Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 05:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

A Review of the 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

In a Nutshell: Not quite an Evo in the power department, but more civilized and a much better daily driver.

(NAV model shown)

General CL interest in this car, to date, has not been huge, but a couple of you have asked about it, what it will be like, and how it will compare to the more expensive and more powerful Evo, so I put it on my short-term review list. I myself wanted to look at it at the D.C. Auto show last January, but Mitsubishi did not see fit to bring a sample down from the big Detroit show just a couple of days beforehand. And Mitsubishi, at least in this area, had dragged their feet somewhat getting the first ones out to dealerships. The first ones just came in a couple days ago, and the local Mitsubishi shop, at first, was not letting any of their turbo models (including new Ralliarts and Evos) out for any current test-drives. But, since that was the combination Mitsubishi-Subaru-VW shop where I had bought my Outback, they knew me and knew that I was responsible, so they didn't have any problems giving me the keys, as long as I agreed to hold the miles down. So I gave one a good static (still) review, took it out on the road for just long enough to be able to give it a credible test-drive, and brought it back. I had driven older Evos before and looked the new 2009 Evo over as well, but didn't actually test-drive one today (that would have taken too long, and the dealership was hyper about holding miles down). So, I can't compare the new Ralliart directly, 100%, with the new Evo, but I can compare it to previous Evos and to the new one on paper.

In the American market, Mitsubishi places the Ralliart at the top of the model line for the all-new 2009 Lancer series, which includes the entry-level DE, the ES/ES Sport, GTS, and Ralliart (Evos, which are basically street-legal rally cars, are considered a separate class from regular Lancers). Three different Lancer engines are offered, depending on series...a normally aspirated 2.0L four, a normally-aspirated 2.4L four, and a turbo 2.0L four. Four diffrent transmissions are offered, again depending on series...a 5-speed manual, a CVT, a SportTronic CVT with 6-steps, and a VW/Audi-style, Twin-Clutch, 6-speed SportTronic automanual. Ralliarts get the turbo 2.0L four and the Twin-Clutch automanual. They also get a sophisticated, multi-programmable all-wheel-drive system unique to Ralliarts and not available on any other Lancer.

Up to last year (though it wasn't offered last year), the Ralliart, with 237 HP and 253 ft-lbs. of torque, would have more or less competed with Subaru's AWD Impreza WRX model. But, this year, Subaru bumped the WRX upmarket to 265 HP (it is now a $30-32K car as well), and introduced the new Impreza 2.5 turbo GT, which is basically last year's turbo WRX. So, the Impreza 2.5 turbo GT generally competes with the Lancer Ralliart (the Evo and Subaru STi are now both 300-HP rally cars and are now in the 38-40K class), and the Subaru WRX is now in a class by itself between the Ralliart/Impreza GT and Evo/STi levels....Mitsubishi has no direct competition for the new WRX.

I found the new Ralliart to be a relatively nice pocket-rocket, with a sophisticated and well-done powertrain and some quirky controls....more on that below. On both the static inspection and the test-drive, it was apparant that Mitsubishi's quality control and assembly precision have improved enormously from the sup-par levels of the 1990's, especially from the problem-ridden Diamond-Star plant at Normal, IL that Mitsubishi shared with Chrysler. Until the Nissan-Infiniti plant at Canton, MS opened up with a whole new set of problems, the old Diamond-Star plant at Normal was considered one of the worst auto plants in the country, with everything from bad paint jobs, to loose parts that fell off, to labor-management problems, to sexual-harasment and racial-discrimination suits, to you-name it. Some high-ranking Mitsubishi officials (not necessarily at that specific plant) were arrested on numerous corporate scandals. Those bad old days, happily, seem to be gone at Mitsubishi, although their market share of the auto industry has dropped quite a bit since the 1990's. Several of us here at CL (most notably me and 1SICKLEX) have had on-lone discussions as to whether Mitsubishi or Isuzu would be the first to leave the American market...we now see it will be Isuzu. Mitsubishi, right now, has no hard plans to leave anytime soon, as they have just introduced a number of new and redesigned vehicles to the American market (including Ralliarts in both the Lancer and Galant lines). So, it looks like they are here to stay, at least for awhile.

