Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008-2009 Volvo XC70 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-08, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2008-2009 Volvo XC70 3.2

By CL member request, a review of the 2009 (2008) Volvo XC70.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/models/x...s/default.aspx

In a Nutshell: A more expensive, Nordic, Subaru Outback with a lot of safety features.

(Beige leather interior shown)

I have a pending request to review either the Volvo XC70 or XC90, and decided to do that today (after a several-day rest from the multiple reviews I did last week). For most ordinary day-to-day driving, I think the XC70, in general, makes more sense. It is smaller, less expensive, and better-suited to everyday driving than the XC90, though the XC90, admittedly, would be slightly better in off-road conditions with its slightly higher ground clearance (It is not designed for hard-core off-road stuff like Trail-Rated Jeeps and Land Rovers). Both vehicles, of course, have the reknowned Volvo safety features...the XC90 was the first vehicle to pioneer the Active Roll Control, which not only controls the understeer/oversteer yaw and cornering response like other stability systems but body-roll as well, which can be dangerous in high-center-of-gravity SUVs. Ford, since, as Volvo's owner, has grafted this feature onto some of its own SUV's, as well as Volvo's Haldex AWD system onto some of its sedans.

So, for those reasons, and for the purposes of this review, I'm going to concentrate on the XC70. The XC designation, of course, stands for Cross-Country, which, in Volvospeak, like Audi's former All-Road, means a car-based vehicle (or SUV) that has fairly high ground clearance, good traction on poor surfaces, and a limited amount of off-road capability (here, of course, the higher-stance XC90 will have an advantage over the somewhat lower-stance XC70. But it should also be noted, for those concerned with reliability, that the XC70 has done MUCH better than the XC90 in reliablity.........according to Consumer Reports (IMO the most trustworthy source), the XC70 has been above average, while the XC90 has ben well below average. The XC90 also has a V8 option which may increase gas consumption; the XC70 only an in-line 6.

In the American market, two versions of the XC70 are offered....a base model and a turbo T6. The base version comes with a 3.2L in-line 6 with 235 HP; the T6 model with a slightly smaller, turbo 3.0L in-line 6 (though its displacement, from the math I did, is actually between 2.8 and 2.9L, not 3.0...Volvo, in a throwback to the past, gives the displacement on the American-market web site as cubic inches, not liters). The only transmission offered in the U.S. is a 6-speed Sport-shift Geartronic automatic. The base version starts at $37,500 (with freight) and the turbo at $39,500....for those who want more power and don't mind using premium gas, the relatively small difference in price over the base model may make the turbo version a relatively good deal. I, however, chose a base, non-turbo model for the review, with few options......my guess is that more people, with this type of vehicle, would be more interested in all-around utility and keeping prices down than with power or performance. Gas prices are low right now ($1.70 or so in my neighborhood for 87 octane), but there is no guarantee that they won't shoot up again; especially for premium gas. Fortunately, for those who do choose the turbo version, it can burn regular, but the computer will retard the spark and give up a small amount of power and/or mileage.

The XC70 is basically a slightly raised V70 wagon with different suspension and tires. In this, it is much like, and competes with, to some extent, the Subaru Outback (a raised Legacy wagon), the Ford Taurus X (soon to be dropped), a raised Ford Five Hundred/Taurus wagon with different interior trim, and the late Audi All-Roads, raised versions of the A4/A6 Avant wagons. It is, however, somewhat more expensive than the Subaru outback and Taurus X, being derived, like the Audi All-roads, from an upmarket nameplate (Outbacks run from the low 20's up to about 35K...the Taurus X slightly more). It is a nice all-around vehicle for general day-to-day driving in all-weather conditons, as long as you stay on pavement, which most people today do, of course. But, I'm not sure it is a better dollar-for-dollar buy than the Outback (I'm being totally objective here, despite the fact that I own an Outback and may have some inward bias)...I'll deal with that subject more, below, in the VERDICT section.

So, on with the review.

Model Reviewed: 2009 (2008) Volvo XC70.

