Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TEST Drives ....Night/Day

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 08:38 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One thing I don't understand is this preoccupation with orange/red lighting on "sport" oriented vehicles. Audi, Mazda, BMW, and Pontiac, for example, have long used red-orange lighting on most, if not all of their models. Supposedly, it's easler on the eyes at night than other colors, but I'm not convinced. When I was a pilot flying general-aviation planes, they also taught us in flying school that red instrumentation lights were also easier on the eyes than white...but again I was not convinced. A number of the planes I flew had a switch that allowed you to choose either red or white......almost without exception, I found white dash lights, even in aircraft, easier to see and read at night than red or orange (in aircraft, you also train for emergencies when you lose your electric power and have to read the instruments by a flashlight sitting in your lap, or, in some cases, with no light at all).

So, my take on it is that auto companies just consider red dash lights to be "sporty" and use it as an image factor.
Interesting you note the "red v. white". VW has replaced their lighting with solid white lighting for both the gauges and console area. The CC and Golf 6 don't have the signature red/purple funk lighting, which is a little sad, but definitely looks more "mature" and "elegant". Honda transitioned to orange lighting on their Accord in 2003, but sadly the orange gauges are almost obnoxious to look at at night, lacking the sophisticated lighting tint of BMWs orange. My old 2002 Accord has atrocious looking snot green lighting which is terrible at night. I find the blue gauges and purple/red controls on the VW to be much easier on the eyes and is another example of them being ahead of the curve. I don't think it's "sporty" persay, just easier on the eyes at night than filthy green lighting. I agree white looks best, though