OK.....so much for auto company politics. What is the Lancer Ralliart like? Read on.

Model Reviewed: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart 4 Door Sedan

Base Price: $26,490

Major Options: None

Destination/Freight: $675

List price as reviewed: $27,165

Drivetrain: Multi-mode AWD, Transversely-mounted, turbocharged 2.4L in-line 4, 237 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque 253 Ft-lbs. @ 3000 RPM,
6-speed Twin-Clutch auto-manual Sport-Tronic transmission with paddle shifters, Active Center differential, front and rear
limited-slip differentials.

EPA Mileage Ratings: 17 City, 25 Highway

Exterior Color: Apex Silver Metallic

Interior: Black Cloth

PLUSSES:

Torquey turbocharged four.

Sophisticated, multi-mode All-wheel-drive system.

Smooth, refined, auto-manual twin-clutch transmission.

Good steering response and feel.

Responsive brakes.

Excellent Mitsubishi warranty equals that of Hyundai/Kia.

Nice paint job and paint color choice.

Relatively good underhood layout....with one or two exceptions.

Thin-plastic but slick-swiveling side mirrors.

Good quality exterior trim.

Comfortable, supportive seats.

Nice, plush seat fabric.

Smart-looking imitation carbon-fiber dash trim.

Excellent stereo sound quality.

Good interior hardware.

Generally easy-to-use buttons, *****, and stalks.

Clear, easy-to-read primary gauges.

MINUSES:

Ridiculous front grille.

Ugly (IMO), angry-feline-look front headlights.

Hood scoop is only fake...not connected to the turbo system.

AWD system eats up some gas mileage and engine performance.

Quirky AWD-mode/transmission-mode indicators and controls.

Loose, flimsy-feeling dash air vent mechanisms.

Poorly-labeled steering wheel buttons.

Relatively tight trunk space.

Poorly-spaced brake/gas pedals cause big-shoe hangup.

Turbo induction system blocks battery access underhood.

Transmission shifter lift-collar somewhat awkward to use.

Quirky-looking, electronic digital gas gauge.

No (?) coolant-temperature gauge.

Road/wind noise isolation could be better.

Too much monotone black in the interior for my tastes.

Trunk-lid spoiler blocks some vision out the rear window.

Rather sparse dealer network for sales and service.

EXTERIOR:

You first impression of the new Ralliart (well, mine, at least), as you walk up to it, depends on which direction you are walking up to it from. Overall, its looks are like no other Mitsubishi product in the American market. IMO, it is a good-looking, handsome car from the sides and back, although the big, gimmicky rear spoiler-wing above the trunk lid eats into the rear-window vision. The whole front end. though, is awful. The hugely-oversized, Audi-like, trapezoid-shaped grille that is more or less shared with the Evo is nothing short of ridiculous....if this is all that the stylists can come up with, they're taking too many coffee breaks (lesser-ranking Lancers get a more conventional double-rectangle, split front bumper-grille). If you look closely, the huge, Audi-like effect of the front grille was actually obtained. not by a separate grille itself, but by painting the middle part of the bumper flat-black, adding a black honey-comb pattern undereneath it, and then surrounding it with an admittedly high-quality and well-polished piece of chrome trim surround. It seems to have achieved the desired effect at less cost than a separate grille. Mitsubishi hopes you won't notice the cost-cutting, though there is no way you cannot notice the visual effect....it stands out more garishly than a bikini-clad Pamela Anderson Lee in a nun's convent. Next to the circus-clown grille, the two headlights, almost as garish, remind one of an angry bobcat about to pounce on a field mouse. On top of the lightweight, aluminum hood lie some fake hood scoops that try to look sporty, but actually do nothing but break up the hood's clean lines.....they don't seem to be connected to anything below.

