Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review Update: 2010 Lexus RX350/450H

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-09, 11:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review Update: 2010 Lexus RX350/450H

Last winter, by multiple CL requests, I reviewed the new, totally redesigned 2010 Lexus RX350. I also, at the time, received a couple of requests for the Hybrid RX450H version. The Hybrid was not available at that time, but is just now being released in the Washington, DC. area. Like a number of other just-released new vehicles, unsold ones are rather difficult to find right now, but a dark gray AWD model (it also comes in a slightly less-expensive FWD model) was available at a nearby Lexus shop his morning that was available...at least for right now. It had just had a deposit put on it by a prospective customer, then the deal was cancelled for some reason, and it went on the market (temporarily) this morning. They allowed me a review and brief test-drive.........not as long as I would have liked, but enough for a write-up. Not surprisingly, it didn't last long.....when I got back from the brief test-drive, another deposit had already been put down on it, sight unseen, by another prospective customer.

The only real differences between the RX450H and the less-expensive, conventional RX350 are with the drivetrain, steering, and braking system, although there are also some trim and gauge differences as well. So, I saw no need to write up a completely new review for the RX450H. What I'll do here, instead, is include my RX350 review below for basic reference and just highlight the differences between the 350 and the 450H.

Here's the RX350 review:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...xus-rx350.html

And here's the RX450 review update:

RX450 dash gauges:

Model Reviewed: 2010 Lexus RX450H AWD

http://www.lexus.com/models/RXh/

Base Price: $43,250

Options:

Comfort Package: $825

12-Speaker Premium Audio/19" wheels: $660

Bi-Xenon HID headlights: $1175

NAV System: $2440

Tow Prep Package: $238

Wood/Leather Steering Wheel/Shift Lever: $330

Cargo-Area Accessory/Wheel Locks: $232

Destination Charge: $875 (this, IMO, is somewhat of a rip-off....similiar vehicles have a freight charge between a $600 and $750)

List Price as reviewed: $52,535

Drivetrain: AWD, transversely-mounted, 3.5L VVT-i V6, Front/rear permanent-magnet electric-drive motors, total system 295 HP (Lexus does not quote HP-RPM or torque-RPM figures for the 450H), CVT Transmission with Manual/Snow modes.

EPA Mileage figures: 30 City, 28 Highway

Exterior Color: Smoky Granite Mica (a darkish gray)

Interior: Parchment (Light gray) Leather with Brown Walnut trim

EXTERIOR:

Outside, there is very little difference between the RX350 and the RX450H. The 450H, of course, has the hybrid logos on it, and a big "Hybrid" emblem on the chrome lower-body running boards. The exterior paint colors, for the most part, are about the same, and the 450H, of course, has the same superb paint job and fit/finish that all Lexus products do outside.

UNDERHOOD:

Terrible. Same hood/struts/insulation pad as the 350, but even worse underhood access. EVERYTHING, except for a couple of filler caps and one or two reserviors, is hidden by covers or down in a big hole on the left side.

INTERIOR:

Pretty much the same as the 350, with the same superb quality and fit/finish. The main difference between the 350 and 450H, inside, is the substitution, on the dash, of a set of hybrid-flow gauges in the area that the big analog tachometer is on the 350. (I included a graphic shot of the hybrid gauges above).

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Basically the same as the 350. From what could tell, the 450H's battery pack did not interfere with rear-seat folding for added cargo space....and there are remote rear-seat-releases in back. As an added bonus, the rear seat-backs can recline, like the front, for added comfort.

ON THE ROAD:

Here, of course, is where you find most of the differences between the 350 and 450H. The 450H's hybrid system uses the same 3.5L V6 as the 350, but tweaked to work in conjunction with the front electric motor (two additional rear electric motors are provided for the on-demand AWD mode). Like all Toyota/Lexus hybrids, it can run on gas or electric power alone. On start-up with the power button, like other Ford/Toyota/Lexus hybrids, a green dash light signals all is ready to go. I started out in pure electric mode on the ECO setting, and ran that way briefly, but, if you hit the Power setting for the hybrid system or give it some gas, the gas engine cuts in......you can hear it, but, of course, being a Lexus, the engine/exhaust noise is very quiet. The power level, with both motors operating, is pretty healthy for a luxury-oriented, non-sporting SUV, and gives you a mild shove in the back.....Lexus quotes a 7.4 second 0-60 time. The CVT transmission has an annoying zig-zag shifter, but has (+) and (-) built-in driving ranges. there are no paddle-shifters on the dash....that is done with the lever in the manual-shift gate.

The wind and road-noise level, of course, is super-quiet. Steering response, to me, felt a little quicker and snappier than in the regular 350....perhaps a result of the hybrid's electric steering unit and/or a different steering-gear ratio. Ride comfort, to me, felt a little smoother than the regular 350. The brake pedal was fairly well-placed, with no hang-up problems for my big feet, but, due to the regenerative-braking system common to all hybrids, had a little different pedal feel than the 350. The pedal felt a little mushier at first, and then took hold strongly as you pressed it further down.

