Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IS-F review, WITH DESIGNER, on Speed channel

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-08, 07:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default IS-F review, WITH DESIGNER, on Speed channel

Maybe this is a re-run and has been talked about on here a zillion times already, but I just caught SpeedChannel's show about the IS-F including an interview with the Lexus IS-F lead engineer and test drive, IN JAPAN - very interesting and I thought it was great hearing him explain the design choices.

One thing I found interesting is that he said when in 'M' mode, the torque converter is turned OFF!

Great stuff.
Old 07-07-08, 08:09 PM
LexFather

THanks bit!!!

Old 07-07-08, 10:37 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

One thing I found interesting is that he said when in 'M' mode, the torque converter is turned OFF!

Great stuff.
Been said many times in the IS-F forum, yet critics still continue to bash the 8 speed auto, even though it performs like a real manual in 'M' mode (but faster).
Old 07-08-08, 04:29 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was up late the other day flipping channels and caught that also. Very cool to see those guys pushing the cars around the track. These guys were like less than 12" apart side to side around the turns!
Old 07-08-08, 04:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Been said many times in the IS-F forum, yet critics still continue to bash the 8 speed auto, even though it performs like a real manual in 'M' mode (but faster).
Depends on what you mean by the term "bash". I've driven and reviewed the IS-F myself, though not under track conditions, and have mixed feelings about the transmission myself. It does, as you indicate, have a crispness in sport-shifting, but I fail to see how 8 speeds, like in the LS460, are not simple overkill. And all that shifting up and down though all those gears could place more wear on the transmission itself and affect its service life.
Old 07-08-08, 06:42 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you mean the torque converter is "turned off"? In conventional transmission design you can't just turn it off - it's a very integrated piece in the entire power transfer process. You can LOCK it... which is all well and good... my 335i leaves the TC locked in sport mode effectively the entire time except possibly initial acceleration in first gear. It does have a manual like feel to it for an automatic, but it is still far from as crisp or direct as a manual or even a DSG transmission, and of course still has the power loss, weight, and reliability characteristics of an automatic as well.

With all that said I don't blame Lexus for using an auto - it was a fine choice. But it is not anything close to a manual regardless of the TC staying locked.
Old 07-08-08, 10:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Everyone keeps either raving about or bashing the 8 speed (I personally think its annoying), but everyone overlooking the real gem that Lexus has created that apparently gets no attention from the press or the enthusiasts. I'm talking about the CVT transmission that is found in GS450h and LS600h. In the past CVT transmissions were critisized for not being able to handle a lot of power, well Lexus changed that - its CVT in the LS600 handles over 400hp and insane torque from electric motors. There's just simply no reason for manuals or traditional auto transmissions anymore... the CVT is much much better.
Old 07-08-08, 12:10 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
What do you mean the torque converter is "turned off"? In conventional transmission design you can't just turn it off - it's a very integrated piece in the entire power transfer process. You can LOCK it... which is all well and good... my 335i leaves the TC locked in sport mode effectively the entire time except possibly initial acceleration in first gear. It does have a manual like feel to it for an automatic, but it is still far from as crisp or direct as a manual or even a DSG transmission, and of course still has the power loss, weight, and reliability characteristics of an automatic as well.

With all that said I don't blame Lexus for using an auto - it was a fine choice. But it is not anything close to a manual regardless of the TC staying locked.
Have you driven the IS-F yet?
Old 07-08-08, 12:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Threxx, maybe locked is what the IS-F lead engineer meant or it was lost in translation (he doesn't speak English).

And a light high performance TC (like the Precision Industries one I had on my GS, vs. the heavy clunker from Lexus) made it feel anything but slow. But yes, the electronics as well as the mechanism still dictates the overall feel.

And I've said it before but I wouldn't want a manual on a car as powerful as the IS-F - too jerky unless you slip the clutch a lot.
Old 07-08-08, 06:16 PM
LexFather

The IS-F tranny is a marvel. Its not just the LS 600h tranny inside. It has substantial additions.

I mean for goodness sakes, BMW only offered SMG in the M5 until recently, all AMG cars are autos and I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone can be faster in a manual IS-F than an Auto one (if they made one).

Hell I doubt the avg person would be faster in the IS-F with all trac control off compared to the VDIM setting.

Does anyone know the last year F1 uses manuals? I believe it was 1992.

Old 07-08-08, 06:45 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
The IS-F tranny is a marvel. Its not just the LS 600h tranny inside. It has substantial additions.

I mean for goodness sakes, BMW only offered SMG in the M5 until recently, all AMG cars are autos and I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone can be faster in a manual IS-F than an Auto one (if they made one).

Hell I doubt the avg person would be faster in the IS-F with all trac control off compared to the VDIM setting.

sometimes driving is NOT about speed though
its about the enjoyment of knowing your car and using every bit of it
and with a manual, you can get a bit more enjoyment out of it by having a more complete experience

and F1 still uses manuals
just automated manuals but technically it still counts as manual
Old 07-08-08, 07:50 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't F1's use DCT's?
Old 07-08-08, 07:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
That's because, in an F1 car, if it is not upshifted shifted or downshifted properly, the rear tires can break loose and throw the car into a spin, overpowering even ESC systems where they are allowed.
Old 07-08-08, 11:19 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's because, in an F1 car, if it is not upshifted shifted or downshifted properly, the rear tires can break loose and throw the car into a spin, overpowering even ESC systems where they are allowed.
It's also because those transmissions are faster, more efficient, and just better than stick shifts in every way. The manual transmission's last stand is that it is "more fun" to some car enthusiasts. There is very, very little advantage with a stick over any of the other transmission options from an engineering, performance, or practicality standpoint anymore.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 07-08-08 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-08-08, 11:55 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Yeah in M mode, the IS-F is a whole different vehicle. In D mode, it's just another silky smooth Lexus.

Quick Reply: IS-F review, WITH DESIGNER, on Speed channel