(I had intended to review a 2009, but almost none were available, so I reviewed a leftover 2008. It is the same car, with almost no
significant changes for 2009 except one added paint color)

Base Price: $36,775 (will increase to $37,250 for 2009)

Major Options:

Climate Package: $875

Destination/Freight: $745 (will increase to $825 for 2009)

List price as reviewed: $38,395

Drivetrain: Haldex AWD, 3.2L transversely-mounted in-line 6, 235 HP @ 6200 RPM, Torque, 236 Ft-lbs. @ 3200 RPM,
6-speed Geartronic automatic transmission with Sport-shift.

EPA Mileage Rating: 15 City, 23 Highway

Exterior Color: Ice White

Interior: Off-Black Leather with fabric center-seat inserts and Dark Fineline wood trim.

PLUSSES:

Traditional Volvo crashworthiness and safety features.

Volvo 3/36 Free Maintenance feature new for 2009.

Good wind noise isolation.

Adequate, but not strong engine power (base version).

Smooth-shifting Geartronic transmission.

Good ride comfort on smoother surfaces.

Seamless Haldex AWD system on dry pavement.
(on slick surfaces, that may not be the case...I did not have the chance to find out)

Good steeering feel for a Volvo product.

Convienent, built-in rear child seats available.

Blind-Spot warning feature available.

Superb stereo sound.

Simple, easy-to-use stereo and climate controls.

Well-finished cargo area.

Nice interior leather on outer seat panels.

Excellent paint job.

Strong, solid exterior body sheet metal and doors.

Solid-closing doors.

Good, solid exterior hardware/trim.

Outside mirrors have integrated turn signals.

Tank-solid interior hardware/trim (except for flimsy steering-column stalks and weak-feeling shift lever).

Adequate head/legroom front and rear for reasonable-size adults.

Good cabin heater.

Good outward visibility.

Nice vehicle-surround black lower body cladding protects against road debris.

Fairly good ground clearance for snow, mud, and minor trails (not as much as XC90).

Fairly handsome alloy wheels.

MINUSES:

Complex AWD system from transverse-mounted engine.

Somewhat noisy exhaust.

So-so brakes.

Marked body lean in corners.

Fairly slow steering response (but good steering feel)

Slightly choppy ride over bumps.

Temporary spare tire not suitable for this class of car.

Poor layout underhood.

Typical European extra cost for metallic paint.

Dull paint colors.

Flimsy plastic turn-signal/cruise control stalks typical of some European cars.

Engine START/STOP button requires electronic key insertion first, like some BMW's....an unnecessary step.

Somewhat awkward-feeling front headrests.

Floating-needle dash gauges, IMO, not as eye-friendly as full-needles.

Shift-lever feel could be improved.

Schoolteacher/Librarian image of the vehicle somewhat unfair and unwarranted.

Doesn't do a lot more (outside of safety features) than Subaru Outback and Ford Taurus X, but costs more.

4/50 drivetrain warranty unacceptable compared to American/Asian competitors.

EXTERIOR:

Walking up to this vehicle, there is no mistaking it for anything other than a Volvo. It looks like exactly what it is....a typical-Volvo V70 wagon jacked up a little on stilts for an 8.2" ground clearance (the ground clearance is plenty for anything reasonable you will want to drive through, short of an extreme blizzard). The relatively high ground clearance, of course, also helps to easily get a hose under it for routine cleaning and hosing off the undercarriage. All of the styling, front and rear, is taken right off of the standard V70 wagon (and the V70 itself
looks pretty much like other Volvo products, especially in the front end). One thing, however, does visually set the XC70 off from its more pedestrian V70 wagon cousin.....the black lower-body cladding that surrounds the entire vehicle below the lower-belt line. It not only protects the entire bottom-part of the vehicle from salt, pebbles, abrasives, road debris, etc.....but I also like the way it looks as well. It also covers the inside and under-lips of the wheel-wells, too (like on my Outback), so that they are protected from harm and corrosion. Despite the slightly aero-look front end (as I mentioned, the same as other Volvos), the car has a classic, conservative look, although some may find the way the taillights are mounted up the sides of the liftback a little awkward-looking. I'm aware that the XC70, like many Volvos, has a staid, schoolmarm/librarian image and reputation, but I disagree. Though it is obviously no sports car, I don't see any reason why this car cannot appeal to a fairly wide range of people. And it doesn't have the in-your-face, circus-clown grilles of some of its rivals from Audi and Acura...the grille is a tastefully-done, moderately-sized squarish oval/trapezoid.

