Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GT-R (official Spec-V thread) Autoexpres review vid added

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-08, 01:03 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I highly doubt that. Underbody pieces and some rear-end aero pieces will likely be added or changed.
well cosmetically speaking, front lip is the only thing that I have read so far, as far as underbody mods go, I have no idea. could be.
Old 11-12-08, 02:53 PM
LexFather

Do want...this is serious. Wow, Nissan is just really looking like the sports car boss hog from Japan, making TOyota and Honda and everyone else seem like boring *** Japanese Buicks.

Old 11-12-08, 09:39 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Do want...this is serious. Wow, Nissan is just really looking like the sports car boss hog from Japan, making TOyota and Honda and everyone else seem like boring *** Japanese Buicks.
Amazing what the GT-R is doing for Nissan's reputation isn't it . Think of the possibilities with the LF-A. Before you say Nissan has always had sports cars, that has not been the case. From the late 1990s to early 2000s, Nissan pretty much had no sports cars in their lineup.

The Z got enthusiasts interested in Nissan again, and the GT-R is what's really creating buzz right now for Nissan.
Old 11-12-08, 09:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Amazing what the GT-R is doing for Nissan's reputation isn't it . Think of the possibilities with the LF-A. Before you say Nissan has always had sports cars, that has not been the case. From the late 1990s to early 2000s, Nissan pretty much had no sports cars in their lineup.

The Z got enthusiasts interested in Nissan again, and the GT-R is what's really creating buzz right now for Nissan.
Nissan had a slew of sporty/sports cars and Toyota actually did too b/c they gave a fock about people that had a pulse. Nissan was BROKE in the late 1990s. Toyota wasn't. Nissan got bought by the friggin French. Toyota marched on with tons of profits. Today Nissan has tons of sports/sporty cars and image. Toyota is basically becoming known as the Japanese GM. Yuck.

Nissan
NX 2000
Pulsar
Sentra SE-R
Altima SE
Maxima SE 4DSC
240SX
300ZX

Toyota
MR2
Celica, turbo AWD (YES)
Supra
Camry SE (its no Maxima)

I don't want to hear what the LF-A "might" be able to do. I want to see it done. I'm not going to bash Acura for being ghey and not being a luxury brand and making us wait for them to be Tier 1 and not get on Toyota for being pretty damn ghey themselves with not one damn sports coupe and for making us wait for the LF-A.

Old 11-13-08, 09:28 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread on this but:

2009 Automobile of the Year: 2009 Nissan GT-R

Angels don't start singing when you spot a Nissan GT-R. Inside and out, the car looks anything but heavenly. Even in the so-called Comfort mode, it rides like a New York City subway car, shuddering over bumps and clattering from station to station. The engine sounds like a demonically possessed household appliance. The car weighs a ton - nearly two tons, actually - and understeers accordingly. The video-game vibe is so pervasive that a conventional manual transmission isn't even offered.

And you know what? We're still naming the Nissan GT-R Automobile Magainze's 2009 Automobile of the year.

Nissan's newest dream machine is the first Japanese supercar to call out the opposition - we're talking to you, Porsche - and whip its butt on its home turf at the Nü rurgring's Nordschleife. It's also the suddenly attainable object of desire for a generation of enthusiasts who drew up driving slammed Honda Civics, watching Video Option, and playing Grand Turismo 2/3/4/5. For decades, previous versions of the GT-R - sold as the Skyline GT-R but known for good reason as Godzilla - have been icons in Japan, but they were never exported to the United States. Now we know what we were missing, and man, are we happy that we've been invited to the party.

Check out these benchmarks: a conservatively rated 480 hp. 430 lb-ft of tire-smoking torque. Zero to 60 mph in a tick more than three seconds. A top speed of 193 mph. But numbers don't tell you how much fun the GT-R produces getting from point A to point B. We're talking about neck-snapping acceleration as you paddleshift through the brutally fast dual-clutch gearbox - buh-BANG, buh-BANG, bug-BANG, buh-BANG! The brakes are so good that a HANS device ought to be standard equipment. All-wheel drive translates into unparalleled traction. Oh, and you get all this for a mere $77,840, which is a fire-sale price by supercar standards.

Critics of the GT-R tend to be Eurocentric sports car fanatics who feel threatened by the brawny competence of this Japanese upstart, and they drone on and on about how the car feels clinical and detached. It's not a car, they say; it's a video game. It's no coincidence that the GT-R's debut at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2007 was scheduled to dovetail with its appearance in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. Or that the GT5 designers helped create the slick graphical readouts featured on eleven screens of not especially useful but amazingly cool data ranging from lateral and longitudinal g's to front and rear torque distribution.

Outside the video game community and a handful of cultists, the GT-R scores a big, fat zero in terms of cachet, and it doesn't earn many points for sophistication and grace. But Nissan wasn't out to emulate the 911 Turbo, the GT-R's acknowledged bogey; it was out to emasculate it. As a Porsche-killer, the GT-R is all about in-your-face styling and take-no-prisoners performance, and the traditional rules don't apply.

