Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW Honda Accord EX Sedan (Part one of III Japenese Big 3)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 08:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks, Mike. Nice write-up. (you and I are starting to use some of the same phrases )

If the steering seemed light to you on the EX sedan, I think you would find it more to your liking on the EX-L V6 coupe (which I reviewed last January). It was definitely firm and BMW-like, though, of course, FWD and missing some of the fine BMW tactile sensitivity.

I agree with you that the early 90's Accord, for overall build quality, was the best one ever done....up to 1994-95, though the steering, back then, was overly-feathery and the automatic transmission, like other Hondas, somewhat rough-shifting. Subsequent models, like the rival Camry after 1996, got into cost-cutting and lightening up on some of the materials; also, IMO, geekier styling.

Still, it's hard to beat an Accord today, in the mid-sized family-sedan class, for overall build qualty....especially the hardware and how smoothly buttons, controls, etc....work and the quality of the paint job (only the Camry still equals it in paint quality). But the Camry now falls well below the Accord in interior quality.

Since you may be getting ready to look at a Passat, I have to clue you in beforehand..........though its road manners are nice, I don't think you will like the new interior, especially the dash. The plastic trim, especially, is loose, somewhat flimsy, and not well-attached, and there are other strong signs of cost-cutting....you'll see. But on the road, it is still a nice-performing VW.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-16-08 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-16-08, 09:10 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up 1Sick, Thanks for sharing

Sounds like the Accord is still a solid car, and that's a good thing for sure. Hopefully the next generation will offer SH-AWD but I'm not holding my breathe.

As for Honda loyalty my mom was one of them. She had a 1980 Accord, then a 1996 Accord that she just sold. She was looking for a new one, when she came across an '02 LS. Funny thing is it still took her over a week to make up her mind Yes she got the LS
Old 12-16-08, 09:29 AM
lex-phil
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review, Sick. Fun to read, and similar to Clarkson's style (only with more substance). I haven't been in the new accord yet, but I'm convinced that its that good.
Old 12-16-08, 03:40 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a very good review.

To me, a little exterior design glitch (subjectively) will stop me from buying a car. The 4-door Accord is simply not my soup but the 2-door is much better. Same to the last gen Accord before the mid-term butt redesign. However, it does not change the fact that Accord is an excellent car since I bought it for my mom.
Old 12-16-08, 04:59 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Still, it's hard to beat an Accord today, in the mid-sized family-sedan class, for overall build qualty....especially the hardware and how smoothly buttons, controls, etc....work and the quality of the paint job (only the Camry still equals it in paint quality). But the Camry now falls well below the Accord in interior quality.

Since you may be getting ready to look at a Passat, I have to clue you in beforehand..........though its road manners are nice, I don't think you will like the new interior, especially the dash. The plastic trim, especially, is loose, somewhat flimsy, and not well-attached, and there are other strong signs of cost-cutting....you'll see. But on the road, it is still a nice-performing VW.
I don't know. While it's definitely a downgrade from the Audi-grade materials in the previous car, it still seems decisively more upscale than it's immediate competition. You can take the panel that overhangs the gauges and squeeze it between your hands - it's soft and will give - very, very high quality. Just for comparisons sake, the Honda I have has exposed screwheads, and hard, unfinished plastics everywhere you look. And I have to take up your notion of the Hondas always having great button actuation, becuase my 2004 Accord creaks when I use the climate and navigation controls - again, cheap. The 8th gen got worse and if you visit Honda forums you'll find users complaining of mis-matched interior panels and generally cheaper construction. Again, I still think the Passat is higher grade. Plus it has many extra touches the Japanese competition doesn't have, including an umbrella drain/holder in the drivers door, dual overhead LED night lighting, standard LED puddle lighting and turn signals in the mirrors, a full double trip computer (which displays RDS/radio information), a racheting armrest and cooled glovebox just to name a few. There's many more standards on the drivetrain front (electronic parking brake, Direct Injection turbo, and safety (available side rear airbags -only car in segment). There's a reason its so costly but it's a very refined car. Just compare the way the trunk is finished to this Accord. No comparison. The general impression I get is that they spent more time thinking everything through, which is what the Germans are always great at (not creating a car that's cheap to own, though).

Last edited by FKL; 12-16-08 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 05:20 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Mike, thanks for that review! There is one area where the Acura still comes out on top, and that is Navigation. My buddy and I went and drove a new Accord, and then a 2 year old TL Type-S. Now being a "previous generation" model, the TL's Nav stood out to us as being much better than the 2008 Accord's. I imagine the new TL, in all of its butt-ugliness, continues to have the superb Acura nav. In my opinion, Acura has the best Nav in the industry.
Old 12-16-08, 05:31 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

That they do. It's simple, efficient, and can accept all types of voice commands. Easily best in class, in my opinion. Love the woman who talks back to me too.