Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bob Lutz to step down as product chief at General Motors

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-09, 09:38 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Bob Lutz to step down as product chief at General Motors

Bob Lutz is stepping down as General Motors' vice chairman and global product chief, the automaker said Monday. Tom Stephens will be GM's new head of global product development.

Lutz, a noted car collector who turns 77 on Feb. 12, has been at GM since Sept. 1, 2001.

Lutz was hired by GM Chairman Rick Wagoner to inject passion and style into GM's product lineup. The automaker had been widely criticized for building vehicles with bland exterior styling and interiors covered in cheap-looking plastic.

Lutz arrived and questioned everything about GM--its products, its hierarchy and its product development strategy.

Lutz's first shot in turning GM's product lineup around was the surprise introduction of the Pontiac Solstice roadster at the 2002 Detroit auto show. Lutz had ordered the concept built soon after joining GM--and the concept when from initial sketch to drivable vehicle in less than four months.

There have been several other landmark vehicles during Lutz's tenure. Among them: the Cadillac Sixteen concept, the revival of the Pontiac GTO and the Chevrolet Malibu, which was named the 2008 North American Car of the Year.

Lutz's automotive career also includes stops at Ford Motor Co., BMW and Chrysler. He left Chrysler after retiring Chairman Lee Iacocca picked GM executive Bob Eaton for the top job.

After leaving Chrysler, Lutz served as CEO of battery maker Exide Technologies from 1998 to 2002.
PRESS RELEASE: Bob Lutz moves to Senior Advisor Role; Will Retire at End of 2009; Tom Stephens Becomes Vice Chairman - Global Product Development

GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner today announced that Robert A. Lutz, GM Vice Chairman - Global Product Development, will transition to a new role effective April 1, 2009 as Vice Chairman and Senior Advisor. Lutz, 76, will provide strategic input into GM's global design and key product initiatives until his retirement at the end of 2009. He will continue to report to Wagoner.

Wagoner also announced that effective April 1, 2009 the GM Board of Directors elected Thomas G. Stephens, Vice Chairman - Global Product Development, reporting to President and Chief Operating Officer Fritz Henderson. Stephens, 60, is currently Executive Vice President, Global Powertrain and Global Quality. In this new assignment, Stephens will maintain his responsibility for overseeing GM's global quality activity.

Concurrent with this appointment, GM is restructuring its global powertrain group to integrate powertrain functional activities into their respective global GM functions. Accordingly, in his new role, Stephens will have responsibility for global powertrain engineering, in addition to global design, product engineering, product planning and program management. Powertrain manufacturing will report to Gary Cowger, Group Vice President of GM Global Manufacturing and Labor Relations. Other staffs that support the GM Powertrain organization will be integrated into their respective global functions. These moves represent another important step in GM's restructuring initiative to create a leaner, more efficient organization.

"Bob Lutz was already a legendary automotive product guy when he rejoined GM in 2001," Wagoner said, "and he's added to that by leading the creation of a string of award-winning vehicles for GM during his time here. His 46 years of experience in the global automotive business have been invaluable to us. I've personally learned a great deal from Bob and have very much enjoyed the time we've worked together," Wagoner added. "I'm looking forward to Bob's continued contributions to GM for the remainder of 2009 - and I know the impact of his efforts leading GM global product development will continue for years to come.

"Tom Stephens is the perfect guy to take the reins of GM's global product development," Wagoner continued. "He's had extensive experience in virtually every aspect of our global product development activities. With his 40 years at GM, Tom has an extraordinary understanding of our products and our organization, and is highly respected worldwide. I'm confident that with Tom's passion for great products and vast knowledge of advanced propulsion, he will continue to raise the bar in executing outstanding GM cars and trucks.
Source: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090209/FREE/902099997
Old 02-09-09, 10:31 AM
LexFather

He will be missed and I tip my hat off to him. He is one of the main reasons GM "gets it" and has given us so many new products. Even failures like the GTO were great gambles that he took. The new Malibu and of course the Vettes and the Solstice/Sky are great vehicles.

I hope they continue his legacy of building truly competative vehicles and ones that are NOT BEATEN by the ugly stick Honda currently uses. GM cannot afford to sell ugly cars. Lutz made sure that was turned around.

Old 02-09-09, 10:58 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lutz did a really good job, hopefully GM can keep it up with out him.
Old 02-09-09, 11:25 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Lutz was hired by GM Chairman Rick Wagoner to inject passion and style into GM's product lineup
I see some passion and style, but not much.
Old 02-09-09, 11:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
He will be missed and I tip my hat off to him. He is one of the main reasons GM "gets it" and has given us so many new products. Even failures like the GTO were great gambles that he took. The new Malibu and of course the Vettes and the Solstice/Sky are great vehicles.
I basically agree. Many GM products, except for the thinner-gauge sheet metal now used on the doors and the tendency to more aggressive, firmer-riding tires which I don't care for, are now far better overall than they were in the past.

