Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are Hybrids worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 02:31 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree. You can't simply compare MSRP. You have to get the two cars as close in options as you possibly can then compare the prices. You also can't simply compare MSRP either. Unless you are the type of person who only and always pays MSRP for their cars. You have to compare actual selling price. If similarly equipped Camry's were selling for $1000 over invoice and the average day, and the same similarly equipped Camry Hybrid's are still selling for $500 under MSRP, that is a couple thousand dollar difference in real world prices.

As the OP mentioned, it would be nice if some of these economy bread hybrids actually had fairly stripped down trims offered. Many of them, including the Prius have a lot of added on standard options that DO add cost to the vehicle. Sometimes people looking to buy a hybrid are the ones that can't afford the gas prices and thus looking for much more fuel efficient cars. They may not want or be able to afford all those standard options in the hybrid version. You probably could knock off $2-$4K off the MSRP without some of these options. This is why I sometimes say those that really need and could benefit from hybrid cars often can't afford them.
Old 05-13-08, 03:32 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think on a purely fuel consumption basis that hybrids justify their extra expense at the moment. I can't help thinking that at the moment hybrid drivers are actually paying to be guinea pigs for this new technology.

Where the hybrid case does start to add up is when you throw in other factors - in the UK you pay annual road tax based on CO2 emissions - so you save there, and schemes like the London Congestion Charge were free for hybrid vehicles - so you saved $16 a day there. Lots of people in London chopped in their Range Rovers for Lexus RX400hs for the savings there.
Old 05-13-08, 04:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pitmanr200
i didnt add any options. sut base on both of them and that was from toyota.com. 19000 for regular camry and 27000 for hybrid. Maybe I did something wrong, but thats what I got on there sight.

http://www.toyota.com/camry/trims-prices.html

I see what your saying about hybrid having more stuff, but the thing is I cant get it 2000 dollars cheaper than base camry. they should offer a hybrid that has nothing on it but basic power.

As for the prius. I wouldnt drive it, not my style. Im saying hybrids that I would drive. Not all people want to drive a car the size of a yugo. I like a little room to breath. Also how safe are these small cars compared to bigger cars? They may be just as safe, I dont know, but if not do we sacrifice our safety and our famillies safety for a little savings at the pump. These hybrids really arent that practical being they are really good for intown driving which means long trips your bigger car is just as good. So now you have to own a work car and a weekend car. thats insurance and service on both cars. Still a savings?
But you need to compare apples to apples. If you are going to do that, why not compare a base Camry with an LS600h? What you are doing is taking the hybrid out of the equation, and just determining whether you would prefer to buy a more expensive car.

The question is whether the HYBRID is worth it.
Old 05-13-08, 04:52 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not own a hybrid simply because I don't believe in the technology. I fail to see the benefits (except for a big tax credit) of a hybrid. I don't think hybrid technology will play out much longer. Manufacturers know how to build economical cars without hybrid technology.

We are still playing HP wars and manufacturers need to begin a new war, a war of who can build the most powerful, fuel efficient cars.

Hybrids are green, right? Here's my thoughts.
1. Emissions technology in gasoline engines is so advanced than some of todays engines run almost 0 emissions. The air coming out the tailpipe is actually cleaner than the going in. What is the point of a hybrid with this kind of technology? I believe that in 10 years, we'll be building cars who's emissions will be so small it won't be able to be measured. (basically 0). Where will hybrids be, then?

2. Hybrid technology is more fuel efficient, right? Not according to the actual owners of hybrids. Generally speaking, hybrids could possibly get better gas mileage depending on driving habits. Many have found that hybrids don't get the fuel mileage that they were expecting. Hybrid fuel mileage is not leaps and bound better than non hybrid mileage, sometimes, worse. It is my feeling that Toyota has the capability to build a non-hybrid type Prius that is just as powerful and fuel efficient as the hybrid version.

