Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which exterior do you prefer?
Hyundai Genesis Coupe
35.62%
Infiniti G37 Coupe/Nissan Skyline
45.21%
They are Equal
16.44%
I hate both
2.74%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Hyundai Genesis Coupe vs Infiniti G37 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 08:01 PM
Slick85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, I go with the G. I don't really like the design of the Genesis coupe, just doesn't work for me for some reason. Also I don't like how it is soooooo much different than the sedan. I feel if you have a sedan and coupe version of a car they should relate way more than they do now. The Genesis sedan looks upscale and this coupe looks like a $16,000 new tiburon.
Old 01-06-09, 08:03 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm curious how the Genesis looks cheap? Then the G37 would look cheap too no, especially since it has to share its looks with the Altima coupe? What makes the G37 look more expensive from the exterior?

Both Genesis and G37 are RWD with short overhangs.

I wonder if this thread was re-named "Hyundai Genesis vs Nissan Skyline" would people call the Genesis "cheap".
I think the reason people think the Genesis is cheap is b/c of its "inspired" styling. It seems like all Hyundai did was cut and paste together what they felt were they best aspects of vehicles it was meant to compete against and came up with the Genesis sedan (just look at that grill). In terms of the coupe it looks like the "inspiration" came solely from the G. To be honest I'm surprised they didn't stick in LED DRL's.

I'm not impressed by Hyundai's design b/c it only seems one step up from the Chinese re-badged doppelgangers and many steps behind the rest of the companies they are trying to compete against.

Until Hyundai manages to find its own style, I would never consider them as a competitor in the luxury market and for that I'd pick the G.
Old 01-06-09, 08:40 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

I'm curious how the Genesis looks cheap? Then the G37 would look cheap too no, especially since it has to share its looks with the Altima coupe? What makes the G37 look more expensive from the exterior?

Both Genesis and G37 are RWD with short overhangs.

I wonder if this thread was re-named "Hyundai Genesis vs Nissan Skyline" would people call the Genesis "cheap".
The genesis just looks cheap looking period. Remove the badges if you want, the G37 looks way better. The G37 looks more refined and classy. You can compare the genesis to the altima coupe if you want. The pics that you posted of the silver g37 and the silver genesis shows the huge difference in what looks better imo
Old 01-06-09, 08:43 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Two completely different cars. One of them is a luxury sports coupe, the other is just a much cheaper bang-for-the-buck semi-sports car.

The Genesis Coupe's interior is nothing to brag about. It's exterior, though it looks great, doesn't have that classier upscale look of the G37.

Genesis Coupe starts at ~$22,000... the G37 starts at ~$35,000.

I don't see many cross shopping between the two. If anything, the Genesis Coupe will receive people who are looking for a 4 seater "sports" coupe and just can't afford a car like the G37 or 335i.

Kudos to Hyundai for making a great car for the money. But its not in the same class as a G37.
Old 01-06-09, 08:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
The genesis just looks cheap looking period. Remove the badges if you want, the G37 looks way better. The G37 looks more refined and classy. You can compare the genesis to the altima coupe if you want
That is absurd. The G37 looks rather bland and what is so "classy"? I think its nice but you don't see it and think "wow thats expensive". The G35 had much better proportions. Hyundai has done a better job of making a more "manly" and aggresive car with the same basic theme and design. There is nothing cheap about it.

Maybe this will change your mind.
http://cache.jalopnik.com/cars/asset...kyline_JDM.jpg

There badge is changed, now does that look cheap?

Old 01-06-09, 08:50 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

That is absurd. The G37 looks rather bland and what is so "classy"? I think its nice but you don't see it and think "wow thats expensive". The G35 had much better proportions. Hyundai has done a better job of making a more "manly" and aggresive car with the same basic theme and design. There is nothing cheap about it.

That's a completely subjective argument. Hell, if someone thought a Kia looks classy, I'd scratch my head but let it be since its someone's personal opnion.

The G37 in just much more refined: its a luxury car, whereas the Genesis Coupe is not.

There is a good amount of difference in money. So I doubt people will expect the same quality you would find in the G37.

But once again, I give Hyundai credit for the cars they have made recently.
Old 01-06-09, 08:52 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Again, its my opinion. You yourself can like the genesis all you want. I wouldnt be caught dead in it. It was a toss up for me to get a 335i or a g37. I chose a 335i because i wanted to try BMW out. I didn't even have the slightest thought about getting a genesis. And I'm sure most people shopping for a luxury coupe wouldn't consider it either.

