Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports :Toyota & Honda lead the pack in CR's Auto Brand Perceptions Survey

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 11:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Consumer Reports :Toyota & Honda lead the pack in CR's Auto Brand Perceptions Survey

Consumer Reports: Nearly Half of Americans Have Delayed Purchasing a New Car

Toyota and Honda lead the pack in CR's Auto Brand Perceptions Survey

YONKERS, N.Y., Jan. 8 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Nearly half of Americans (48 percent) reported that they will wait longer before their next vehicle purchase, according to the results of Consumer Reports' 2009 Auto Brand Perception Survey.

The weak economy is forcing consumers to assess the value of their current vehicle. The number one reason people delayed purchase is that their vehicle is in good shape (39 percent). The other top reasons are: vehicles have become too expensive (30 percent), general concern for the weak economy (30 percent), consumers are waiting for fuel-saving technologies like hybrids to become more affordable (18 percent), and interest rates for vehicle financing are too high (18 percent).

Delaying a car purchase is more apparent in lower-income households, where difficulty in obtaining financing is an issue for nearly a quarter of those respondents (24 percent).

"Car owners are considering the real costs and risks in buying a new model, emphasizing needs over wants," said Jeff Bartlett, deputy online automotive editor, Consumer Reports. "The shift in behavior comes at a time when the economy has put jobs and household budgets in peril. And for those looking to buy, the finance crunch has made it more difficult to secure a loan. These factors have pushed consumers to change priorities and have influenced brand perceptions."

The survey asked which brands consumers thought were the leader in each of seven categories: Design/Style, Performance, Quality, Environmental Friendly/Green, Safety, Technology/Innovation, and Value. In rank order, Toyota, Honda, Ford, Cadillac, and Mercedes-Benz dominated overall scores for brand perception.

Car Brand Perception

Americans rated Toyota and Honda highest in overall brand perception, at 193 and 149 points, respectively. Those brands also led in quality, value, and environmental friendliness. Overall brand perception is an index calculated as the total number of times that the particular make was mentioned as an exemplar across all seven categories, divided by the total unaided mentions.

To learn about consumer's car brand perceptions, the Consumer Reports National Research Center conducted a random, nationwide telephone survey from December 4-8, 2008, contacting 2,004 adults. The survey data was collected from the 1,745 adults whose household owns at least one car.

The results of the survey are available at www.ConsumerReports.org. ConsumerReports.org has a variety of tools, including the New Car Selector (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...tisfaction.htm) that can help consumers quick and efficiently narrow down a wish list based on factors that matter to them.

Safety

Among the seven factors in the survey, Safety stood out as the most important when shopping for a new vehicle. It was rated number one by 25 percent of respondents. The top ranking was fueled by women, who responded at a 2:1 ratio versus men in support of Safety. For men, quality was the leading factor by a significant margin. Consumers perceive Volvo leads the Safety category (71 percent). No other brand in any category can boast such a commanding lead over the 2nd-ranked brand (Ford, 19 percent) in a given category.

Quality

Twenty-one percent cited Quality as a most significant factor in choosing a new model. As with last year's survey, Toyota (32 percent) and Honda (24 percent) are perceived to lead in Quality. In perceptions of Quality, Mercedes-Benz and Cadillac also made the top-5 list. (In analyzing data on 1.4 million vehicles collected for CR's latest annual reliability survey, we find that Mercedes ranks 27th among 34 brands for predicted reliability. Cadillac is 31st.)

Value

In tough economic times, getting the most for your money is important. Nearly half of respondents agreed, with 49 percent considering Value as a leading (top three) factor. Consumers feel Honda delivers the best value, scoring 29 percent this year and 30 percent last year. Toyota shows a slight increase to 27 percent. Kia also moved up the rankings to 27 percent, from 23 percent last year.

Performance

Porsche (29 percent) and BMW (28 percent) top the performance category. Toyota has earned its placement in this ranking (22 percent) with increasingly powerful and fuel-efficient powertrains. Chevrolet (20 percent) and Ford (17 percent) round out the group, with each brand offering strong V6 and V8 engines.

Environmentally Friendly/Green

Toyota (48 percent) continues to own the "green car" concept in the public's eyes, propelled by the Prius hybrid. Honda (31 percent) has long nurtured a reputation for good fuel economy and low emissions. Chevrolet, Ford, and GMC round out the top five in a tie at 11 percent each.

Design/Style

Lexus (32 percent) captured the lead from Mercedes-Benz with its eight-percentage point increase over last year despite a product line that has seen few changes. On the other hand, Mercedes-Benz slid from 24 percent to 19 percent.

Technology/Innovation

Green and luxury brands lead in Technology/Innovation, with Toyota (34 percent) improving over last year's 30 percent score and taking top honors. Cadillac and Lexus tie for second at 22 percent. Ultimately, Technology/Innovation is the lowest priority for general consumers when shopping for their next new car based on a ranking of the seven factors in this survey.

Bottom Line

While some brands earn a deserved reputation over time, others may influence their perception through design and marketing. Perception is not reality, and it pays for consumers to review available research rather than risk a false assumption.

FEBRUARY 2009

The material above is intended for legitimate news entities only; it may not be used for commercial or promotional purposes. Consumer Reports(R) is published by Consumers Union, an expert, independent nonprofit organization whose mission is to work for a fair, just, and safe marketplace for all consumers and to empower consumers to protect themselves. To achieve this mission, we test, inform, and protect. To maintain our independence and impartiality, Consumers Union accepts no outside advertising, no free test samples, and has no agenda other than the interests of consumers. Consumers Union supports itself through the sale of our information products and services, individual contributions, and a few noncommercial grants.

