Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cost of gas, soccer-mom image doom minivans

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 04:23 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
But 1 thing I thought of... about fuel economy...
it's only beneficial to have a mini-van WHEN you have full load/more passengers then 5... other wise if you usually drive around with 2/3 people, might as well get a small sedan?

Though I'd be hitting myself as I drive around myself in a GS. :P
So--you just go rent a van every time you need more room? Maybe cheaper but a colossal PITA.

Even with 2 little kids, with booster/child seat rules, a sedan leaves no extra room. What if little Billy is going to have a friend come over after school, and you need to pick him up? I bet even a Toyota Avalon would be difficult to fit, say, 3 booster seats across. What if he wants to bring his bike? It's just not practical. It's not like when many of us were kids, and everyone had a station wagon, and all the kids rode loose in the "way back".
Old 06-10-08, 04:26 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
And no, it isn't a bimmer or even a lexus but it was not as awful as the first gen minivans. To get the utility of the minivan, there are some tradeoffs. Having the CoG about a meter above the roof is one of them. But they have remarkable utility. I suspect that if it weren't for the young males who are not daddies deciding that theirs really will be smaller than the next guys if they get a mini van, these things would sell quite a bit better. I find them easier to get in and out of than sputes as well. A business associate has a Sienna and it is a lot easier to get in and out of than a friends Navigator.
I'd argue that a Sienna XLE Limited is equivalent to a Lexus.
Old 06-10-08, 10:29 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'd argue that a Sienna XLE Limited is equivalent to a Lexus.
Interior wise you may be right and it seems to me that the neighbor I had who last bought a Sienna paid over 50K for it. But it is never going to drive like a bimmer or Lexus sedan.