Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What will you do regarding your modded car or future modded car?
I will mod my next car, I don't mind the daily worry.
20.00%
I will not mod my next car, the car is just a tool for me.
20.80%
I will continue to mod my current car and will always be modding cars.
40.00%
I haven't modded nor will I mod my car - I browse CL for the TLN entertainment.
19.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Driving a stock car vs modded car. I think I'm keeping my next car stock.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 06:25 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
Most stocks wheels are too ugly I think and most stock suspensions are too soft for me.
Take the IS F for a test drive...that may change your mind.
Old 01-05-09, 06:28 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Tell me about it. All the hobbies I've had are expensive. I collected jewelry for a while. I tried coin collecting. I had a sunglass collection habit until I started wearing glasses last year....high end sunglasses. Why can't I find a cheaper hobby?
Someone brought up age. I'm 50 and I will always change wheels. I may start sticking to 19's but I will change wheels. I just can't stand having a car that looks the same as everyone else who buys that car. I love music too so I'll always beef up the sounds. Now it's conservative...just one amp and one sub.
i agree, at least wheels and some low end for the music. i'm also past needing 4+ subs and all that, one good 12" and about 600 watts works just fine.
Old 01-05-09, 09:01 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to get the bassics done to my car's when aplicable. i.e intake exhaust pulleys software (when aplicable). tints drop lip kit nice wheels and a sound system.
Old 01-05-09, 12:42 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im right there with you cliff im 18. I went away for 2weeks not driving my gs and before I left I ordered coilovers and I honestly dont even want to mod my gs anymore , I want to save the money for a stock car that I dont have to mod.
Coilovers are suppose to be here tomorrow lol
Old 09-24-13, 08:17 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

What a timeless topic. I have had my 99 GS300 for 10 years, and I have not modified it. I'm still on stock wheels, stock height, stock sounds, stock engine, etc. I still love the vehicle. I've done many DIY from being here. I thought about a mild drop, but then I've heard stories. I just can't justified rolling to a business meeting or dinner date with my ride all hella flush, VIP, etc haha. Its not my style, but to each... I'm more concerned with how my car is running mechanically.

Last edited by wbmx1981; 09-24-13 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-24-13, 01:21 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice 4.5 year thread bump!

But I love this topic as well... I bought my 98 Integra from the original owner and have had it for almost 5 years, and not one mod. Maybe it's because Integras around here get such a bad rep, because kids modify them with cheap parts. I also learned that famous saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I did the suspension in my previous car, a 92 Civic and it wasn't done properly. There was nothing wrong with the OEM suspension. There's also nothing wrong with the Integra's stock suspension... even though the car itself is slow, it's light and handles pretty well. I thought about dropping it and adding strut bars but it's really a waste of money.

My ISF has very light mods (straight piped exhaust for more sound, throttle controller, tints to preserve leather and shield from sun). From what I've noticed, headaches arise from modding. One example is throwing CELs when adding aftermarket headers, another example is fear of bottoming out and ruining a front lip.....especially driving on crappy NYC roads.

Who knows, maybe I will make the Integra my project car in the future, but for now both my cars will be relatively stock.
Old 09-24-13, 01:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Great topic and one I now struggle with. I think I will continue to mod my cars but will start with different starting points like an IS-F or buy mostly OEM Lexus parts like F-sport.

Its just a damn hassle when all is said and done. I will do my best to mod my vehicle the "right way" as we have all witnessed more people mod than before and seen some really questionable things done.

The thought of getting another 3GS and modding it like I've done the 2GS kinda makes me cringe!!

I am also with GFerg that priorities have changed.
Wow I posted that in 08.... We now have F-sports as starting points and everything continues to get modded. I'm most proud that my wife is getting into it and doesn't want her car stock "to look like everyone else".

I will forever love the hassle of modding.

Last edited by LexFather; 09-24-13 at 01:49 PM.

Old 09-24-13, 01:35 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After driving a modded GS that scraped and rubbed on everything, and that I babied endlessly, driving a completely stock Toyota has been pretty damn refreshing.
Old 09-24-13, 03:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have modded my cars less and less as I have gotten older. My G35 was a laboratory for parts. My GS was stock under the hood but had a full suspension from Tein and even had the EDFC box. My LS is rocking just a set of Vossen wheels. The hassle and rare unreliability of my g35 made me stick with suspension only mods in my 3GS. With my LS I had every intention to drop my LS. In fact I was looking for coil overs before I even owned the car, BUT the vibration issue I had for almost 3 years was enough to make me keep it stock because I didnt need anymore issues thatI already had. Now with the Vossens, Michelin PS2, and a good balance frok the Lexus dealership I am rolling as smooth as stock. Too bad it only took 36 months.
Old 09-24-13, 03:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Wow I posted that in 08.... We now have F-sports as starting points and everything continues to get modded. I'm most proud that my wife is getting into it and doesn't want her car stock "to look like everyone else".

I will forever love the hassle of modding.

Mike your GS stable looks amazing
Old 09-24-13, 03:51 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have modded my cars less and less as I have gotten older
This sums it up completely.

I really enjoying modding and its my hobby, but as i get older, my priorities and hobbies will change.
Old 09-24-13, 05:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Maybe small mods in the future like tint or lowering springs. but coincidently I took off the exhaust and set the coils 5 clicks toward comfort today
Old 09-24-13, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
After driving a modded GS that scraped and rubbed on everything, and that I babied endlessly, driving a completely stock Toyota has been pretty damn refreshing.
Probably more comfortable, too.....although, admittedly with more ground-clearance, some of the stock wheels/tires on today's cars ride and handle like some of the drop-mods of just a few years ago.
Old 09-24-13, 06:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Maybe small mods in the future like tint or lowering springs. but coincidently I took off the exhaust and set the coils 5 clicks toward comfort today
Do you find that those clicks actually make much of a difference? Seems like even if those devices can reduce spring-rates or lower shock-fluid damping, once the overall suspension height is lowered and loses part of its available up/down travel, you're going to get a rougher ride (in comparison) no matter what.......especially on larger bumps.
Old 09-24-13, 06:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Do you find that those clicks actually make much of a difference? Seems like even if those devices can reduce spring-rates or lower shock-fluid damping, once the overall suspension height is lowered and loses part of its available up/down travel, you're going to get a rougher ride (in comparison) no matter what.......especially on larger bumps.
I can def feel a difference after having stock, spring/shock, coil and air. This is my second set of BC Racing coils and they ride like a dream to me

Quick Reply: Driving a stock car vs modded car. I think I'm keeping my next car stock.