Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW Honda Accord EX Sedan (Part one of III Japenese Big 3)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-08, 08:41 PM
LexFather

Arrow 1SICKREVIEW Honda Accord EX Sedan (Part one of III Japenese Big 3)

Well after driving the Accord again, I now have driven pretty extensively the big 3 from Japan; Camry, Accord, Altima. I'll start with the Accord and all 3 have IMO some very stiff competition in the Chevy Malibu I reviewed and loved.

Lets be honest here, I am not really impressed with new Hondas and their owners. I am impressed with how they run a business though. I think Honda, I think ricer, fart can, going to slow in the fast lane, double parked, underpowered, overuglied, overglorified, sheep, boring cars. The image kills it for me. The NSX, S2000 and ITR clearly are different. So different are they from a different company? Some would argue yes, back when Honda gave a ****. I am one of them as I was a big Honda fan in the late 80s and the entire 1990s.

So yes, there is a certain bias I have with new Hondas, I can admit to it. I also can admit to not liking cheese on my hamburgers and skinny strippers. Not my thing. So you probably are thinking that I am going to rip this car apart, which in some ways I want to. However, I cannot, b/c the Accord is just too damn good.

I begin this review with a conversation I had with a great co-worker and a co-worker from another department. We were eating lunch and she was stating how she has 220k on her 1993 Accord EX and its time for something new. The bud also had that model Accord and raved about it too.

I'm not saying a thing, just observing when he says "I wish I kept that car because they don't build Hondas like they used to".

He goes onto his newer Honda experiences and how they are okay but give problems. He mentions he lost a transmission in an Accord and in a RL. The young lady responds well she might just keep it jokingly. He leaves and she asks me what do I think of the new Accords? I ask "there is no way I am going to convince you to try anything else huh"? She's like no, she's getting another Honda. Which goes to my point of how their retention is so high. People just buy them and stick with them no questions asked. More power to Honda.

So I explain I think its a great car, its really much bigger now than your current Accord. I don't go into any specs as she doesn't care. She just wants a new Accord.

Well luckily another co-worker has a loaded new Accord. Loaded to the gills, NAV, leather, etc. So I tell her "lets go check it out first hand". I get the keys and time for a spin.

This is not my first time in an Accord. You walk up to it and the closer you get, you realize just how big this thing is. Its as big as a new TL/RL (Another FU from Honda to Acura) and fit and finish to my eyes is superb. I have gotten used to its looks for a number of reasons. One of them is after seeing things like the X6 in person, everything looks better. The other is after seeing the new TL/RL/TSX in person, your realize that the Accord is FAR more cohesive and better looking. The huge crease in the side is clearly taken from the last gen TL. The rear tails are nearly identical to the RL. The paint finish is superb. The headlights are nice and clear and the chrome grill and window trim look very nice.

It LOOKS like an Acura or how an Acura SHOULD look. I do get the impression it looks more expensive than it is. Think ES 330/350.

You open the doors and they open nicely and the interior is IMO very well done and very familar. Looks like any Honda/Acura the last few years. There are a LOT of buttons but to the eyes, this is a nice place to be. This Accord had the black leather with the silver/aluminum whatever trim. Seemed sporty and again, could be any Acura today or yesterday. Kudos to Honda for still giving the Accord a proper handbrake The leather was fine and it could have came out an Acura. I didn't use the NAV but the radio and had no issues. The sound system seemed more than adequate (didn't have my CDs to play though).

You start her up and its muted. You realize how much room this vehicle has as it dwarfs the lady passenger. This is not a vehicle I am going to put through its paces, even if I had the Nurburgring right in front of me. I don't feel that way in this car. I feel like relaxing and cruising and cutting someone off and use no signal (a Honda pastime). Japanese Ford Taurus the Altima/Camry/Accord have become.

You get a nice push back into the seat with the V-6. This engine gets 19 City and 29 HWY. A feeble 201 hp TSX with a ridiculous I-4 only gets nearly identical gas mileage! This engine makes 271hp, more than enough for anyone and curb weight is around 3600lbs, not to bad considering its size.