The outside sheet metal, as befits a Volvo, is well-done and rock-solid, as is the exterior hardware and trim. Doors and liftback close with an almost bank-vault solidness; the hood, nearly as much so. The generally well-done and durable side mirrors/housings slide and swivel easily to their stops. They each incorporate a turn-signal indicator (this was a feature originally introduced by Mercedes, Volvo's chief rival for supremacy in the auto-safety field, and it didn't take Volvo long to adapt it to all of its own models). The solidly-mounted roof rack, on top, feels like it could hold a ton, but care, of course, must be taken loading up the roof of higher-than-normal center of gravity vehicles....it can make them unstable. The smoothness of the paint job is excellent, with no detectable orange peel that I could see on my white test car, though white, of course, is not one of the more glossy colors. Volvo, unfortunately offers only two colors on the XC70 that are not extra cost...white and black. The others are all extra-cost metallics (and dull ones at that), that, IMO, do a better job of advertising Murphy's Funeral Home than the car itself. The six-spoke alloy wheels (just like on my Outback) are relatively handsome and good-looking, but, IMO, not quite as much so as classic 5-spoke mag-types. They have nice, high-profile, 65-series, all-season tires (One of the banes and most annoying things of today's auto industry is that not many regular passenger cars have relatively high-profile rubber like this any more). They provide a nice ride comfort on relatively smooth surfaces, but the typically firm damping of Volvo suspensions lets in a little choppiness on bumpy surfaces....more on that, of course, below.

And, last, of course, the whole exterior is simply the skin on top of what Volvos (and Mercedes) are most noted for.....a world-class unibody frame with a hardened roll-protection cage, and specially-designed crumple-zones at both ends that absorb impacts, while the center section protects both you and your passengers.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the solid, durable hood (it is steel, but is as easy to lift as aluminum), and it has a nice, fairly thick underhood unsulation pad, which helps with engine noise, but not with the exhaust (more on this below). Two nice gas struts hold the hood up for you.....expected in a car of this class. The general underhood layout is awful.....almost nothing is accessable. The 3.2L, in-line six, one of the auto industry's few transversely-mounted engines of this type (the only others I can think of were the discontinued Daewoo Leganza and the Daewoo-built, FWD Suzuki Verona, which were smaller in-line sixes) fits in very tight, with little or no room to reach anything around the edges of the block. In addition, like with many upmarket cars these days, an enormous plastic engine cover blocks access to everything on top of the engine. Plastic covers also hide the battery (back and to the right) and most of the other underhood hardware, like the computers and ABS system. Dipsticks and a few caps/reserviors are reachable......that's about it.

INTERIOR:

I liked the interior of this non-Nav equipped vehicle very much. Except for a few minor quirks.....I had no major complaints at all. That's right, none. So I'll get the minor complaints out the way right now. The steering-column mounted stalks, like on many other European-designed cars, are flimsy, light-grade plastic. The (apparantly) non-adjustable safety-headrests lean forward at a significant angle, to keep your head/neck close to them and prevent whiplash, but, in some seat positions, and with taller people, can have a rather awkward feel. The circular, standard-Volvo primary gauges, like those of Mercedes, have floating needles, rather than the full-length needles that I find more eye-friendly and easier to read at a glance. And the transmission shifter, while not flabby by any means, and having a nice fore-aft motion rather than the more annoying zig-zag, didn't have quite as slick and solid a feel as I like.

