Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura TSX - 280HP V6

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-09, 04:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ffpower
The TS on the V6 TSX should be manageable if Acura uses the same technique for the last generation TL-S.

I test drove that car before, sure the TS is there but for a FWD car with close to 300 hp, it isn't bad at all.
Acura is considered the best in the fwd business for managing torque steer. From what I've heard from recent owners, Nissan Maxima was one of the worst.
Old 02-12-09, 05:20 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the V6 TSX is going to be a hot seller, there isn't much to not like for the package.
Old 02-12-09, 06:24 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Acura is considered the best in the fwd business for managing torque steer. From what I've heard from recent owners, Nissan Maxima was one of the worst.
Tell that to owners of a TL - it's torque steer city. Not anywhere like a Maxima/i35, but it's still bad. It's no A4, that's all I'll say.
Old 02-12-09, 06:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
Tell that to owners of a TL - it's torque steer city. Not anywhere like a Maxima/i35, but it's still bad. It's no A4, that's all I'll say.
As I stated, Maxima is one of the worst and "Acura does a better job of managing" it,not eliminating it. Tell the TL owners to get a Maxima for the maximum thrill, it will practically tear the steering wheel out of their hands!

Yep, that's why the best premium sedans are rwd. Frankly I don't care, I have no interest owning a cheezy TL or TSX.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-12-09 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-12-09, 07:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

the LSD in the TL-S kept torque steer to a minimum. If Acura really wanted to reduce torque steer while keeping FWD, they should mount their engines longitudinally like the Legend. It allowed better weight balance (L/R) and equal driveshafts.
Old 02-12-09, 07:19 PM
roushracin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wmb
why? What's wrong with their product now beside the look?

Base on some of the post here, it seem that Acura is really a bad bad company or something but that is not really the case at all.

All their cars are good depenable car. They may not be master of anything but they are above average in term of resell and handling. Yes visually they are not eye candy but that's about it. They are still excellent cars and offer very good packages. They are not like the big three where one have to worry about seeking government help. Their built quality are not lacking and dare say not trailing lexus at all in term of built quality. Please don't make it should like Acura is going to disappear or something.
Thank you for posting this! I was going to say something along the same lines. I don't post here much but my wife owned an RX330 and we loved it buy she wanted a sedan instead so we got rid of it. Now, I am on my second Acura. I had an '05 TSX which I loved for the mpg and what I got for the money. I now have an '08 TL. SO many of you hate on Acura and Honda. WHY? Look up on edmunds.com or kbb.com and they have one of the highest resale values out there. I agree with you guys that I don't like the 'beak' look of the newer TL or even TSX but is that a reason to hate the company as a whole. When I look through these forums I see a lot of people *****ing and complaining that their IS has this problem or that problem. You guys paid about 5k more for that IS than I did my Acura. Sorry to rant but there are a lot of people on here that frequent the acurazine boards and we don't hate on Lexus as much as you guys hate on Acura.
Old 02-12-09, 07:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by roushracin
Thank you for posting this! I was going to say something along the same lines. I don't post here much but my wife owned an RX330 and we loved it buy she wanted a sedan instead so we got rid of it. Now, I am on my second Acura. I had an '05 TSX which I loved for the mpg and what I got for the money. I now have an '08 TL. SO many of you hate on Acura and Honda. WHY? Look up on edmunds.com or kbb.com and they have one of the highest resale values out there. I agree with you guys that I don't like the 'beak' look of the newer TL or even TSX but is that a reason to hate the company as a whole. When I look through these forums I see a lot of people *****ing and complaining that their IS has this problem or that problem. You guys paid about 5k more for that IS than I did my Acura. Sorry to rant but there are a lot of people on here that frequent the acurazine boards and we don't hate on Lexus as much as you guys hate on Acura.
You don't read your own forums then. Hell I'm named on a regular basis, you would think I pimped their sisters to goats. Its irrational for anyone to bunch a whole forum together. I'm not and I'm not going to bad talk any Acura forums, you should not talk about CL. Its tiring people crying foul on a Lexus forum and the thread is quite sedate. There is no name calling, no "all Acuras suck" comments. Everything is pretty rational with the occasional jab or two. If you can't handle that, I question how you have a debate at home or at work when someone says within earshot something you do not totally agree with. Your life must be hard. God forbid someone does not like your own sports team.