EDIT: Found a nice pic of a g37

How does the genesis even compare imo

Last edited by Hypnotik; 01-06-09 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-06-09, 08:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by skater
That's a completely subjective argument. Hell, if someone thought a Kia looks classy, I'd scratch my head but let it be since its someone's personal opnion.

The G37 in just much more refined: its a luxury car, whereas the Genesis Coupe is not.

There is a good amount of difference in money. So I doubt people will expect the same quality you would find in the G37.

But once again, I give Hyundai credit for the cars they have made recently.
We are talking about exteriors. This could easily be Hyundai Genesis vs Nissan Skyline 350 GT. Would people think its so "classy" then? As for people cross shopping we don't know yet what will happen. Surely some people will gravitate towards the G37 b/c of its interior and the dealer service.

However the Genesis sedan has proven people will take a RWD competitive Hyundai serious. This coupe will do the same, maybe more so since it will be cheaper.

Its one thing to prefer one design over the other and thats fine. To call one "cheap" is ridiculous since they are similar in a lot of ways.

People just have a hard time thinking Hyundai can style cars and sell now luxury cars. Lexus/Acura/Infiniti had the same issue (and still do).

Old 01-06-09, 09:03 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

We are talking about exteriors. This could easily be Hyundai Genesis vs Nissan Skyline 350 GT. Would people think its so "classy" then? As for people cross shopping we don't know yet what will happen. Surely some people will gravitate towards the G37 b/c of its interior and the dealer service.

However the Genesis sedan has proven people will take a RWD competitive Hyundai serious. This coupe will do the same, maybe more so since it will be cheaper.

Its one thing to prefer one design over the other and thats fine. To call one "cheap" is ridiculous since they are similar in a lot of ways.

People just have a hard time thinking Hyundai can style cars and sell now luxury cars. Lexus/Acura/Infiniti had the same issue (and still do).

I honestly don't understand your "...vs Nissan Skyline 350 GT" argument at all. How would the G35/G37 change if the badge changed?

As far as cross-shoppers, ofcourse there will be a relatively few people cross shopping. That happens all the time with cars that aren't that similar in terms of pricing and market. But overall, I just don't see many cross shopping between the two. They are targetting different markets and the price gap is pretty significant.

I wouldn't call the Genesis Coupe cheap (in general & in regards to quality & class). But when you compare it to a car like the G37, that already has its identity established in the USA along with a much more refined and upscaled interior, the Genesis Coupe is "cheap".

Again, not taking away any credit for what Hyundai has done in the last year. They did something I never expected Hyundai to do: sell quality vehicles.
Old 01-06-09, 09:09 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't quite understand how you argue that the G37 looks that much better than the Genesis?

I couldn't, and really still can't, tell the difference between the two when I look at the originally posted pics. They look almost identical.

I can't comment on the interior and to it's quality, but from the exterior pics it looks almost like Hyundai copied the Infiniti?
Old 01-06-09, 09:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
How does the genesis even compare imo
Compare? What on earth makes that look so special or so much better than the Genesis? Or anything for the matter?

The paint does look good.

Old 01-06-09, 09:21 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I don't quite understand how you argue that the G37 looks that much better than the Genesis?

I couldn't, and really still can't, tell the difference between the two when I look at the originally posted pics. They look almost identical.

I can't comment on the interior and to it's quality, but from the exterior pics it looks almost like Hyundai copied the Infiniti?
I'm not arguing on the subjective views of looks. You can believe what ever you want to believe.

I can definately see that the Genesis Coupe is Infiniti G37 inspired/mimic, but that doesn't mean they look "almost identical". But if that's how you see them, I could care less. Everyone has their own personal views and tastes.

That wasn't my argument.
Old 01-06-09, 09:26 PM
Slick85
Driver School Candidate

Why can't you guys just agree to disagree? No point in going back and forth, everybody has their own opinion.
Old 01-06-09, 09:33 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skater
I'm not arguing on the subjective views of looks. You can believe what ever you want to believe.

I can definately see that the Genesis Coupe is Infiniti G37 inspired/mimic, but that doesn't mean they look "almost identical". But if that's how you see them, I could care less. Everyone has their own personal views and tastes.

That wasn't my argument.
Ummm....I don't recall addressing your argument (whatever it is?) in my previous post.

I am now, and you need to cool your jets....no need to be a douche.

I was simply stating my opinion that I see them as looking almost identical.
Old 01-06-09, 09:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Slick85
Why can't you guys just agree to disagree? No point in going back and forth, everybody has their own opinion.
Agree here. Its sad though that people just bash its design when it looks just like the G37/Skyline. So might as well bash both. The damn 2 cars are pretty identical.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Genesis Coupe vs Infiniti G37 Coupe