But, friends, that's it. Other than that, IMO, this is close to an ideal car interior. I had no other complaints with it. The interior hardware could serve as a model for the car industry. Outside of the El Cheapo column stalks, Volvo does NOT use lightweight, flimsy stuff inside on this vehicle.....and even the cheap column stalks, at least, are not both mounted on the left side of the column like on some Mercedes, VW, and Audi products, where they can be confusing and mistaken for one another. All of the other interior buttons, controls, switches, latches and hardware are solid and substantial. The leather seat trim had plush, durable-feeling fabric inserts in the middle of the seat to keep you from sliding around on the smooth, slick outer leather surfaces, and that leather, unlike on many other cars today, felt like real leather, not imitation-grade textured "leather". My test car had the off-black interior and dark-grayish Fineline wood trim, but Sandstone Beige and Mocca Brown are also available, along with Cross-brushed aluminum trim or, on the Premium package, Modern Wood trim (that's what Volvo calls it). The seats are comfortable, adjust in a number of ways, and, because of the relatively high-friction fabric inserts, don't need sharp side bolstering.

There is adequate headroom, front and rear, for reasonably tall adults, providing you get the front seat cushions down low....but Shaq ONeill and Michael Jordan would probably be more comfortable in an NBA-grade Escalade or Navigator. Legroom, likewise, is fine up front for most adults, and generally good in back if the front seats are not back all the way. Even with the front seats back, though, small-to-medium size adults are fine in back and have plenty of room....and adults my size (6' 2") are marginally OK. One excellent option that Volvo makes available as part of an option package (I did not have it on my test car, but I checked it out on another XC70) are the built-in child seats (DOT-approved, of course) that are built into the rear seat cushions and easily pull up to set Junior down on and strap him/her strapped in. These are nice for parents.....no more fooling around getting tots and toddlers in and out of awkward aftermarket seats while you have packages, grocery bags, etc... They are well-worth the extra money, IMO, especially since Volvo offers them as a stand-alone option. They are still available on late-model 2008 models; but check with the dealership on a 2009 if you shop, since the literature is unclear if they will be on the 2009's.

The steering wheel is well-shaped, comforatable to hold, and has an excellent smooth-leather-covered rim. Like most wheels these days, it has controls/buttons for stereo/Bluetooth phone functions. The stereo itself is superb....as good or better, IMO, than the Harmon-Kardon unit I wrote up last week in the Audi S5. The bass on this unit will knock you out. The sun visors are nice, firmly attached, and have a nice, soft-plush-grip surface.......this is something that many carmakers are starting to economize on with their new designs. The stereo controls are far simpler than the needlessly complex ones on I-Drive and MMI-type systems. In the XC70, simple, durable, nice-feeling ***** and buttons control all of the basic stereo and climate-control functions. And, speaking of climate control, a bitter-cold morning here in the D.C area (it was 25 degrees when I test-drove it) was a good test for the heated front seats and dual-zone cabin heater, both of which worked quite well. This, of course, is not surprising when you consider that Volvos and Saabs are designed in a country (Sweden) that reaches to the Arctic Circle.

All in all, a class-A interior, with very few complaints. However, I did not cross-check a NAV version...stereo/climate controls are often more complex on NAV-equipped cars, as the controls are usually integrated in the screen-adjustment functions.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Open the tank-solid liftgate, and the cargo area is quite well-finished, with a fairly plush grade of black carpeting covering the floor and walls. Nice metal tie-down hooks (not cheap plastic ones) aid in securing loose cargo. A standard pull-cover keeps prying eyes off of its contents......you would be surprised at the number of wagon-type vehicles today that no longer have one as standard equipment. The relatively high roofline and squared-off rear-end styling not only helps with the cargo area in carrying bulky things, but also, along with narrow C and D-pillars, helps rear visibility as well, Volvo traditionally placing a high premium on outward visibility on most (but not all) of its models as a safety feature. The temporary spare tire (a real one, of course, is expected in this class of car) sits in the usual place.......under the cargo-area floor and an in-between, soft-compartmented, lift-out panel. I forgot (again, darn it) to see if there were remote, trunk-mounted-releases for the rear seatbacks, but the rear seats themselves have rock-solid-feeling hardware/latches inside to fold them down for added cargo area....they fold down virtually flat with the floor.

ON THE ROAD:

The ignition system, IMO, is one of the car's most annoying features. Like BMWs without the Comfort Access System, one must insert a rectangle-shaped, electronic "key" into a dash slot and then, with foot on the brake, push the START/STOP button next to it. Mercedes, for example, has the same rectangular key, but you need only push the key itself. Volvo should, IMO, use that system, but, in the literature, I don't see it listed as an option.....even with the Convienence or Premium Packages.

