Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you NOT like about Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 04:19 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just on my LS...

1. Gas fill-up on the right side.
2. Heated seats apparently dont work.
3. Red bulbs for my R/C/R tails are pink looking at night.
4. Drivers' side headlight has small (blunt pencil tip) hole in it.
Old 05-13-08, 05:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Boy do I have a loooooooooong list, lol. I'm listing items in the order of priority.

1) Bring back old quality interiors. Right now SC430 has the best interior out of the entire lineup. Sure, LS460 has more gadgets, but built quality and materials are not up to par with SC430 and old LS430, especially LS430 ultra edition.

2) Kill L-finesse. Bring back the truly original designs that truly stand out. The current designs are slick soapboxes that look like everything else on the road.

3) Kill drive by wire and electronic power steering. Bring back mechanical ps and throttle cable.

4) Bring back signature HID/Yellow fog combo. These look just plain out sick on 2GS and 1IS.

5) Make LS and ES models more comfotable and smoother, bring them back to the original roots with 16" wheels with high profile tires.

6) Make GS more sporty. Have the ES compete with E class and GS compete with 5 series more directly.

7) Bring AWD to the entire lineup. Seriously, I don't know about other states, but here in NYC pretty much 90% of 2IS and 3GS I see on the road are AWD models - IS250awd, GS300/350awd. I barely ever see regular IS250/GS300/GS350.

8) Put the ES on AWD platform, even if its FWD based. Then noone would be able to insult the ES by calling it a glorified Camry.

9) More engine choices. No four banger please (unless it goes in a dedicated lightweight sporty model, for instance a Lexus version of the old MR2). But make more small displacement fuel efficient 6 cylinders, and more powerful V8's. Look at BMW, you can get a 5 series with a 2.8, 3.0, 3.0TT and 4.8 engine. Not to mention the 5L V10.

10) Get rid of the GX and make a large crossover SUV, similar to Acura MDX.

11) Give us a true coupe and a true roadster. Make an LS, ES, IS and perhaps even GS versions of a coupe. Of course make them all available with convertible option. Mercedes has a coupe based on pretty much every one of their sedans, and while none of them are huge sellers, they are steady sellers, and steady sources of profit. And turn the current SC into a true luxury roadster, without rear seat, but with more space upfront and bigger trunk.

12) Give us a few sports cars. Perhaps a small lightweight agile toy similar to mr2/elise/s2k and a hybrid all out supercar.

And a also, expand the hybrid lineup. I know hybrids aren't profitable yet, but start pushing them, and they will sell eventually turning profit. Make hybrid option available on every engine, currently the 2.5, both 3.5s and 4.6/5.0.

And the last, but not the least:
Do not make cute utes!
Do not step down to BMW level and make a cheap pos like 1 series.
Old 05-13-08, 05:49 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

easy, give me the BMW steering feel and chassis control.
Old 05-13-08, 05:53 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Oh yeah, one more thing... Lexus seems to have a CVT transmission that is able to handle AWD and 430hp in a nearly five ton LS600. Why are they still bothering with the 8 speed and other nonsense? Why not just put that CVT in every car they build?
Old 05-13-08, 06:11 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Boy do I have a loooooooooong list, lol. I'm listing items in the order of priority.

1) Bring back old quality interiors. Right now SC430 has the best interior out of the entire lineup. Sure, LS460 has more gadgets, but built quality and materials are not up to par with SC430 and old LS430, especially LS430 ultra edition.

2) Kill L-finesse. Bring back the truly original designs that truly stand out. The current designs are slick soapboxes that look like everything else on the road.

3) Kill drive by wire and electronic power steering. Bring back mechanical ps and throttle cable.

4) Bring back signature HID/Yellow fog combo. These look just plain out sick on 2GS and 1IS.

5) Make LS and ES models more comfotable and smoother, bring them back to the original roots with 16" wheels with high profile tires.

6) Make GS more sporty. Have the ES compete with E class and GS compete with 5 series more directly.

