Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai's Veloster Coupe Concept headed for production... and America!

Old 02-11-09, 07:09 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Hyundai's Veloster Coupe Concept headed for production... and America!

Back at the 2007 Seoul Motor Show, Hyundai somewhat quietly unveiled a slick little coupe concept dubbed Veloster. The chunky, funky two-door then proceeded to make the rounds that show season, including stateside debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

Thanks in part to good feedback, there was considerable speculation in 2007 that the front-drive showcar was being considered for production as a possible Scion tC fighter. In the intervening years since those rumors surfaced, however, Hyundai has gone on to roll out both concept and production versions of the Genesis Coupe, a development that seemingly extinguishing the Veloster's star. But all is not so – we have just learned from well-placed sources within Hyundai that the coupe (also known as the HND-3) has been given the green light. Furthermore, the car will not only reach production, it will find its way into U.S. dealerships, likely as a 2011 or 2012 model.

We expect the Veloster to keep its front-drive, two-plus-two layout, and it would make sense for the car to generate less power than the more performance-oriented 2.0T Genesis Coupe – a car that has 210 horsepower and 223 pound-feet of torque. The Veloster showcar was powered by Hyundai's 2.0-liter inline-four, and the production car figures to do the same. For reference, the corporate powerplant makes 141 hp in the new Elantra Touring, although a few more ponies would likely find its way into the barn for the sportier Veloster. If the Korean automaker can keep the concept's tidy packaging (it's nearly 21 inches shorter than the Genesis Coupe), performance should still be quite sprightly while returning attractive fuel-economy figures.

Interestingly, this news may also help explain why Hyundai chose to pass over branding the Genesis Coupe as a Tiburon. The Veloster's production name has reportedly not yet been decided upon, and as the shark moniker still has some brand equity – and the model itself has always been configured as a front-drive and four-cylinder – it's possible that the name could live on with this new model.

With the Genesis Coupe, Hyundai appears to have given disenfranchised import performance enthusiasts something of a successor to now-legendary rear-drive performance cars like the Nissan 240SX (Sylvia) and the Toyota Corolla GT-S (AE86). Could the Velostar be Korea's answer to a latter-day Honda CRX? Cross your fingers...
Source
Old 02-11-09, 07:12 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hyundai is to be applauded for their aggressiveness but I will be very pleased when they stop raiding other car maker's stylistic touches. I see some clear Mazda traits in this... especially the front.
Old 02-11-09, 09:06 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the back is from volvo...thats new!
Old 02-11-09, 11:23 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

scirocco roof lines and fiat 500 interior?

Old 02-11-09, 12:38 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Roof line is actually more like 370Z. But let's get over the styling. This is what Hyundai does. It's still another bold move for them.
Old 02-11-09, 05:26 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Whats up with all the "*****ish" shifters.
Old 02-11-09, 05:32 PM
LexFather

Drunk DAve the concept is from 2007, BEFORE the VW.

Hyundai is on a tear.....Where is ClubHyundai? lol

Old 02-11-09, 06:38 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I actually predicted about 4 years ago that Hyundai would soon be a real force to be reckoned with. That was at a different forum so I can't back that up but I was right. So there.
Old 02-11-09, 08:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

They are coming up!!
Old 02-12-09, 02:56 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

wow. that design finally doesn't say "LOOK AT ME! I'M NOT ANOTHER BORING TURD FROM KOREA!"

it really doesn't look korean at all until you see the flying H and that rear section around it.

front end looks fordesque
Old 01-10-11, 06:10 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/10/2...etroit-2011-2/

Watch out CR-Z and TC, I think Hyundai going to have a winner with this one.

Old 01-10-11, 06:50 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I think it looks like ***, and not in a good way.
Old 01-10-11, 07:11 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hyundai... who would have known in just a few short years you would have everyone's attention! Very nice work
Old 01-10-11, 07:39 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have liked all of hyundai new cars, but this one looks like crap. The white plastic seat backs are horrible, and it looks almost TCish, which is another let down
Old 01-10-11, 07:44 PM
JessePS

I wish they would stick with the concept design

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hyundai's Veloster Coupe Concept headed for production... and America!