So, the whole front end, IMO, is a washout, but the rest of the exterior is pretty nice. The two outside mirrors have rather thin plastic housings like those on many American-designed vehicles, but, otherwise, are smooth and slick-operating, and snap-lock easily in and out of their stops. The paint job is very well done.........Mitsubishi has recently made enormous strides in this area. I can remember seeing Mitsibishi Eclipses and other vehicles in the mid-to-late 90's coming out of the Normal, IL plant with dried runs/drips in the paint, overspray on glass, sides and bottom, and burs from painting over pieces of dirt. My Chevy Citation I had back in 1980 was like that.....very sloppily painted.

Anyhow, back to the Ralliart. The rest of the exterior, like I said, was pretty well-done. The exterior trim/hardware is solidly attached and of high quality. The rather small trunk lid closes with a solid "thunk". The four doors, though not closing with quite as solid a sound as the trunk lid, are nevertheless well-made with good sheet metal, Panel gaps are extremely thin; down to virtually Lexus levels. Paint colors are generally well-done.....some of the usual funeral-home shades, combined with some brighter ones as well. I liked four of them....the Rally Red Metallic, the Octane Blue Pearl, the Aqua metallic, a beautiful light blue-green, and the Ralliart's feature color for advertising....the Rotor Glow Metallic, a bright desert-like, copper burnt-orange. Too bad the beautiful Aqua is not available on the Ralliart.....only on lesser-grade Lancers.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the lightweight aluminum hood, which contains a nice insulation pad, and it is propped up with a rod, although the rod is well-made with thick-diameter metal, negating somewhat the fact that a car in this price range (27K) probably should have gas struts or springs holding up the hood. I didn't list it as a specific MINUS, and it must be remembered that the base version of the Lancer this car comes from sells in the mid-teens.

Underhood, the layout is OK....at least average or better. The transverse-mounted 2.0L turbo four fits in pretty well, but nowhere near as well as with the superb layout of the Kia Rondo last week. There is little or no room on the sides to work, and a plastic engine cover blocks some of the upper-engine components. There is some room (not a great deal) in the front and back, and some of those components can be reached. All of the dipsticks, filler caps, and reservoirs are easily and handily reached, though the master cylinder for the brakes is under the firewall lid and has a translucent filler tube bending forward to add brake fluid. The battery is right up front, on the right, but the big, wide, plastic turbo induction pipe runs right over the top of it...it has to be unbolted and removed to access the battery itself.

INTERIOR:

The interior, on the whole, is a little too monotone-black and coal-mine-like for my tastes, but is generally well-done. There is adequate knee and legroom for all but the largest adults, front and rear. Headroom is fine up front (my car did not have a headroom-robbing sunroof, which is a package option), but just marginal in back for a person my size (6' 2" and a cap). I liked the soft, plush-feeling, velour-like seat fabric and the not soft, but only semi-firm cushions.....way too many cars nowadays have seat cushions like a rock. And the seats are well-shaped for support despite the slightly softer-than-average fabric. Leather does not appear to be an option unless you move up to the Evo, but cloth Recaro semi-racing seats are available as a package option.

