Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

D2AUTOSPORT Project Camry??? Pics+Vid

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-08, 07:27 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stefwilli
Truck I am going to try that, should I make a post in NELOC asking some one local to brooklyn to take pics for me?
Well,, you could do that, or just go over some of the past Neloc meets (Ross Docks) and see who, in our opinion, takes some exceptional pics and just drop them a pm. Might be easier that way.
Old 12-13-08, 08:08 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you did an admirable job on the car. It looks better than a stock one. I guess I am not as critical of a staggered setup on a FWD. Other than car enthusiasts, I doubt many people know or care whether or not their car is RWD or FWD.

Functionally, I agree it is not ideal. Most of us buy wheels with the deep lips and flushed fitment without really considering the RWD. That is just a great look, so I don't fault the owner for wanting that look. I know it irks most of you guys just to think about it but it does not bother me. Would I do it on my car? I doubt it but I can't be sure. The cars I mod are RWD so I have not had to face that decision yet.

Everyone's taste and budget is different. If he owner is happy, it's all good for me.
Old 12-13-08, 08:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

decent but I wouldnt look twice if I was on the street. I think 20's and a different color for the car would set it off. At least the 20's
Old 12-13-08, 08:34 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as far as 8speed's comment on a modifying a family sedan... i'm all for getting a performance vehicle for intentions of actual track/drag/etc use and family sedans for it's use. but for some, it's just a treat to know they can take a cammry, IS, or golf and turn it into a lot more than it's bare intentions. some just like the idea of being outside the "box" with their vehicles...

besides staggered wheel setups have been around for a while...VW/Audi's have been doing them for a while, and IMO it's a nice style once done correctly

Old 12-13-08, 08:54 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
. People have to understand everyone starts somewhere.
And in all honesty that was our entire reason for even posting the car. We are well aware of the fact that the project cars that we have been doing for the last few years can tend to alienate some people.

I have actually had people tell me "oh I only drive a xxx car, not Lambo or Bentley so you guys don't have anything for me!"

We like to mod all types of cars, with our 'style', regardless of price and thats the reason for this Camry. The owner is a 23year old kid with a 1year old so money is TIGHT, I'm sure many of you can identify with having a tight budget in this current financial climate. I have to be honest too, I really do like the way the car looks, 675.00 dollar wheels and all

Obviously its not supposed to have the same impact as a 70k Lexus, but I also don't feel the need to make excuses for it.

Its just funny because we get it for posting the wheels that are too expensive. Then when we post something affordable, its judged and criticized for not being as nice as the expensive stuff.

Last edited by Stefwilli; 12-13-08 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-13-08, 09:01 PM
LexFather

baddie es
There is no reason to put staggered on FWD with the rear wheels staggered besides saying "I wish my car was a real RWD car". There is NO FUNCTIONALITY to it. None.

If you want staggered on FWD, do it for a purpose. For instance the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP had staggered up front to handle the extra power the car had.

Leave staggered to RWD or AWD cars. There is nothing wrong with doing IT RIGHT and putting the same size all around on a FWD car like it should.

That Tl, VW and especially the G20 looks ridiculous. The Audi might be AWD.

Like NEO said if the owners are happy, fine, so be it. Just don't expect knowledgeable enthusiasts to agree with the clueless public and say "Wow neat". I already said IMO, I think this Camry is well done and it was a nice choice/design of wheels.

We all know if you post on the internet, you are fair game.

Finally, I am CERTAIN D2 told the owner what I have stated. That is how they run their business, they don't just sell you anything. D2 gives advice on what is right and wrong. I am sure they said "hey, this is not what we support and its not right" but the buyer said "thanks but I want to do it anyway". I've seen them give plenty of great advice where it might risk a sale.

I (we) have surely seen where a wheel company sells whatever to whoever for whatever price.

Old 12-13-08, 10:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am sure any mods are fine for any cars -- as long as the owner is happy

but at the same time, that doesn't stop me from my comments and reasons. staggered on fwd, that's just like big brakes caliper covers on stock brakes. it doesn't hurt, but it looks silly imho. a lot of people have done it don't make it right

but again, i think the car is cool. of all the generations of camry's, this is probably the sportiest and most suitable one to mod
Old 12-13-08, 10:24 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys are being way to critical bout this post

Car looks clean, not a big fan of the wheels but its something different. Obviously it wasn't meant for purpose just for the look theres nothing wrong with that.