SOURCE Consumer Reports
Old 01-15-09, 11:53 AM
LexFather

Arrow 2009 Consumer Reports Car Brand Perceptions Survey

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...eptions-ov.htm

2008 is here
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ions-top-5.htm

Toyota/Lexus big winners.
Toyota won highest overall strongest perception by a WIDE margin.
Toyota placed 4th in safety
Toyota 1st in quality, Lexus is 4th
Toyota is 2nd in value
Toyota is 3rd in performance
Toyota is 1st in being "Green"
Lexus is first in design/style
Toyota is first in technology. Lexus is third

Suzuki is now the lowest overall with 7 points, taking the place of Acura last year who was lowest with 8 points.

Overall brand perception is an index calculated as the total number of times that the particular make was mentioned as an exemplar across all seven categories, divided by the total unaided mentions. This approach compensates for awareness level, ensuring that every brand has an equal chance of leading a category, not just the best-selling or most-well-known brands".

Old 01-15-09, 11:58 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice!
But how Toyota won technology over Lexus?
Old 01-15-09, 12:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Nice!
Nice enough, but this CR report has limited usefulness IMHO.
Old 01-15-09, 12:46 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Its amazing that Mercedes was able to keep they're reputation for quality despite being below average to average in 10-15 years, only becoming above average very recently.
Old 01-15-09, 12:50 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Its amazing that Mercedes was able to keep they're reputation for quality despite being below average to average in 10-15 years, only becoming above average very recently.
Well, perception is not always reality. And I agree, this is useful for the manufacturers to gauge how the world views them but isn't useful in any real sense for much more than that.
Old 01-15-09, 01:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
Well, perception is not always reality. And I agree, this is useful for the manufacturers to gauge how the world views them but isn't useful in any real sense for much more than that.
I agree, only casual perceptions.
Old 01-15-09, 07:04 PM
LexFather

While some don't care, car manufacturers can live and die by perception. I've said since I've joined CL how important "image" is. Of course internet folks (people that live by the MAtix rules and ignore real world ones) want to say "oh, image means nothing, I don't care, no one I know does" when the exact opposite is true.

Image sells cars. Homes. Clothes. Condos.

This is a huge victory to those on each list and a huge BLOW to those at the lower end. If you have no image/perception, people won't even BOTHER to visit your dealership. They already assume for all intents and purposes "you suck".

FOr instance I love Mazda. THey are my favorite non luxury line. They are 2nd in LOWEST perception. Do you know how hard Mazda salespeople have to work to sell a car over the usual Honda/Toyota then?

Acura was dead last in 2008. They sell basically to loyal Honda fans and no one else. People that know/are comfortable with the brand will buy it no matter what. People outside that don't even have them on the map. Honda themselves knows this when they stated the 3rd gen TL was more cross shopped with their own ACCORD than any other car.

Image is a HUGE problem if you don't have it.

Old 01-15-09, 07:10 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
While some don't care, car manufacturers can live and die by perception. I've said since I've joined CL how important "image" is. Of course internet folks (people that live by the MAtix rules and ignore real world ones) want to say "oh, image means nothing, I don't care, no one I know does" when the exact opposite is true.

Image sells cars. Homes. Clothes. Condos.

This is a huge victory to those on each list and a huge BLOW to those at the lower end. If you have no image/perception, people won't even BOTHER to visit your dealership. They already assume for all intents and purposes "you suck".

FOr instance I love Mazda. THey are my favorite non luxury line. They are 2nd in LOWEST perception. Do you know how hard Mazda salespeople have to work to sell a car over the usual Honda/Toyota then?

Acura was dead last in 2008. They sell basically to loyal Honda fans and no one else. People that know/are comfortable with the brand will buy it no matter what. People outside that don't even have them on the map. Honda themselves knows this when they stated the 3rd gen TL was more cross shopped with their own ACCORD than any other car.

Image is a HUGE problem if you don't have it.
True. That's why I said it's of more use to the manufacturers than to the consumer.
Old 01-15-09, 07:13 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

I'm actually surprised that Lexus had such a high perception for styling. I thought Porsche or Mercedes would own that category.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Nice!
Prius.......
Old 01-15-09, 10:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Image is everything. Yeah whatever.

A simpler and more consistent approach to winning in the automotive business is having the best products. The image will be better because of it.
Old 01-15-09, 10:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

cool info. Its nice to know what people perceptions are. I guess I was right again. Lexus and Toyota are top notch in my eyes and the eyes of most consumers.
Old 01-16-09, 04:05 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

love to see that tomoco and homo co are still riding on the coattails of their hard work in the past.

all their new stuff seem to be going downhill =/
Old 01-16-09, 06:58 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Image is everything. Yeah whatever.

A simpler and more consistent approach to winning in the automotive business is having the best products. The image will be better because of it.
Not sure what business you work in but that is far from the truth. Look at the list, Mazda is the 2nd lowest on there and they have SUPERB products.

There are many solid brands that didn't make any list or just one.

Old 01-16-09, 07:14 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mazda is the 2nd lowest on there and they have SUPERB products.
7's and 8's are known for breaking down.

and i'm not just talking about the engine lol

I have a few friends who own 8's and 7's.

the number of times the car's been in the dealer will amaze you.

However, they are very loyal to the brand and love it.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports :Toyota & Honda lead the pack in CR's Auto Brand Perceptions Survey