The dash has a nice belt of dark gray imitation carbon-fiber trim. That, along with the silver-plastic wheel spokes (which don't feel as cheap as some others do), and a few bits of nicely-done chrome trim here and there, takes a little of the black coal-mine atmosphere away. The door panels are hard black plastic with thin black fabric inserts, containing high-quality power door/window/mirror switches. The steering wheel is a nice sporty black/silver 3-spoke design, and its leather-wrapped rim is fairly comfortable to hold, but some of the buttons on it are poorly or unclearly marked. For example, the cruise-control buttons are not marked at such; simply ON/OFF. A couple of other buttons appear to be for high-tech phone/sound-systems, but are also poorly labelled. The big, circular primary gauges (speedometer and tach) are clearly designed and marked, sit in deep tunnels to keep the bright sunlight from washing them out, and have blue and red lighting at night. The small fuel gauge, in between, is a quirky digital electronic bar-graph....I've never liked that type of design, and clearly prefer analog ones. I don't recall (?) seeeing a coolant-temperature gauge, electronic or analog......if that is the case, chalk it up to cost-cutting, like on Subaru's new Impreza/Forester. I also clearly didn't like the digital displays, between the speedometer and the tach, for the transmission modes/gears and the AWD modes (tarmac, snow, gravel). Not that there was anything wrong with having these markings and displays, but they were quirky in the way they operated and displayed things. I had to stop, pull over to the side of the road, and fiddle several minutes with the transmission shifter, its silver pull-up/collar ring, and some rocker switches to get the transmission and AWD systems where I wanted them....and to test them in their different modes (of course, I didn't have real snow or gravel to drive on today). The transmission paddle-shifters are huge, rotate with the steering wheel, and are a snap to find and use anytime.

The four air-vents, on the dash, work well, but have a loose, flimsy feel to the adjustable louvers/slats and the ***** that operate them. The stereo has an excellent sound quality, especially for a car of this class....it is close to some Lexus stereos. The stereo buttons, in the non-NAV car I had, were simple, well-designed, and worked well. Ditto for the solid-feeling and slick-operating climate-control *****, although they are lighted up a garish red-orange at night. The transmission shifter (I'll save comments on the transmission itself for later), is slick-smooth in its operation, though I didn't particularly like the way the leather stitching felt or, as I mentioned above, the quirkiness of the way the pull-up collar worked and the way it you had to use it to change transmission modes, along with unmarked buttons.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

The cargo area and trunk get mixed grades. The swept-back roofline/D-pillars and generally short rear end cut strongly into the size of the trunk lid, so that only the actual back of the trunk, and little on top, opens up. The trunk is adequate for small-to-medium size luggage loads, but you know at a glace that this is not a Chevy Suburban. The lid does not have the scissors-type, articulated hinges that let the lid go up and past vertical, but a well-done set of gas struts allows it to go up almost as far, thus making loading easier. The trunk itself is poorly finished on the sides, with what feels almost like gray wallpaper, but the bottom has a fairly nice if thin, gray industrial-grade carpet fabric. The temporary spare tire is in the usual spot.....under the trunk floor and a pull-up panel (IMO, a real spare is probably not expected on a car in this price range, so I didn't list it as a MINUS). Both rear seats fold down for added cargo space, but I didn't notice a remote seat-release in the trunk....you have to do it from the back seat itself.

ON THE ROAD:

A fairly impressive little pocket-rocket on the road, although, like on Subarus, the AWD system eats up some of the power and gas mileage...note the fairly low 17/25 EPA ratings. Start the 2.0L turbo four with a proxmity transponder "key" in your presence (it doesn't go into the ignition switch itself) by turning a large twist-**** built into the side of the steering column. I like this design myself (a few other new vehicles also have it), bcause it is more foolproof than a START/STOP button, which could, in a moment of confusion, be hit by mistake while you are driving.....people have done it. The engine fires up into a fairly smooth, but not Toyota/Honda-smooth, idle. Warmed up, on the road, it has plenty of power, a good torque peak of 253 ft-lbs. at only 3000 RPM, minimal turbo lag, and will give you a fairly good shove in the back, although, of course, it can't run with the 300 HP Evo or Subaru STi. It also can't quite match the Chevy Cobalt SS I drove a few weeks ago for kick-a** power, but of course the Cobalt is lighter and has FWD, which is less of a drag.