Handling is fine. Again, I didn't push it though the corner trying to get the tires screeching. Its a damn 194" inch Accord for crying out loud. In and around traffic and taking corners it was fine. The steering felt a little light but I find most cars to be that way, especially this class. Nowhere near a deal breaker. I could see fine out the windows as well, though the curving C-pillar doesn't need to curve so much to me. It simply met expectations. Car and Driver can smile now.

The 5 speed transmission felt fine, not jerky at all and was smooth. The couple times I punched it it dropped down immediately. Did not feel course at all. I hope it holds up over time. The co-worker kept commenting "wow this is so much faster than my Accord".

I touch and feel the plastics and fit and finish inside and its fine to me. It really seems like an "Acura" and not an Accord. The Camry/Altima/Malibu clearly are a step below the ES/G35+new Maxima/CTS. The Accord is basically on par with Acura. Its really quite the feel good car for a non luxury brand. Honda continues to have some GREAT big gauges for blind people to see. Ironic b/c these owners must totally ignore how current Hondas look.

The trunk as 14 cubes of space, again on par with the TL/RL.

We park and she is like "I love it" and well Honda will have another loyal customer back.

Its funny but when I drove the Malibu, I "read" about it and it was CLEAR this car totally exceeded and blew past my expectations. Well its amazing that I KNOW the Accord is a fine car and in some regards the "Standard" of this class and I walked away again, just as impressed. Honda continues to raise their own bar with the Accord. It really is that good and for all intents and purposes is ALL the car you need especially if you are a Honda/Acura fan. Its also so good, it makes the entire Acura lineup redundant.
1. The Accord is as big as anything they offer.
2. The Accord is just as efficient than their I-4 model and more than their V-6 models. It also is just as fast.
3. The Accord interior loses pretty much nothing to an Acura.
4. The Accord exterior IMO looks better
5. Fit and Finish is on par with Acuras.

I walked away from the Accord thinking "now I see why Accord owners make their remarks about Acura". There are minimal reasons to buy one IMO over the Accord.

If you haven't driven an Accord and you or someone you know is in the market for a family sedan, they really have to check it out.

Its that damn good.
Now where do I fill out my application to Car and Driver.

Great work Honda!!! It took you 30 years to continuously find out what Americans want. In that time GM/Ford/Chrysler couldn't figure out the same equation.

Old 12-15-08, 08:46 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Accord never lose....except on the racetrack
Old 12-15-08, 08:49 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Accord styling is growing on me slowly and after seeing the new TL it certainly makes the Accord easier to the eyes than it used to be.

As a former Accord owner myself (1997) the current one is getting too big for my liking, I think the 5th generation (1998-2002) has got the perfect size.
Old 12-15-08, 08:50 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1SICK, after driving the 8th generation Accord, I was not immediately impressed from the prior car, which I own. The interior is actually cheaper (the door handles are no longer metal, bizzare), and the exterior panels look a litlte cheap as well, big gaps between the trunk and the rest of the body. The interior in no way stands up to a Lexus or even VW, in my opinion. It may seem like an Acura becuase Acuras are relatively chintzy inside to begin with. (see the new TL or TSX, downgrade city). Also, the fully unlined trunk needs to be corrected, as does the struts that intrude into the cargo bay - it's just cheap and unrefined imo. So too on the use of a hood strut for all base models - cheap.

1SICK, I'd love for you to go drive the car that all of the product designers in this class have always tried to enmulate - the Volkswagen Passat. It may not be the biggest volume seller here, but it is a critical part of the European range, and has always set class standards for packaging and driving. I'd love to see what you think of the car, espcially the base 2.0t powerplant. For a car so shamlessly copied by competitors, it deserves to be included in your little round'emup.
Old 12-15-08, 09:09 PM
LexFather

FKL, the Passat has always intrigued me. I haven't driven one, just been inside and checked it out. I don't think I know anyone with one . I prefer my drives either to be in someone elses car or a loaner of some sort.

I'll see what I can do.

