Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

U.S. Auto Sales Woes Continue

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 08:32 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U.S. Auto Sales Woes Continue

U.S. Auto Sales Woes Continue
By MIKE BARRIS
August 25, 2008; Page B3

U.S. auto makers are expected to report big declines in August domestic sales despite stepped-up incentives, according to research firm J.D. Power & Associates, though industrywide sales are expected to improve slightly from July's moribund rate.

Ford trucks in a dealership's storage lot in Chicago. U.S. auto makers are expected to report big declines in August domestic sales, according to J.D. Power & Associates.

The research firm still expects sales in the closing days of the month to improve because of General Motors Corp.'s 100th anniversary sales event, which offers "employee pricing" on most vehicles and cash rebates on selected light trucks.

The J.D. Power report, based on sales through Aug. 17, estimates sales for the month will come in at around 1.21 million vehicles, or 13.4 million vehicles on a seasonally adjusted annual rate. That is down from the August 2007 seasonally adjusted rate of 16.2 million vehicles, but up 6.3% from July.

"Both cash rebates and APR programs continue to rise from year-ago levels, as auto makers struggle with weakening light-truck sales," said J.D. Power. The average time a vehicle sat on the lot during the first 14 selling days of the month rose 14% from a year ago, it said, "adding pressure to increase incentive programs."

All major manufacturers had year-to-year retail-sales declines through the first 14 days of the month, although Nissan Motor Co.'s decline was modest. "That general pattern is expected to hold through the remainder of the month, with only GM by the end of the month expected to show a significant improvement over its month-to-date performance as its incentive program takes effect," J.D. Power said. Only Nissan is expected to finish the month with higher sales -- up 1.5%. Declines of 24% to 30% are forecast for GM, Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler LLC, while Toyota Motor Corp. is projected to have a 13% decline.

"With the month now half over, the pattern of very weak sales that has persisted for at least the last several months is clearly continuing into August," said J.D. Power Chief Economist Bob Schnorbus. "However, with auto makers getting near the end of one model year and getting ready to start the next, sales are beginning to show some signs of improving over July's dismal sales performance."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1219...rss_Autos_Main
Old 08-26-08, 08:58 AM
LexFather

Scary how things change so quickly. I don't expect anything to get better until after the election, when people know who is in office for the next 4 years.....

Its clear some automakers are being very aggresive with low APR/0 down/lower pricing while others try to brave the storm.

Old 08-26-08, 09:08 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The economy and fuel costs are affecting me as a potential customer. I'm about due to go car shopping but I just can't fathom adding a monthly note to my budget right now. I haven't thought like that in over 15 years.
Old 08-26-08, 10:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Scary how things change so quickly. I don't expect anything to get better until after the election, when people know who is in office for the next 4 years.....

Its clear some automakers are being very aggresive with low APR/0 down/lower pricing while others try to brave the storm.
part of the reason why we have been holding on off new car purchase for this long
Old 08-26-08, 11:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

rominl

part of the reason why we have been holding on off new car purchase for this long
I fail to see what difference it makes who is the next President, as far as car shopping is concerned. People's car needs (and wants) are not likely to change just because Bush is leaving and someone else will be taking his place.

That, to me, is like someone saying that they are not going to buy another new vehicle until they see who Madonna's next husband or Paris Hilton's next boyfriend will be.
Old 08-26-08, 11:22 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder what the luxury car forecast is?
Old 08-26-08, 11:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I fail to see what difference it makes who is the next President, as far as car shopping is concerned. People's car needs (and wants) are not likely to change just because Bush is leaving and someone else will be taking his place.