I've already described some the quirks in the transmission modes, shifter, and display indicators I didn't like, but the twin-clutch automanual transmission itself is a really nice unit.....almost as nice as the similiar non-torque converter VW/Audi DSG gearbox. I rate the VW/Audi gearbox slightly higher only because it shifts a little smoother and doesn't have the Ralliart's digital quirks, but the Ralliart's transmission is plenty smooth-shifting whether in "Normal" (full automatic) or "Sport" manual-shift mode. The shifter, like the VW/Audi DSG shifter, has a silky-smooth feel gliding forward and back, and none of that ziz-zag motion crap, but the silver pull-up collar on the lever is erratric in its operation and its connection to the dash displays takes some getting used to.

OK.....I've vented about this shifting/dash display issue long enough, now let's forget it and get on with the rest of the review.

The all-wheel-drive system is quite complex and sophisticated, made more so by the fact that it it is hooked to a transversely-mounted engine, which necessitates more bevel-gears to re-route the power from the engine. I've always liked Subaru's simpler AWD systems, with the flat four/six engines and the straight-back output shaft, which makes an AWD hook-up much easier. Even apart from that, though, the Ralliart's system, with an active center differential and limited slip differentials both front and rear, is a lot of hardware (Subaru also puts sophisticated hardware on the WRX, STi, and Legacy Spec-B). It works seamlessly, and can be adjusted into Tarmac (hard pavement), Snow (Winter/slippery roads), and Gravel (loose or off-road surfaces) modes, which adjust engine torque, front-to-rear torque flow, and transmission-shift points. Like many other AWD systems, however, it robs some engine power....the engine still gives you a fairly good shove in the back, but you can feel that it would be capable of more without the AWD's weight and drag.

Handling, as expected of a car of this type, is quite good. Steering response is quick, relatively neutral in character (which reflects the AWD), and has fairly good feel. There is a little body roll (more than I expected, and, of course, more than the Evo's), but still well on the flat side....this is no minivan. The standard summer-high-performance tires do a good job on dry pavement but may not do well on slippery roads. I, of course, tried the winter transmission/AWD modes, but could not actually try the tires out in snow....only time will tell how they do in the slop. Braking was smooth and effective, with good response, little sponginess, and a fairly firm pedal, but the placement of the aluminum-trimmed sport brake and gas pedals was poor for a person with big shoes like mine. The gas pedal is crammed all the way over on the right against the lower-console, and the brake pedal is close by and slightly raised, which means by big size 15's hang up a little on it when shifting left and right. Not necessarily a dangerous design, but somewhat annoying for a person like me. And, yes, some other vehicles have this same problem, too.....the Ralliart is not alone. The Lotus Elise I drove some time ago was the absolute worst...the pedals were like a toy car, and crammed right next to each other. Noise isolation is not particularly good, with some wind, road, and tire noise making its way into the cabin even wth the windows and doors shut tight, but it is not loud enough to impact converation at normal cruise speeds. Ride comfort, from the suspension and tires, is definitely on the firm side (as expected), but it is far more civilized over bumps than the last Evo I drove, which was ultra-harsh. This car will not beat you up over bumps and road irregulatirtes.

THE VERDICT:

There isn't a whole lot I can add here.....I think I've covered most of it in the review. This is nothing like the old Ralliart of years ago. Unlike the old Ralliart, The new one for 2009 has plenty of power, a decent paint job, good overall build quality, slick handling, a sophisticated AWD system, interior comfort, and good brakes. It could use some added noise isolation, a little more color and contrast in the interior trim, some refining of the way the transmission/AWD modes and displays work, and (Please?) front-end styling that doesn't look like something out of Barnum and Bailey's circus.

But, be that as it may, it is a nice compact semi-high-performance car for the money, and even though it can't quite keep up with some more expensive or lighter-weight competitors on the drag strip, IMO, it is an excellent overall competitor with other compact high-performance cars, and IMO, is worth Mitsubishi's asking price. I give the car a generally favorable recommendation.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-20-08 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 06:57 PM
LexFather

Man another great review. This was a car people asked for and Mitsu delivered, kudos to them.