Some of you Acura owners need to understand the difference between "hating" and "not liking or pointing deficiencies". Every forum has problems, every car has problems, you make no point there. No one here is saying Acura is unreliable and surely Lexus is not either (though Lexus is more reliable, period). You do realize car forums will prefer the car they joined up for. I can REASONABLY say (having way to much time back in the day to join dozens of different forums) you won't get a BETTER experience in CLUBLEXUS CAR CHAT when it comes to discussing brands OUTSIDE Lexus. Why?
1-We have a great and ACTIVE moderator team
2-We have great and Active members who either have experience with different cars or an open mind to them
3-We bring news from all brands and appreciate all brands
4-We do have people that prefer a brand or may not like a particular brand or two. THAT IS THEIR PREROGATIVE. Once they don't break rules, such is life!!! What forum doesn't??
5-We have some members that go the extra step with review, news, pictures and their personal experiences

As for Acura and this TSX,You miss the entire jest. Most of us grew up when Acura had a clue and had something resembling ***** in the NSX and Legend GS and ITR. Today they are all ugly, all underpowered, with old trannies, old engines and they are all based on some Honda in one way or another. This is NOT the same company we followed and loved in the early to mid 1990s. They have LOST the entire plot. We have not only seen Lexus just obliterate the company but now INfiniti, CAdillac, now HYUNDAI embarrassing the brand and passing them either in all levels or some levels. You have to ask why are they competing? Clearly only to appease the low expectations of LOYAL Honda owners (cough TOV, cough cough). We can't even say "hey Acura is quirky or different" like in the past. They are just old, ugly, tired and redundant.

Maybe as a Honda fan you like making excuses and you have low expectations. You must to continue to like Acuras. They offer pretty much a class leading NAV (they outsource, they don't even build) and that is all. What the HELL happened to Acura engineering? Did all the people that build the NSX, Legend GS, ITR move to Greenland?

Is the Acura TSX V-6 a good car. Surely it will be. Is it a lazy, 1/2 assed effort. Hell yes it is. Old engine, old tranny, no manual, no AWD and a cheapo and tacky "V-6" badge when it won't be faster than anything in class. Congrats Acura, you discovered the ES 300. WHy even bring up the fact it has a V-6? Why not just call it what it is;

An Automatic Honda Accord V-6. Wait, we already have one of those.

So lets flip it to Lexus.

If Lexus continued
to try to pawn off the FWD ES as a sports sedan
and if Lexus refused to build a true RWD IS sports sedan
and if Lexus refused to put a V-8 in the GS and keep it only AWD
and is Lexus said to hell with a real flaghship LS thats stupid
and if Lexus used fake wood and only Toyota platforms
and if Lexus said "hey 5 speed autos are enough"
and if Lexus didn't have one hybrid or diesel
and if Lexus didn't have real 4x4 SUVs
and if Lexus didn't have F-sport or the "IS-F"
and if Lexus attracted "ricers" and people that can't drive
and if Lexus used old 10 year old engines in all their vehicles
and if Lexus blew smoke up are *** for 10+ years about RWD and V-8s and "Tier I"

Do you think most of us would be here let alone defending such a lackluster effort??? HELL NO.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!!!!

drops mic.......goes off stage.......

Last edited by LexFather; 02-12-09 at 07:51 PM.

Old 02-12-09, 08:18 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

lol, his post wasn't that bad. I don't know if you had to go sexual chocolate on his azz.

I have absolutely no interest in purchasing any Acura sedan, save for a used RL at a huge discount as a beater. I thought Acura was supposed to be the performance arm for Honda, and now all but a couple vehicles are not FWD.

That said, the V-6 TSX will probably be a hit.
Old 02-12-09, 08:22 PM
highstakes
Pole Position

I have no problem with Honda, and all my life I've owned nothing but Honda's (until now that is). Their F1 program in the 1980's made some of the best engines in the world. Gordon Murray, father of the McLaren F1, was a big fan of the NSX/Honda and wanted A HONDA engine in his new car (went with a BMW engine since Honda said no). My TSX was fun to drive, but I wanted a RWD car that had decent power...the IS was a perfect fit.

1SICKLEX pretty much summed up why people dont like Honda/Acura atm.
Old 02-12-09, 08:27 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Dang 1SICK, you certainly put a lot of effort into that last post...

I gave up on trying to tell the Honda/Acura fanboys about how horrible their products are now a days compare to when I was into it. Some people just don't get it that everything is comparable and in the game of luxury auto market, "good enough" is just not going to cut it.

Sigh...
Old 02-12-09, 08:39 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Funny that the best-looking Acura is, in essence, a Honda (JDM/European).
Old 02-12-09, 08:49 PM
LexFather

I hope people READ it b/c I think its pretty accurate and truthful. I was the guy that ALMOST bought a 2.2 CL when it debuted (got ES instead). I flirted with the $600 NSX lease (hell there is a thread here about it). I still heart the 4 door Intergra quad light GS-R. I've started threads on the NSX, 3rd gen TL and ITR and Legend. I truly admire those cars. Maybe I'm so vocal b/c I used to really REALLY heart this brand.