THE VERDICT:

I enjoyed driving this smooth, super-quiet, versatile, luxurious SUV as much, if not more, than its 350 brother (and believe me, I enjoyed that vehicle as well). But I'm not sure that the few extra MPG the hybrid system gives is worth the added price (my tested vehicle, with package options, listed for over 52K, about 5-6K more than the similiarly-equipped RX350 I reviewed). The hybrid MPG figures are definitely better then the conventional version, but it still is not that really a high-mileage vehicle like the Ford Fusion hybrid or smaller Toyota/Honda hybrids......the 450's hybrid system seems designed more for power and flexibility than high mileage. The best fuel savings come in the city, where the hybrid gives 30 MPG to the regular version's 18. On the highway, though, the difference is much smaller......the 450 gives 28 to the 350's 24. (Full-hybrids than can run on electric power alone usually give better city figures than on the highway, because the electric motors run more and the gas engines don't cut in so much). So, if you do most of your driving in the city or in stop-and-go driving, you will save more gas, on a proportional basis, than if you take mostly long trips. But the 450 is, of course, an expensive vehicle....the difference in price between a 350 and 450H could buy a lot of gasoline, at today's gas prices.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-24-09 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-24-09, 12:30 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Thanks for the update mmarshall. My folks currently own a 400h and they have nothing but good things to say about it. I'm still not a fan of the interior, but I'll definitely be checking it out the next time I bring their car in for service.
Old 06-24-09, 12:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Thanks for the update mmarshall.
Sure. Anytime.

My folks currently own a 400h and they have nothing but good things to say about it. I'm still not a fan of the interior, but I'll definitely be checking it out the next time I bring their car in for service.
The 450H interior is almost identical to the the 350. The only significant differences are in the primary gauges, where a hybrid-function gauge replaces the analog tach, and a couple of hybrid trim parts.

On one thing, though, I agree with you.....I don't care for the console-mounted computer-mouse in the 450H, any more than I did for the same one in the 350.
Old 06-25-09, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I also have requests, of course, for an HS250 hybrid review (plus my own curiosity), but Lexus tells me that it will not be released nationwide until this fall......probably September. Ryan (flipside909) will probably keep us up-to-date on that.
Old 06-25-09, 06:39 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good review.

I saw the new RX in downtown Stuttgart a week ago. Looked pretty good to me (better than the RX it replaces). Had a peek inside too but as nice as the exterior is, I just cannot befriend that disastrously styled interior. There is no doubt in my mind that the workmanship is there, but in terms of design I feel it (and the new HS250h cabin) are pretty "wacky". This type of unsymmetric dashboard styling just doesn't go hand-in-hand with the conservative and balanced nature of typical Lexus design.
Old 06-25-09, 06:53 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I got a 2010 RX350 loaner when my IS was getting some recall stuff done. It was nice smooth and real spacious. Interior was a big improvement over the last one. Well done redesign
Old 06-25-09, 07:05 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen both the 450h and 350 in person and for once, actually think the hybrid is worth the money over it's gas-powered counterpart. I am not sure that I could say that about the LS600hL (lack of performance and efficiency, IMO) or GS450h (lack of space).

The 450h has the 19" wheels which look great, as do the optional LED projector headlights, but 30mpg combined is a pretty huge deal. I would bet the RX 350 would do low 20s combined...probably 22 or 23mpg. If the 450h can pull off an extra 7 or 8 mpg, maybe more in some situations, then I really do think it is worth the price premium when comparably equipped with the 350.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 06-25-09 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-25-09, 07:08 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike, thanks for the update.

Did you feel a difference in the 450h's weight disadvantage? Or was that addressed by both the increased power and modified steering response?
Old 06-25-09, 08:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 131 Posts

So no noticeable differences in build quality, fit and finish, etc., between the Japanese built RX450h and the Canadian made RX350 ... sounds good, thanks for the review.

I've sat in the new RX, and I like the modern looking interior much better than the previous RX's
In 10 days, I will finally get to drive a new RX350 loaner when I take my SC430 in for maintainence.
Old 06-25-09, 09:49 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I have seen both the 450h and 350 in person and for once, actually think the hybrid is worth the money over it's gas-powered counterpart.
I agree. Once you start adding features to the 350 that mid 30's base price rises drastically. Not much different from the hybrid, though yes there is a premium, but at these gas prices the premium will be paid off in 4 years.
Old 06-25-09, 10:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustinV
Good review.
Thanks.

I saw the new RX in downtown Stuttgart a week ago. Looked pretty good to me (better than the RX it replaces). Had a peek inside too but as nice as the exterior is, I just cannot befriend that disastrously styled interior. There is no doubt in my mind that the workmanship is there, but in terms of design I feel it (and the new HS250h cabin) are pretty "wacky". This type of unsymmetric dashboard styling just doesn't go hand-in-hand with the conservative and balanced nature of typical Lexus design.
Well, that's just it....the outside of the new RX isn't that "conservative" any more either. With few exceptions, almost all automakers seem to be going for the aero/streamlined, bullet-shape look, with less "conservative" interiors to match.

