Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

License Plates in Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-08, 08:12 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by drpepper
DL info (with name, city and state) is available online

Put your own name in and see.
lol.. This link is comical

I guess some folks are afraid to become the next "Nick form NSX Prime." Remember him? Just keep it real and you will have no worries..

Just to quell the misconceptions, the average Joe can't walk into DMV and request informations on other drivers. The (DPPA) Federal Driver's privacy protection Act regulates access to motor vehicle records. Permissable useage/access is applicable to the Insurance support organizations, governmental agencies (fed state city), self insured entities, pursuant to court order, and to those who get written consent by of the motorist in question.
Old 06-27-08, 12:11 PM
artkrime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think those DMV reports tell them I am a marine w/ an armory at home
Old 06-28-08, 01:34 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
cant they get your plate number while behind you in traffic ?
That's makes the most sense to me. If a crook is going to do license plate based crime, I'd think the most fertile hunting ground would be the potential thousands of vehicles they might see on any given day.
Old 06-28-08, 01:41 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Makes no sense these days. Used to be someone could look up a plate and get information such as lien holder, home address, etc. But most states have cracked down on that.
But I can jot down 5k plates all day long in LA traffic.

Also, keep in mind that if selling a car and claiming to be the owner for years yet the plate series is newer may bring up questions in peoples minds.
Old 06-28-08, 01:49 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Just to quell the misconceptions, the average Joe can't walk into DMV and request informations on other drivers.
Yeah, that does seem to be the case here in MD, at least on a cursory check. It's listed as protected information accessible to to "authorized entities." The examples listed are law enforcement, courts, and (oddly IMO) "research/recalls."

It also doesn't seem to me, at least in my non-criminal mind, that even if there are places where an information request can be made by anybody, thieves aren't generally going to want to walk into a govt office and request information on someone they intend to commit a crime against. A record of their request would be created.
Old 06-28-08, 10:17 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
True, but when people advertise their mod list esp. on their signatures and such here on CL...you're doing the exact same thing if not more, sadly.
Exactly my point. Yeah some people do advertise their mod list here on CL, and that makes them, IMO, a lil more susceptable to being on the hit list thru tag tracking.

Dr.Pepper,, I agree with you also, but you and I both know that most of the time when info like this is gotten from a DMV, normally the potential thief has someone who works behind the counter and is taking a little extra for running the info. because they DO have access to it. Was pretty much written off to "Dealer/lien holder inquiry". I too live in Md, Baltimore to be exact, and I know for a fact that alot of the employees at various locations, especially Glen Burnie, were doing this. There was a big crackdown investigation about it about a year ago here.

Last edited by trukn1; 06-28-08 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-28-08, 10:24 PM
Supraman1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because im paranoid does not mean there out to get me.
Old 06-29-08, 01:23 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by trukn1
you and I both know that most of the time when info like this is gotten from a DMV, normally the potential thief has someone who works behind the counter and is taking a little extra for running the info
I missed the news and totally wasn't thinking about the inside confederate angle

But that's how crime is successful, staying ahead of the angles most are considering.
Old 06-29-08, 01:25 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Supraman1
Just because im paranoid does not mean there out to get me.
So true, and that's why even though I asked the question and doubt the danger, if I post pictures of my car, I just might obscure my plates
Old 12-21-12, 07:05 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default why do people block out license plates when posting pics of their car?

just curious why people do this online when they drive around with the plates in full view of everyone
Old 12-21-12, 07:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I usually don't but I guess some feel it's a security thing and it is.
A cop relative or friend can run a plate and find out where you live.
Old 12-21-12, 11:36 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

well, since this is a car forum, we often discuss the modifications/track days/street races we have done to our cars. Any one of these three things i just mention might be used against you if your car is total/broken down.

Its a slim chance that the insurance company figures out you didn't really get into an accident, but instead you were racing it; and there's a very slim chance that your dealership will know you modify your car and void your warranty. But why take that slim chance, just block out your license plate and all these scenarios go out the window.

With your license plate block out, no one can associate your car with anything that you say/show on this forum be that for better or worst
Old 12-21-12, 01:05 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
well, since this is a car forum, we often discuss the modifications/track days/street races we have done to our cars. Any one of these three things i just mention might be used against you if your car is total/broken down.

Its a slim chance that the insurance company figures out you didn't really get into an accident, but instead you were racing it; and there's a very slim chance that your dealership will know you modify your car and void your warranty. But why take that slim chance, just block out your license plate and all these scenarios go out the window.

With your license plate block out, no one can associate your car with anything that you say/show on this forum be that for better or worst
I don't street race or have any illegal mods or anything else to hide.