Now there will be those that say "hey, they still sell pretty good". They do, even with sales down 4 years in a row when this year is done. Thing is I know two things
-Honda/Acura owners can be loyal to a fault
-They have some of the lowest MSRPs around

We have also seen Acura promise time after time and not deliver. We have watched Hyundai of all brands offer a true luxury car before they did. We have seen Lexus grow and expand to a level no one expected. We have seen Caddy and Infiniti become more legitimate luxury players. Sales are not everything.

It does tick me off when I see a good thread going and people want to just jab the forum or Lexus owners and bunch them together when its a solid thread. This is not TOV. People here for the most part have a pretty sound mind.

The final thing is why would a Lexus owner be so impressed with stuffing an old engine in a car, slapping a V-6 badge, 18" wheels and thinking thats so great? It would be like Lexus bringing us the Toyota Avensis, not changing a thing, slap Lexus badges on it, throw in a V-6 and call it a Lexus. (The HS is clearly is so far from a rebadge its not even funny). Then I ask why would an Acura owner be impressed? What is so impressive about it? I think its low expectations b/c of years of lackluster or okay product when everyone else is on another level of focus. If you have an I-4 TSX for years, hell ANY V-6 sounds good.

The TSX should have had a V-6 a long time ago. If they TRULY TRULY were interested in keeping young, loyal fans, they would have kept it the same size as last, somehow fit the RDX turbo motor, put in SH-AWD and THEN say "here is a TSX Type-S". THAT is what the old Acura would have done.

Its hard to take Acura serious when this is the best they can do.

Whats truly odd is their ALMS cars are quite damn good and gave Porsche quite the scare last year.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/acura-lmp1-race-cars/

Last edited by LexFather; 02-12-09 at 09:36 PM.

Old 02-13-09, 05:33 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i was an acura fan boy. i loved my 2001 acura cls. it was 260hp(that was a big thing back then), interior was decent, exterior was somewhat boring but didn't offend anyone. i bought a decently used one for 19k. but then tranny blew. it blew over and over again. i had 100k warranty, but i got so sick of taking it to the shop, so i got rid of it. since then my love affair was over, and i just moved on. last gen TL/TSX was aiite, but nothing exciting.

have not driven any recent ones, but none of them are exciting and i hate the grill. and why can they ever get the RL right? all they have to think is LEGEND.
Old 02-13-09, 06:36 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

I am an acura/honda fanboy and also toyota/lexus fanboy as well.

Before we bought our RX350. We checked the MDX and I also test drive the IS250 not the 350, TSX and TL(08).

IS250 is a nice car, but too small and underppower for us so we look at TSX which is also underpower for us. Both handle superbly, if I don't launch it then I can't really tell that one is RWD and one is FWD. I don't drive like a maniac so really world for me and I would dare say 90% of the population, could careless if both these cars are fWD or RWD.

I sat in the ES but did not have a chance to test drive it. But did test drive the 08 TL w/ six speed. Definitely have torque steer when I launched it. But normal driving there's no torque steer.

Finally we both test drive the MDX and RX. Wife like the RX more and since it's smaller than the MDX. If say Acura was offer a smaller car like the RX and Lexus was offering the MDX, we would have take the Acura. We don't like the RDX. We are pretty indifferent between Lexus and Acura. Both have are excellent car. We bought the Lexus because it fit our need and well the wife .. those who are married would understand

We look at the material in all the car as well as the build quality. I do not see Acura is lacking behind Lexus. They on-par with each other in my opinion.

I do not know as much as 1SCKLEXUS about engines and how they are old and not innovative. All I know is Acura/Lexus both have excellent cars with high resell and very dependable. Acura have their transmission issue just like toyota have their own issue. Not all car are perfect.

I believe Acura match well with lexus although Acura does not have the prestige that Lexus does.

MDX <--> RX
TL <--> IS/ES
TSX <--> IS/ES
RL <--> GS

Whether you agreed or not, as a comsumer that's how I look at it when I shop. Sorry but prestige does not play a big role in my car buying decision. I don't drive like a maniac nor launch my car at every stop light so torque steer does not matter to me. I am not a race car driver so I can't really tell if it's a FWD or RWD 90% of the time.

Price wise they are very competitive with each other. I don't see the issue of you get what you paid for. As for fun to drive car, but both the Acura/Lexus handling although very good just can't have the same feel as the BMW. BMW just somehow get the formula correctly that no one could copy.
Old 02-13-09, 07:39 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I've lost sight of the main topic here, or maybe just lost interest.

Quick Reply: Acura TSX - 280HP V6