business owner I try not to drive anything too flashy because i don't want my customers or employees thinking that I'm doing too well.

A local dealer called me when they got their first GXPs in. The car I drove was "loaded" including the 6 speed manual. I use the term loaded loosely because for a domestic sedan that stickers for north of $40k the car was missing a lot of things I've come to expect in this price bracket. The GXP has no HIDs, memory seats or nav option just to name a few. Also, the seats are power except for the seat backs which adjust with a **** like VW uses which I found very hard to get to. However, the worst interior feature of this car is the steering wheel. I'm pretty sure they used a 2x4 as the bench mark when they designed the thing. I couldn't find a comfortable place anywhere to hold on to the steering wheel.

Moving to the outside of the car I was a bit more pleased. I have to admit that I find the G8 styling attractive. I could do without some of the fake scoops and such, but for the most part I think it a handsome and aggressive looking sedan. The GXP wheels are nicely styled, but I would prefer a finish other than highly polished. I'm sure they will look like crap after a few stops with the factory Brembos. THe paint was typical GM which is not very good, but on par with most other manufactures these days.

Now on to the important part, driving the thing. Keep in mind the GXP is fitted with a 415 hp version of the LS3 small block. My expectations were high, and to be honest I was a little disappointed.

Acceleration was strong, but lacked the urgency of the F. When the exhaust started singing I expected the speedo needle to move just a bit faster. Granted the car I was driving had all of 6 miles on it so I'm sure it would have gotten better with some miles. The LS3 was smooth and had plenty of torque to make passing a simple matter of pushing the gas to the floor. If the need to shift did arise the 6 speed had fairly short throws and felt precise. My only real complaint with the driveline is the clutch. I know this sounds strange, but it was too light. The clutch also lacked feedback so I had a hard time feeling the it engage.

My biggest complaint about the GXP, besides the horrific steering wheel, was the car's stability at speed. At lower speeds the car felt nicely balanced and controlled body roll fairly well considering the 4000 lbs curb weight and fairly comfortable ride. Once I got the G8 up to highway speeds things went down hill. The steering became very light and the front end felt very disconnected. This was all happening at around 70 mph so I was really scared to push it much faster. Part of the problem might have been over inflated tires. Dealers are bad about putting max pressure in tires instead of the manufacturer recommended pressure.

I really wanted to like this car. It seemed on paper to be the kind of car I have been wanting from an American (via Austrailia) car company for some time. The problem was the very nice small block Chevy engine just couldn't make up for all the little things the car just didn't do right. Had the handling been better, the steering wheel normal and the price closer to $30k I might have bought the car. As it is I'm afraid Pontiac is going to have trouble moving these cars without big incentives.

I would recommend that you respect the GXPs on the street. The LS3 aftermarket is significant. I know that G8 GT owners are getting an extra 40 hp from basic bolt-ons, so I would imagine the GXP guys will be able to do the same.
Old 02-25-09, 01:16 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UZ214
so did you end up getting an is-f? or are gona get it? i always liked the corvette engine, but most of the cars that they end up putting besides the corvette drive weird. They just seem not connected to the road. Audi does that job really well
I did get a 2008 IS F. Had it about 5 days now and couldn't be happier. I find myself looking for excuses to go drive the thing. My wife was making fun of me because I actually offered to go pick up the dry cleaning yesterday.
Old 02-25-09, 01:19 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Don't understand, why?
I screwed up. This thread was originally in the IS F subforum. I guess I should have spent more time checking out the other forums here before posting.

Thanks to the mods for moving it to the correct location.
Old 02-25-09, 01:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cabinetman
I screwed up. This thread was originally in the IS F subforum. I guess I should have spent more time checking out the other forums here before posting.

Thanks to the mods for moving it to the correct location.
Oh, now I understand.

Congrats on the IS-F, that's got to be a blast.