3. We build big, powerful cars and then say "Hey, let's make a hybrid version, with even more power, but fuel mileage remains the same". What's wrong with "Hey, let's design the engine for even more fuel efficiency and lighten the car up a bit so it will get better gas mileage AND be faster than the hybrid version"? It would certainly be more cost effective. I never understood this train of thought in building hybrids. The LS460L and the Yukon come to mind.

Dollars spent on designing more powerful, yet, fuel efficient engines would pale in comparison to the dollars already spent on hybrid technology. I just feel that hybrid technology is useless, mechanically too complex, heavy, and expensive. Not what I look for in a car.
Old 05-13-08, 05:05 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

It's worth it if your round trip commute is more than 100-120 miles a day.
Old 05-13-08, 07:55 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Prius' now start at $21100...not bad....when I bought one in 2006, I also got the full tax credit of $3150 which I believe in now gone. The Prius is actually classified as a MIDSIZE car -- larger than the Lexus IS!!!!

I sold it about a year later when I found a 2000 Honda Insight with 47K miles for $8500.

I drive 55 miles RT a day and am averaging 72.1 MPG over the 17000 miles I've owned the car [I also carpool every single day with my wife].

This car more than pays for itself in the gas savings alone!!!!!!!!!

I routinely get over 700+ miles on a tank of gas (record is 970 when I topped it off 100%); I can usually squeeze in 10 gallons.

I fill it up about every 3 weeks.

Note - battery under warranty for 10 years 150000 miles

SO ARE HYBRIDS WORTH IT TO ME????? HELL YES!!!!!!

I like to screw the oil companies as much as I can.
Old 05-13-08, 07:59 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I agree. You can't simply compare MSRP. You have to get the two cars as close in options as you possibly can then compare the prices. You also can't simply compare MSRP either. Unless you are the type of person who only and always pays MSRP for their cars. You have to compare actual selling price. If similarly equipped Camry's were selling for $1000 over invoice and the average day, and the same similarly equipped Camry Hybrid's are still selling for $500 under MSRP, that is a couple thousand dollar difference in real world prices.

As the OP mentioned, it would be nice if some of these economy bread hybrids actually had fairly stripped down trims offered. Many of them, including the Prius have a lot of added on standard options that DO add cost to the vehicle. Sometimes people looking to buy a hybrid are the ones that can't afford the gas prices and thus looking for much more fuel efficient cars. They may not want or be able to afford all those standard options in the hybrid version. You probably could knock off $2-$4K off the MSRP without some of these options. This is why I sometimes say those that really need and could benefit from hybrid cars often can't afford them.
Very good points, that hybrid is more expensive than non-hybrid when more realistically compared in street price rather than MSRP, and that Toyota should offer a stripped down hybrid so that people actually looking to save money with a hybrid aren't forced to pay for all the extras they don't really need. Hopefully Toyota is listening.
Old 05-13-08, 08:11 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I've done a cost analysis of a Prius vs a basic Corolla/Civic/Cobalt and can't make the Prius make sense anytime in the first 100k miles, and for it to make sense AFTER 100k miles you have to assume that the cost of replacement batteries will be significantly less than it is today.
Old 05-13-08, 08:12 AM
cpone
There can only be One

Originally Posted by cherplex
It's worth it if your round trip commute is more than 100-120 miles a day.
Say it is though.
You don't really get better gas mileage on those trips. Generally those 100 mile a day commutes involve lots of Highway, which sort of defeats the purpose of a hybrid already. no?

I been thinking of doing the same thing as the OP, but my Matrix gets like 30+MPG already.

I don't want to make the political but with this is just may get there, but the tax credits no matter who we get as president are coming back. And THEN it may make it much more reasonable for people to get into hybrids and alternative fuel vehicles.
Old 05-13-08, 08:18 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cpone
Say it is though.
You don't really get better gas mileage on those trips. Generally those 100 mile a day commutes involve lots of Highway, which sort of defeats the purpose of a hybrid already. no?