The 3.2L in-line six starts up and idles smooth and fairly quietly...the in-line-six configration, of course, being a naturally smooth-running set-up to start with. Exhaust noise is low; almost silent at idle, but increases markedly as you accelerate. It is not as noisy as, say, on a sports car or muscle-car, but definitely not Lexus LS460-quiet either. The engine, while not a drag-strip powerhouse, has enough grunt for all normal driving,and, while I was in the car alone, felt like it could handle a reasonable load on grades.

The 6-speed Geartronic transmission is well-designed and shifts smoothly and quietly in either manual or automatic mode, though it lacks the paddle-shifters found on much of its competition. The shifter itself works well, but has a slightly loose, disconnected feel....it's not as silky as, say, the shifters in the new Chevy Malibu or Saturn Aura. One thing I DID like about the shifter (like on the Malibu/Aura) was that it foregoes the annoying ziz=zag pattern for a straight fore/aft motion that is much simpler and more convienent.

The Volvo-designed, Haldex AWD system operated seamlessly under the conditions that I had it (dry pavement). I did not have a chance to try it on slick roads or in off-road conditions, where I have read that it may have a few quirks, so I'll just have to leave that part of it up to other reviewers.

Handling was a mixed bag, with some of the best power-steering feel I've ever experienced on a Volvo, combined with mediocre steering response and a fair amount of body roll (not enough, of course, for the standard VSC Roll-Control stability system to kick in...that only works at extreme angles). The nice, high-profile 65-series tires ride very well on smoother surfaces (more cars today, IMO, should have tires like these, but don't). On smooth highways, this car is a nice cruiser for long trips, though the exhaust, as I said, is a little louder than necessary. On bumps and rutted surfaces though, Volvos, in general, have a reputation for firm damping and a somewhat stiff ride, but the XC70 only showed a little choppiness (perhaps because of the non-aggressive tires). Wind noise was very well-damped...probably a result of the thick, durable sheet metal, good sealing, and door solidness. Tire noise was mostly muted, but a faint amount came in.....not enough to complain about. Brakes had pretty much an instant-pedal, but I wasn't impressed wth the overall response. There was little or no sponginess or dead-pedal travel per se, but response was not linear...you had to give it more and more pedal for any appreciable response. Then, if you really jabbed it, you got some response. Not unsafe, but it could be a little annoying. Fortunately, the gas and brake pedals were well-shaped and placed, to where my big size-15 clown-shoe did not hang up on the pedals shifting from gas to brake....a problem I occasionally experience.

THE VERDICT:

I don't agree with this car's stodgy, schoolteacher/professor/librarian "image". While it is obviously no sports car, and not a vehicle that would test the skills of a Formula-One enthusiast, there is no reason why people of all ages and occupations can't enjoy its versatility, peace of mind safety features, handy built-in child seat (if so equipped), Arctic-grade heating system, smooth, firm steering (by Volvo standards), tank-solid frame/hardware, well-designed interior, convienient controls (non-NAV versions), smooth ride on good surfaces, and, of course, all-weather traction. Volvos do have a well-noted tendency, as they age, to burn out bulbs and have wiring/socket problems, but in general, the repair record of past XC70 models is one of the best of any Volvo....above average, according to Consumer Reports.

Yes, there are a few complaints. The underhood layout is ridiculous. The ignition system needs a one-step, rather than a two-step motion. The turn-signal and cruise stalks need to be something more solid than what comes out of a Cracker-Jack box. And the brakes could use a dose of BMW in them. The handling, while OK and not excessively sluggish, is not a strong point. The extra charge for metallic paint, like on other European-badged cars, is an insult to one's intelligence. And, like other upmarket European cars, the 4/50 drivetrain warranty is unaceptable compared to its American/Asian competition.....Ford, which owns Volvo, puts a better warranty on its entry-level, $15,000 Focus econocar.

