Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Civic is the Best Selling Vehicle in the United States

Old 06-05-08, 09:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

He did say "one of the best" not 'the best". That changes things entirely.

And the Civic IS one of the best along with the camry, accord, Lexus LS-series. They are just some of the cars that are held with high regards to the automotive community. There are no "best" at all.
Old 06-05-08, 10:15 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoLe
^camry hybrid and honda also has accord hybrid but accord hybrid is not doing as well as the camry.
Honda axed the Accord Hybrid, rumors exist of a diesel iDTEC Accord though. They didn't get the goals of a hybrid down in the Accord - the CiHy and Insight were more successful.
Old 06-05-08, 10:17 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
i will say the ONLY thing that appeals to every buyer about the civic, is fuel economy, its looks, both inside and out are all subjective to opinion...and there are alot out there that dont like them.

the 2008 civic prices are as follows:

2008 Honda Civic DX-1.8L R18 I-Vtec SOHC I-4
(Base, no AC, no auto, am FM radio w/ cassette, 8 airbags standard)

$17,900

2008 Honda Civic LX 1.8L R18 I-Vtec SOHC I-4
Steel Wheels w/hubcaps, avail A/C, Auto trans/windows/locks/cruise/tilt

$19,150

2008 Honda Civic EX: 1.8L R18 I-Vtec SOHC I-4
16" Wheels, A/C, auto trans, Available Navigation, 8 CD changer, AUX Input in stereo, Power Moonroof.

$20,140

2000 Honda Civic Si 2.0L K20ZA i-Vtec DOHC I-4
17" wheels, everything all models have except the hybrid + 6 spd manny, avail navi, body kit, spoiler, foglights, 204HP 2.0L I-4.

~$26,000

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid
Everything the EX has except the moonroof and the wheels. they hybrids have special wheels that way 8lbs each WITH special LRR tires...

$23,500
Keep in mind Honda only offers NAV in the EX/EX-L/Hybrid trim.
Old 06-05-08, 10:55 PM
LexFather

I may not like how the Civic looks or its image but you CANNOT argue against it, sorry. Its one of the best affordable cars you can buy. Honda really went an extra step with most of it, except the suspension.

Old 06-05-08, 11:57 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I may not like how the Civic looks or its image but you CANNOT argue against it, sorry. Its one of the best affordable cars you can buy. Honda really went an extra step with most of it, except the suspension.
I think so too. The Corolla's too obese looking and even though I think Toyota's drivetrains are lightyears ahead of Honda, the Civic is hands down a fun to drive car - even a LX 5-speed.
Old 06-05-08, 11:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by nthach
I think so too. The Corolla's too obese looking and even though I think Toyota's drivetrains are lightyears ahead of Honda, the Civic is hands down a fun to drive car - even a LX 5-speed.
I saw a new one today, it continues the way too tall and to thin look, like the last version or an Infinit M35/45. Awful balance in the styling.

Old 06-06-08, 07:24 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I stop by the biggest Honda dealer in my area today and took an estimated note on inventory of Civics.

DX - won't find anywhere - basically have to special order
In fact, out of the 10,000 or so 8th gen Civic's I've seen to date, not one has been a DX.

LX - about 20 on the lot (lowest stock I've seen here)

EX - about 30 on the lot (dealers always love to stock the expensive ones)

Si - 2 sedans, 3 coupes

and the reason why I went to the dealer and why I'm posting this is the...

Hybrid stock - ZERO. I guess I shouldn't be surprised because of the sharp May spike in gas prices and sales but why do automakers continue to not provide what customers want?? Honda dealers should have 20 Civic hybrids on hand at all times.

And now, the Prius is back on a waiting list after being out for 5 years.

But GM, for example, continues to build Hummers when they are rotting on lots.

