Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Mecedes S550

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 10:39 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile 2007 Mecedes S550

well this morning I back the car up in my garage first time in a week this is what i see...new oil stain on my garage floor

a 100k 3 years old car with 32k miles leak oil..ooook.. i'm not sure is thats normal.. i just pick up the car from service last week and i thought everything was fixed

my old 04 ls430 with 3x the millege doesn't even have any problems this car has... first year the s550 was pretty much trouble free.. 2nd year few small issue.. now the car is 3 years old it start to have some problem.. still this car is not as bad as my old E55k..luckly the car is cover under warrently so no out of pocket repair.. this car is 39mos lease so it is going back in few months.....I know for sure the next owner that pick this car up for like 20k is gonna have lots of fun fixing it
Old 01-04-09, 10:52 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

While I can forsee this turning into a Mercedes reliability flame war thread, I just want to say that I am sorry to hear about your frustration with the car. A lot of people have been buying new Mercedes on the promise of their renewed quality and reliability, but at least in your instance, that does not seem to be the case.

Good luck with it...and at least it's a lease!
Old 01-04-09, 10:58 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These cars are going to go for 20 grand?
Old 01-04-09, 12:15 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, that is Mercedes Benz living up to its reputation!!! What did you expect from a Mercedes Benz....reliability...that is like expecting sense from a monkey!!
Old 01-04-09, 12:21 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does the MB forum say
Old 01-04-09, 12:35 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

A $100K Benz and it leaks. That's a shocker. My 13 year old ES 300 doesn't even leak oil or transmission fluid whatsoever...I'd rather have a 13 year old Lexus than a 2010 Benz...
Old 01-04-09, 01:05 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Somewhat unrelated but I hate giving back leases knowing that I took the heavy depreciation hit and now someone else is driving my well maintained car for next to nothing. I now keep my cars for much longer and only lease the high trouble cars (i.e. Range Rover)...
Old 01-04-09, 01:19 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Gotta love that Mercedes and pretty much German car reliability and engineering, all that money (90-100K) for such a nice car that cannot even get the basics down like a 17K Scion or Honda Fit/Civic can with not leaking fluids all over the driveway. How can after over 100 years of building automobiles can some companies still not get the basics down like a engine or transmission that does not leak fluids and it is still somewhat acceptable to many. I really like some Mercedes models and generally respect the brand but it is absolutely pathetic that they actually design and release such poorly engineered cars for reliability over the past 10-15 years and so many people still overpay for them mainly based on that nameplate and Mercedes image. Mercedes comes out with lots of new technology and performance and some really nice models on the high end but it is almost pointless when it has not been engineered to really last or work right and constantly has problems. It is not like the S class is some rare super exotic from a small company that does not have the money or resources to properly engineer everything, a S class is a pretty mass marketed car from a huge auto manufacturer and it is unacceptable that they still have all these common problems. I could never over pay so much for a car that is constantly having problems and always needing to go to the shop while my neighbors 20-40K Hondas, Toyotas, Scions, Acuras, Lexus, etc are so much more reliable and don't leave me stranded or without a car time after time even if they are not as nice.

I hope your issue is pretty isolated and the car does not give you too many problems down the road but unfortunately from Consumer reports, listening to other Merc owners that is unfortunately probably not going to be the case.
Old 01-04-09, 01:19 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

It looks good though
Old 01-04-09, 01:21 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad's Merc CLS hasn't had any problems yet and its at 40k mileage used as a DD and my moms Merc ML430 has 140kmileage and the only problem is oil leak hahaha. I wouldn't say a benz isn't reliable from seeing and hearing from my experience and at least it's not like a bmw or a corvette that you usually see dead on the ground with their signals on the freeway but then I don't want this to become another bmw vs benz reliability debate hahaha...just saying..
Old 01-04-09, 01:28 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix.
These cars are going to go for 20 grand?
Not right now. The OP was just talking about later on. Even after the lease is over and in this auto market climate, I doubt you can pick up a clean 07 S for 20k.

As for the OP, was the car leaking before? It could just be an incompetent, distracted, or some other adjective tech who made an error when servicing the car. Let's not blame the car before we know it's the car.

MBs have gotten some flak for recent problems, some deserved and some just part of related backlashing. The more "widespread" issues were electrical in nature; mechanical not as much. I would contact MB again to have them recheck. Yes, it is a pain but what can you do? :

I am not saying this happened here but I've seen shops do fluid/oil changes, let things get a bit messy, and do not clean up under the car. Once the car gets home, the "mess" starts to slowly drip over time onto the floor.
Old 01-04-09, 01:31 PM
LexFather

When I recommend a Benz, I totally tell that person to EXPECT problems. Its funny how many people are still oblivious to it. This story is nowhere unusual so I didn't raise an eyebrow.

Old 01-04-09, 02:43 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what i like about this story is, german car owners love their first 1-2 years.
they'll act like they have the best thing ever.

then year 3 hits...

I'm still too chickenshit to own a german car. maybe some day......
Old 01-04-09, 03:35 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Is that PS or Oil? If oil, do you have any idea where it's coming from?
Old 01-04-09, 04:51 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

oil leak on MB S class? No Wai !

Quick Reply: 2007 Mecedes S550