But it also begs the question of the XC70's value in relation to other vehicles of this type. The XC70, while not particularly expensive by European premium-brand standards (most of the XC70s I saw listed from 38K to about 42 or 43K...some with big option packages may run a little more), is, nevertheless not a cheap vehicle. Here, the picture is a little mixed. The XC70's roughly 40K price does, of course, give the renowned Volvo safety features.....an important selling point to some buyers. But, outside of that, in actuality, does little more than a Subaru outback or Ford Taurus wagon does for a substantially lower price, notwithstanding the fact that Subaru has some of the best reliability and one of the best AWD systems on the market.....easily the best ones under 35K. And the AWD Ford Taurus X (which, BTW, shares the Volvo-Haldex AWD system with the XC70) offers significantly more room inside than either Outback or XC70, but it clearly lacks both the excellent interior build quality of the Outback and the even better, superb interior build quality of the XC70.

So, when shopping, all these questions......and more.......need to be taken into account. But, of course, that is the nature of car-buying...it can be a whole science in itself. I try, by my reviews, to try and make it a little easier for people when it's time to start making those decisions....and what they will be getting for their money.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-08-08 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-08-08, 09:38 PM
Matters
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mmarshall, thanks for taking the time to do that review for me. I really appreciate it. It was excellent and very helpful. I'm glad you tested the XC70 3.2 as we don't get the T6 XC70 downunder. That is only available in the V70 here.

Your comments will help me when I go back for a second look. I think my Wife and I missed a lot of things in our first test drive.

As for the metallic paint, I could not agree with you more. It's simply price gouging to insist on $1550 for metallic paint.

Your comments about the reliability made me think about getting a slightly used XC70. An XC70 with 9000-10000kms will save me $10k AUD of the already discounted driveway price.

I like the Outback a lot. But I would want to wait for the next generation. Given that my first baby will be born in August 09 [keep it a secret - I haven't told my folks yet cause we're waiting for the ultrasound], I'm not sure the new gen Outback will be here in time.

Thanks again, you're a top bloke!
Old 12-09-08, 01:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

pretty bad mpg for weak engine... it does look extremly boring.
Old 12-09-08, 03:39 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're Brit though, then you will love the 3.2 liter engine as well as the current 6-cylinder Volvo engines as it is a Ford SI6 engine which is produced in their home country in England (manufactured at the Bridgend factory in Wales).

In any case though, in other markets though, the new XC70 is offered with the 2.5 liter D5 common-rail diesel engine. While IMHO, it's just okay for the two-ton XC90, it works wonders for the new XC70.

My dad even test-drove it and it does neat. Since it's a neat diesel engine, we've observed that fuel consumption never dropped below 10 km/liter or 10 l/100 km (dunno what that is in MPG). Wow.
Old 12-09-08, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matters
Mmarshall, thanks for taking the time to do that review for me. I really appreciate it. It was excellent and very helpful.
Sure. Glad it helped.

I'm glad you tested the XC70 3.2 as we don't get the T6 XC70 downunder. That is only available in the V70 here.
You probably don't get much snow or ice in Austraila, being a semi-tropical country, but the Haldex AWD is good for rain and light off-road stuff, too. I'd have to venture to guess why the T6 is restricted down there (I don't know for a fact), but my guess is because of intense competition and market domination from higher-powered Holden products.

Your comments will help me when I go back for a second look. I think my Wife and I missed a lot of things in our first test drive.
Sounds like you two are serious about one. There are also good alternatives, but, with an XC70, you could do a lot worse with your money.

As for the metallic paint, I could not agree with you more. It's simply price gouging to insist on $1550 for metallic paint.
Is that $1550 in Australian/American dollar equivalent? Here in the U.S. it is $675 (on the 2008 models) for metallic paint...enough of a price gouge as it is. You will find that metallic/pearl/mica surcharge on almost all European-nameplate cars. Even Chrysler/Dodge was doing it for some colors when they were Mercedes-owned.

Your comments about the reliability made me think about getting a slightly used XC70. An XC70 with 9000-10000kms will save me $10k AUD of the already discounted driveway price.
Check out all the light bulbs and sockets if you buy a used one. Volvos, general reliability aside, are known for burning them up and shorting them out.