I'm beginning to believe that automakers and dealers secretly don't want to sell vehicles. Or they simply don't pay attention to the market and customer wants.
Old 06-06-08, 08:38 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4

I'm beginning to believe that automakers and dealers secretly don't want to sell vehicles. Or they simply don't pay attention to the market and customer wants.
its really sad to me...
Old 06-07-08, 12:12 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

So I stop by the biggest Honda dealer in my area today and took an estimated note on inventory of Civics.

DX - won't find anywhere - basically have to special order
In fact, out of the 10,000 or so 8th gen Civic's I've seen to date, not one has been a DX.

LX - about 20 on the lot (lowest stock I've seen here)

EX - about 30 on the lot (dealers always love to stock the expensive ones)

Si - 2 sedans, 3 coupes

and the reason why I went to the dealer and why I'm posting this is the...

Hybrid stock - ZERO. I guess I shouldn't be surprised because of the sharp May spike in gas prices and sales but why do automakers continue to not provide what customers want?? Honda dealers should have 20 Civic hybrids on hand at all times.

And now, the Prius is back on a waiting list after being out for 5 years.

LXs have been FLYING off our lot. We only have 1 DX, 10 EXs, 6 Hybrids with 3 more at storage, 3 each EX-L and Si.
Old 06-07-08, 12:21 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeaa.. pretty much all my friends who bought new cars got hondas.

congrats to them
Old 06-07-08, 06:30 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
LXs have been FLYING off our lot. We only have 1 DX, 10 EXs, 6 Hybrids with 3 more at storage, 3 each EX-L and Si.

Wow, I guess Honda sends all the hybrids to California! And did your dealer actually order a DX??? Like I said above, I've seen around 10,000 8th gen Civic's but never a DX! It's weird because in older generations, the DX sold like hotcakes. But now that the Civic is almost not even an "economy car" anymore, most buyers start with the well equiped $18K LX.

That brings me to another point about the Civic. Have you guys noticed the range of people now buying the Civic. Honda has broken out of the "economy car" look and perception of the Civic and now sells to people who are able to buy more expensive vehicles. I see business people in suits all the time in the new Civic. You wouldn't see that much in the previous gens.
Old 06-07-08, 10:35 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Wow, I guess Honda sends all the hybrids to California! And did your dealer actually order a DX??? Like I said above, I've seen around 10,000 8th gen Civic's but never a DX! It's weird because in older generations, the DX sold like hotcakes. But now that the Civic is almost not even an "economy car" anymore, most buyers start with the well equiped $18K LX.

That brings me to another point about the Civic. Have you guys noticed the range of people now buying the Civic. Honda has broken out of the "economy car" look and perception of the Civic and now sells to people who are able to buy more expensive vehicles. I see business people in suits all the time in the new Civic. You wouldn't see that much in the previous gens.
I actually like the direction Honda is headed towards, away from the boy racer/ricer stereotypes. It just looks good for a car of its class, the cabin feels good for its price range and it's a Honda too.
Old 06-10-08, 03:13 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
ACTUALLY...it is...

sorry just had to rub it in.
no worries. Do correct me. I pride myself in having correct information so if I mention something and it isn't right, let me know so I won't make that mistake again =). Thanks!

Anyway, that's a great feature, the one-touch. MY friend's TSX isn't one-touch
Old 06-10-08, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

When I reviewed a Civic Hybrid in the VA/DC suburbs a couple of months ago, there were three of them sitting on the dealer's lot, right in front of me, unsold. All I had to do was pick one out, ask for the keys, and go.

It's weird because in older generations, the DX sold like hotcakes. But now that the Civic is almost not even an "economy car" anymore, most buyers start with the well equiped $18K LX.
People choose the LX over the DX, not because of the economy status or image factor, but mostly because they consider the LX a better value in what it gives you for the money.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-10-08 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-10-08, 05:34 PM
LexFather

I swear I'm seeing these things all over the road now, 80% of them in the fast lane, so what gas are you really saving? Looks have not grown on me at all.

Mazda 3 please!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honda Civic is the Best Selling Vehicle in the United States