Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why $65/barrel oil could be coming (Great Article)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-08, 08:53 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long term I see it staying above $100. Maybe a dip to the $90s, but then
reality will settle in and up we go again...
Old 08-16-08, 09:22 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this point, with production dropping off at the points of easiest & cheapest extraction, and demand for energy increasing significantly around the world - I think high relative oil prices are inevitable and healthy. Higher prices for conventional energy (fossil source fuels - oil, coal, ngas, etc) should result in increased investment in so-called "alternative" sources of energy (wind, solar, geothermal, tidal, biomass, etc) which will benefit everyone in the long run as investment now should mean that as conventional supplies are exhausted, there are cost competitive alternatives.

If this development isn't market-driven (ie, publicly financed) there's a good chance we'll end up with fewer and less efficient alternatives (like corn ethanol). And if the development doesn't start now (or soon), it'll happen in a panic, will likely be government directed, and will probably result in an even more painful (economically, politically, socially) transition period.
Old 08-17-08, 01:29 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

we're not the money making target. Right now the trend is fuel saving, and Toyota is now the house standard brand when it comes to hybrids. Not only are hybrids the current future and market, they also give Toyota a good reputation of being environmentally friendly, and image sells
The is correct. Toyota needs as many fuel efficient vehicles as possible right now. They are doing the right thing by down sizing the full size trucks and suvs.
Old 08-18-08, 12:37 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mixman
Not going to happen.... at least for any length of time. As soon as the price of oil goes too low OPEC will surely cut production and the price will then go back up. They wil milk their oil production for as long as they can for as much as the market will bear.
That would be the ultimate strategy for them. Lets just hope they dont see that
Old 08-18-08, 12:59 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

super! so we can push back the production of the VOLT (again). phew...
Old 08-18-08, 05:41 AM
MazdaSteve
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nn432100
I dont care if oil is a dollar or free in a year. Im still doing what I can to stick it to those damn arab princess! When the money there runs out lets see how far their little jihad continues.
Before you start your own Jihad against those Arab Princes', maybe you would like to know that most of the money that comes out of your pocket when you're filling up goes to our government in the form of taxes, and to the big oil companies who are making billions of dollars a year.
Old 08-18-08, 05:09 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MazdaSteve
Before you start your own Jihad against those Arab Princes', maybe you would like to know that most of the money that comes out of your pocket when you're filling up goes to our government in the form of taxes, and to the big oil companies who are making billions of dollars a year.
. . . and WHERE is the money to purchase that oil coming from? Every drop of that overpriced oil has to be bought by the oil companies to be turned into gasoline and shipped to your local retailer.

Does anyone seriously think that the oil companies simply spend all of those billions on executive salaries and country club memberships?
Old 08-18-08, 07:27 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

it's upsetting because we have all this oil in Alaska...

but some people feel that hugging trees is a bit more important than our national dependency on foreign oil...
Old 08-18-08, 10:56 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
it's upsetting because we have all this oil in Alaska...

but some people feel that hugging trees is a bit more important than our national dependency on foreign oil...
It wouldn't lower prices for a long time...and there would be a long delay to actually get the oil pumping up...
Old 08-19-08, 06:35 AM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
That would be the ultimate strategy for them. Lets just hope they dont see that

I saw on the news that OPEC is already talking about lowering production.....soon.

The price of a barrel oil is getting too low for them to keep that production so high.
Old 08-19-08, 08:30 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by darkdream
It wouldn't lower prices for a long time...and there would be a long delay to actually get the oil pumping up...
it always takes time to get infrastructure up, but it's well worth it if they would do something about it
Old 08-19-08, 10:56 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil & Chaos

Two big things in this century,
I believe that we are entering a time in our lives where the events that take place will forever change our futures, everything from global economies to just the price of food is changing substantially. It's amazing to see to what lengths countries will go for the black gold, here's my saying paper is nothing but paper but to have something of real value that people need is power.

Great article
Old 08-21-08, 11:24 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Part of the recent spike is speculations, yes but part of it is also increased demand. We just have to see how much is speculation and how much is demand.

I just hope people don't start using more fuel and automakers start geting lazy when the fuel price drops.
Old 08-22-08, 12:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Nextourer

I just hope people don't start using more fuel and automakers start geting lazy when the fuel price drops.
I agree. I hope people continue to think about energy and don't go back to the "fock it" Mentality that is partially to blame for us in this mess.