Old 12-15-08, 09:22 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

It's just little thoughtfull touches like this that make all the difference.

Old 12-15-08, 10:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

the accords are great cars for the streets. Class leading design, featurs, and power. Honda is awesome. I saw a 2 door accord at the LA auto show rolling on 22's. It looked like a slammed race car. I couldnt beleivev they got 22'son an accord and it looked good as well
Old 12-16-08, 04:02 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Nice review... I was torn between the Sonata and V-6 EX when I replaced my IS, the $6K I saved was the difference as Honda wouldn't budge on pricing.

CLASSIC: "I feel like relaxing and cruising and cutting someone off and use no signal (a Honda pastime)"
Old 12-16-08, 05:04 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kudos, 1Sick, on a great Honda review! It's nice to hear some decent comments about Honda coming from you. Maybe now you might have a better perspective of why Honda *is* where they are today and why their owners are so loyal. Just like you, though, I think Acura needs some serious help in the styling department. Anyway, great writeup.
Old 12-16-08, 05:16 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Lets be honest here, I am not really impressed with new Hondas and their owners
how long have you known me? come on dude, thats low...

I bought mine for 3 reasons, Fuel Economy, Longevity and (what i think are) kickass looks. Its an auto, its not going anywhere quickly.
Old 12-16-08, 05:57 AM
Roid Rage
Driver School Candidate

I like your review. very different from the usual reviews in magazines, and quite funny coming from you who is known on this board to be sort of an anti-honda/acura kind of person. when I saw the thread title 1SICKLEX review of the honda accord, I thought:" oh oh he is going to rip honda a new one". As a past honda fan(and still am, although not so much lately), I am pleasantly surprised that you like the new accord
Old 12-16-08, 06:37 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda is good. You right , a loyal following ensures success.
But boring it can be! Honda is for the wife.
Old 12-16-08, 06:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Roid Rage
I like your review. very different from the usual reviews in magazines, and quite funny coming from you who is known on this board to be sort of an anti-honda/acura kind of person. when I saw the thread title 1SICKLEX review of the honda accord, I thought:" oh oh he is going to rip honda a new one". As a past honda fan(and still am, although not so much lately), I am pleasantly surprised that you like the new accord
Hey I wasn't posting while intoxicated either Its amazing b/c I "knew" it was a great vehicle and it still managed to kind of "wow" me with just how well it did everything.

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Kudos, 1Sick, on a great Honda review! It's nice to hear some decent comments about Honda coming from you. Maybe now you might have a better perspective of why Honda *is* where they are today and why their owners are so loyal. Just like you, though, I think Acura needs some serious help in the styling department. Anyway, great writeup.
Thanks. Again I know Honda makes quite competant vehicles, I've never owned one, stopped lusting after most of them after the 1990s and my family amazingly has never owned one.

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
how long have you known me? come on dude, thats low...

I bought mine for 3 reasons, Fuel Economy, Longevity and (what i think are) kickass looks. Its an auto, its not going anywhere quickly.
You are the 5% exception.

Old 12-16-08, 07:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Praise from Caesar.

Honda knows what it's doing in this segment. And to me the Accord interior blows away the Camry. The looks of the Camry have grown on my but I liked the new Accord from day one, esp. from the back and the side. I think the coupe looks great too.

FKL is right that the Passat is a great competitor to look at. Friend has one - very nice, the 2.0 turbo is an incredible engine.

The Passat interior, while looking more upscale than most family sedans, is quite cold to me though, hard, flat. But still nice. Seats are great.

I do wonder though, how a loaded Accord compares price-wise with the V6 Genesis!
Old 12-16-08, 07:22 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

This review looked like it was painful for you to write. I'm impressed you managed to not actually mention the word 'sheep' (I could see you doing everything to depict your coworker as one though lol)

As for me, the styling of the sedan is just not quite there yet. It's a pedestrian vehicle, not an eye catching vehicle. The coupe is much better. There's a lot of potential for them to improve upon this design though. I'm not a big fan of any honda/acura grill lately.

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW Honda Accord EX Sedan (Part one of III Japenese Big 3)