Going fast in the Nissan requires you to relearn the lessons taught in Race Driving 101. GT-R protocol calls for hammering the brakes and hurling the car into corners to cancel out its inherent understeer. Then, before reaching the apex, plant the throttle and let the computer figure out how to keep the car on the road by apportioning power among the four wheels. And while a 911 is teetering on the verge of slewing sideways and down a ravine, the GT-R is clawing ferociously out of the corner and rocketing down the next straightaway.

In the States, Nissan's sports car heritage rests primarily on the Datsun 240Z and its follow-ons. But in Japan, Z-Cars are sold as Fairladies, and the GT-R has been the premier high-performance totem since 1969, although it disappeared between 1973 and '89 and again went away in 2002. The top-of-the-line versions of the R32, R33, and R34 Skylines of the '90s showcased twin-turbo six-cylinder engines with all-wheel drive and two-plus-two seating. It was only natural that Nissan chose to follow this template with the sixth-generation GT-R. But CEO Carlos Ghosn wanted to make a global statement with the new car, so he gave chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno a clean sheet of paper and told him to go crazy.

Like its predecessors, the GT-R is a techno-geek's fantasy sprung to life. The handcrafted 3.8-liter V-6 benefits from variable intake valve timing and twin turbochargers mounted to the exhaust manifolds to help tame turbo lag. (It also manages a respectable 16 mpg in the city and 21 mpg on the highway in EPA tests.) The dual-clutch transmission swaps gears with no interruption in torque delivery. The ATTESA E-TS all-wheel-drive system can route up to 100 percent of the torque to the rear wheels or up to 50 percent to the front wheels. Although the body looks like a blunt instrument, it has a remarkably low 0.27 coefficient of drag.

The GT-R is built on Nissan's new Premium Midship platform with lots of carbon-fiber and forged-aluminum components to minimize weight. The car is big enough to hold two full-size adults and two munchkins. Factor in the Comfort mode, a fully automatic shift setting, and a legitimate trunk, and you might reasonably conclude that the GT-R could be used as an everyday driver. True, but would you hire Pablo Picasso to paint your house? Our position is that every trip to the supermarket ought to be a pretext for imagining that you're making a Time Attack run on the Tsukuba Circuit. That's what the GT-R was built for, and that's when it really shines, and that's why it's our Automobile of the Year.

All cars are compromises-between comfort and speed, between price and performance, between engineering and marketing. What we love about the GT-R is that it refuses to compromise where it really matters. It's not pretty. It's not comfy. It's not trying to make friends and influence people. It's not out to change the world. It exists for one reason and one reason only-to kick holy ***. And kick *** it does. You don't have to like it. You just have to stay the hell out of its way.
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...gtr/index.html

Last edited by speedflex; 11-13-08 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-01-08, 02:48 PM
LexFather

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/01/2...pecifications/

Lighter but possibly no more power??

Old 12-01-08, 02:52 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Yeah, what kind of crap is that? Surely they could tap out more ponies just by tweaking the ECU. But for twice the price of a base GT-R they better do more than just lop off some pounds.

But before getting to bent out of shape about it I'll wait for the official specs.
Old 04-29-10, 11:49 AM
LexFather

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoTkOxF_K9Q

Hot damn kudos to Nissan. I don't care if the price makes no sense this thing is incredible. I don't want to hear about the LFA either in this thread.

This car simply defies physics..hot damn!

Old 04-29-10, 11:55 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

0-60 3.2 sec, 1.12g on skidpad, they said they are going soon to do a nurburgring lap
Old 04-29-10, 11:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i agree with you mike. price aside whether it makes sense or not, i love how they push the limit and do the spec v the way it is. i love how the chief engineer doesn't just boost hp for whatever it is, but focus a lot more on the driving dynamics, weight, tires, etc.... now that's thinking from a real performance point of view
Old 04-29-10, 12:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
i agree with you mike. price aside whether it makes sense or not, i love how they push the limit and do the spec v the way it is. i love how the chief engineer doesn't just boost hp for whatever it is, but focus a lot more on the driving dynamics, weight, tires, etc.... now that's thinking from a real performance point of view
Yup..its literally twice the price of a stock GT-R and who cares.

Old 04-29-10, 12:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Gtrrrrrrrrrrrr
Attached Thumbnails GT-R  (official Spec-V thread) Autoexpres review vid added-godzilla.jpg  
Old 04-29-10, 04:49 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yup..its literally twice the price of a stock GT-R and who cares.
For twice the price it's still a fair price when you look at the company it's in performance wise. Pretty amazing car I think!
Old 04-29-10, 05:59 PM
LexFather

spec M is next! Or is that m spec? Lol

Old 04-29-10, 11:52 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Awesome stuff!