Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is it the end of Scion? Brand loses sales as 2nd-generation models struggle

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 10:22 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota RWD sports car ~20k please.
Old 08-06-08, 11:02 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I don't think that's possible anymore.

Hell, even Ford can't come up with a Mustang at that price. And they've cheapened everything...
Old 08-07-08, 07:43 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I don't think that's possible anymore.

Hell, even Ford can't come up with a Mustang at that price. And they've cheapened everything...
Ford also needs money because many of their marques are failing. They've already sold off more than half of it's luxury division and plan on axing another (Aston Martin, Land Rover, Jaguar). So they're probably churning a decent profit over idiots who can't see otherwise how shoddy the new Mustang really is. Toyota with tons of money to burn can afford to create a car that makes very little profit. If Hyundai can do it (with a BIG honking V6 and a very tuneable 4 cylinder) why can't Toyota?
Old 08-09-08, 12:21 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lose the youth theme and keep the brand as the low cost entry point to compete with the Koreans.
Old 08-09-08, 03:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
Scion Struggling, Considering Hybrid Under $20,000
Scion is in trouble and parent company Toyota is being forced to rethink the brand’s funky/youth image. It’s been a year since Toyota has released the second-generation versions of the Scion and the number of young people shopping Scion has dropped dramatically since 2006. It seems like it’s just not cool anymore to own a Scion.

Monthly sales for Scion have been declining since last September. However the streak ended in March 2008 after fuel-prices soared in April and Scion sales shot up 41.5 percent. Sales climbed 28.4 percent in May but were down again in June.

What happened? According to analysts Scion isn’t attracting its targeted audience as well as it had in 2004-2005. Scion executives are now considering something different - more along the lines of a green-image.

On the cards is a new Scion model says Jack Hollis, Scion’s vice president. “It could be a hybrid. We want a fourth product that buyers of the other three Scions don’t like.”

Whatever gets added, Hollis wants the sticker price to stay below $20,000.

Scion - only brand that fails while getting better sales, lol.
Old 08-09-08, 04:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

p.s. Scion has more sales than Mitsu or Audi, they sold 12k vehicles last month.

Sales up to July 2007 - 72644 vehicles
Sales up to July 2008 - 77741 vehicles.

So sales year on year are actually up almost 10%. 2nd Gen xB is selling around 30% better and xA is selling 100% better than last year.

Only downside is tC, whose sales dropped 28% but that car is very old now and due to replacement.

So yeah, so called journalists should check the story a bit before writing crap.
Old 08-09-08, 07:31 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Actually its 31k FULLY LOADED haha
That is a stupid amount of money to spend on a Scion. For that amount you can buy a used IS
Old 08-09-08, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma

They could probably do the mid-engine/RWD MR2 for 20K or under if they decontented it a little. In fact, Scion should consider putting their own nameplate on it. I personally thought it was a mistake to drop it from the American market.........the bozo Toyota marketers dropped it not only once, but TWICE.
Old 08-09-08, 07:50 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

1. I think the Tc would be pretty cool if you could get the 2.5L V6 and that would probably be pretty efficient too.

2. I still believe strongly that an $18k hybrid Scion would appeal to young, college graduate, out to buy their first car but want something fuel savy and not another Civic.
Old 08-09-08, 08:41 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
2. How bout an affordable hybrid. A hybrid that young people can afford, under $20k. Im 21 and that would certainly grab my attention.
And with Honda bringing back the Insight to join the Civic Hybrid, Toyota should make a xB hybrid with the Prius drivetrain, hell build the next xB off the current Prius platform.
Old 08-10-08, 12:11 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Scion should stop making so many funky looking wagon-like vehicles and start making light-weight great handling good looking sports car. And the car doesn't need so many features to begin with, since young people do modify their cars through the aftermarket route. xB should maintain because I agree it has its uniqueness, but xD(or previously xA) is really redundant. tC is good, but the body of the car should be trimmed down to make it look smaller and thinner instead of the current round chubby look. Also, I think having a turbocharged 1.8L might be a better idea than a Camry's 2.4L I4, because I think turbocharged engine offer sportier image as well as better modifying potential. I still think Scion/Toyota/Lexus combinations is not bad, just that they need to change the lineups a little bit in order to attract the groups they really aim for accordingly.
Old 08-10-08, 12:21 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually liked the new Xb...but I think the problem is that their lineup is so narrow that they only cater to the younger 20-30. This is such a competitive market, they still have to compete with the camrys, the corollas, the ISs and the accords
Old 08-10-08, 01:54 PM
Koma

I don't know why we didn't get the 2nd gen bB here instead of the xB we got.
Old 08-10-08, 04:25 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Why are we talking about Scion "failing"? As mentioned, they are outselling numerous brands even with only 3 niche models. Also, Toyota has made it quite clear that they want sales to remain low. In fact, if sales grew too much they would limit production.

I personally think the 2nd gen models are much better than the first. My only criticism is that the xB got a little too big with a bigger engine which hurt the fuel economy that everyone is looking for.

I considered the xD but went with a Yaris S sedan.
Old 08-10-08, 04:59 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Why are we talking about Scion "failing"? As mentioned, they are outselling numerous brands even with only 3 niche models. Also, Toyota has made it quite clear that they want sales to remain low. In fact, if sales grew too much they would limit production.

I personally think the 2nd gen models are much better than the first. My only criticism is that the xB got a little too big with a bigger engine which hurt the fuel economy that everyone is looking for.

I considered the xD but went with a Yaris S sedan.
It's not really failing in my eyes in terms of sales but I think they are not being the youth brand they wanted to be. Because they're cheap, fuel efficient and reliable vehicles they're selling to a larger audience than they originally intended (a lot of retired folk). It's not as sporty as I'd like it to be either. Even the tC isn't as sporty as the Celica was.

Quick Reply: Is it the end of Scion? Brand loses sales as 2nd-generation models struggle