7) Bring AWD to the entire lineup. Seriously, I don't know about other states, but here in NYC pretty much 90% of 2IS and 3GS I see on the road are AWD models - IS250awd, GS300/350awd. I barely ever see regular IS250/GS300/GS350.

8) Put the ES on AWD platform, even if its FWD based. Then noone would be able to insult the ES by calling it a glorified Camry.

9) More engine choices. No four banger please (unless it goes in a dedicated lightweight sporty model, for instance a Lexus version of the old MR2). But make more small displacement fuel efficient 6 cylinders, and more powerful V8's. Look at BMW, you can get a 5 series with a 2.8, 3.0, 3.0TT and 4.8 engine. Not to mention the 5L V10.

11) Give us a true coupe and a true roadster. Make an LS, ES, IS and perhaps even GS versions of a coupe. Of course make them all available with convertible option. Mercedes has a coupe based on pretty much every one of their sedans, and while none of them are huge sellers, they are steady sellers, and steady sources of profit. And turn the current SC into a true luxury roadster, without rear seat, but with more space upfront and bigger trunk.

12) Give us a few sports cars. Perhaps a small lightweight agile toy similar to mr2/elise/s2k and a hybrid all out supercar.

And a also, expand the hybrid lineup. I know hybrids aren't profitable yet, but start pushing them, and they will sell eventually turning profit. Make hybrid option available on every engine, currently the 2.5, both 3.5s and 4.6/5.0.

Do not make cute utes!
Wow... it's amazing how you read my mind like a book. I have nothing more to add and nothing less to concur.
Old 05-13-08, 06:13 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No diesels... :/
Old 05-13-08, 06:16 PM
LexFather

What I don't like about Lexus is the people who don't like Lexus. lol

I'll have my list later

Old 05-13-08, 06:23 PM
B Dot
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the GS def needs to be sportier it seems to have lost its way the 1998-02 or 03 is my fav design. They need a manual transmission in the IS 350 and F and redesign the SC already lol
Old 05-13-08, 06:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by B Dot
I think the GS def needs to be sportier it seems to have lost its way the 1998-02 or 03 is my fav design. They need a manual transmission in the IS 350 and F and redesign the SC already lol
what about the gs makes it not as sportier now? i am curious. i had gs400 and now gs350, if anything, the gs350 totally blows away the 2gs in terms of sport handling and sporty support
Old 05-13-08, 06:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
what about the gs makes it not as sportier now? i am curious. i had gs400 and now gs350, if anything, the gs350 totally blows away the 2gs in terms of sport handling and sporty support
Really? I found the gs350 more sloppy than my gs430, but I didnt drive it extensively.
Old 05-13-08, 06:58 PM
B Dot
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

In my opinion the last gen GS was the sportier then the new one. I drove my friends 01 GS 430 and it felt better then the new GS to me. On top of the fact the new GS got a decent bump in Horsepower but isnt really any faster then the last gen GS.
Old 05-13-08, 07:59 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Hasn't an IS coupe been all but confirmed?
Perhaps I shouldn't have insisted on putting that period in between. I want a 2-seater fixed-roof coupe.
Old 05-13-08, 08:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Great points so far.

Originally Posted by gengar
However, I will echo mmarshall's point that stiff suspension, and perhaps even handling and steering feel, should be limited to Lexus' performance models. One of the most enjoyable features of my LS430 is that it is actually disconnected from the road.
Exactly. I always called the LS the "magic carpet". It should stay that way. It CAN become more capable with more sophisticated active suspension though, but wheel/tire choice is also CRITICAL. And run flats (which I don't think are on any LS version) suck and Lexus should stay away from them.
Old 05-13-08, 09:08 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

undersized brakes of full size sedans
Old 05-13-08, 09:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

Do not make cute utes!
I think you are DEAD RIGHT! Way to go!

Quick Reply: What do you NOT like about Lexus?