Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mini-Review.....2008 VW Passat 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-08, 07:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Mini-Review.....2008 VW Passat 2.0T

Well, guys, I'm back to reviewing new cars again....slowly. Sorry for the long delay....my right elbow has been weak and inflamed for weeks from a classic case of what is called "Mouse Elbow"...similiar to Tennis Elbow, where the tendons in the elbow get sore and inflamed from stress and overuse (yes, just like Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, it can and does happen with a computer mouse). I've avoided long use of the computer and stuck to fairly short posts for the last few weeks, doing more with my left hand as well. (I had this problem of computer stress and mouse elbow on my job as well....one of the many different reasons I retired when I did). The elbow is better now...but still not quite healed enough for one of my classic, extended-length reviews.

One of my two pastors is quite interested in the new 2008 Passat and asked me to look over and test-drive a gas-engine, automatic, 2.0 turbo four sedan (the standard engine in the U.S. since VW has not brought the Diesel Passat over from Europe yet...rumors say it is coming). I looked at, test-drove, and evaluated a roughly $32,000 Passat Lux today, the highest of the three 4-cylinder, U.S.-market trim levels......lesser 4-cylinder models start in the mid-20s. V6 and All-Wheel Drive models can run up to 40K. I'll discuss the car in detail with him personally, of course, but, since my right elbow is still not quite up to a full-length review, I thought I'd at least write up a mini-review of what the car was like and share it with you guys, and then take any individual questions you might have on the car.

In a Nutshell: Large, roomy, powerful, and plush, but with the always-questionable VW electronics and relability.

Outside, the Passat is a good chunk of vehicle.....by today's standards, a borderline mid/full size car; almost as large as the former luxury VW Phaeton. From a distance, the two are almost twins outside. The Passat's hood, trunk, doors, sheet metal, and trunk are all heavy and rock-solid in the German tradition, as are the exterior hardware and trim....especially the VW-symbol trunk release. The paint job is smooth and well-done.

Underhood, the transverse-engine layout and roominess and accessability is excellent, and the oil filter design is superb..... right up front, on top of the engine block behind the radiator. It is mounted straight up vertically, so the hot oil drains down out of it when the engine shuts off and then you just unscrew it and pull it right off.

Inside, the Lux interior is rich-looking on the dash, gauges, and console, with a wood-tone, dash-wide trim strip and brushed-metal/chrome trim under that (you could easily mistake its dash for that of a Buick), though, while plush-looking, the trim materials don't feel as solid as the old Passat. The door trim lacks the rich look of the dash and console, and is quite plain. The front seats have rich leather, but are flat, with little side support. Headroom and driving position can be a little tricky for tall drivers...the design of the lower dash, combined with the high seating position and low sunroof housing, means that you may, as I did, have to fiddle around quite a bit with the power seat controls and manual tilt/telescope steering wheel (which fortunately, has a VERY wide range of adjustment) to get fitted in comfortably without hitting your knees on the lower dash. In back, room is excellent.....virtually limo-like. Gauge lights are the usual VW-style blue and red. The stereo is excellent, with equally excellent, easy-to use, buttons/***** (they should all be like this). Ditto for the dual-zone climate controls, controls right under the stereo.

In back, The trunk has a Rock-of-Gibraltar-solid trunk lid and release. The trunk opening, like on most of today's sedans, is compromised a little by the rear roof slant, but the trunk is roomy and quite deep. It also is well-finished with high-grade carpet and nice cargo nets.

To start it up, you insert a square electronic "key" in the hole and push it. On the road, the 2.0L turbo four is a real powerhouse for its size. Trust me, even with the automatic and air conditioning on this warm afternoon, this car WILL get out of its own way....and then some. It pulls and accelerates stronger than a number of normally aspirated V6's I've tried....even on this large, heavy car. The 200 HP/207 ft-lbs. torque figures, I think, are underrated...it's got to be running more than that. The optional 3.6L V6, IMO, is clearly not needed on this car.......I think most of you would be happy with the four. VW says regular gas can be used in this year's version, but the computer, of course, will detune the engine and lose some performance....premium gas is best. The conventional 6-speed sport-shift automatic is smooth and quiet, but the shifter felt somewhat sloppy. Why VW/Audi won't offer the superb, ultra-efficient DSG (Direct-Shift-Gearbox) on the Passat or the 4-Motion All-Wheel Drive on many vehicles with this powerhouse of a four is beyond me.....the spunk is clearly there to handle the weight and drag of AWD.

Handling, with the FWD nose-heaviness and somewhat numb steering feel, is naturally well short of the classic sharpness of its German BMW competition. It is not bad by family-sedan FWD standards, but, if you are looking for a BMW 3 or 5-series competitor, look elsewhere. Body roll is reasonably well-snubbed, but some is noticeable. Wind and road noise are fairly well insulated, at least with the particular tires on this car. Brakes are also well short of BMW firmness, with noticeable sponginess and free pedal travel, but afterwards bite fairly well. Ride quality was borderline firm, but with some fairly good bump absorbtion. Sitting behind the wheel, the car's large size is not very noticeable, as the large hood slants down enough that little of it is visible ahead, and you can clearly see the road right in front of you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-08 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-01-08, 09:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have the Acura TL-S 6MT you guys requested on my review list as well, but I'm waiting for a full elbow recovery and the availability of a 6MT version for a full review, not just a mini-one like above. If I can't get a 6MT, I'll do the sport-shift automatic
Old 07-01-08, 10:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Great review mmarshall, of a great car.

