Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GT-R (official Spec-V thread) Autoexpres review vid added

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 11:36 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
ORLY... anyone? How about giving us just one such example?
Are you saying that as in money is the problem and that not everyone has that kind of cash or that this can't be done to car to top the current GTR?
Old 04-09-08, 11:49 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Go to Pep boys and put some more stickers on your car. You didn't even read what I wrote, I started the thread and I love the GT-R and V-spec. You just want to argue and debate and you have NO POINT.

No where am I comparing the two, they are 2 drastic approches to supercar performance. Heck I can only speculate what the LF-A will do, the GT-R is currently in PEOPLE'S GARAGES.

I am not going to turn this into a GT-R vs LF-A pissing match, which is EXACTLY what you want to do.

Please, bait elsewhere.

I think every vehicle in this class is incredible and to pick one over the other is about preferences. None of us here can probably exploit these cars best abilities for 7+ minutes on a track

The GT-R is just STUPENDOUS for the money and the times it is accomplishing. It is simply amazing.

As for the LF-A, it is a different approach, more pure and it will cost more money. Also the LF-A is smaller than a 911, the GT-R is pretty huge.
a) I said the GTR is likely to cause acura and lexus to take their super cars back to the drawing board.

b) you said I cant put the LFA in the same boat as the NSX, implying what? that the LFA wont be going back to the drawing board but the NSX will? This in turn implies that the LFA doesnt need to go back to the drawing board because the GTR wont compete with it.

or perhaps you didnt mean to imply any of the above and it was just your typical honda hatred lashing out.
Old 04-10-08, 12:05 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Are you saying that as in money is the problem and that not everyone has that kind of cash or that this can't be done to car to top the current GTR?
I'm asking for just one example of a $20k-30k car with $30-40k in tuning and overall performance (in acceleration, grip and handling) on par with the GT-R.
Old 04-10-08, 12:07 AM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

it would actually cost more than just that much cause it would need to be street legal too which is a big issue...so there will need more than just slapping on some parts
Old 04-10-08, 12:11 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by inxexisten
it would actually cost more than just that much cause it would need to be street legal too which is a big issue...so there will need more than just slapping on some parts
Oh yeah, Dave600hL, I forgot to add legality and daily drivability to the list. All the mods need to pass emission and safety laws while maintaining enough torque down low at the same time.
Old 04-10-08, 12:20 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

The GTR is a joke, anyone could put $30-40K into a cheap car around $20-30K car and have it run those lap times and still be of the same quality build. Performance is not everything which the GTR fan boys keep on pointing out, there is more to it which the other cars in this performance class are providing which the GTR is not.
I sat in one and play with it a bit tonight I don't see anything cheap about the new GTR... care to explain why you think this car is a joke???
Old 04-10-08, 12:55 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

I'm asking for just one example of a $20k-30k car with $30-40k in tuning and overall performance (in acceleration, grip and handling) on par with the GT-R.
It is so easy to bring a Evo or a WRX up to the times you are talking about for minimal cash. All have 4WD and will handle better than an almost 4000Lbs brick.

Originally Posted by inxexisten
Oh yeah, Dave600hL, I forgot to add legality and daily drivability to the list. All the mods need to pass emission and safety laws while maintaining enough torque down low at the same time.
Getting the cars I mentioned street legal would not be that hard.
Originally Posted by splitfire
I sat in one and play with it a bit tonight I don't see anything cheap about the new GTR... care to explain why you think this car is a joke???
I drove one for 2 hours on a test drive and I stand by my intial impression that it will be a rattle box within a very short period of time. Also I have had two friends now who have bought the car and then sold it very shortly there after. If the car was that great I don't think turnover like that is doing it any good. And why I think it is a joke, is b/c everyone is going on about how it is a super car eater, when the fact of the matter is that it cannot be compared to the cars of the likes of Ferrari ect on performance alone. Sure it is a great car for its class but that is where it ends. And no I am not a nissan hater, I have had two nissans previously and I know what they are like.
Old 04-10-08, 01:07 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

troll alert, forum is becoming more and more like mbworld
Old 04-10-08, 01:22 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
troll alert, forum is becoming more and more like mbworld
You think what ever you want to think, but I have seen the response here in Japan and I have driven the car, I am entitled to my veiws. So Mr Jones , you can cry troll all you want, but just b/c someone does not agree with what the general consense of this car is does not mean they are wrong, remember that. Also remember that a very , very few people have actually driven this car in the states, but yet every one is experts on it, including you I suppose( now I am not saying I am an expert, but I have had more time with the car than most, including time with my friends).
Old 04-10-08, 01:33 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And why I think it is a joke, is b/c everyone is going on about how it is a super car eater, when the fact of the matter is that it cannot be compared to the cars of the likes of Ferrari ect on performance alone. Sure it is a great car for its class but that is where it ends. And no I am not a nissan hater, I have had two nissans previously and I know what they are like.
I agree with you mostly. I would agree with the others that the new GTR is probably going to be a super car eater in regards to performance numbers. It is clear that this car will perform and put a lot of cars that cost 5X more in its place performance wise. I would agree with you; however, that the GTR is NOT in the same class of car as those other super/exotic cars. It is clearly IMHO in Porsche 911/Cayman class only it will out perform them all for cheaper. I say the same thing about the LF-A though. No matter how well the LF-A performs when it comes out, I wouldn't put it in the same class as an Enzo. Performance wise it may best the Enzo, but it ain't no Enzo class. At best I'd agree that the LF-A would be in the Ferrari F430 range, but if I had $200K to drop for an exotic car, the LF-A probably wouldn't be it since for me I'm buying the mid engine exotic.
Old 04-10-08, 02:00 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