I like the Outback a lot. But I would want to wait for the next generation. Given that my first baby will be born in August 09 [keep it a secret - I haven't told my folks yet cause we're waiting for the ultrasound], I'm not sure the new gen Outback will be here in time.
Well, I don't know your parents or in-laws...I certainly won't (or can't) spill any beans. But you can only keep it a secret a few months before your wife starts showing.

And, of course, congragulations on becoming a daddy. One more reason to consider that nice built-in child seat (if it is offered in Australia).

Thanks again, you're a top bloke!
Right on, Mate. Have a nice Holiday season.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-09-08 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-09-08, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
pretty bad mpg for weak engine... it does look extremly boring.
Welcome to the world of AWD. Anytime you have full-time AWD with a center differential, it adds not only weight but drag to the powertrain as well (since it can't be disconnected), and affects both power and gas mileage. IMO, however, the overall benefits of AWD are worth the gas penalty.

Depends on what you mean by "boring". I addressed Volvo's schoolteacher/librarian "image" in the review. I myself find the overall styling rather handsome, except for the awkward-looking taillights. And of course the rear end is stodgy and squared-off....this is a versatile people and cargo-mover, not a sports sedan.
Old 12-09-08, 06:35 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review as always Mike and agreed... when looking at this, I found the Outback to be a much better $$$ value

Side note: even at 6'2" I thought there would have been more interior space. You mention as not bad, I had thought the Volvo interiors approached cavernous, even for Shaq and MJ...
Old 12-09-08, 06:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
If you're Brit though, then you will love the 3.2 liter engine as well as the current 6-cylinder Volvo engines as it is a Ford SI6 engine which is produced in their home country in England (manufactured at the Bridgend factory in Wales).

In any case though, in other markets though, the new XC70 is offered with the 2.5 liter D5 common-rail diesel engine. While IMHO, it's just okay for the two-ton XC90, it works wonders for the new XC70.

My dad even test-drove it and it does neat. Since it's a neat diesel engine, we've observed that fuel consumption never dropped below 10 km/liter or 10 l/100 km (dunno what that is in MPG). Wow.
I agree. I'd like to see more new-generation Common-Rail and Bluetec diesels here in the U.S. myself (currently only Mercedes and VW offer them, with plans for a BMW 335d), but here in the U.S., the low-sulfur diesel fuel required by these powerplants is expensive (currently $1.00 more than premium gasoline) because our government doesn't give diesel fuel tax credits like in Europe, although tax credits are available here for some diesel vehicle purchases. Availability of the fuel here is also more restricted than in Europe (partly because diesels aren't popular here).....you can't just pull into any station and find it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-09-08 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-09-08, 06:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Great review as always Mike and agreed... when looking at this, I found the Outback to be a much better $$$ value
So did I. I bought one. But the XC70, to be fair, excels in safety, and offers some features not available in Outbacks.

Side note: even at 6'2" I thought there would have been more interior space. You mention as not bad, I had thought the Volvo interiors approached cavernous, even for Shaq and MJ...
Remember.....Volvo or not, this is a mid-size wagon, not a Suburban or an Expedition. The roof is not as tall as on the higher-stance XC90. The AWD components also take up some of the under-floor space, which can affect foot room some. I'm 6' 2", 265 lb. and had no problem with interior space, but it clearly isn't designed for tall NBA guys.

In fact, you and I have just touched on one of the reasons (among several) WHY those guys buy Escalades and Navigators.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-09-08 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-09-08, 08:37 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I suppose Volvo charge extra for metallic paint because it's the norm in Europe. Every manufacturer charges for it. Even Lexus charge $750 extra for metallics.
Old 12-09-08, 10:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I suppose Volvo charge extra for metallic paint because it's the norm in Europe. Every manufacturer charges for it. Even Lexus charge $750 extra for metallics.
American and Asian car manufacturers, including Lexus, in general, don't charge extra for metallics and some colors, especially in the American market, but there are a few rare exceptions. Chrysler/Dodge charged extra for Inferno Red when they were Mercedes-owned. But, for the post part, that paint price-gouging routine is a European thing.
Old 12-09-08, 01:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned review: Nissan Pathfinder. It is not a CL-member request (actually from one of my former co-workers), but I'll share my observations with you guys anyway.