Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

REPORT : Toyota reviving Celica name for joint Subaru RWD car

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-09, 07:53 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
$21k for a RWD 4-banger (which will be about 190hp) by 2012 is expectable.

$19k is what we would expect in today's market.

Hell, a FWD 160hp Scion tC is $17k.
With D4S on a 2.5L boxer, I'd expect numbers closer to 250hp than 190hp.

Originally Posted by xioix
Because isn't the Genesis like 22 or 25 with the V6 with 300+ Hp
Sounds good on paper, but so far the tests show the Genesis doesn't make that much power (closer to 270hp)
Old 03-02-09, 04:15 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IL Insider: The "Toyobaru" Is "Still on Track"

TOKYO — If you've recently read a story or two about the delay, or even the demise, of the compact sport coupe that Toyota and Subaru are jointly working on, don't believe it. That's the message from knowledgeable PR sources in Japan, who tell Inside Line that this intriguing sports car program is still very much on track.

Last April, Toyota and Subaru confirmed they were working on a new compact, rear-wheel-drive sport-coupe project for 2011, the car the industry has since fondly come to know as the "Toyobaru."

To be built by Subaru and based off a new Subaru-developed platform (converted to rear-wheel drive), the sports car will also run with Subaru's prized boxer 2.0-liter engine. There will be both Toyota and Subaru versions of the car, each looking different but with the same normally aspirated flat-4 engine under the hood.

Japan's influential Nikkei business newspaper ran a headline story in December, meantime, claiming that in the wake of the severe market meltdown, the Toyobaru was being postponed.

Toyota and Subaru had decided to delay the start of production, the paper claimed, with production now "likely to be postponed to 2012 or later."

Both representatives from Toyota and Subaru's press offices in Tokyo have recently denied the story. "The project is still on track, according to the info I have on hand," says a Toyota spokesperson.

What has changed is the production site. The original idea was for Subaru to build a completely new factory in Oizumi, in Japan's Gunma prefecture, to build the car. But the economic crisis has now prompted Subaru to can that project, so the Toyobaru, when it is built, will be made inside Subaru's long-serving Gunma main plant, which is now due to be refurbished.
Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=143008

ffpower says: Welcome to LF-A Episode 2, the on-and-off-on-and-off saga...
Old 03-02-09, 07:33 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, I didn't believe that story that it was delayed. I have yet to believe either the rumors about a DI 2.0L H4. So much speculation about this car, it's not worth getting all worked up about it until we see anything concrete.

My words for Toyota/Subaru (being a youth or at least relatively young): there is a big demand for a lightweight, affordable, economical sports car among enthusiasts my age (22). Gimme the AWD Subaru model with a 6MT and I'll give you my money.
Old 03-03-09, 06:43 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Honestly, I didn't believe that story that it was delayed. I have yet to believe either the rumors about a DI 2.0L H4. So much speculation about this car, it's not worth getting all worked up about it until we see anything concrete.

My words for Toyota/Subaru (being a youth or at least relatively young): there is a big demand for a lightweight, affordable, economical sports car among enthusiasts my age (22). Gimme the AWD Subaru model with a 6MT and I'll give you my money.
+1, I'm 22 as well and would love to see a RWD/AWD coupe model at an affordable price. And if they make a turbo (STI/All-trac) trim I'd definitely pony up the extra money for that as well.
Old 03-03-09, 09:25 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99

Hell, I wish I was back to being 22. If they can produce something that's engineered as beautifully as it looks then I'll give them my money too. I've been wanting a lightweight affordable 6MT RWD. I'm hoping it will at least have 200HP. The MT better be good too, not the craptacular POS that's in the 2IS.
Old 03-04-09, 11:35 AM
Janizary
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shoyuu
Hell, I wish I was back to being 22. If they can produce something that's engineered as beautifully as it looks then I'll give them my money too. I've been wanting a lightweight affordable 6MT RWD. I'm hoping it will at least have 200HP. The MT better be good too, not the craptacular POS that's in the 2IS.
Agreed on all of the above. Particularly the part about being 22 again

I've been looking (not actively) at getting a new 'fun' car to add to the corral, and the timing was right when this car was originally 'estimated' for a US release. When I first heard it was shelved I started looking at the used S2K market. Don't get my wrong, I like the S2K I just have one issue: my shoulders have a real issue with fitting in the tight seating (my left shoulder is mashed into the door due to my mutant-width shoulders).
Old 03-04-09, 11:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hope the production goes forward, besides the Scion tC, there is a real opportunity for a Toyota sports coupe...even in this economy.
Old 03-23-09, 07:29 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default REPORT: Toyota reviving Celica name for joint Subaru RWD car

Mar 23rd 2009
REPORT: Toyota reviving Celica name for joint Subaru RWD car

The last report about the on again/off again sports car being developed jointly by Toyota and Subaru was that it's on again. Today comes word from L'Automobile in France that not only is the rear-wheel-drive Toyubaru going to happen, but it will arrive bearing the Celica name sometime in 2010. If Wikipedia is to be believed, this would be the eighth generation of the Celica, which traces its roots all the way back to 1970 when it debuted in Japan as an inexpensive rear-wheel-drive sports car. Through the years it switched to front- and all-wheel drive, with the final seventh generation Celica sold from 2000 - 2005 being a strict cart puller. L'Automobile claims that Thierry Dombreval, Toyota's VP of sales and marketing in France, spilled the beans on reviving the Celica name, so we won't consider this news solid until a second source comes forward or Toyota officially confirms it, neither of which is likely to happen. So for now all you Celica fans should just sit tight and light a few candles for your cause.

Source
Old 03-23-09, 09:14 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

So it's now on-again?

Ok, even though I've said before that I'll believe it when it is officially announced by Toyota but this is still great news no matter what.
Old 03-23-09, 01:59 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
So it's now on-again?

Ok, even though I've said before that I'll believe it when it is officially announced by Toyota but this is still great news no matter what.
Last news is that it was on.
Old 03-23-09, 03:16 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Just bring back Supra TT!!!
Old 07-27-09, 01:14 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think this new toyubaru is going to look pretty cool and give the Genesis a run for its money. I have a felling its still going to cost more than a Genesis
Attached Thumbnails REPORT : Toyota reviving Celica name for joint Subaru RWD car-toyota_rwd-coupe_1w.jpg  
Old 07-27-09, 08:32 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

make one awd turbo and call it an Alltrac and it will be in my driveway when it comes out lol
Old 07-27-09, 09:24 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

^ let's start with them just making (and selling) one ... then maybe we can work on an Alltrac