Where does this car fit exactly? Civic SI competitor or just WRX one? 27k is steep imo.

Old 10-20-08, 07:05 PM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baseball anyone??

Thanks for another great review
Old 10-20-08, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Man another great review.
Thanks.

Where does this car fit exactly? Civic SI competitor or just WRX one? 27k is steep imo.
It's now one step below the WRX, as I noted in the review. The WRX has added some 40 HP for 2009. The new Impreza 2.5 GT (and LAST year's WRX)more or less competes with the Ralliart now. The Civic Si doesn't really compete because it's FWD and non-turbo...., like the Cobalt SS, a completely different setup than the WRX/Ralliart.
Old 10-20-08, 07:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PVlexus
Baseball anyone??
Yeah....I don't care for that stitching on the shifter either.

Thanks for another great review
Sure.....anytime.

The Jag XR and Cadillac CTS-V are next, if I can get a hold of one.
Old 10-21-08, 05:19 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Mmarshall,

Wonderful review, Thank you!

After reading your review I do have to agree that this car would be a fun daily driver. As you know I'm partial to AWD and as company’s keep putting more and more power in these pocket rockets it seems AWD is the way to go especially when compared to say the Colbolt SS you reviewed a few weeks ago and even commented on some FWD wheel spin in some circumstances.

Based on your drive in the car if you did go for it as a DD would you get the auto/manual transmission or would you prefer one of the other transmission choices?

TripleL
Old 10-21-08, 05:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Mmarshall,

Wonderful review, Thank you!
Sure....anytime.

After reading your review I do have to agree that this car would be a fun daily driver. As you know I'm partial to AWD and as company’s keep putting more and more power in these pocket rockets it seems AWD is the way to go especially when compared to say the Colbolt SS you reviewed a few weeks ago and even commented on some FWD wheel spin in some circumstances.

Based on your drive in the car if you did go for it as a DD would you get the auto/manual transmission or would you prefer one of the other transmission choices?
The Cobalt SS's problem was not so much excessive power alone to the front wheels as it was a rather awkward clutch and shift linkage. In my experience, it only happened when you had to start from a stop uphill with somebody stopped close behind you......a condition often dicey with a manual transmission. Unless you have one of Subaru's Hill-Holder clutch features, you have to release the brake, give it gas, and pop the clutch with a minimum of rollback....all in one second or so. I sometimes use a hand-held emergancy brake handle to help, but it is just an awkward thing to do on the Cobalt because the clutch and shift linkage are not smooth, silky, and foolproof like on, say, a Honda Civic. That's just one reason (of many) why the Civic sells in such huge numbers with manual-shift fans. The Cobalt's high torque max, at only 2000 RPM, of course, also tends to add to the problem.....but only in that circumstance (unless you deliberately start out aggressively, of course) The wheelspin only lasts a split-second, though...the traction control then kicks in and stops it. If you want to start out NHRA-style, though, there is an electronic Launch Control mode that rigs the car for max acceleration from a dead stop, but, of course, that puts abuse on the drivetrain.

As far as the Ralliart's transmission choice goes, they only offer one engine and one transmission (in the American market, at least). Lesser-ranking Lancers have other choices....but they don't get the Twin Clutch automanual. The 2.0 turbo and Twin-Clutch automanual, on the Ralliart, is standard, and the only choice. I have no problem with that, though. I like direct-shift gearboxes like that, though Mitsubishi's unit, while smooth, is not quite as smooth or seamless as the VW/Audi DSG. And, as I said in the review, I find some of its push-button and shifter-collar mode switching a little awkward, but the shift lever itself is smooth as butter....and doesn't have that ziz-zag stuff I dislike.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-21-08 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-21-08, 06:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

excellent review...thanks.

no way in the world I'd pay $27K for this car.