You say "with the always-questionable VW electronics and relability" - is that based on Consumer Reports ratings?

I know MANY people with VWs who have ZERO problems. Of course just anecdotal but I would not hesitate to own a VW.

And you're right, that 2.0T is a jewel.
Old 07-01-08, 10:26 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mini-reviews are still good. Maybe a tad longer but given the state of your elbow, I'd say you've done well. Thanks again! Never driven the 2.0T but nice to know it's a great engine!
Old 07-02-08, 05:56 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the 2.0T is amazing -- its in my Audi TT - and supposedly has closer to 211 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque....and will be rated as such for 2009 (Audi) models.

Last edited by bagwell; 07-02-08 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-02-08, 07:36 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome back, Mike!

I was wondering where you've been...

I'm suprised about your comment on size. In Toyota terms, is the interior size of the Passat more like a Camry or like an Avalon?
Old 07-02-08, 08:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

You say "with the always-questionable VW electronics and relability" - is that based on Consumer Reports ratings?

I know MANY people with VWs who have ZERO problems. Of course just anecdotal but I would not hesitate to own a VW.

CR gives the new Passat a good review, but doesn't recommend any versions of it due to reliability issues.

Maybe that will change. The Audi A4 showed improvement in their ratings.
Old 07-02-08, 08:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Thanks. I found few real driving problems, though I didn't like the brake-pedal sponginess or the contort-'em driving position with the power seats and telescoping steering wheel.

Well, I know the sales and service people at the VW/Subaru shop I was at today (the same shop where I bought my Outback and have shopped with family and neighbors for other Subarus), so, with this shop, I wouldn't mind owning a VW either, because I know they stand behind them, but I'm not sure I'd buy a VW at a strange dealership. In my D.C area, seems like half the VWs on the road have burned-out lights, circuits, and other electronic problems. The service manager at my shop tells me they are forever coming in with wiring, bulb, connector, and relay problems. They do almost 6 times the amount of warranty work on the new VWs there, at that shop, that they do on new Subarus. Consumer Reports, to an extent, verifies that, though, like me, they generally rate the car highly. But CR does not recommend any car that doesn't pass their reliability tests....and that, sometimes, with a new model, takes time to establish.

Of course, not every new VW is troublesome. I'm glad your neighbors got some good ones.

Yes, and there is little if any turbo lag. It has roughly the same response as a 250-270 HP N/A V6....but, naturally, being a four, a little more engine noise and less smoothness.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-08 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-02-08, 08:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Welcome back, Mike!

I was wondering where you've been...
Talking nonsense in the DEBATE forum

I'm suprised about your comment on size. In Toyota terms, is the interior size of the Passat more like a Camry or like an Avalon?
In front, more like a Camry....and it shares the Camry's protruding lower-front dash that makes knee clearance tricky for tall people. In back, more like an Avalon....or even better. The wood-tone Lux dash trim, however (see the photo above), is nicer, IMO than any U.S.-market, non-Lexus, Toyota-badged model currently in production....but, like most cars today, is rather plasticky underneath. The nice looks are all on the surface....coated plastic.
Old 07-02-08, 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
the 2.0T is amazing -- its in my Audi TT - and supposedly has closer to 211 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque....and will be rated as such for 2009 (Audi) models.
Exactly. I myself, from the throttle response, guessed its actual torque figure from 250-270 ft-lbs. VW may have downplayed it for tax or insurance reasons (some countries tax high power levels).
Old 07-02-08, 12:23 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great mini review

i almost bought a brand new passat a couple of years ago when this new one first came out

but went with my 01 GS300 instead

i know you are not supposed to compare used car with brand new car but for me, it was money wise to go with the 01 GS300
Old 07-02-08, 01:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UberNoob
great mini review
Thanks.

i almost bought a brand new passat a couple of years ago when this new one first came out

but went with my 01 GS300 instead

i know you are not supposed to compare used car with brand new car but for me, it was money wise to go with the 01 GS300
You saved on depreciation, of course, and on personal property car taxes in areas (like mine) that have them. Usually a new car is more reliable, but given the Lexus record of reliability, particularly on older models like your GS, and VW's record of unreliability, even that is not necessarily a given anymore.
Old 07-03-08, 11:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Mini-reviews are still good. Maybe a tad longer but given the state of your elbow, I'd say you've done well. Thanks again! Never driven the 2.0T but nice to know it's a great engine!
Sure. Anytime.

The 2.0T is available in a number of VW-Audi products. It's a real powerhouse for its size, and is one of the strongest fours I've driven, short of the 290-300 HP Subaru STI and Mitsubishi Evo. Why VW and Audi have the AWD marketing restrictions on it beats me.
Old 07-03-08, 12:01 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have the Acura TL-S 6MT you guys requested on my review list as well, but I'm waiting for a full elbow recovery and the availability of a 6MT version for a full review, not just a mini-one like above. If I can't get a 6MT, I'll do the sport-shift automatic
You'll definitely want the MT, whole different car.
Old 07-03-08, 12:31 PM
LexFather

Very good review Mike, glad you are feeling better. This is a car that many people "sleep" on, like the Legacy.

Quick Reply: Mini-Review.....2008 VW Passat 2.0T