Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan considering Infiniti GT-R (and other Infiniti news)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 09:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Nissan considering Infiniti GT-R (and other Infiniti news)

Nissan considering Infiniti GT-R

Posted Feb 11th 2008 10:29AM

Back in April '06, we reported on the disappointment expressed by Infiniti dealers over the decision to make the new GT-R exclusively a Nissan. But retailers of the company's premium brand, now branching out of North America and into markets in Asia and Europe, may have their prayers answered as Nissan considers creating an Infiniti derivative of the supercar.

The report comes from an interview with Nissan's design guru Shiro Nakamura in the January issue of Britain's Car magazine. "We have developed the platform and the transaxle powertrain – an Infiniti version is a future possibility," says Nakamura. "I have not done a study yet, but we are thinking about it." Promising words, though hardly the kind of confirmation dealers can bank on at this point, especially ones in the U.S. But with Infiniti dealers worldwide split over the direction of a potential new Q sedan, a GT-R derivative could do wonders as the brand's new flagship model, positioned above the G37 coupe, which is sold in Japan as the Nissan Skyline.

[Source: Car magazine]
via autoblog
Old 02-11-08, 10:05 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

$160k for this one?
Old 02-11-08, 10:21 AM
LexFather

^^No where close.
I think they almost HAVE to build it. Infiniti already has image problems still and it simply doesn't help IMAGE when the best performaning and costliest car is a Nissan, not an Infiniti.

We all know NIssan shares everything but I thought the GT-R was pretty much bespoke and shared as little as possible. Then you will have GT-R fans crying foul.

Me, I think they should do it. Hell why not? It could be a M6 killer, something of that nature. Not sure though if people will drop 80k on an Infiniti. Surely with more luxury etc, it will cost more.

Old 02-11-08, 10:35 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^No where close.
I don't mean MSRP, I mean actual selling price. We already know that Nissan GT-Rs are going for as much as $130k, presumably an Infiniti version would cost even more. I agree with you that the MSRP will be somewhere in the 80s.
Old 02-11-08, 10:45 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea. Just slap on an Infiniti badge and make the interior more lux with extra features. Price it at $85k. At the least, it should give us more supply of "GT-R"s.
Old 02-11-08, 11:01 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Isn't it just like the move by Toyota/Lexus of doing both Land Cruiser and LX470? Also Camry and ES300? I think this move is very unnecessary. All Nissan need to do is increase the allotment of the Nissan GT-R for the American market. Many American companies have done the similar things of selling essentially the same thing in different brands, and I think this is not the Japanese's tradition.
Old 02-11-08, 11:16 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

infiniti is trying to break away from simple rebadging... so i dont see that on the table.

beyond that, if they went ahead and built a higher end variant, maybe it would be like the relationship between the 911 turbo and 911 gt2?

me personally, i would rather see a $50k sports coupe as i think they're leaving a wide gap there.

i dont understand the ill feelings from infiniti not having a gt-r or gt-r like car at the moment. and im an infiniti owner. both are made by nissan. both brands are being built in a way i feel to be pretty reasonable.

i see the decision to market the gt-r as a nissan globally as potential upside for the infiniti brand, not downside.
Old 02-11-08, 11:40 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Isn't it just like the move by Toyota/Lexus of doing both Land Cruiser and LX470? Also Camry and ES300? I think this move is very unnecessary. All Nissan need to do is increase the allotment of the Nissan GT-R for the American market. Many American companies have done the similar things of selling essentially the same thing in different brands, and I think this is not the Japanese's tradition.
I would say it's more like Toyota offering the Supra and the 1st Gen SC. That move seemed to work out pretty well for them
Old 02-11-08, 11:48 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^No where close.
Not sure though if people will drop 80k on an Infiniti. Surely with more luxury etc, it will cost more.
I think that if enough people will drop 70K on the Nissan version, then they should feel pretty comfortable charging 80k for the infiniti version. I guess only time will tell.
Old 02-11-08, 11:58 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I never understood why this vehicle was being marketed and branded as a Nissan in the US in the first place.
Old 02-11-08, 12:25 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gengar
I never understood why this vehicle was being marketed and branded as a Nissan in the US in the first place.
Because it's a sports car, not a luxury car. The performance numbers and the name "GT-R" sells itself, people buying a Corvette or a Viper don't care that they're buying a Chevy or a Dodge, same with the GT-R
Old 02-11-08, 12:33 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Because it's a sports car, not a luxury car. The performance numbers and the name "GT-R" sells itself, people buying a Corvette or a Viper don't care that they're buying a Chevy or a Dodge, same with the GT-R
Clearly being branded as an Infiniti would mean luxury upgrades. Just changing the badging would be silly. Of course people buying a Chevy or Dodge don't care much for quality or reliability, but those buying Japanese brands certainly do.
Old 02-11-08, 01:24 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Clearly being branded as an Infiniti would mean luxury upgrades. Just changing the badging would be silly. Of course people buying a Chevy or Dodge don't care much for quality or reliability, but those buying Japanese brands certainly do.
What does reliability have to do with a sports car? I'm sure reliability is the first priority to everybody who's jacked up the boost on a Supra, Evo, GT-R, 1st Gen Eclipse, etc.

I'm not even going to discuss the fact that the Vette has won a few reliability surveys and that anyone who groups all Japanese or all American cars together should be sent back to high school
Old 02-11-08, 01:36 PM
gengar

What does reliability have to do with a sports car?
It has to do with a luxury sports car, and that's what we're talking about when discussing branding and marketing the GT-R under a (gasp) luxury brand. But it's clear you have no interest in either reading or comprehending.

I'm not even going to discuss the fact that the Vette has won a few reliability surveys and that anyone who groups all Japanese or all American cars together should be sent back to high school
Point out anywhere where I grouped all Japanese or all American cars together, and then perhaps we can start talking about who should be going back to high school. If anything, I grouped together buyers of these vehicles, who year after year in various studies, cite reliability as the reason they avoid American cars (70% of those buyers, according to last year's C/D) and cite reliability as the reason they buy boring Toyotas and Hondas and from other Japanese brands.
Old 02-11-08, 01:37 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

GTR has always been under nissan nameplate, making the GTR infiniti is like making the Z06 a cadillac. Both have long histories

Quick Reply: Nissan considering Infiniti GT-R (and other Infiniti news)