They are actually selling 100% stripped Lancers for $10995 (here in Houston anyway).
Old 10-21-08, 07:48 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good review. i'd definitely consider one of these used... all of the good features of the evo at less money. a few mods and it would easily break 300 hp.
Old 10-21-08, 10:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
excellent review...thanks.
Sure. Anytime.

no way in the world I'd pay $27K for this car.

They are actually selling 100% stripped Lancers for $10995 (here in Houston anyway).
Would you rather pay 38-40K for a new Evo or 27K for this car? (In fact, the Mitsu shop I was at yesterday had a new Evo that listed at 42K)

Yes, base-level Lancers can be had for bargain money, but a base Lancer is a LONG way from a Ralliart.
Old 10-21-08, 10:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 19psi
good review.
Thanks.

I'd definitely consider one of these used... all of the good features of the evo at less money. a few mods and it would easily break 300 hp.
Gotta be careful with used pocket-rockets, though. Not all of them are well cared-for, and many of them have been driven pretty hard by the caps-on-backward crowd. I see myself how some of them are tossed around every day here on local roads.

You're also, in some cases, on your own with them, because power-chips in the computer are considered a vehicle alteration and usually voids whatever is left of the factory warranty.
Old 10-21-08, 11:29 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i guess i'd be one of those types to abuse it too! not to worry though, i've been working on turbo awd mitsu's for the better part of this decade. whatever breaks, i can fix no problem! i usually buy them not even running and do a full engine rebuild to get them on the road again, so if i were to pick up a used ralliart, i'd be pleased that i can actually drive it home!
Old 10-21-08, 01:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 19psi
i guess i'd be one of those types to abuse it too! not to worry though, i've been working on turbo awd mitsu's for the better part of this decade. whatever breaks, i can fix no problem! i usually buy them not even running and do a full engine rebuild to get them on the road again, so if i were to pick up a used ralliart, i'd be pleased that i can actually drive it home!
OK....well, in that case, then, have fun.
Old 10-21-08, 04:34 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

As far as the Ralliart's transmission choice goes, they only offer one engine and one transmission (in the American market, at least). Lesser-ranking Lancers have other choices....but they don't get the Twin Clutch automanual. The 2.0 turbo and Twin-Clutch automanual, on the Ralliart, is standard, and the only choice. I have no problem with that, though. I like direct-shift gearboxes like that, though Mitsubishi's unit, while smooth, is not quite as smooth or seamless as the VW/Audi DSG. And, as I said in the review, I find some of its push-button and shifter-collar mode switching a little awkward, but the shift lever itself is smooth as butter....and doesn't have that ziz-zag stuff I dislike.

People who wants a Lancer Ralliart with a traditional manual gearbox can upgrade to a EVO X GSR, because the GSR is moving so slow, dealers (at least in SoCal) are placing heavy discounts on them. Here in SoCal, base EVO X GSR with MSRP of 33k can sell for around 29k plus ttl. That puts it really close to the Ralliart, which is probably expensive due to the Twin Clutch Manual.
Old 10-21-08, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
People who wants a Lancer Ralliart with a traditional manual gearbox can upgrade to a EVO X GSR, because the GSR is moving so slow, dealers (at least in SoCal) are placing heavy discounts on them. Here in SoCal, base EVO X GSR with MSRP of 33k can sell for around 29k plus ttl. That puts it really close to the Ralliart, which is probably expensive due to the Twin Clutch Manual.

I agree....29-30K for a new Evo of any trim line is quite a bargain, if that's the kind of car you want. I couldn't drive a car like that, though, as a daily driver...the chassis, tires, and suspension are way too stiff for my tastes. Reviewing and test-driving a car for one morning is one thing; living with it everyday is quite another. The Ralliart, while somewhat stiff, won't knock your fillings out over bumps like the former Evo did (I haven't driven a new Evo enough to really comment on it). But, from what I've read, Mitsubishi may have made the new Evo's underpinnings a little more civilized than the last model....it was so harsh that even auto-enthusiast magazines complained about it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-21-08 at 06:18 PM.