It is so easy to bring a Evo or a WRX up to the times you are talking about for minimal cash. All have 4WD and will handle better than an almost 4000Lbs brick.
Oh really? With the 2.0L or 2.5L turbo'd engines which already suffers from turbo lags until 4000rpm and 3000rpm respectively? What are you gonna do? Replace the engines with a 3.7L V6 from a G37 donor and then turbo it? It ain't gonna be cheap and that's just the engine. The 6-speed twin-clutch transmission also rules over your Evo/WRX's manuals in terms of speed. And then you'll have to deal with chassis balance after the engine replacement yada yada. Quite simply put, it'll cost much more than you think to achieve the all-rounded performance that GT-R has achieved.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 04-10-08 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-10-08, 02:28 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont understand the oh so passionate hate for Nissan and it's products. At some point credit should be given where credit is due, regardless of who made it. Why do we reiterate the same old tired feelings about this over-weight boat that rattles more than my pack of Tic-Tacs that can't even get out of its own fat *** way? There are more important issues with this car... Will this car even fit through a drive through? I mean it's cool to have such a fast car, but not if I have to stop at every damn weigh station I see. Is anyone else concerned that the destination charges on this car will be higher because its over-sized and carries too much baggage?
Old 04-10-08, 02:29 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE][I drove one for 2 hours on a test drive and I stand by my intial impression that it will be a rattle box within a very short period of time./QUOTE]

So you have 2 hours seat time in the car and you think this car will be a rattle box??? How hard did you drive the car?? You don't think the chassis is stiff?????????? My friend put one together this thing is freaking crazy for a production car!!

Also I have had two friends now who have bought the car and then sold it very shortly there after. If the car was that great I don't think turnover like that is doing it any good.
Well.. seeing that you are in Japan you probably know you can turn around and sell the car for make a pretty good profit right?? Even at Japanese dealer auction they were selling like a 10k+ over retail!! I do have access to sale result in Japan I do know what I'm talking about....

And why I think it is a joke, is b/c everyone is going on about how it is a super car eater, when the fact of the matter is that it cannot be compared to the cars of the likes of Ferrari ect on performance alone
Real buyer that buy the new GTR buy it for the performance and experiance... the fact is that the GTR does beat a few high price german and italian.. i wouldn't say they are in the same class but I don't see why you think the GTR is a joke... I know a guy has a Carrera GT just put down a deposit tonight.. my friend with the Mucielago is getting one... my other friend with a GT3 is getting one... I'm a owner of 2 Porsche 911s is putting my $$$ on one.. the guy that show up in a Ferrari tonight probably have a deposit on one too...

Hey Dave btw you do own a LS600hl in Japan right? Got any pic of your car?? I always wanted one would love to see your pic of your JDM LS600hl
Old 04-10-08, 02:41 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Oh really? With the 2.0L or 2.5L turbo'd engines which already suffers from turbo lags until 4000rpm and 3000rpm respectively? What are you gonna do? Replace the engines with a 3.7L V6 from a G37 donor and then turbo it? It ain't gonna be cheap and that's just the engine. The 6-speed twin-clutch transmission also rules over your Evo/WRX's manuals in terms of speed. And then you'll have to deal with chassis balance after the engine replacement yada yada. Quite simply put, it'll cost much more than you think to achieve the all-rounded performance that GT-R has achieved.
So now you are nit picking over turbo lag and its transmision? I thought we were only talking performance here? Thanks for proving my point b/c the GTR also has turbo lag while a ferrari dosen't and the ferrari also has a transmission that is better than the GTR, it also has better braking system yada yada.
Why is it that people can only see one aspect here? I built a 500+ rear wheel horsepower Silvia S14 nissan ( with a 2000cc SR20DET) for $20K plus about $20K for the car. It did the quater mile in 11.3 sec with me driving, probably would have gone faster with someone who could drive. So no, there is no need to go replacing engines b/c you could build a car that goes faster than the GTR with a better transmission and still have change left over... if we were only talking performance.
Old 04-10-08, 02:52 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

So you have 2 hours seat time in the car and you think this car will be a rattle box??? How hard did you drive the car?? You don't think the chassis is stiff?????????? My friend put one together this thing is freaking crazy for a production car!!
I drove it as hard as could which was not very hard, the raods here in the country side are not very good at all and it was shaking and bouncing about when going 50km/h. It was very , very fast and was very impressed in that department, but it just was not what I liked(interior ect)

Well.. seeing that you are in Japan you probably know you can turn around and sell the car for make a pretty good profit right?? Even at Japanese dealer auction they were selling like a 10k+ over retail!! I do have access to sale result in Japan I do know what I'm talking about....

Real buyer that buy the new GTR buy it for the performance and experiance... the fact is that the GTR does beat a few high price german and italian.. i wouldn't say they are in the same class but I don't see why you think the GTR is a joke... I know a guy has a Carrera GT just put down a deposit tonight.. my friend with the Mucielago is getting one... my other friend with a GT3 is getting one... I'm a owner of 2 Porsche 911s is putting my $$$ on one.. the guy that show up in a Ferrari tonight probably have a deposit on one too...

Hey Dave btw you do own a LS600hl in Japan right? Got any pic of your car?? I always wanted one would love to see your pic of your JDM LS600hl
One sold it for a profit while the other lost some cash due to a color choice mistake.(color does seem to matter) One of the guys who sold it has a GT3 and ferrari 460 and few BMW's, he just didn't like it.

Forgive my ignorance , but what does JDM stand for?

Quick Reply: GT-R (official Spec-V thread) Autoexpres review vid added