That, to me, is like someone saying that they are not going to buy another new vehicle until they see who Madonna's next husband or Paris Hilton's next boyfriend will be.
i never said i am waiting for the next president though, did i? while i have my preference between the parties and candidates, my reasons for holding off are
1) economy is not stable yet in my eyes
2) prices are still dropping on cars we want. so why get them now?
3) we can do with one car now, it works out
4) gs350 is saving us gas money. whatever car we get next, not likely gas friendly
Old 08-26-08, 11:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i never said i am waiting for the next president though, did i? while i have my preference between the parties and candidates, my reasons for holding off are
4) gs350 is saving us gas money. whatever car we get next, not likely gas friendly
OK, Henry. I think we both cleared our points up.

Many prices, however, DO drop this time of year, especially on end-of model year 2008's. Most, if not all, dealerships are having clearance sales.

I'd be cautious of a 2008 that has been sitting on the lot for months, though. It's likely to have flat-spot tires, rusted brake rotors, dried-out seals, paint deformation spots from bird dirt, a sun-baked interior, or other problems.
Old 08-26-08, 12:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

question is - how long will they fall? everyone turned down the production of unwanted vehicles and sooner than later, sales will be up because supply of the small cars will be up... and discount will be smaller, since nobody will be producing trucks anymore.
Old 08-26-08, 12:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
question is - how long will they fall? everyone turned down the production of unwanted vehicles and sooner than later, sales will be up because supply of the small cars will be up... and discount will be smaller, since nobody will be producing trucks anymore.
good points, and god knows when it's the "best" time. but on cars that i am interested in (high performance), given the current economy and especially the effect of gas, they are taking such a big hit that even when the supply is getting less, they are still not selling

it's very obvious when they ask you to drive an m5 or e63, whereas a yr or two ago, you almost had to buy to drive. and you can hear the salesmen's tone as well, where now they are really eager to see how you want to work out a deal with them, rather than the attitude of i have the car, you come to me when you are ready.
Old 08-26-08, 01:02 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

So which car are you leaning towards?
Old 08-26-08, 02:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

good points, and god knows when it's the "best" time. but on cars that i am interested in (high performance), given the current economy and especially the effect of gas, they are taking such a big hit that even when the supply is getting less, they are still not selling

it's very obvious when they ask you to drive an m5 or e63, whereas a yr or two ago, you almost had to buy to drive. and you can hear the salesmen's tone as well, where now they are really eager to see how you want to work out a deal with them, rather than the attitude of i have the car, you come to me when you are ready.
doesnt that make you smile?

I remember going to see S2000 when it was just out and f$$$$$s did not want to even open up the car for me, let alone talk about test drive :P
Old 08-26-08, 03:44 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...26/097678.html

Washington DC August 26, 2008; The AIADA newsletter reported that those shiny and expensive Lexuses and Lincolns on dealers' lots are no longer immune from the demons that have driven the auto industry into the ditch. According to South Carolina's The State, the luxury-car business — once thought to be recession-proof — is down thanks to a shaky economy plagued by high gas prices and tight credit. "The stock market probably has more of an effect on luxury-car buyers than the price of gasoline," said AIADA Chairman Jim Hudson, majority owner of Jim Hudson Automotive Group, which includes a Lexus dealership. Sales of Toyota's Lexus, the leading luxury brand leader in the United States, are down 15 percent. The Honda-built Acura is off 14 percent. Meanwhile, BMW and Mercedes are hanging tough. BMW is down 3 percent while Mercedes is up 2 percent. For his part, Hudson remains optimistic, noting that gas prices have fallen and oil consumption in the first half of 2008 dropped an average of 800,000 barrels a day. "I see that getting stronger and stronger," Hudson said. "I think the worst is behind us."
Old 08-27-08, 07:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

my reasons for holding off are
You've got a loooooooooong wait if you want that first!
Old 08-27-08, 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
I remember going to see S2000 when it was just out and f$$$$$s did not want to even open up the car for me, let alone talk about test drive :P
Back then, both Honda and its dealerships had holdover arrogance from their elite days of the 1980's, when they ruled the new-car-buisness. Things are somewhat different now, because Honda and Toyota now have real competition.

Quick Reply: U.S. Auto Sales Woes Continue