Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Make your own gas at home?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-08, 06:02 PM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make your own gas at home?

[B]The system takes feedstock (a combination of sugar and yeast) or discarded alcohol, and combines it with water to distill 100% pure ethanol. Turning sugar into gas may sound like the work of mad scientists, but according to CEO Tom Quinn, home ethanol production was advocated and used by Henry Ford when he created the Model T. I imagine that home-made ethanol wasn't as easy to make back then, because if it was, we probably wouldn't have switched to gasoline in the first place.

The MicroFueler produces ethanol using membrane distillation. Sugar, yeast and water are blended together to create the chemical reaction that produces ethanol. After two days, the fermented sugar water is turned into vapor, and the ethanol is separated from the water. By the end of the week, the MicroFueler reservoir will hold 35 gallons of pure ethanol, enough to fill at least two cars. This is a lot like Dean Kamen's water purifier, except in reverse. In fact, creator Floyd Butterfield says the water by-product is clean enough to drink.

The most astounding part is that a car doesn't require pure ethanol to run, due to its higher-than-gasoline octane content. E-Fuel says you can fill up your tank with 75% ethanol and 25% water and your car will run fine.

The price tag may seem steep, but federal, state and local tax credits can bring the price as low as $5000—average cost with credits is more like $7000. The creators say an average home will save around $4200 on gas each year, and the machine will pay for itself in about a year and a half.

That said, people have been doing this on their own for a while. Plans available online estimate a true DIY machine costs about $500 to build, but for those who don't want to run the risk of spontaneous combustion (like me), the MicroFueler seems like a wise alternative. [E-Fuel]
Source http://gizmodo.com/388542/microfuele...for-pre+orders
Old 05-11-08, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

This will not work in normal gasoline-engine cars, which, by the nature of their fuel systems, can only tolerate E10 (a 90-10 gas-alcohol mix) E10, BTW, is Federally required in many areas. Ethanol mixtures higher than E10 deteriorate a number of fuel-system components in gas-engine cars. It can, however, be used in flex-fuel vehicles and those (mostly from GM) designed for E85 (85-15 gas-alcohol mix). If used in a flex-fuel car, however, it may be subject to a motor-fuel tax, which varies from state to state. I'm not enough of a lawyer to know all the details, but, in some cases, using homemade fuels without paying the tax on it is a legal offense.....people have been fined for making diesel biofuel at home and not paying the diesel tax on it.

The old saying that there are two certainties in life (death and taxes) didn't come about without reason.
Old 05-12-08, 01:53 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This will not work in normal gasoline-engine cars, which, by the nature of their fuel systems, can only tolerate E10 (a 90-10 gas-alcohol mix) E10, BTW, is Federally required in many areas. Ethanol mixtures higher than E10 deteriorate a number of fuel-system components in gas-engine cars. It can, however, be used in flex-fuel vehicles and those (mostly from GM) designed for E85 (85-15 gas-alcohol mix). If used in a flex-fuel car, however, it may be subject to a motor-fuel tax, which varies from state to state. I'm not enough of a lawyer to know all the details, but, in some cases, using homemade fuels without paying the tax on it is a legal offense.....people have been fined for making diesel biofuel at home and not paying the diesel tax on it.

The old saying that there are two certainties in life (death and taxes) didn't come about without reason.
So what are they gonna do when people start plugging in their vehicles at night and skip going to the gas stations all together?

Just curious as to what you think is going to happen when PHEVs & EVs become more mainstream.
Old 05-12-08, 09:18 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
So what are they gonna do when people start plugging in their vehicles at night and skip going to the gas stations all together?

Just curious as to what you think is going to happen when PHEVs & EVs become more mainstream.
Id prefer a water engine. In water...hydrogen seperation...out oxygen. Would be nice.
Old 05-12-08, 10:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Electricity cost will go up. There's no escape.
Old 05-13-08, 01:53 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Electricity cost will go up. There's no escape.
Ahh, but what if you have solar panels on the roof of your house and you live off the grid? Charge up your EV at home and get your electricity from the sun. There is an escape
Old 05-13-08, 03:51 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahh, but what if you have solar panels on the roof of your house and you live off the grid? Charge up your EV at home and get your electricity from the sun. There is an escape
The Government will use military satellites to position a cloud over your house.

There is no escape..
Old 05-13-08, 05:51 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Making your own ethanol might get you a visit from these guys . . .

Considering the tight restrictions on home distillation of ethanol, I don't see how this is practical unless you first get yourself an orange Dodge Charger . . .

and a hot sister named Daisy . . .

Hey, this might be a good idea after all!
Old 05-13-08, 10:25 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If used in a flex-fuel car, however, it may be subject to a motor-fuel tax, which varies from state to state. I'm not enough of a lawyer to know all the details, but, in some cases, using homemade fuels without paying the tax on it is a legal offense.....people have been fined for making diesel biofuel at home and not paying the diesel tax on it.
I'd be up for paying only .20 for a gallon (or whatever the tax is)....versus $3.60

Last edited by bagwell; 05-13-08 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-13-08, 11:45 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

I bet if you buy one of these machines the IRS gets sent a copy of your home address. Kinda like a guy I know who bought a top of the line color photocopier for his home back in the 90's the Secret Service paid a visit to him and ultimately locked him up for counterfitting. Back then all purchasers of this particular model had their records sent and reviewed by the SS.

I know a guy that makes bio disel in his garage using restarant throw away grease. He hasn't been visited yet....
Old 05-13-08, 11:59 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I wonder how much 'material' is required to yield 35 gallons of ethanol??
Old 05-13-08, 12:03 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I already make my own gas...in my behind.
Old 05-13-08, 12:21 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I already make my own gas...in my behind.
methane
Old 05-13-08, 01:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

You just answered your own question. Motor fuel taxes only apply to gasoline, ethanol, or diesel oil (petroleum or vegetable-oil based).....liquid fuels, not electricity for electric cars.

You're already paying utility taxes on your monthly electric bill.....use more of that electricity for your car and you'll pay the appropriate utility tax.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-13-08 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 10:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Sure. Spend $100K on solar cells that don't work at night and produce 15kVA for 3 - 4 hours (current full charge requirement for the Tesla). Wait. $100k won't buy solar cells sufficient for 15kVA for 4 hours with current technology for house AND car. Hmmm. Need better solar cells at lower prices before this actually becomes cost efficient. Or a spare battery we can drop in the car so we have one in the car and one getting charged while the sun shines. Nope. Batteries are not easily interchangeable.

(you do know you'll take 70A for 3 - 4 hours to charge the Tesla, right? And the normal home has 100A service, so you'd best not run your A/C while the Tesla is charging or you'll be popping breakers - unless you opt for the premium 200A residential service.)

Last edited by lobuxracer; 05-13-08 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Make your own gas at home?