Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura TSX - 280HP V6

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-09, 08:33 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear Acura,

While you are working hard to make the TL as irrelevant as possible why don't you give the TSX SH-AWD too. That outta do it...

Yours truly,

ffpower
Old 02-11-09, 08:40 PM
06TLDude
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
No need for the existence of TL.
I disagree. One reason that would keep me from buying the V6 TSX is the interior. The new TL interior is miles ahead. The interior and SH-AWD would put a new TL in my driveway over the V6 TSX.
Old 02-11-09, 08:44 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I've always said that the turbo would be the best option for this car.
Old 02-11-09, 09:18 PM
highstakes
Pole Position

Really surprised no 6-speed is offered with the V6 (but you can with the Accord), TSX was my last car and absolutely loved the transmission.
Old 02-11-09, 09:32 PM
TCM55
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by highstakes
Really surprised no 6-speed is offered with the V6 (but you can with the Accord), TSX was my last car and absolutely loved the transmission.
For real, I found that very surprising also. When I heard about this, I was starting to think that Acura was getting their stuff together, but there they go dropping the ball again. If not a manual option, at least have the six speed autos offered in most modern cars today.
Old 02-12-09, 01:37 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

this is how acura should do it:
1. bring back the old platform
2. stuff the 3.5 engine in it
3. add the awd system
Old 02-12-09, 06:21 AM
wmb
Rookie

Out of curiosity, does having a 6-speed increase fuel consumption? Better gearing?

What advance does 6,7,8 speed over your typical 4,5 speed ? well beside bragging rights.
Old 02-12-09, 06:58 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wmb
What advance does 6,7,8 speed over your typical 4,5 speed ? well beside bragging rights.
In general, you get better fuel economy because the gearing can be better matched to the conditions the engine is being forced to work under as you accelerate, decelerate, etc. Smoothness can also be improved since the switches from one gear ratio to the next are smaller.

The cost is added complexity in the transmission design, which equals higher cost ($) and potentially mechanical problems as compared to a simpler, fewer-gear design.
Old 02-12-09, 07:00 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

They should have went with the RDX Motor in TSX and call it a day.
Old 02-12-09, 07:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by wmb
Out of curiosity, does having a 6-speed increase fuel consumption? Better gearing?

Its not bragging rights. Its called "advance" which is ironically Acura's tagline, which should be called "reverse". Take the Lexus 8 speed for example, it not only offers better gearing for not only better performance but also better MPG. It also has LESS parts and WEIGHT than the 6 speed. For companies truely interested in engineering and taking things to the next level, it is expected. An ancient 5 speed is laughable. You do realize Buick, Ford, Hyundai, Chevrolet, etc etc all have 6 speed autos. I guess maybe they are scared to build one since they can barely build a 5 speed? I have no idea.

BMW and Audi will also have 8 speeds now. Benz and Infiniti have 7 speeds. There is SMG offered, dual clutches, all sorts of advancements in transmissions, a VITAL part of the car, especially anything that will be sold or advertised as "sporty". Lexus has 8 speeds, 6 speeds and CVT. Their 8 speed in the IS-F was significantly redesigned to become sportier and shift nearly as fast as a Ferrari.

Acura would rather trick you with a cute NAV system that can tell you if the red light is on at Krispy Kreme instead of investing in the actual car.

Old 02-12-09, 07:36 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Iceman
The cost is added complexity in the transmission design, which equals higher cost ($) and potentially mechanical problems as compared to a simpler, fewer-gear design.
The Toyota 6 speed transmission has fewer parts and weighs less than the 5 speed.
Old 02-12-09, 07:38 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea RDX motor wouldve been better
Old 02-12-09, 07:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, 6/7/8 speed modern auto trannys enhance performance, mileage, driveability, much more than just a marketing ploy. In terms of driving pleasure, the close ratios afforded by multispeed trannys can be felt by the experienced driver.

btw, I assume Acura will undercut IS350 pricing with this V6 TSX.
Old 02-12-09, 07:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed, 6/7/8 speed modern auto trannys enhance performance, mileage, driveability, much more than just a marketing ploy. In terms of driving pleasure, the close ratios afforded by multispeed trannys can be felt by the experienced driver.

btw, I assume Acura will undercut IS350 pricing with this V6 TSX.
TSX undercuts everyone b/c its a pre entry level car, not IS/3/C etc competition. I'm assuming with the V-6 pricing will be around 32k.

RDX motor can't fit b/c of intercooler on top of the engine. Unless you want a TSX with a hood scoop If anyone has seen the TSX engine bay, there is TONS of space inside, the V-6 will fit with no issues. Though I wonder how even more front heavy this car will be.

Bottom line, this move does make sense for Acura.

Old 02-12-09, 07:46 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I would take the TSX over the TL if they are offer the same engine. I just don't like the style of the new TL......the front looks too large......to me

Quick Reply: Acura TSX - 280HP V6