There is one big exception, though. Wagoner and Lutz have let Saturn really go down the drain. When they stopped letting Saturn sell the S-series, replaced it with the miserable Ion (Mike, you and I can both agree the Ion was a joke), and generally phased the excellent, plastic-bodied cars out in favor of rebadged Opels and other GM division products, it spelled real trouble for Saturn. Neither of them seems to realize it, and soon it may be too late....although the Aura, a Malibu/Opel clone, seems like a nice product, even with a metal body.

But, Saturn aside, Lutz and Wagoner have generally done a good job with GM, though you wouldn't know it by the bailout money. And Lutz is no spring chicken...he is well up in his 70s, a former Marine fighter pilot, and has been in the auto buisness over 40 years. Maybe he's earned his retirement. And I also suspect he just wants to bow out now and let newer, younger people move up and help restructure the corporation for the future.
Old 02-09-09, 11:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes his contributions were noted. He should enjoy retirement.
Old 02-09-09, 01:35 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Lutz is no spring chicken...he is well up in his 70s, a former Marine fighter pilot, and has been in the auto buisness over 40 years. Maybe he's earned his retirement. And I also suspect he just wants to bow out now and let newer, younger people move up and help restructure the corporation for the future.
While I think Lutz did a decent job improving the superbly generic feeling of "oh, look, it's another GM - you can tell by the plastic" interiors, the exteriors of some of these cars are horrendous. I am not an angular fan whatsoever, so when I see Cadillac anything now it makes me cringe. You can put a huge engine in it all you want - if it looks like a stealth bomber going down the road I won't even take a full look at it, much less a second one.

I have to disagree with you on the idea that they're handing the reins over to someone much younger. 60 is a bit beyond the scope of where I would be looking, to be honest. I think someone in their mid 40's who is not having a midlife crisis could do very well in that position and possibly make GM's designs turn around.

Definitely agree with you about Saturn, though. While I wasn't a fan of the Fisher-Price bodies, they at least looked decent. The new offerings are bland, save for the Sky, but it's a bit on the angular/Cadillac tilt which makes me like the Solstice better.

I do wish him well, though. He's certainly earned his retirement and has done the industry as a whole a service by being there.

Big Mack
Old 02-09-09, 02:29 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Good job Bob. I don't believe we would ever have seen cars like the Pontiac G8, Buick Enclave, new Cadillac CTS( especially the V) and Chevy Malibu and ZR1 without Lutz at the helm. He knew his cars and he knew how to motivate and lead people.

That said I think I heard he is going to work on global warming.
Old 02-09-09, 02:58 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Talking

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
That said I think I heard he is going to work on global warming.
Causing more of it, or fighting it? LOL

Big Mack
Old 02-09-09, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
While I think Lutz did a decent job improving the superbly generic feeling of "oh, look, it's another GM - you can tell by the plastic" interiors
The interior improvements are mostly dash trim, steering wheels, chrome gauge rings, and the feel of the climate-control *****. But much of it mostly the same old GM plastic with a surface coat of glitz on it.

I have to disagree with you on the idea that they're handing the reins over to someone much younger. 60 is a bit beyond the scope of where I would be looking, to be honest. I think someone in their mid 40's who is not having a midlife crisis could do very well in that position and possibly make GM's designs turn around.
I wasn't just talking about his particular vacancy. Lutz's departure will probably open up a number of lower positions in the GM chain of command as well. Several people will probably bump up a notch.

Definitely agree with you about Saturn, though. While I wasn't a fan of the Fisher-Price bodies, they at least looked decent. The new offerings are bland, save for the Sky, but it's a bit on the angular/Cadillac tilt which makes me like the Solstice better.
It was hard to beat those thermo-plastic bodies. They didn't rust, didn't corrode, didn't dent (though the paint, of course, would scratch), and could quickly clipped on and off for accident repair. They also had superb water-borne paint jobs that gave them a wet, "glisten" look, especially in the darker colors. In some cases , the replacement panels could even be ordered pre-painted from the factory so that there would be less work for the body shop, and you would have a factory-quality paint job.

Yes....those were the days, at Saturn. Now they're gone.

I do wish him well, though. He's certainly earned his retirement and has done the industry as a whole a service by being there.
Agreed....except for Saturn.
Old 02-09-09, 04:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

But if any company could benefit from fresh blood, it might be GM.