I'm not a fan of that type of styling for several reasaons, not the least being that traditional, squared-off designs usually mean better space efficiency, both inside and out.
Old 06-25-09, 10:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
So no noticeable differences in build quality, fit and finish, etc., between the Japanese built RX450h and the Canadian made RX350 ... sounds good, thanks for the review.
Sure. Anytime. No, there did not appear to be any significant quality differences between the two, which is not surprising since, even though it is two different plants, discounting the hybrid/electric hardware, the same basic parts are used and are assembled to Lexus-grade tolerances. In fact, the only newer Lexus vehicle I've seen that I did think have some quality glitches is the 2006-2007 ES350, where some dash creaks/rattles, flimsy parts, and loose tolerances were noted.

I've sat in the new RX, and I like the modern looking interior much better than the previous RX's
In 10 days, I will finally get to drive a new RX350 loaner when I take my SC430 in for maintainence.
If you are used to a SC430, which sits lower to the ground than most Lexus vehicles, you will find the RX350 just as smooth, quiet, and refined, somewhat less-powerful, but with a higher-stance, somewhat higher center of gravity, and less-crisp handling than the SC. You will also find that, particularly with the SC's top down and folded up in back, the RX will be able to carry a heck of a lot more.
Old 06-25-09, 10:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I have seen both the 450h and 350 in person and for once, actually think the hybrid is worth the money over it's gas-powered counterpart. I am not sure that I could say that about the LS600hL (lack of performance and efficiency, IMO) or GS450h (lack of space).

The 450h has the 19" wheels which look great, as do the optional LED projector headlights, but 30mpg combined is a pretty huge deal. I would bet the RX 350 would do low 20s combined...probably 22 or 23mpg. If the 450h can pull off an extra 7 or 8 mpg, maybe more in some situations, then I really do think it is worth the price premium when comparably equipped with the 350.
Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I agree. Once you start adding features to the 350 that mid 30's base price rises drastically. Not much different from the hybrid, though yes there is a premium, but at these gas prices the premium will be paid off in 4 years.
Opinions vary, of course, on matters such as this, but I think four significant matters need to be taken into account.

One, the price difference between the two will probably turn out to be more than just the difference between the two price stickers. Unlike the 350, demand for the 450H currently far exceeds supply. The one I drove yesterday morning, for instance, was the only one at the dealership.....and one of the very few for miles around. It had already been "sold" once, fallen through, and more deposits and/or inquiries made on it in just the short time I was test-driving it. So, it is not only a more expensive vehicle than the 350 to start with, but much less likely to be sold at a discount.

Two, right now, we don't know where the price of gas is heading. It was climbing steeply for the last two months, but, right now, appears to have stabilized or even dropped a little. The cheaper gas is, the fewer benefits, mileage-wise, there are to owning a hybrid, and the longer it will take to recover the price difference, although it is well-known that a number of hybrid buyers don't necessarily purchase them for the gas mileage but for the extremely low emissions.....in other words, to make an environmental statement.

Three, the RX450 AWD, despite a significantly higher city MPG figure (30) to the RX350's (18), doesn't really have much advantage on the highway, where the 450H's difference over the 350 is only 4 MPG (24 to 28) (This is typical of most full-hybrids, because the electrics usually run more than the gas engine in stop/go driving, using less gas). So the real gas savings in terms of gallons to vehicle price, will vary on a number of factors, not just the differences in the two sticker prices.

Four, with a hybrid, you often get Federal/state tax credits and HOV (express rush-hour lanes) free-use priviledges if you live in or near a big city with HOV freeways. Conventional gas-powered vehicles don't get those HOV free-use priviledges unless they have several occupants inside, although, under the new law this year, both conventional and hybrid vehicles get a Federal tax deduction for both the state sales-tax paid on the initial sale and also the interest on the financing (if applicable) .

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-25-09 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-25-09, 11:09 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on the full hybrid. The Camry and Prius have nearly equal city/hwy mpg (at least in Canada) but they are more aerodynamic than the HiHy or RXh.
Old 06-25-09, 11:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Mike, thanks for the update.
Sure...Anytime. It would have been nice to do it last February with the 350, but Lexus didn't have the 450H ready until now.

Did you feel a difference in the 450h's weight disadvantage? Or was that addressed by both the increased power and modified steering response?
Under the conditions I drove it, I didn't notice much weight difference. One thing about the RX is that it is so smooth, quiet, and refined that it is hard to tell differences like that because so much of the driver's sensory-perception is lost and absorbed in the ultra-smooth refinement and isolation a vehicle like this provides. But, having said that, the RX did seem slightly more powerful under acceleration, particularly in the Hybrid's power mode, and quicker-steering, without seemingly losing any ride comfort. In fact, the Hybrid's suspension (and my test car had the optonal Sport Package with 19" wheels to boot), seemed to combine both better ride and better handling, which, like a BMW X5, is remarkable.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-25-09 at 11:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Review Update: 2010 Lexus RX350/450H