Old 12-14-08, 06:13 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I mean really,, this thread is turning into a bunch of people bashing what the OWNER chose to do with HIS car. We all know that a staggered setup on a FWD car has really no function at all, so live with it and move on. Bottom line it is not ur car. This Camry is still very nice loking for what it is. EVERYONE of us has has to start SOMEWHERE,and for this to be someone's start,,,,I applaud the effort. The "out of the box' approach is a winner.

Stef,, you don't have to defend this car anymore than what you already have. It is another good project from D2!! Not exactly the wheels I would have chosen myself for the car, but it still flows well. As I suggested earlier, get the owner to at least paint the calipers, b/c the plain look is ruining the look thru the wheels. Better pics of the car should be taken as well. That's it.

I am surprised that you guys can't see the message that D2 is trying to convey here with this car. How many times have you gone onto their site and seen NOTHING but high end cars (Mercedes, Lexus, Bentley,Ferrari, Aston Marfin, etc). Sometimes their site can be quite intimidating, knowing the caliber of car that I know they are used to dealing with, and with me only having a FIRST GEN LS, even I sometimes feel that my car is not good enuff to brandish their products. Is nonsense, I know, but this is how I feel looking at their site sometime. D2 is actually recognizing that there are many who feel the same way that I do, and are trying to broaden their image to let people know that even though they DO supply equipment to the high end market, they HAVE NOT forgotten where they have come from; you dont have to have a high end vehicle to be a customer of theirs. I know for a fact that when they got started in the grass roots of their business, that they were not modding Ferrari's right off the back.

Stef,, along with the high end at the shows, you may want to consider some more of the average people movers (modded) as well. This will continue to improve/expand your customer client base, as well as continue to convey the message here.
I say the next project should be a modded, Wald fitted Honda Odyssey.

Last edited by trukn1; 12-14-08 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-14-08, 07:02 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
baddie es
There is no reason to put staggered on FWD with the rear wheels staggered besides saying "I wish my car was a real RWD car". There is NO FUNCTIONALITY to it. None.

If you want staggered on FWD, do it for a purpose. For instance the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP had staggered up front to handle the extra power the car had.

Leave staggered to RWD or AWD cars. There is nothing wrong with doing IT RIGHT and putting the same size all around on a FWD car like it should.

Like NEO said if the owners are happy, fine, so be it. Just don't expect knowledgeable enthusiasts to agree with the clueless public and say "Wow neat". I already said IMO, I think this Camry is well done and it was a nice choice/design of wheels.

Finally, I am CERTAIN D2 told the owner what I have stated. That is how they run their business, they don't just sell you anything. D2 gives advice on what is right and wrong. I am sure they said "hey, this is not what we support and its not right" but the buyer said "thanks but I want to do it anyway". I've seen them give plenty of great advice where it might risk a sale.

I (we) have surely seen where a wheel company sells whatever to whoever for whatever price.

noted...my point was meant cosmetically, i don't attest to using the correct setup when your actually using the vehicle for track purposes.

but if it's your everyday driver, IMO a staggered setup is A-OK!
Old 12-14-08, 07:21 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I read all the negative comments and I still like it.
Old 12-14-08, 08:12 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
baddie es

I agree, those were IMO the worst examples of cars with staggered wheels and they actually help prove my disdain for running that setup on FWD cars. The bbs wheels on the VW are the ugliest spoke style in the world and the Audi is AWD

A for effort.......D- for appearance, but I do applaud D2 for going "outside" the box and trying something different. Sometimes different is good just because it's different.
Old 12-14-08, 03:14 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stefwilli
And in all honesty that was our entire reason for even posting the car. We are well aware of the fact that the project cars that we have been doing for the last few years can tend to alienate some people.

I have actually had people tell me "oh I only drive a xxx car, not Lambo or Bentley so you guys don't have anything for me!"

We like to mod all types of cars, with our 'style', regardless of price and thats the reason for this Camry. The owner is a 23year old kid with a 1year old so money is TIGHT, I'm sure many of you can identify with having a tight budget in this current financial climate. I have to be honest too, I really do like the way the car looks, 675.00 dollar wheels and all

Obviously its not supposed to have the same impact as a 70k Lexus, but I also don't feel the need to make excuses for it.

Its just funny because we get it for posting the wheels that are too expensive. Then when we post something affordable, its judged and criticized for not being as nice as the expensive stuff.
I for one, support the effort.
Cars don't have to be Lexus to be nicely modded.
Wheels don't have to cost big bucks to look good.
Again, I like the car and would drive it regardless of my financial situation.