I been thinking of doing the same thing as the OP, but my Matrix gets like 30+MPG already.
I believe I was getting about 52+mpg on the freeway with my Prius as long as I averaged 65mph...anywhere above that the MPG drops off fast.

as far as my insight...I can achieve 70+mpg at 70mph....amazing car.

if you go to http://www.fueleconomy.gov and select 4 different cars you can customize your miles per year and city/freeway driving and compare what each car would cost you to drive per year and see the comparison for each vehicle right there.

in this example, I'd save over $850 a year by driving a Prius over the 4 Cyl Camry.

Last edited by bagwell; 05-13-08 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-13-08, 08:20 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little analysis I did yesterday.

Corolla is rated for 27/35, Prius for 48/45. Thats a difference of 21 MPG in the city and 10 on the highway.

However, the Corolla is not in the same class as the Camry (4 cyl) so the more appropriate comparison is 21/31 vs. 48/45, a difference of 27 MPG city, 14 hwy. Obviously, the Camry is a bit faster than the Prius which I feel should be noted, though that electric motor will take you off the line.

The price difference between Camry and Prius breaks down to $2380 not including any state tax breaks. According to Toyota's hybrid savings calculator, the Camry averaging 26 MPG and the Prius averaging 46.5 MPG you would save $863.87 by driving the Prius if you drive 14k miles a year and gas was $3.69 a gallon. Thus is it would take 2.75 years to recoup the extra cost of the hybrid. Now, if gas were still $2.69 a gallon it would take 3.77 years. It's making more sense to the hybrid.
What it really comes down to is whether or not you need a new car and would be spending the money anyway. Personally, I am at the point where I would wait or lease a hybrid. The next generation Prius is going to make some significant fuel economy gains and reportedly retain its current price. I'd assume that the third generation hybrid synergry drive will that be applied to Toyota's other hybrids.

So back to the question is it worth it? Well, my parents have seen 31 Hwy MPG in their RX400h. Their RX300 only got them 21 Hwy MPG. Its a nice boost and they too would rather spend the money for a cleaner environment and reduce the money going into the middle east.
Old 05-13-08, 08:21 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
I believe I was getting about 52+mpg on the freeway with my Prius as long as was I averaged 65mph...anywhere above that the MPG drops off fast.
Yeah I second that. Hold a reasonable speed and the hybrid system proves its worth on highway drives.
Old 05-13-08, 08:28 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell
Prius' now start at $21100...not bad....when I bought one in 2006, I also got the full tax credit of $3150 which I believe in now gone. The Prius is actually classified as a MIDSIZE car -- larger than the Lexus IS!!!!

I sold it about a year later when I found a 2000 Honda Insight with 47K miles for $8500.

I drive 55 miles RT a day and am averaging 72.1 MPG over the 17000 miles I've owned the car [I also carpool every single day with my wife].

This car more than pays for itself in the gas savings alone!!!!!!!!!

I routinely get over 700+ miles on a tank of gas (record is 970 when I topped it off 100%); I can usually squeeze in 10 gallons.

I fill it up about every 3 weeks.

Note - battery under warranty for 10 years 150000 miles

SO ARE HYBRIDS WORTH IT TO ME????? HELL YES!!!!!!

I like to screw the oil companies as much as I can.
Not to argue but, averaging 72MPG? Sometimes getting over 90? Are you sure? Toyota's rating is 48 city and 46 highway. Most Prius owners are reporting significantly lower ratings that what Toyota states.
Old 05-13-08, 08:31 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Not to argue but, averaging 72MPG? Sometimes getting over 90? Are you sure? Toyota's rating is 48 city and 46 highway. Most Prius owners are reporting significantly lower ratings that what Toyota states.
You got confused. Its an Insight, not a Prius. They're more efficient, but obviously not as practical.

I'm assuming that this Insight is a MT.
Old 05-13-08, 08:32 AM
cpone
There can only be One

Originally Posted by IS350jet
He said the Insight.
Its okay, we'll look away while you delete or edit your post.

Quick Reply: Are Hybrids worth it?