Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti EX fail. Selling at 50% of forecast, updates to be made after only 1 year

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-08, 02:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder how the BMW X6 is doing, considering it's as functional as the EX, but costs twice as much...
Old 10-13-08, 02:15 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd like to see how they plan to address the rear seat issue without major changes to the body, which would be cost prohibitive I would think. They'll probably thin out the front seatbacks etc.

I think people also are holding off buying the EX35 because they see that the other markets and the FX got the 3.7 and 7 speed automatic.
Old 10-13-08, 02:40 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I wonder how the BMW X6 is doing, considering it's as functional as the EX, but costs twice as much...
X6s are everywhere in UAE too!
Old 10-13-08, 02:46 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

To be completely honest, this wont save it at all. I dont know who Infiniti is kidding. I had no idea that the rear seat leg room was the bad. Plus it cant tow anything, and cargo room is non existant and it has a big probably gas guzzling V6 with an outdated 5-speed Auto, and horrible styling IMO.

I always felt like the EX was a half-assed attempt to get into a market that has never gained any traction.

They were aiming for mostly single female's to purchase this vehicle, yet I think they made it too sporty for most of them and not fuel efficient enough.

A smaller V6 engine would have been nice, but for whatever reason, Nissan doesnt being those over here.
Old 10-13-08, 02:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Those 10.2K people who've bought the current model will be real happy when a new one is rolled out just a few months after their purchase. With limited resale now, it will only go down with a new one.
Old 10-13-08, 04:19 PM
LexFather

Well no offense but in their 19 year history, its far more full of fail than success. Outside the G35 sedan/coupes, the M35/45 and somewhat the FX, everything they have produced has pretty much been dismal, a sales failure and discontinued. Who the hell is their management team? So when they debut a new vehicle, chances are it will fail more than it will succeed.

Mind you it seems to be built VERY well, the interior is really First rate and the engine/tranny is smooth and strong.

The rear seat room is dismal, its like a 4 seat convertible back there. Not even children could have decent legroom. The cargo area is a complete joke, smaller than hatchbacks like the GTI or Mazda 3. Then the car cannot even tow. If you haven't checked it out, you will laugh at how useless it is.

We are talking about a 50% missed forecast its first year. That is ridiculous, heads should roll as this hurts a brand that was trying to make moves. As you know, sales historically get worse for a vehicle that is not wanted after its first year, no matter the updates.

I don't see them reshaping seats helping rear seat room, Lexus tried that same crap with the IS and it was cramped then and its cramped now.

With the economy slumping everywhere, this useless vehicle with sub-par gas mileage has no place.

Old 10-13-08, 04:23 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The vehicle seems to be doing well in NYC.. There is an EX35 at almost every corner.. I guess it has to do with markets. You will seldom find an EX35 at every street corner of Nashville Tennesse, Boise Idaho and other non trendy cities of the country.
What's an EX35?

Signed,
LA-SF-CA Resident
Old 10-13-08, 04:39 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only seen one. ANd it was parked.

I try to judge the success of cars based on what I see when I'm at home (Torrance, CA; 20-30 minutes out of Downtown LA, in the South Bay Area).

When the current Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade came out, it was suddenly the "it" SUV. Same with all other cars that have done well.

I've seen more Aston Martin DB9s in Torrance than I've seen a EX35.
Old 10-13-08, 04:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
In Sept, 476 were sold. YTD = 3,362. Don't know what their goals were, but it doesn't sound like a lot.
Old 10-13-08, 05:03 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i saw my first EX yesterday. and that thing is tiny!

it looks like it was designed for women alright.

midget women.

infiniti is teh suck. trying so hard to be different, that they had to add a whale (FX) to the lineup.
Old 10-13-08, 05:12 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy101
The rear leg room on this thing is horrendous. I really don't know what the product planners were thinking.
Form over function ... like a lot of Infiniti products? It's very obvious the functionality of the EX was compromised for styling and perhaps performance.
Old 10-13-08, 05:22 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see hardly any of these in S. Florida... and this is one of the largest luxury car markets in the country. What's more ironic is that the highest volume dealer in the entire Infiniti franchise is also located here.
Old 10-13-08, 06:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The rear seat room is dismal, its like a 4 seat convertible back there. Not even children could have decent legroom. The cargo area is a complete joke, smaller than hatchbacks like the GTI or Mazda 3.
Yes, it's tight back there (one of the main MINUSES for it I listed in my review), but probably no worse than the Lexus IS250/350, which IS selling well....especially the IS250AWD.
Old 10-13-08, 06:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In Sept, 476 were sold. YTD = 3,362. Don't know what their goals were, but it doesn't sound like a lot.
BMW stated the X6 has sold all 20k units its first year. Clearly, its not even CLOSE to meeting sales goals.

As for the EX its even more of a failure when you factor in its had 0% financing for 72 months for sometime now, as well as lease deals since its inception.

Old 10-13-08, 06:53 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe Infiniti set its target too high initially?

Quick Reply: Infiniti EX fail. Selling at 50% of forecast, updates to be made after only 1 year