Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Invites Aftermarket Tuners To Measure 2010 Genesis Coupe

Old 07-23-08, 07:02 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Hyundai Invites Aftermarket Tuners To Measure 2010 Genesis Coupe

Engineers from Garrett and Synapse Engineering take a long, hard look at the plumbing in the turbocharged 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

This yellow V6 Genesis coupe is a T2 prototype, meaning one step before preproduction. It's being measured for a car cover by reps from Coverking.

Techs from Wet Okole Hawaii are taking measurements for waterproof seat covers they're designing for the Genesis.

This is the final interior treatment for the Track models. The seats feature red cloth and black leather.

Hyundai is proud of these gunmetal-finish 19-inch wheels, which will be standard on the Track.

The strut tower brace identifies this four-cylinder turbo coupe as the Track version.

Understandably, the V6 takes up a lot more room in the engine bay, leaving less room for modifications.

Tuners took extensive photos of the turbocharged Genesis coupe during the measuring session.

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, California — Hyundai took a major step toward reinventing itself as a legitimate performance-car manufacturer by inviting 20 aftermarket companies to measure the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe today at its North American headquarters in Fountain Valley, California.

Hyundai Motor America officials called this the official SEMA measuring session for the company's rear-drive coupe, which is based on the shortened version of the 2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan platform.

"Normally, we've done this closer to the start of production," Wayne Killen, director of strategic product planning for Hyundai Motor America, told us. "But we really wanted the aftermarket companies to get a start on it."

The aftermarket companies ran the gamut, ranging from Wet Okole Hawaii, which makes waterproof seat covers, to Garrett-Honeywell and HKS.

You'll recall from the 2008 New York Auto Show that Hyundai will be offering both a 310-horsepower 3.8-liter V6 and a 223-hp, 2.0-liter, turbocharged, inline four-cylinder in the 2010 Genesis Coupe. Not surprisingly, the 2.0-liter turbo got most of the attention from the tuners, and since the engine itself is a direct relation of the 2.0-liter in the Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart and Evolution X, most weren't seeing it for the first time.

"I'm more excited about this than I am about that one," said John Espino of Gale Banks Engineering, while standing next to the turbo coupe. "If you look under the hood, there's more room to do stuff." However, he noted that his company is working on a supercharger for the V6 Genesis coupe, in addition to planned upgrades for the turbocharger and intercooler on the four-cylinder model.

"There's an engine mount underneath the turbocharger so that kind of limits how big you can go," Garrett's Brian Regnier told us. "But there's always a way around that." He said the main contingency for Garrett in developing turbo upgrades for the Genesis coupe is public reaction to Hyundai's first rear-wheel-drive coupe. "We'll wait to see what the reception for this vehicle is at track days," he noted.

Hyundai officials also confirmed today that the company will offer Track versions of both the four-cylinder turbo and the V6 coupe. "They'll be a low percentage of the mix," Joyce admitted, "but they will be uncompromised in their performance."

In addition to retuned suspension compared to the standard versions of the coupe, the Genesis Track models will pick up a front strut tower brace and a full set of Brembo brakes, including four-piston monobloc calipers up front.

Regardless of the engine underhood, Track models will come with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A summer tires, sized 225/40R19 up front and 245/40R19 in back. Non-Track Genesis coupes get 225/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE092As in front and 245/45s in back.

Hyundai also revealed some basic stats on the likely customer base today. The four-cylinder turbo coupe is predicted to draw an even mix of men and women, while the company anticipates an older, more affluent and 70 percent male crowd to embrace the V6 coupe. The highest-volume exterior color is expected to be Gray Titanium at 18 percent.

Known internally as "BK," the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe will go into production in December 2008 at Hyundai's Alsan, Korea, plant. Look for the cars to arrive at dealerships in early February 2009.

What this means to you: Hyundai hopes the 2010 Genesis Coupe will pick up where the Nissan 240SX left off, and is doing everything it can to ensure full aftermarket support when the coupe goes on sale. — Erin Riches, Senior Editor
Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=129812#2

It's nice to see a manufacturer open up to the community that helps spur sales, unlike our typically closed-door Lexus.
Old 07-23-08, 07:13 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dunno if i made the comment before or not but...

Old 07-23-08, 07:24 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah. i don't like the design at all.

clarkson was right. The designer sneezed............ several times.
Old 07-23-08, 11:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I think it will depend on the car color. That yellow pic looks great.
But the black grill and bottom intake area would probably look better if the car's a darker color.

Love those 19" rims.
Old 07-23-08, 11:24 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think it will depend on the car color. That yellow pic looks great.
But the black grill and bottom intake area would probably look better if the car's a darker color.

Love those 19" rims.
I agree. These brightly colored Genesis coupes are too eye-catchy for me. I like what Hyundai has done. I can't wait to see a new V8 Tiburon on the roads too.
Old 07-23-08, 11:43 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I kind of like the design, its kind of like the Tiburon, which I loved, but different enough to be a real eye catcher.
Old 07-23-08, 11:56 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Turbo I4 coupe ala Sylvia...bye bye Z.....
Old 07-24-08, 12:11 AM
LexT
Lead Lap

+1 bye bye Z....
a rear wheel drive 4g63 turbo coupe... it going to kick some serious a$$....
Old 07-24-08, 12:11 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Hyundai is really surprising me as well, I recently got transfered to a Hyundai dealer and test drove the new genesis a couple of times (sedan). And it feels awesome for the price.

I will post feedback asap after I drive the coupe. Hopefully the corporate guys bring one out for us to play with
Old 07-24-08, 12:33 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LexT
+1 bye bye Z....
a rear wheel drive 4g63 turbo coupe... it going to kick some serious a$$....

4g63 is gone (RIP).....it's 411BT now
Old 07-24-08, 12:40 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great move my Hyundai. Most people are not like me, but I often buy cars based on how easy it is to modify and how much after market support it has. I can't wait to see what after market goodies these cars will have.
Old 07-24-08, 04:28 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rollin'RX3
Hyundai is really surprising me as well, I recently got transfered to a Hyundai dealer and test drove the new genesis a couple of times (sedan). And it feels awesome for the price.
Sat in one (sedan) yesterday while getting my Sonata serviced (oil)... VERY nice...
Old 07-24-08, 04:59 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow I wonder if many other car manufacturers do this.
Old 07-24-08, 05:10 AM
Koma

Is it just me or is 310hp for a 3.8l V6 kinda weak.
I don't hate the design but it's kinda blah for me but for a RWD coupe and price it's great.
Old 07-24-08, 05:16 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Great move my Hyundai. Most people are not like me, but I often buy cars based on how easy it is to modify and how much after market support it has. I can't wait to see what after market goodies these cars will have.

Kudos to Hyundai. I for one think this is a GREAT looking car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hyundai Invites Aftermarket Tuners To Measure 2010 Genesis Coupe